Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 222645 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #825 on: April 04, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »
So true... and is this the source of the thought that handmade is less expensive? So many people think someone sews/beads/woodworks/etc. because it saves money. I know I've seen that mindset throughout my life. From building computers and making chocolate from the bean, DH and I know that making something is definitely *not* cheaper than buying it!

I think the difference between classic 'craft' and common 'craft' has been blurred, too. It has diminished the value of true craft and true craftsmanship so we no longer appreciate the practice or learning that have gone into a top-notch calligrapher, master woodworker, baker, or photographer.

I suspect it is even worse when people don't even recognize the skill, but just think it is a hobby, KWIM? Like taking advantage of a baker because, well, everybody's grandma bakes! It's not like it's that big of a deal.... so-and-so just really likes to do it. Or 'his photography can't be worth that much-- I can take pictures, too!', 'I don't need a calligrapher, my cousin bought a pen set and can write fancy.'

For the people who do not respect what I do and have such a dismissive attitude I tell them that they are more than welcome to do it themselves since it is so easy.

Yes, some things I do are easy.  Making liqueurs is pretty much dumping stuff in vodka or brandy and remembering which ones have to sit and which ones nee movement, then there is tedious straining and proper bottling.  Some friends scoffed at the whole thing while snarfing down homemade vanilla bean ice cream on top of a homemade double chocolate brownie topped off with a brandied cherry sauce (homemade).  He was invited to host a meal at his home serving the exact same meal that I had just made and I would even provide the recipes that I used.  Until then he would not have one sliver of anything that I had made cross his lips.

Still waiting on that.

When he comes over he gets generic snacks and drinks while everyone else gets what I have made that day.  Yes, I am that petty.  It was the last straw from him scoffing at anything homemade.

I have to know - what is his reaction to that?

alkira6

« Reply #826 on: April 04, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »
Copious amounts of pouting.  I told him that when his praise level reaches the same level that his dismissiveness and snark reached that I will welcome him back as a full guest.  He definitely had cat butt face when I gave him the pages and pages of copied recipes with handwritten amendments and comments that he would have to follow to make the meal that we had just had.

We have the type of relationship where this works.  Most other people would get a polite smile and no future invites.  He's been my friend for about 25 years and I know that sometimes he needs a good smack in the attitude to get him back level.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #827 on: April 04, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
Family is going camping this weekend, and DD is the quartermaster for her Venturing Crew, meaning she is buying the food supplies.

She wrote a good meal plan,
and then DH suggested the yummy chocolate and coffee energy bars with protein powder added, and chopped nuts that I make from scratch.  (for a travel grab-and go breakfast, and perhaps for dessert at dinner)

Umm, have you priced nuts lately?  And protein powder? 

Let alone, the time it takes to make them?  (They have to cool before you add the choco and then coffee drizzle)

But...I was not called to sub today and decided that I did have most of the ingredients (from a good sale not too long ago) so now my house smells like a bakery and coffee shop. 

I should get paid for NOT eating them now!

:)

before you ask, here is the recipe-

http://tinaschic.com/2014/02/coffee-chocolate-chip-cookie-bars/

(I add protein powder to the cookie bar mix, reducing the flour content jsut a bit, and sprinkle chopped pecans to the top of the bar before baking)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #828 on: April 04, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »
Re. the price of materials:

I mostly buy chart books and leaflets for cross-stitching now to placate DH because they're cheaper, but really it'd probably cost less in the long run if I bought complete kits than the materials piecemeal.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #829 on: April 04, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Once upon a time, a long time ago (okay, maybe six years or so) I went to an art show with my friend, Ellen.  Another friend was showing her oil paintings in the show, so we were going to show support.  Artist friend is a professional artist-masters in fine arts, free lance art director working with a very well-known publisher, the whole nine yards.  Her landscape paintings reflect real talent, as well as literally decades of experience.  Her work is priced accordingly.  Ellen?  Couldn't believe someone would try to charge so much for a canvas and some paint, seeing what they cost at Michael's. 

I did bend her ear back just a bit about hand-stretched canvases and good paints versus the cheaper brands, not to mention the time that goes into just one painting, but I don't think she really cared.  You can buy what my old art teacher called "sofa art" for next to nothing and that's what it should cost, dontchya know?  Really my opinion of Ellen went way, way down that day.

Recently we had an opportunity to take a craft class together and she was very interested.  She wants to make that particular craft to save some money over buying them at the store-scented candles.  I wish we had been able to take the class because maybe it would be another eye-opener for her.  Maybe buying the ingredients to make the occasional candle is going to be cheaper than buying a Yankee candle on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond, but not by much. 

Shalamar

« Reply #830 on: April 04, 2014, 05:05:50 PM »
homemade vanilla bean ice cream on top of a homemade double chocolate brownie topped off with a brandied cherry sauce (homemade)

ohmygoodness.  I'm in a puddle of drool over here.

Hillia

« Reply #831 on: April 04, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »
These stories all make me think of the tale of the factory which came to a complete standstill because of a malfunctioning piece of equipment. No one could fix it, so finally the owner, in desperation, called the top expert in the country to come in and consult.  The expert walks in, looks at the machine for a minute, and pushes a button.  Ta da!  The machine leaps into life and all is well.

A week later the factory owner gets a bill for $5000.50.  He calls the expert in a rage - how dare he charge that much to push a button?  The expert tells him, 'It's 50 cents to push the button.  It's $5000 to know which button to push'.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

magicdomino

« Reply #832 on: April 04, 2014, 05:31:27 PM »
Once upon a time, a long time ago (okay, maybe six years or so) I went to an art show with my friend, Ellen.  Another friend was showing her oil paintings in the show, so we were going to show support.  Artist friend is a professional artist-masters in fine arts, free lance art director working with a very well-known publisher, the whole nine yards.  Her landscape paintings reflect real talent, as well as literally decades of experience.  Her work is priced accordingly.  Ellen?  Couldn't believe someone would try to charge so much for a canvas and some paint, seeing what they cost at Michael's. 

I did bend her ear back just a bit about hand-stretched canvases and good paints versus the cheaper brands, not to mention the time that goes into just one painting, but I don't think she really cared.  You can buy what my old art teacher called "sofa art" for next to nothing and that's what it should cost, dontchya know?  Really my opinion of Ellen went way, way down that day.

Recently we had an opportunity to take a craft class together and she was very interested.  She wants to make that particular craft to save some money over buying them at the store-scented candles.  I wish we had been able to take the class because maybe it would be another eye-opener for her.  Maybe buying the ingredients to make the occasional candle is going to be cheaper than buying a Yankee candle on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond, but not by much.

Ah yes, the Staving Artists Sofa Painting.  I saw something on TV about how they are made.    An Asian artist paints the same scene on 8 to 10 canvases at a time, then he paints another 8 to 10, then switches to a similar scene.  He specializes in several different scenes, so he paints whichever scenes and sizes are in demand at the time.  It's the painting equivalent of a Chinese-made quilt.

Incidently, I have the 19th century version of a Starving Artist Sofa Painting.  When my parents had it appraised, they learned that the artist painted the same landscape over and over, not even bothering to sign it.  The elaborate guilded frame is worth more than the painting.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #833 on: April 04, 2014, 05:41:32 PM »
These stories all make me think of the tale of the factory which came to a complete standstill because of a malfunctioning piece of equipment. No one could fix it, so finally the owner, in desperation, called the top expert in the country to come in and consult.  The expert walks in, looks at the machine for a minute, and pushes a button.  Ta da!  The machine leaps into life and all is well.

A week later the factory owner gets a bill for $5000.50.  He calls the expert in a rage - how dare he charge that much to push a button?  The expert tells him, 'It's 50 cents to push the button.  It's $5000 to know which button to push'.

My mother knew a lady who used to be a secretary for a bigwig in a large company back in the fifties or sixties.  The version of that story I originally heard was about a generator & the inventory was flown in to fix it - turned out he listened to it and diagnosed wiring installed backwards in one place, which he marked with chalk....same fit thrown over how expensive the chalk mark was...

Her version was about a machine for the oil fields...she had to ask for an itemized bill because their accounting office was throwing hissy fits over the amount of money paid to fly the expert in, drive him to the installation in the field, only to have him make a couple of marks in chalk, and get driven back to the airport to go BACK on the airplane to his home office after about twenty minutes in the field, total. 

The itemized bill came in with the actual cost for the plane tickets (she'd made the reservations & had the invoices), the reasonable cost for the driver, the fifty cents or so for the package of sticks of chalk, and the large remaining amount for KNOWING the machinery well enough to diagnose the issue in twenty minutes instead of being billed at some high hourly cost for LONGER than twenty minutes....

Apparently the accounting office shut up and paid after being reminded that having the machinery out of commission for longer could have been much, much more expensive.  Especially if it burnt out and had to be replaced, not just a relatively minor repair due the inventor/engineer KNOWING the machine well enough to tell by sound what was wrong and how to fix it quickly.

And they had the itemized bill she'd submitted from the engineering consultant to file, so they'd dotted the "i" and crossed the "t" to their satisfaction.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:43:07 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

alkira6

« Reply #834 on: April 04, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »
homemade vanilla bean ice cream on top of a homemade double chocolate brownie topped off with a brandied cherry sauce (homemade)

ohmygoodness.  I'm in a puddle of drool over here.

;D  I was having a good couple of days and expressed it in cooking.  There might be a 2-3 month dry spell between really gourmet meals, so most of my friends appreciate them when they come.

BB-VA

« Reply #835 on: April 04, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
Thipu-

You got it!  As a piano teacher, I get the "oh, music is SOO hard!  And then teaching it?!  Praises unto you!  That is so much work and a gift and a skill!"

or,
"well, why is my child not progressing?  You mean they have to practice regularly, not just go to lessons once a week?  All it is is pressing a few keys, once they can read the notes, what else is there?"

Yikes.  mostly I get the first ones.  :)

There was an episode of MASH where a young piano player lost one hand.  He was terribly depressed, and Charles spent a lot of time working with him without much success, including finding music that could be played with one hand.  Finally, Charles kinda lost it, and told the musician (paraphrased), "I have hands that can make a scalpel sing, but I would love to be able to do what you can.  I love music, and I want to make it - I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music.   

I can so relate to that.  I took piano lessons, and I could read music and play some pieces decently, and note-perfect - but I didn't have the skill to make it really expressive.    I wish more of your parents understood that.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

magician5

« Reply #836 on: April 04, 2014, 10:17:07 PM »

"Good heavens, Mr. Picasso, this is just a few lines in black on a big white canvas ... and you say you want to charge money for this? My six-year-old could paint this!"
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #837 on: April 04, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »
There is a supposedly true story about the Spanish Picasso trying to order a custom made piece of furniture in France (bedroom storage with drawers - whatever you want to call it).  He could not get the cabinet maker a clear verbal picture (or the cabinet maker couldn't give him BACK the message of whether or not the verbal picture was clear or not) - so he grabbed a piece of paper & knocked off a quick sketch of the desired piece.

Then he asked for a price.

The cabinet maker was able to let him know that all Monsieur Picasso had to do was "merely sign the sketch"!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #838 on: April 04, 2014, 11:01:09 PM »
It seems like there are two kinds of people in the world. 

Those who understand the skill, time and money it takes to make great crafts are likely to appreciate the prices asked for these objects.  Unfortunately, those who understand are often able to make these objects themselves and don't have to pay retail prices. 

The other sort are those who equate 'craft' with the Elmer's Glue and macaroni projects made in the first grade for Mother's Day gifts.  These folks think that anything over 10 dollars is way out of line for something that someone has made at home in their spare time. After all, it's just a hobby, isn't it?

I feel for artisans because finding a market for the things they produce can be very difficult.       

So true... and is this the source of the thought that handmade is less expensive? So many people think someone sews/beads/woodworks/etc. because it saves money. I know I've seen that mindset throughout my life. From building computers and making chocolate from the bean, DH and I know that making something is definitely *not* cheaper than buying it!

I think the difference between classic 'craft' and common 'craft' has been blurred, too. It has diminished the value of true craft and true craftsmanship so we no longer appreciate the practice or learning that have gone into a top-notch calligrapher, master woodworker, baker, or photographer.

I suspect it is even worse when people don't even recognize the skill, but just think it is a hobby, KWIM? Like taking advantage of a baker because, well, everybody's grandma bakes! It's not like it's that big of a deal.... so-and-so just really likes to do it. Or 'his photography can't be worth that much-- I can take pictures, too!', 'I don't need a calligrapher, my cousin bought a pen set and can write fancy.'

Perhaps some of that is that, before the age of Industrialization and mass production, homemade *was* cheaper.  Quilts were cheaper when they were made of leftover scraps of fabric than now, when they're made out of the pretty, expensive specialty fabrics.  Etc.  And now it's the reverse.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #839 on: April 04, 2014, 11:13:32 PM »
Sometimes I tell my students that robots can be programmed to play piano, but it takes human touch to make music. 

Machines can produce many things, but human touch is what makes it wonderful.

(that applies to many areas of life)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.