Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 184922 times)

goldilocks

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #810 on: April 03, 2014, 05:53:14 PM »
I crochet. Not an expert by any means, but I have made some nice things. My nephew and his wife were expecting and I made a blanket with a skull pattern in it for his pirate themed room and they loved it.

For Halloween, I was asked if I could make him a gnome hat and beard for his costume. I bit the bullet and found a pattern, bought it and the yarn needed for the project because I didn't have the specific colors needed. It turned out cute, but I doubt I'll ever use that pattern again.

Fast forward to right after Christmas. Nephew's wife posted a picture of a baby hat with a football theme...."Baby would really like a hat like this." My sister, the grandmother, posted, "I bet Moonie could make him one."  A couple of months later, my sister, brother, mom, and I were at dinner and my sister asked me if I had made her grandson the hat.  I said, "Oh, was I supposed to make one? I never got a pattern and the yarn. If you or his mother would like to buy them, then I would be happy to make it."  Subject has not come up again.
'

Great response!!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #811 on: April 03, 2014, 06:37:20 PM »
I have sewing patterns (from smaller companies - not the "big four or five" in the USA, which would be Butterick, Vogue, Simplicity, McCall's, and Burda - which is European but available) - I'm thinking Stretch & Sew, Kwik Sew, Green Pepper, Saf-T-Patterns, Fashion Designs, Hot Patterns, and the like - which are NEVER "on sale" for a reduced price from the company.  The prices start at $15 to $20 each and may be higher on some of the "imported from Europe" or hand drawn to buyer's measurements patterns.

Anyone asking me to make them something that means *I* am expected to buy another copy of the full price pattern and the materials is going to be told a very simple "no".  If it is one of the Big Four (first on the list starting with Butterick) and I have a chance of finding the pattern "on sale" for less than $4 (maybe three to four times a year, depending on the brand & the release date of the pattern) - the answer might be "maybe".

But there are several hundred patterns in my sewing room that I already own - if you can find one that you like - your odds of getting anything sewn for you go up a LOT.  They may still not get the item sewn immediately - there is a lot more to do in my life than sew for fun - reminds me - time to check the washer, empty the dishwasher, and get dinner ready.  Anyone wanting to do the laundry, empty the dishwasher, and get dinner ready can volunteer to "help" so I can get to the sewing room before Friday afternoon.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

z_squared82

« Reply #812 on: April 04, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »
My mother (with a little help from me) recently finished a quilt to help raise money for my old high school. We were thanked by name in the auction catalog. A former classmate saw our names and asked if we would be interested in making some money and making a t-shirt quilt for her with t-shirts from the charity she support. Yay for offering right off the bat to pay. I came back with an estimate of $400-$600, and spelled out how much was for materials, outsourcing the quilting, and time. She didnít outright refuse, but I donít expect her to actually go for it.

alkira6

« Reply #813 on: April 04, 2014, 09:40:23 AM »
I am having a *squee* moment right now.  A friend who knits is making me two pairs of heavy wool socks that are double thick.  In exchange I am restructuring two suit jackets to tailor them to her after a 40 pound weight loss.  The jackets are being recycled basically for material as I am taking them apart and remaking them.  I plan on making a pattern for these jackets as I take it apart so that I can maybe make one for my mom out of some of the wool from my stash.

Yes, we are quite happy about the exchange in labor.  (runs away to get her ever so nifty seam ripper)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #814 on: April 04, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
I am having a *squee* moment right now.  A friend who knits is making me two pairs of heavy wool socks that are double thick.  In exchange I am restructuring two suit jackets to tailor them to her after a 40 pound weight loss.  The jackets are being recycled basically for material as I am taking them apart and remaking them.  I plan on making a pattern for these jackets as I take it apart so that I can maybe make one for my mom out of some of the wool from my stash.

Yes, we are quite happy about the exchange in labor.  (runs away to get her ever so nifty seam ripper)

This^?  Is how it is supposed to work.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

darling

« Reply #815 on: April 04, 2014, 10:21:08 AM »

This^?  Is how it is supposed to work.   :)

Exactly!

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #816 on: April 04, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »
My Mom crochets baby blankets, she only knows how to make blankets because she can't follow patterns.  She makes a lot of them over the winter when she is bored and she is very happy to give them away,  We always have a stash of baby shower presents , so we all love it.  When she gets a lot of excess we have donated them, the local women's shelter and a crisis nursery both love to get them since she makes them with washable yarn.  The problem comes up when people ask for very specific yarn to be used.  She will make them in any color you want, but she only uses a less expensive yarn.  People just don't get why it's wrong to ask her to buy $60-70 worth of yarn for their blanket and they never offer to pay since they have never paid in the past!  They seem insulted when she says "bring me the yarn and I'll make the blanket".

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #817 on: April 04, 2014, 10:46:21 AM »
I'm happy to make stuff out of my 'stash' for minimal return.  But if you want a specific colour and/or type of yarn?  You buy it and I'll make it.

A coworker wanted a sweater for his daughter.  We went together at lunch and he bought the yarn.  I made the sweater.  It was such a simple pattern, it only took me a couple of weeks.  I brought it in and he asked me what he could give me for the knitting.  I told him I liked rum.  ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

alkira6

« Reply #818 on: April 04, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »
I'm happy to make stuff out of my 'stash' for minimal return.  But if you want a specific colour and/or type of yarn?  You buy it and I'll make it.

A coworker wanted a sweater for his daughter.  We went together at lunch and he bought the yarn.  I made the sweater.  It was such a simple pattern, it only took me a couple of weeks.  I brought it in and he asked me what he could give me for the knitting.  I told him I liked rum.  ;D

Yes, that is an awesome exchange.  My older sister now knows why I laughed hysterically when she asked me to make her a beaded brocade vest (back when vests were cool for women) and generously offered me the $40 she would pay for one of similar quality at the store. Only there was a problem.  The one in the store was thin printed cotton with plastic buttons and a tie in the back.  The one she wanted was this (the red one three pictures down) http://onedelightfulday.wordpress.com/2011/04/12/18th-century-vests-for-sale-on-my-etsy-shop/   only with a bit more embellishment.

I took her to the fabric store.  She got very quiet once she picked out her fabric and took a look at the price per yard.  The pattern I would be modifying cost $20.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #819 on: April 04, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
It seems like there are two kinds of people in the world. 

Those who understand the skill, time and money it takes to make great crafts are likely to appreciate the prices asked for these objects.  Unfortunately, those who understand are often able to make these objects themselves and don't have to pay retail prices. 

The other sort are those who equate 'craft' with the Elmer's Glue and macaroni projects made in the first grade for Mother's Day gifts.  These folks think that anything over 10 dollars is way out of line for something that someone has made at home in their spare time. After all, it's just a hobby, isn't it?

I feel for artisans because finding a market for the things they produce can be very difficult.       

POF

« Reply #820 on: April 04, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »
My husband and I visit a few juried shows every year and a fewer higher end craft fairs.  We are looking for specific and are willing to pay for craftsmanship.  There is a woman that I buy a quilt frm every year, she always offer to give me a discount .. but honestly she doesn't charge enough as it is.  Other people fuss about how $$$ they are.... so ... go to walmart and get a cheap one.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #821 on: April 04, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
Thipu-

You got it!  As a piano teacher, I get the "oh, music is SOO hard!  And then teaching it?!  Praises unto you!  That is so much work and a gift and a skill!"

or,
"well, why is my child not progressing?  You mean they have to practice regularly, not just go to lessons once a week?  All it is is pressing a few keys, once they can read the notes, what else is there?"

Yikes.  mostly I get the first ones.  :)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Carotte

« Reply #822 on: April 04, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »
"well, why is my child not progressing?  You mean they have to practice regularly, not just go to lessons once a week?  All it is is pressing a few keys, once they can read the notes, what else is there?"

Snarky me would be all "well, you tell me, it's your kid! my other students are usually lining up their first gig at the opera by now!".  ::)

mime

« Reply #823 on: April 04, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
It seems like there are two kinds of people in the world. 

Those who understand the skill, time and money it takes to make great crafts are likely to appreciate the prices asked for these objects.  Unfortunately, those who understand are often able to make these objects themselves and don't have to pay retail prices. 

The other sort are those who equate 'craft' with the Elmer's Glue and macaroni projects made in the first grade for Mother's Day gifts.  These folks think that anything over 10 dollars is way out of line for something that someone has made at home in their spare time. After all, it's just a hobby, isn't it?

I feel for artisans because finding a market for the things they produce can be very difficult.       

So true... and is this the source of the thought that handmade is less expensive? So many people think someone sews/beads/woodworks/etc. because it saves money. I know I've seen that mindset throughout my life. From building computers and making chocolate from the bean, DH and I know that making something is definitely *not* cheaper than buying it!

I think the difference between classic 'craft' and common 'craft' has been blurred, too. It has diminished the value of true craft and true craftsmanship so we no longer appreciate the practice or learning that have gone into a top-notch calligrapher, master woodworker, baker, or photographer.

I suspect it is even worse when people don't even recognize the skill, but just think it is a hobby, KWIM? Like taking advantage of a baker because, well, everybody's grandma bakes! It's not like it's that big of a deal.... so-and-so just really likes to do it. Or 'his photography can't be worth that much-- I can take pictures, too!', 'I don't need a calligrapher, my cousin bought a pen set and can write fancy.'

alkira6

« Reply #824 on: April 04, 2014, 02:23:20 PM »
So true... and is this the source of the thought that handmade is less expensive? So many people think someone sews/beads/woodworks/etc. because it saves money. I know I've seen that mindset throughout my life. From building computers and making chocolate from the bean, DH and I know that making something is definitely *not* cheaper than buying it!

I think the difference between classic 'craft' and common 'craft' has been blurred, too. It has diminished the value of true craft and true craftsmanship so we no longer appreciate the practice or learning that have gone into a top-notch calligrapher, master woodworker, baker, or photographer.

I suspect it is even worse when people don't even recognize the skill, but just think it is a hobby, KWIM? Like taking advantage of a baker because, well, everybody's grandma bakes! It's not like it's that big of a deal.... so-and-so just really likes to do it. Or 'his photography can't be worth that much-- I can take pictures, too!', 'I don't need a calligrapher, my cousin bought a pen set and can write fancy.'

For the people who do not respect what I do and have such a dismissive attitude I tell them that they are more than welcome to do it themselves since it is so easy.

Yes, some things I do are easy.  Making liqueurs is pretty much dumping stuff in vodka or brandy and remembering which ones have to sit and which ones nee movement, then there is tedious straining and proper bottling.  Some friends scoffed at the whole thing while snarfing down homemade vanilla bean ice cream on top of a homemade double chocolate brownie topped off with a brandied cherry sauce (homemade).  He was invited to host a meal at his home serving the exact same meal that I had just made and I would even provide the recipes that I used.  Until then he would not have one sliver of anything that I had made cross his lips.

Still waiting on that.

When he comes over he gets generic snacks and drinks while everyone else gets what I have made that day.  Yes, I am that petty.  It was the last straw from him scoffing at anything homemade.