Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 187173 times)

KnitterKitty

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #795 on: April 01, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
I bought a mug from the Selfish Seamstress website:

Just because we're friends
Doesn't mean I'll spend my time
Fixing your ripped sh**

I dearly love my mug!  She doesn't spell the word out either, but it only has one asterisk.  It has a dress form to the left of the text.

You know, if the word was "shirt" it wouldn't need an asterisk....

Mom taught me to sew.  She refused to teach me to darn - in her opinion - "darning" something was just abut the same as cursing it - because every time she'd had to wear darned socks as a kid, she ended up with a blister at the site of the darn.  Darns in other garments might not have been as painful....but she just didn't enjoy doing them.  Ripped out knees in my brothers' pants got patched - but no socks were ever mended (store bought socks were too much trouble as you had NONE of the original yarn).

As a joke, I seem to remember someone saying "darn those socks", checking to see if they still had a hole in the toe, and then trashing them (both socks had a hole).  But I can't remember who did that...I've done it myself, since...kids have been known to tear things in less than thirty minutes the first time they wear them, sometimes they take less than ten minutes. 

I have the same gift - I snagged the hem of my matron of honor dress with a heel while getting dressed.  I grabbed tape off the secretary's desk to keep it up as I didn't have a sewing kit with me - I also learned to keep a small sewing kit with me....

The Yarn Harlot said something similar in one of her books.  Her version of darning is to say "Darn" as she drops the sock into the waste basket.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #796 on: April 01, 2014, 05:48:48 PM »
Back when I was a re-enactor I would sometimes darn undamaged clothes to make them look older...
NE England

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #797 on: April 01, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »
But, WHICH season of the 4th Doctor Who do you wish to have a scarf patterned after??

http://wittylittleknitter.com/relative-scarf-lengths/

Fun site.  :)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #798 on: April 01, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
He wore it in The Mask of Mandragora, season 14 so I guess its the shortest one!
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

BB-VA

« Reply #799 on: April 01, 2014, 09:52:06 PM »
Of course, now my brother wants a full-length Doctor's scarf. Maybe by Christmas . . . .

I am currently making one as well.  I have made two feet in three months so I'm thinking it's a very long term project.  No "please make me one too"s yet.

My DD is making herself one, it is over 20 feet and it is nearly done.  It have taken her 2 years so far and she plans to finish it by mid May when she wants to cos-play as the 4th Dr at a convention.

My daughter made one and wore it to a con with my old all-weather coat.  She got drafted into the costume contest.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Psychopoesie

« Reply #800 on: April 01, 2014, 10:44:49 PM »
I made the season 12 one. It was long but not that long. Maybe 10-12 foot long. It's a wearable length for everyday (for me anyway). Made it last winter, knitting in front of the telly.

Didn't take a pic of final scarf but here's the work in progress.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Psychopoesie/doctor-who-scarf---season-12

faithlessone

« Reply #801 on: April 02, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »
One from my boss' wife!

My boss' wife ("Lettie") is a terribly lovely person, sweet as anything, and a former professional pastry chef. She worked in restaurants as a young woman, and had her own bakery/fancy cake shop for a few years. She is an excellent baker. She still works for a catering company on a sort of freelance basis, helping out whenever they have particularly special events.

She came into the office today (with a basket of triple chocolate muffins - win!) and told us about something that happened yesterday. (And no, it wasn't an April Fool's Joke, though I wish it had been!!)

The SS in question was a friend of Lettie's eldest son - (let's call her "Anna"). Apparently she's a generally sweet girl, but naive and doesn't often consider the full consequences of things before she asks.

Anna phones Lettie up, and asks if she's busy this weekend. Yup, Lettie is actually putting on a reasonable sized party this Sunday, and is probably going to be doing a lot of cooking and baking over the weekend to prepare for it.

"Oh, great!" says Anna. "I'm having a party too. If you're cooking anyway, can you do me some sweet and savoury canapes?"

"For how many people?" Lettie asks, already preparing to say no.

"About 200? Ooh, and a cake too? 2 tiers would do, if there's sheet cakes to go with it."

Wow!!! Even if Lettie wasn't busy this weekend, that's a serious commitment! And with only 4 days' notice!! Thankfully Lettie's super-loveliness didn't prevent her from saying no in the firmest terms possible.  ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #802 on: April 03, 2014, 08:08:24 AM »
Completely oblivious.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #803 on: April 03, 2014, 11:43:40 AM »
I told my handyman “George” that I would make a baby blanket for his new first grandchild.  George offered to pay me, which I found rather gauche.  Then he demanded that the blanket have the child’s name on it.  I told him that I didn’t know how to do that and wasn’t sure it was even possible.  He adamantly insisted that it was possible and that I could do it if I tried.

I was going to make the blanket without the name, but it became a challenge to me, and I did manage to add a name, although it took more time than the blanket itself and was not fun.

Two years pass with no mention of the blanket.  Since I’m now making blankets for a children’s charity, I asked George about the blanket to get some feedback.  He said that the kid loves the blanket and that the kid’s cousins keep asking if they can have one. 

Am I wrong in thinking that this was a big fat hint? 

Actually, I’d consider making them blankets, but I know he’d want names on them.  Their names are longer and far more complicated than the grandchild’s name.

. . . but of course, it's not like it's work  ::)
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #804 on: April 03, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »
George is not handing you a hint - he is handing you a rope to tie yourself up in, making all the extra blankets with NAMES - so they don't get the wrong blanket taken home with a child.

Don't pick up the rope...leave it and the hints sitting there & ignore them completely.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #805 on: April 03, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »
I told my handyman “George” that I would make a baby blanket for his new first grandchild.  George offered to pay me, which I found rather gauche.  Then he demanded that the blanket have the child’s name on it.  I told him that I didn’t know how to do that and wasn’t sure it was even possible.  He adamantly insisted that it was possible and that I could do it if I tried.

I was going to make the blanket without the name, but it became a challenge to me, and I did manage to add a name, although it took more time than the blanket itself and was not fun.

Two years pass with no mention of the blanket.  Since I’m now making blankets for a children’s charity, I asked George about the blanket to get some feedback.  He said that the kid loves the blanket and that the kid’s cousins keep asking if they can have one. 

Am I wrong in thinking that this was a big fat hint? 

Actually, I’d consider making them blankets, but I know he’d want names on them.  Their names are longer and far more complicated than the grandchild’s name.

. . . but of course, it's not like it's work  ::)

I don't think he is. You asked him - he didn't volunteer the information. If he hasn't even brought it up at all I would assume he was just saying it to indicate how much the blanket is loved.

knitwicca

« Reply #806 on: April 03, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »
I am a knitter. I knit everywhere I am except on my job.
I am extremely picky about fibers I use.

I have no idea how many people have demanded that I make a sweater/pair of socks/baby blanket for them "because you do it all the time, it won't take long".
Oh, and payment? I don't think so.

I was wearing one of my favorite sleeveless tops recently and ran into an acquaintance. She complimented my top then asked if I would be willing to make one like it for her.
I replied "sure. The yarn was $80 plus tax and I get $20 per hour. This took about 8 hours to make. Let's round that off to $250."
She was incensed! "I can buy tops at Wal-Mart for $15 dollars each!"
"But not custom hand-knits made of top quality fiber."

She has not spoken to me since.  (shrug)

mime

« Reply #807 on: April 03, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »

I have no idea how many people have demanded that I make a sweater/pair of socks/baby blanket for them "because you do it all the time, it won't take long".

I was wearing one of my favorite sleeveless tops recently and ran into an acquaintance. She complimented my top then asked if I would be willing to make one like it for her.
I replied "sure. The yarn was $80 plus tax and I get $20 per hour. This took about 8 hours to make. Let's round that off to $250."
She was incensed! "I can buy tops at Wal-Mart for $15 dollars each!""But not custom hand-knits made of top quality fiber."

Is it OK to respond "Well, that sounds like a bargain! Why don't you buy one of those instead?"

Moonie

« Reply #808 on: April 03, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »
I crochet. Not an expert by any means, but I have made some nice things. My nephew and his wife were expecting and I made a blanket with a skull pattern in it for his pirate themed room and they loved it.

For Halloween, I was asked if I could make him a gnome hat and beard for his costume. I bit the bullet and found a pattern, bought it and the yarn needed for the project because I didn't have the specific colors needed. It turned out cute, but I doubt I'll ever use that pattern again.

Fast forward to right after Christmas. Nephew's wife posted a picture of a baby hat with a football theme...."Baby would really like a hat like this." My sister, the grandmother, posted, "I bet Moonie could make him one."  A couple of months later, my sister, brother, mom, and I were at dinner and my sister asked me if I had made her grandson the hat.  I said, "Oh, was I supposed to make one? I never got a pattern and the yarn. If you or his mother would like to buy them, then I would be happy to make it."  Subject has not come up again.
'

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #809 on: April 03, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »

She was incensed! "I can buy tops at Wal-Mart for $15 dollars each!""But not custom hand-knits made of top quality fiber."

Is it OK to respond "Well, that sounds like a bargain! Why don't you buy one of those instead?"
Yes. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~