Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 159988 times)

bloo

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #750 on: March 20, 2014, 09:54:41 AM »
If it was just the prize, then I would 100% have said that. But since it's leading to me making a mass quantity for her gathering as well, I thought I could humor her a little.

We'll see if I've made a horrible mistake. I may be updating here in two months and you'll all be welcome to call me a bacon-fed knave then ;)

Nah - we'll call her a bacon fed knave of a SS who DIDN'T get told that she was being an SS & a bacon fed knave because you were hoping that things would go well...

Is this the same group that paid you ONLY for the ingredients on an order of the same pastries for a get together after you strongly suggested that they needed to "round up" to cover the labor? 

Yes, it is. I e-mailed her this time around so I could write everything down rather than talking to her during an event where we're both busy (which is what happened last time.) Explained again about the not being able to price, but this time was able to give her a time estimate (ends up being about 2 hours of labor per dozen) and the cost per pastry that the specialty baker in town gives. Will re-stress again once she decides how many she wants for her party.

And this is why I don't bake for a living. I hate dealing with people!

OT, but regarding the bolded...many years ago I bartended in SW Florida at a fairly nice restaurant. I loved mixing drinks. I reached a point where I hated dealing with people. The other bartenders loved working with me because I was the only one that volunteered for the service bar. All the bartenders wanted to work the bar so they could ensure good service to get the best tips, I guess they didn't feel like they were in control if they were stuck on the service bar. So whenever I worked, I'd grab the service bar quite happily.

BabyMama, you might be happy with baking for a living in the right conditions. I'm imagining you in your kitchen enclave and having a minion come bustling in and you shouting, "What is it?! I am creating! This better be important!"  ;D

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #751 on: March 20, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Haha, that's true! The sad thing is, I really like helping people. I just don't like confronting them, or dealing with money (so being a business owner is out!)

I have a friend who owns her own business and occasionally brings up potential new business ideas. Sure, finance it and manage it, and I'm there ;)

alkira6

« Reply #752 on: March 20, 2014, 10:37:29 AM »
Haha, that's true! The sad thing is, I really like helping people. I just don't like confronting them, or dealing with money (so being a business owner is out!)

I have a friend who owns her own business and occasionally brings up potential new business ideas. Sure, finance it and manage it, and I'm there ;)

After running my own business for about 4 years I have firmly decided that I would much rather be an employee.  Even just doing quarterly taxes was a nightmare.  Like you I started small with cookies being sold between classes when I was on campus.  I eventually got to the point where I rented a small commercial kitchen in the evenings from another business and had an actual license.  I absolutely hated dealing with people who wanted to bargain me down to absolutely nothing and got angry when it didn't happen, those who kept changing their digdangitty mind before the event I was catering (on one memorable occasion I made 4 times what I should have just from the fees I charged for changes after the contract was signed).  Then there were the people who were just nasty because I was a "servant".  These people were charged an a**hole fee in the form of higher charges and charges for things that I would usually comp for a decent customer.

There is a reason why I quit.  I am definitely not the type of person who should be in constant contact with people in this manner.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #753 on: March 20, 2014, 12:13:37 PM »
Another mailing list/site I was on for businesses called that a**hole fee a PITA tax, instead.  For Pain In The Asterisk (fill in whatever part of you hurts the worst after dealing with the particular customer) - and one business owner had one particular PITA customer that routinely got charged three times what anyone else paid, plus standard rush fees.  She said that knowing that when she worked on that customer's orders that she was getting paid "enough" to put up with the customer's shenanigans that it was a lot easier to deal with the indecision, bringing things in at the next-to-last-possible minute, and wanting the fastest possible turn around. 

She also convinced the PITA that bringing something in just before close of business & wanting to pick it up early the next morning cost TOO much - so she started bringing things in a day or two earlier.  But almost never a week or a month earlier....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #754 on: March 30, 2014, 03:18:08 AM »
My dad got one the other day.  He likes to bake, and pies are one of his specialties.  He will occasionally be asked to bake a few for a family party, and he bakes them (and other things) for birthdays and holidays.  The other day he got a call from the daughter of a friend, and she asked my dad if he would bake some pies to serve at her wedding reception. 

My dad said, "I'm really not sure I'd be able to.  I only have one oven.  How many would you need?"

The answer?  "About 30."  My dad told her he was sorry, but there was no way he'd be able to do it.

I wouldn't call the request rude or greedy, though.  It seemed more clueless than anything else, and she was cool about it and said she understood.  In terms of the space that would be needed, the ovens, the ingredients, the time spent, and having to get other people to pitch in so that it would have gotten done on time...well, for a casual/hobby baker who works full-time and is frequently tired, it wouldn't have been possible.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #755 on: March 30, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
^
I work in a school kitchen with 5 other lunch ladies. We prepare food for 440-450 daily.

That being said......

I mentally ran the scenario of 30 pies and all that would be involved in the prep, with our 4 institutional size ovens, and decided that ??? would be my reaction, even with our facilities and my co-workers helping me. It would be doable but that's a heckofalot of work. Especially if fresh pie crust were to be made, instead of using the already-made raw crust found in the frozen food section of the local grocery store.

And the friend-of-a-friend thought it would be possible for you Dad to made that many out of his home kitchen! wow. yeah she had no concept of all that would be involved.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #756 on: March 30, 2014, 06:14:35 PM »
I have noticed that people who don't cook at home have an odd idea of how much work is involved.

It is too much work for THEM to do - or possibly too expensive for them to outfit a kitchen with pots, pans, plates, measuring cups, spices, and all the rest of what is needed....

But since you (generic term for other people) already have all that stuff - then it's almost like it's FREE!  It can't be that much work, after all.

Same reaction to you (generic term for other people) sewing, knitting, cleaning, etc. for them because they can't do it due to a lack of equipment or skill, don't want to do it, don't have the time to do it, or don't have the equipment to do it & the time to learn to use the equipment WELL!

I have a kitchen, a sewing machine, a serger, a cover hem machine, and an embroidery machine; a computer; knitting needles (sold the Bond Incredible Sweater Machine due to issues with tendinitis in both wrists); embroidery needles, embroidery thread for hand & machine use, and all the stuff for everything that I want to make in my kitchen.  The rotisserie broke and I have never had a taffy machine - other than that....I have it or know a work-around (like buy it if it will take too long to do by hand). 

BUT - and this is a big one - I also don't have the time to do for others who aren't doing something in exchange.  If I sew for you and don't have time to fix dinner & clean house - then I need to either have you fix dinner & clean house OR pay someone else to do it for me.  Same thing for any of the other crafts that I do - I don't mind teaching crafts - but doing them is "fun" - doing it for you isn't "fun" (sorry about that, but it is the truth) and I'm not going to do it if I don't have fun or get paid enough to have fun doing something with the money!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:30:11 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

AmethystAnne

« Reply #757 on: March 30, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »
^
VorFemme that is just so so true!

I have a situation like you described above.

I love working with my co-workers. During Lunch Break, we have a good time talking about all manner of G to R rated subjects, and have taken a stab at solving the world's problems.  ;D I get fidgety just sitting and talking, so I work on small knitting or crochet projects.

However, for 2 of my co-workers the idea of me not making something for them just hurts their feelings a little bit, I guess.

They really liked the (crocheted with burlap twine)reusable frozen pizza box shopping bag (holds 4 boxes!) I made for myself.  Darla and Tricia voiced their desire for me to make one for each of them. Jenny said that I had taught her how to crochet and I would probably be willing to teach them also. I wholeheartedly agreed!

The response? "Ugh, too much like work."

I really like these ladies. I think I will make Angel (our new boss), Darla and Tricia one of what is pictured in the link below, white with the trim done in their personal favorite colors:

http://crochetroo.blogspot.com/2006/10/little-aprons-free-crochet-pattern.html

It's a fun pattern and easy to do.

[I used the pattern for the white apron with pink trim for Jenny, Joy, our former boss, and myself years ago for Christmas.]

gmatoy

« Reply #758 on: March 30, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »
I am a substitute teacher and recently I took in a bunch of infinity scarves for some of the people at one of the schools. They loved and suggested that I bring in a bunch to sell. My response? Nope, not happening. People who love the free ones will nit pick on something they have to pay for!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #759 on: March 30, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »
I am a substitute teacher and recently I took in a bunch of infinity scarves for some of the people at one of the schools. They loved and suggested that I bring in a bunch to sell. My response? Nope, not happening. People who love the free ones will nit pick on something they have to pay for!

I did that with ruffle scarves for some volunteer coworkers.  I offered to teach people how to make them, but I refused to make any FOR people.  People said they were too hard to make...Seriously, you need a giant crochet hook and a thick cookbook.  They take 30 min to make in front of the TV. 

AmethystAnne

« Reply #760 on: March 30, 2014, 09:12:35 PM »
^
Okay, my curiousity is aroused. I heard that it takes a big hook and 30 minutes to churn one out. What does a crocheter do with a thick cookbook when making a ruffle scarf?

(I use US size 11 knitting needles to make ruffle scarves)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #761 on: March 30, 2014, 09:30:49 PM »
I was wondering about that too...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #762 on: March 30, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
I once made 12 6-egg pavlovas in my home kitchen with a single, dodgy gas oven for a dear friend's daughter's confirmation.  Took me two full days cooking 2 at a time.

She paid for the ingredients, but quibbled a bit about me using frozen egg whites because it was a bit more expensive than fresh eggs.  I asked her what she wanted to do with six dozen egg yolks...

I used the frozen whites.

bloo

« Reply #763 on: March 30, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »
I once made 12 6-egg pavlovas in my home kitchen with a single, dodgy gas oven for a dear friend's daughter's confirmation.  Took me two full days cooking 2 at a time.

She paid for the ingredients, but quibbled a bit about me using frozen egg whites because it was a bit more expensive than fresh eggs.  I asked her what she wanted to do with six dozen egg yolks...

I used the frozen whites.

I am totally on your side on the egg whites, buuuuut... (threadjack alert!)

...I've got excellent recipes for custard-style ice creams (vanilla bean and peanut butter to name two) that call for lots of egg yolks! :)

Yum...I want ice cream now. ;D

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #764 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
That I could live with, Bloo - egg white freezes just fine but yolks don't.  I know, I tried.   :-[

And if you could, you know, pretty please???  post the recipes in the appropriate folder?  Please??   :D

I have an ice cream maker and that sounds yummy!