News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 24, 2017, 04:58:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 606250 times)

CrazyDaffodilLady

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #795 on: April 03, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »
I told my handyman “George” that I would make a baby blanket for his new first grandchild.  George offered to pay me, which I found rather gauche.  Then he demanded that the blanket have the child’s name on it.  I told him that I didn’t know how to do that and wasn’t sure it was even possible.  He adamantly insisted that it was possible and that I could do it if I tried.

I was going to make the blanket without the name, but it became a challenge to me, and I did manage to add a name, although it took more time than the blanket itself and was not fun.

Two years pass with no mention of the blanket.  Since I’m now making blankets for a children’s charity, I asked George about the blanket to get some feedback.  He said that the kid loves the blanket and that the kid’s cousins keep asking if they can have one. 

Am I wrong in thinking that this was a big fat hint? 

Actually, I’d consider making them blankets, but I know he’d want names on them.  Their names are longer and far more complicated than the grandchild’s name.

. . . but of course, it's not like it's work  ::)
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #796 on: April 03, 2014, 10:54:29 AM »
George is not handing you a hint - he is handing you a rope to tie yourself up in, making all the extra blankets with NAMES - so they don't get the wrong blanket taken home with a child.

Don't pick up the rope...leave it and the hints sitting there & ignore them completely.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #797 on: April 03, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
I told my handyman “George” that I would make a baby blanket for his new first grandchild.  George offered to pay me, which I found rather gauche.  Then he demanded that the blanket have the child’s name on it.  I told him that I didn’t know how to do that and wasn’t sure it was even possible.  He adamantly insisted that it was possible and that I could do it if I tried.

I was going to make the blanket without the name, but it became a challenge to me, and I did manage to add a name, although it took more time than the blanket itself and was not fun.

Two years pass with no mention of the blanket.  Since I’m now making blankets for a children’s charity, I asked George about the blanket to get some feedback.  He said that the kid loves the blanket and that the kid’s cousins keep asking if they can have one. 

Am I wrong in thinking that this was a big fat hint? 

Actually, I’d consider making them blankets, but I know he’d want names on them.  Their names are longer and far more complicated than the grandchild’s name.

. . . but of course, it's not like it's work  ::)

I don't think he is. You asked him - he didn't volunteer the information. If he hasn't even brought it up at all I would assume he was just saying it to indicate how much the blanket is loved.

knitwicca

« Reply #798 on: April 03, 2014, 02:29:32 PM »
I am a knitter. I knit everywhere I am except on my job.
I am extremely picky about fibers I use.

I have no idea how many people have demanded that I make a sweater/pair of socks/baby blanket for them "because you do it all the time, it won't take long".
Oh, and payment? I don't think so.

I was wearing one of my favorite sleeveless tops recently and ran into an acquaintance. She complimented my top then asked if I would be willing to make one like it for her.
I replied "sure. The yarn was $80 plus tax and I get $20 per hour. This took about 8 hours to make. Let's round that off to $250."
She was incensed! "I can buy tops at Wal-Mart for $15 dollars each!"
"But not custom hand-knits made of top quality fiber."

She has not spoken to me since.  (shrug)

mime

« Reply #799 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »

I have no idea how many people have demanded that I make a sweater/pair of socks/baby blanket for them "because you do it all the time, it won't take long".

I was wearing one of my favorite sleeveless tops recently and ran into an acquaintance. She complimented my top then asked if I would be willing to make one like it for her.
I replied "sure. The yarn was $80 plus tax and I get $20 per hour. This took about 8 hours to make. Let's round that off to $250."
She was incensed! "I can buy tops at Wal-Mart for $15 dollars each!""But not custom hand-knits made of top quality fiber."

Is it OK to respond "Well, that sounds like a bargain! Why don't you buy one of those instead?"

Moonie

« Reply #800 on: April 03, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »
I crochet. Not an expert by any means, but I have made some nice things. My nephew and his wife were expecting and I made a blanket with a skull pattern in it for his pirate themed room and they loved it.

For Halloween, I was asked if I could make him a gnome hat and beard for his costume. I bit the bullet and found a pattern, bought it and the yarn needed for the project because I didn't have the specific colors needed. It turned out cute, but I doubt I'll ever use that pattern again.

Fast forward to right after Christmas. Nephew's wife posted a picture of a baby hat with a football theme...."Baby would really like a hat like this." My sister, the grandmother, posted, "I bet Moonie could make him one."  A couple of months later, my sister, brother, mom, and I were at dinner and my sister asked me if I had made her grandson the hat.  I said, "Oh, was I supposed to make one? I never got a pattern and the yarn. If you or his mother would like to buy them, then I would be happy to make it."  Subject has not come up again.
'

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #801 on: April 03, 2014, 03:54:36 PM »

She was incensed! "I can buy tops at Wal-Mart for $15 dollars each!""But not custom hand-knits made of top quality fiber."

Is it OK to respond "Well, that sounds like a bargain! Why don't you buy one of those instead?"
Yes. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

goldilocks

« Reply #802 on: April 03, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
I crochet. Not an expert by any means, but I have made some nice things. My nephew and his wife were expecting and I made a blanket with a skull pattern in it for his pirate themed room and they loved it.

For Halloween, I was asked if I could make him a gnome hat and beard for his costume. I bit the bullet and found a pattern, bought it and the yarn needed for the project because I didn't have the specific colors needed. It turned out cute, but I doubt I'll ever use that pattern again.

Fast forward to right after Christmas. Nephew's wife posted a picture of a baby hat with a football theme...."Baby would really like a hat like this." My sister, the grandmother, posted, "I bet Moonie could make him one."  A couple of months later, my sister, brother, mom, and I were at dinner and my sister asked me if I had made her grandson the hat.  I said, "Oh, was I supposed to make one? I never got a pattern and the yarn. If you or his mother would like to buy them, then I would be happy to make it."  Subject has not come up again.
'

Great response!!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #803 on: April 03, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »
I have sewing patterns (from smaller companies - not the "big four or five" in the USA, which would be Butterick, Vogue, Simplicity, McCall's, and Burda - which is European but available) - I'm thinking Stretch & Sew, Kwik Sew, Green Pepper, Saf-T-Patterns, Fashion Designs, Hot Patterns, and the like - which are NEVER "on sale" for a reduced price from the company.  The prices start at $15 to $20 each and may be higher on some of the "imported from Europe" or hand drawn to buyer's measurements patterns.

Anyone asking me to make them something that means *I* am expected to buy another copy of the full price pattern and the materials is going to be told a very simple "no".  If it is one of the Big Four (first on the list starting with Butterick) and I have a chance of finding the pattern "on sale" for less than $4 (maybe three to four times a year, depending on the brand & the release date of the pattern) - the answer might be "maybe".

But there are several hundred patterns in my sewing room that I already own - if you can find one that you like - your odds of getting anything sewn for you go up a LOT.  They may still not get the item sewn immediately - there is a lot more to do in my life than sew for fun - reminds me - time to check the washer, empty the dishwasher, and get dinner ready.  Anyone wanting to do the laundry, empty the dishwasher, and get dinner ready can volunteer to "help" so I can get to the sewing room before Friday afternoon.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

z_squared82

« Reply #804 on: April 04, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »
My mother (with a little help from me) recently finished a quilt to help raise money for my old high school. We were thanked by name in the auction catalog. A former classmate saw our names and asked if we would be interested in making some money and making a t-shirt quilt for her with t-shirts from the charity she support. Yay for offering right off the bat to pay. I came back with an estimate of $400-$600, and spelled out how much was for materials, outsourcing the quilting, and time. She didn’t outright refuse, but I don’t expect her to actually go for it.

alkira6

« Reply #805 on: April 04, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
I am having a *squee* moment right now.  A friend who knits is making me two pairs of heavy wool socks that are double thick.  In exchange I am restructuring two suit jackets to tailor them to her after a 40 pound weight loss.  The jackets are being recycled basically for material as I am taking them apart and remaking them.  I plan on making a pattern for these jackets as I take it apart so that I can maybe make one for my mom out of some of the wool from my stash.

Yes, we are quite happy about the exchange in labor.  (runs away to get her ever so nifty seam ripper)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #806 on: April 04, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
I am having a *squee* moment right now.  A friend who knits is making me two pairs of heavy wool socks that are double thick.  In exchange I am restructuring two suit jackets to tailor them to her after a 40 pound weight loss.  The jackets are being recycled basically for material as I am taking them apart and remaking them.  I plan on making a pattern for these jackets as I take it apart so that I can maybe make one for my mom out of some of the wool from my stash.

Yes, we are quite happy about the exchange in labor.  (runs away to get her ever so nifty seam ripper)

This^?  Is how it is supposed to work.   :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

darling

« Reply #807 on: April 04, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »

This^?  Is how it is supposed to work.   :)

Exactly!

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #808 on: April 04, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »
My Mom crochets baby blankets, she only knows how to make blankets because she can't follow patterns.  She makes a lot of them over the winter when she is bored and she is very happy to give them away,  We always have a stash of baby shower presents , so we all love it.  When she gets a lot of excess we have donated them, the local women's shelter and a crisis nursery both love to get them since she makes them with washable yarn.  The problem comes up when people ask for very specific yarn to be used.  She will make them in any color you want, but she only uses a less expensive yarn.  People just don't get why it's wrong to ask her to buy $60-70 worth of yarn for their blanket and they never offer to pay since they have never paid in the past!  They seem insulted when she says "bring me the yarn and I'll make the blanket".

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #809 on: April 04, 2014, 09:46:21 AM »
I'm happy to make stuff out of my 'stash' for minimal return.  But if you want a specific colour and/or type of yarn?  You buy it and I'll make it.

A coworker wanted a sweater for his daughter.  We went together at lunch and he bought the yarn.  I made the sweater.  It was such a simple pattern, it only took me a couple of weeks.  I brought it in and he asked me what he could give me for the knitting.  I told him I liked rum.  ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario