News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 01:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 625045 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #885 on: April 15, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
I embroidered my initials in tiny letters on things that I cross stitched for Grandmothers.  One is now in my sewing room somewhere (cedar sachet with her initial on it).  The other grandmother's sampler...I have no idea where it ended up - must remember to ask Mom, she was the executor.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #886 on: April 15, 2014, 04:22:44 PM »
I just had one tonight!

I used to do a lot of cross stitch but my chronic illness put an end to that.  My mother's in a care facility and has a rather large cross stitch of mine hanging on her wall.

Tonight, one of the carers asked about it and, when told I'd stitched it, asked if I'd stitch one for her.  (Why, yes, Total Stranger, I'd love to spend 3+ months working on a cross stitch for you.)  My mum explained that I no longer do cross stitch due to my illness.  My mum said it was really awkward as the woman didn't seem to accept that answer and spent some time sighing over the cross stitch and saying how lovely it was and asking how much I'd charge to stitch one.

Watch out, because she will probably try to talk your mom into giving it to her...

That thought had crossed my mind but I thought maybe I was being cynical.  My mum wouldn't part with it voluntarily, and it *is* big.  If someone tried to steal it, they'd have a heck of a job sneaking it out of the building.

magicdomino

« Reply #887 on: April 15, 2014, 04:35:01 PM »
I just had one tonight!

I used to do a lot of cross stitch but my chronic illness put an end to that.  My mother's in a care facility and has a rather large cross stitch of mine hanging on her wall.

Tonight, one of the carers asked about it and, when told I'd stitched it, asked if I'd stitch one for her.  (Why, yes, Total Stranger, I'd love to spend 3+ months working on a cross stitch for you.)  My mum explained that I no longer do cross stitch due to my illness.  My mum said it was really awkward as the woman didn't seem to accept that answer and spent some time sighing over the cross stitch and saying how lovely it was and asking how much I'd charge to stitch one.

Watch out, because she will probably try to talk your mom into giving it to her...

That thought had crossed my mind but I thought maybe I was being cynical.  My mum wouldn't part with it voluntarily, and it *is* big.  If someone tried to steal it, they'd have a heck of a job sneaking it out of the building.

The thief would swear up and down that your mother gave it to her and just doesn't remember.  The carer may well be more honest than that, but I'd be prepared for the possibility.   :-\

BusyBee

« Reply #888 on: April 28, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »
I just had one tonight!

The thief would swear up and down that your mother gave it to her and just doesn't remember.  The carer may well be more honest than that, but I'd be prepared for the possibility.   :-\
Not cynical at all.  If it were me, I would take it asap to Kinko's (or a copy shop) and have it scanned and printed in color life-size.  Frame the print and bring it back to your mom so she could still enjoy it. 
People move around, things do disappear.  If someone else takes it or misplaces it, that carer will be the first to be blamed.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
« Reply #889 on: May 04, 2014, 09:52:43 AM »
One of the people I work with really appreciates what I make and that it's handmade, but is always trying to get me to make something *just for her* at really discounted prices.  I made four bars of soap for her from a fragrance that she gave me, so gave her a really good price on that because she gave me the fragrance, which is one of the more expensive parts of the soap for me.  Plus, a pound of soap wasn't that big a deal (I made it while I was making a bigger batch to sell anyway).  Now she wants me to replicate a body mist that she and a friend love that's been discontinued.  It's very specific from her description (alcohol free, has aloe vera gel in it, has fragrances that I don't normally stock, etc) and I'm not sure I'll even be able to make it, let alone have it be a replica of what they want.  It's pretty clear from the way she's talking about this that she expects this to be discounted for her too, which is not going to happen.  Right now I've told her she needs to bring in a bottle of it, with all the labeling, so I can look at it and see if I can even get the ingredients listed.  If I can get the ingredients, I'll calculate out what it'll actually cost me, add in my profit*, and then ask if she really wants me to make it.

*Profit in this case equals actual profit plus an additional mark up for keeping it exclusive and not selling it to anyone and everyone, because she wants to keep it for herself.  So she gets to bear the entire cost of my research, practice, etc. 

You can always double that and tell her that's the exclusive charge - but if she doesn't mind you putting the fragrance into your regular inventory....you can cut the price down to - something close to your regular price. 

Not sure I'd discount her at all, she sounds like a potential PITA client (pain in the asterisk).

And the PITA part of this coworker has shown herself!  She "couldn't find" any of the body mist anywhere, so she took a picture of her lotion with the same scent and sent that to me with the comment "You can figure it out from this, I bet!".  Uh, no.  No I can't.  Body mist and lotion have completely different ingredients and proportions!  So I took the picture home, along with a cotton ball soaked with the lotion that would supposedly help me figure out the scent part, waited a few days and then told her I can't replicate the scent, so no go.  She's incredibly disappointed that I can't figure out a body mist scent from a lotion scent ("but it's the same thing!") and is actually pouting at work.

rain

« Reply #890 on: May 04, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
ROFL
In search of a tag line

Amara

« Reply #891 on: May 04, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »
I think you just saved yourself a whole lot of misery.

Whimsyone

« Reply #892 on: May 04, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »
When I worked at a college I seemed to be the only woman in the building with a tool case. I am also a jewelry designer.
One day a friend came in with a broken necklace and asked me to repair it. All well and good....except beads were missing, which makes it a REDESIGN taking more than an hour.
The next day another friend came into my office with a task for me. (Word traveled fast!) Over that week I got several other requests. Then I got smart. "Well, I can do it for you for the low cost of $25.00! That's far less than the $100.00 charged by jewelry stores!" That was the end of all requests....never had another one!
"Half of being smart is knowing what you're stupid at." Anon.

lkdrymom

« Reply #893 on: May 04, 2014, 02:21:28 PM »
I just had one tonight!

Not cynical at all.  If it were me, I would take it asap to Kinko's (or a copy shop) and have it scanned and printed in color life-size.  Frame the print and bring it back to your mom so she could still enjoy it. 

As a fellow cross stitcher I beg you to take steps to protect your work.  I know how much effort goes into a project. I actually just finished one project I literally started 20 years ago. Now that I have more time on my hands I have been doing a lot of cross stitch.  I completed a cross stitch Christmas stocking and am now working on another. Took me three months to complete and I must have put at least 100 hours into it. At minimum wage it makes it an $800 stocking.
People move around, things do disappear.  If someone else takes it or misplaces it, that carer will be the first to be blamed.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #894 on: May 04, 2014, 04:21:09 PM »

As a fellow cross stitcher I beg you to take steps to protect your work.  I know how much effort goes into a project. I actually just finished one project I literally started 20 years ago. Now that I have more time on my hands I have been doing a lot of cross stitch.  I completed a cross stitch Christmas stocking and am now working on another. Took me three months to complete and I must have put at least 100 hours into it. At minimum wage it makes it an $800 stocking.

My mother isn't senile or suffering from dementia and the cross stitch has my name on it.  If it goes missing, she'll be the first to kick up a fuss.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #895 on: May 05, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
My of my quilts are not "scrap" quilts, but very well-coordinated patterns.   Although after I get a pile of leftover fabric (i always buy too much) I might make something with it.
Better too much than too little.  Nothing is more frustrating that realizing halfway through that you need just a couple inches more of one particular fabric, and you can't get any more because it's been in your stash for 10 years and you don't remember where you got it.

Fabric made specifically for quilters is usually a limited run; if you want it buy it now, because in 6 months it will be discontinued.  Your quilt shop may buy only one bolt, so once it's gone, it's gone.

It may also be location based- my aunt used to hit the quilt shops in our area when she came to visit because she loved the aurora prints she could find there that they don't sell Outside. If she didn't grab it right then, her odds of ever seeing them again were nil.

She made me a quilt a couple of years ago and I was thrilled. When I emailed my mom for her address so I could write her a thankyou note, mom responded, "I'm sorry you like the quilt. I was going to offer to take it off your hands if you didn't like it.:-)" That's my mom. :)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #896 on: May 05, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »

And none of it goes in the dryer; in my house, the net bag is the clue that this item is hung to dry.

If only I could remember/find the net bags when doing laundry that would work great.  I have 3 of the suckers, but they like to travel.  Or I put them in a 'good place for the future' - too bad next week my idea of a great location isn't the same...

I usually keep them in my laundry baskets. When the bra or whatever comes off, it goes right into the bag. I also do that with anything stained, so I remember to pretreat it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #897 on: May 05, 2014, 03:21:51 PM »
My of my quilts are not "scrap" quilts, but very well-coordinated patterns.   Although after I get a pile of leftover fabric (i always buy too much) I might make something with it.
Better too much than too little.  Nothing is more frustrating that realizing halfway through that you need just a couple inches more of one particular fabric, and you can't get any more because it's been in your stash for 10 years and you don't remember where you got it.

Fabric made specifically for quilters is usually a limited run; if you want it buy it now, because in 6 months it will be discontinued.  Your quilt shop may buy only one bolt, so once it's gone, it's gone.

It may also be location based- my aunt used to hit the quilt shops in our area when she came to visit because she loved the aurora prints she could find there that they don't sell Outside. If she didn't grab it right then, her odds of ever seeing them again were nil.

She made me a quilt a couple of years ago and I was thrilled. When I emailed my mom for her address so I could write her a thankyou note, mom responded, "I'm sorry you like the quilt. I was going to offer to take it off your hands if you didn't like it.:-)" That's my mom. :)
Are you in Alaska, Winterlight?  I bought a fair bit of fabric when we were there a couple of years ago, and hit as many quilt shops as I could.  One shop right next to the hotel in Fairbanks, and every shop in a town that the cruise ship stopped at. :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #898 on: May 06, 2014, 07:12:11 AM »
I just had one tonight!

For the cross stitch addicts among us, please name your projects.
The days are long but the years are short.

Hillia

« Reply #899 on: May 06, 2014, 07:48:32 AM »

My mother isn't senile or suffering from dementia and the cross stitch has my name on it.  If it goes missing, she'll be the first to kick up a fuss.

That's great, but if it's already hanging in someone else's living room, there won't be anything anyone can do.