News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 18, 2017, 09:16:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 642371 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #750 on: March 30, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
^
VorFemme that is just so so true!

I have a situation like you described above.

I love working with my co-workers. During Lunch Break, we have a good time talking about all manner of G to R rated subjects, and have taken a stab at solving the world's problems.  ;D I get fidgety just sitting and talking, so I work on small knitting or crochet projects.

However, for 2 of my co-workers the idea of me not making something for them just hurts their feelings a little bit, I guess.

They really liked the (crocheted with burlap twine)reusable frozen pizza box shopping bag (holds 4 boxes!) I made for myself.  Darla and Tricia voiced their desire for me to make one for each of them. Jenny said that I had taught her how to crochet and I would probably be willing to teach them also. I wholeheartedly agreed!

The response? "Ugh, too much like work."

I really like these ladies. I think I will make Angel (our new boss), Darla and Tricia one of what is pictured in the link below, white with the trim done in their personal favorite colors:

http://crochetroo.blogspot.com/2006/10/little-aprons-free-crochet-pattern.html

It's a fun pattern and easy to do.

[I used the pattern for the white apron with pink trim for Jenny, Joy, our former boss, and myself years ago for Christmas.]

gmatoy

« Reply #751 on: March 30, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »
I am a substitute teacher and recently I took in a bunch of infinity scarves for some of the people at one of the schools. They loved and suggested that I bring in a bunch to sell. My response? Nope, not happening. People who love the free ones will nit pick on something they have to pay for!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #752 on: March 30, 2014, 07:16:40 PM »
I am a substitute teacher and recently I took in a bunch of infinity scarves for some of the people at one of the schools. They loved and suggested that I bring in a bunch to sell. My response? Nope, not happening. People who love the free ones will nit pick on something they have to pay for!

I did that with ruffle scarves for some volunteer coworkers.  I offered to teach people how to make them, but I refused to make any FOR people.  People said they were too hard to make...Seriously, you need a giant crochet hook and a thick cookbook.  They take 30 min to make in front of the TV. 

AmethystAnne

« Reply #753 on: March 30, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »
^
Okay, my curiousity is aroused. I heard that it takes a big hook and 30 minutes to churn one out. What does a crocheter do with a thick cookbook when making a ruffle scarf?

(I use US size 11 knitting needles to make ruffle scarves)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #754 on: March 30, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »
I was wondering about that too...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #755 on: March 30, 2014, 09:11:22 PM »
I once made 12 6-egg pavlovas in my home kitchen with a single, dodgy gas oven for a dear friend's daughter's confirmation.  Took me two full days cooking 2 at a time.

She paid for the ingredients, but quibbled a bit about me using frozen egg whites because it was a bit more expensive than fresh eggs.  I asked her what she wanted to do with six dozen egg yolks...

I used the frozen whites.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

bloo

« Reply #756 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
I once made 12 6-egg pavlovas in my home kitchen with a single, dodgy gas oven for a dear friend's daughter's confirmation.  Took me two full days cooking 2 at a time.

She paid for the ingredients, but quibbled a bit about me using frozen egg whites because it was a bit more expensive than fresh eggs.  I asked her what she wanted to do with six dozen egg yolks...

I used the frozen whites.

I am totally on your side on the egg whites, buuuuut... (threadjack alert!)

...I've got excellent recipes for custard-style ice creams (vanilla bean and peanut butter to name two) that call for lots of egg yolks! :)

Yum...I want ice cream now. ;D

Julian

« Reply #757 on: March 30, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
That I could live with, Bloo - egg white freezes just fine but yolks don't.  I know, I tried.   :-[

And if you could, you know, pretty please???  post the recipes in the appropriate folder?  Please??   :D

I have an ice cream maker and that sounds yummy!

bloo

« Reply #758 on: March 30, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
That I could live with, Bloo - egg white freezes just fine but yolks don't.  I know, I tried.   :-[

And if you could, you know, pretty please???  post the recipes in the appropriate folder?  Please??   :D

I have an ice cream maker and that sounds yummy!

LOL! I will hunt them down along with the appropriate folder! ;D

Julian

« Reply #759 on: March 30, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »
Thanks!!!!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #760 on: March 30, 2014, 11:44:50 PM »
^
Okay, my curiousity is aroused. I heard that it takes a big hook and 30 minutes to churn one out. What does a crocheter do with a thick cookbook when making a ruffle scarf?

(I use US size 11 knitting needles to make ruffle scarves)

Most ruffle yarns have a ruffly side with big holes and then a side with smaller holes that you knit/crochet.  Those loops are much smaller and when you try to find them as you unravel the ball of yarn it can become a pain. The yarn also has a tendency to twist coming off of the machine wrapped ball.  So you wrap the yarn around a large thick book to create tension as you unwind it.  The book acts as a very large spool. 

The crochet hook method is easier than using needles.  I'll attempt to create a drawing below

< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8-----------

Above, the "<" symbol is the hooked part and the "----------" is the rest of the crochet hook,  The numbers are the loops of yarn. 

To create a ruffle you pick up the loop furthest from the hook (#8) lift up and over the other loops and drop it off of hook, leaving only #1 on the hook.  loops 2-7 will follow #8 off the hook.  So your crochet hook will look like this
 <1-------------

pick up 7 more loops and start again. the #1 loop will turn into the #8 loop

I need to create a picture tutorial and post it somewhere :P

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #761 on: March 31, 2014, 12:35:50 AM »
When I knit with ruffle yarn, I just knit in repeated short rows - think 4 or 5 stitches. Very easy. Pick up the first loops instead of casting on and away you go.

Or, there's the non-ruffle-yarn method, which results in a bit more spiral ruffle - big needles, thin yarn, cast on a whole mess of stitches (approx length of finished scarf), *knit a row, knit front & back of every stitch for a row (doubling your stitches)*, and repeat between the ** a couple of times, then knit a row to finish. Very easy, but takes rather longer.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

AmethystAnne

« Reply #762 on: March 31, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
Thank you, PastryGoddess! Your description is excellant.

I've got a bunch of ruffle yarn and will crochet at least one using your instructions.

I am definitely not bringing this project into work. It would be rude to bluntly tell Darla and Tricia:
"if I didn't give birth to you, or you are not related to me by marriage, I am not making you a scarf."

FauxFoodist

« Reply #763 on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »
Thank you, PastryGoddess! Your description is excellant.

I've got a bunch of ruffle yarn and will crochet at least one using your instructions.

I am definitely not bringing this project into work. It would be rude to bluntly tell Darla and Tricia:
"if I didn't give birth to you, or you are not related to me by marriage, I am not making you a scarf."

I don't know -- you could have a t-shirt made up that says that and wear it to work (or have a knitting/crocheting tote bag made up with that sentiment printed on the side).

AmethystAnne

« Reply #764 on: March 31, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »
^
SoCalVal.....love it!  ;D

I think that would be a good thing for all of us crafters to wear or to carry who have been bugged by the clueless or the gimmegimmee's.