Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 180205 times)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #885 on: April 10, 2014, 07:22:48 PM »
A singer/musician friend of mine used to say the following about (not to, that I know of) those who wanted her to perform for free because "it's good exposure":

"People DIE from exposure!"
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #886 on: April 10, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »
Thanks Bloo, much appreciated!  (I think I may now have something to do this weekend - wet and cold forecast, what could be better than puttering around the kitchen?  ;D )

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #887 on: April 12, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »
Sort of an update about OldestDD's knitted ruffle scarf.......

During lunch break this week, I finished the variegated pink scarf. And then immediately started working on a scarf for me (in medium red-violet, according to Crayola Crayons).

Tricia and my other co-workers watched and commented that I made it look so easy. They didn't say anything when I was working on it, studied it, took the needles out and rolled the fishnet fabric back on the skein. And started it over again, knitted on it, looked at it, and started it all over again, again.

Tricia said that the red-violet would be pretty if it were done as variegated instead of as a solid. I agreed.  ;D

mime

« Reply #888 on: April 14, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »
Once a month, my mom and I join a group of women for a day of crafts. It started out as scrapbooking, but about half of us didn't really enjoy it, so it evolved into "do whatever creative thing you enjoy". The funny thing is, that even in this environment the non-appreciation for handmade items is still rampant in this group (or among certain members, anyway).

One day I brought my cosmetic supplies and was making a mineral foundation for my mom*. I passed her a little note saying "this is free for you, but when I give it to you, ask me how much you owe me". She knew what I was doing: we both knew that when the others in the room hear that I was charging my own mom $15 for foundation, they wouldn't ask for their own. It was perfect!

* It turns out I really don't enjoy making cosmetics, but I didn't know that until after I bought a handful of supplies for mineral powders, so I'll continue to make the stuff until I run out because I am too cheap to throw it all away.  ::)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #889 on: April 15, 2014, 06:45:28 AM »
One of the people I work with really appreciates what I make and that it's handmade, but is always trying to get me to make something *just for her* at really discounted prices.  I made four bars of soap for her from a fragrance that she gave me, so gave her a really good price on that because she gave me the fragrance, which is one of the more expensive parts of the soap for me.  Plus, a pound of soap wasn't that big a deal (I made it while I was making a bigger batch to sell anyway).  Now she wants me to replicate a body mist that she and a friend love that's been discontinued.  It's very specific from her description (alcohol free, has aloe vera gel in it, has fragrances that I don't normally stock, etc) and I'm not sure I'll even be able to make it, let alone have it be a replica of what they want.  It's pretty clear from the way she's talking about this that she expects this to be discounted for her too, which is not going to happen.  Right now I've told her she needs to bring in a bottle of it, with all the labeling, so I can look at it and see if I can even get the ingredients listed.  If I can get the ingredients, I'll calculate out what it'll actually cost me, add in my profit*, and then ask if she really wants me to make it.

*Profit in this case equals actual profit plus an additional mark up for keeping it exclusive and not selling it to anyone and everyone, because she wants to keep it for herself.  So she gets to bear the entire cost of my research, practice, etc. 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #890 on: April 15, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »
One of the people I work with really appreciates what I make and that it's handmade, but is always trying to get me to make something *just for her* at really discounted prices.  I made four bars of soap for her from a fragrance that she gave me, so gave her a really good price on that because she gave me the fragrance, which is one of the more expensive parts of the soap for me.  Plus, a pound of soap wasn't that big a deal (I made it while I was making a bigger batch to sell anyway).  Now she wants me to replicate a body mist that she and a friend love that's been discontinued.  It's very specific from her description (alcohol free, has aloe vera gel in it, has fragrances that I don't normally stock, etc) and I'm not sure I'll even be able to make it, let alone have it be a replica of what they want.  It's pretty clear from the way she's talking about this that she expects this to be discounted for her too, which is not going to happen.  Right now I've told her she needs to bring in a bottle of it, with all the labeling, so I can look at it and see if I can even get the ingredients listed.  If I can get the ingredients, I'll calculate out what it'll actually cost me, add in my profit*, and then ask if she really wants me to make it.

*Profit in this case equals actual profit plus an additional mark up for keeping it exclusive and not selling it to anyone and everyone, because she wants to keep it for herself.  So she gets to bear the entire cost of my research, practice, etc. 

You can always double that and tell her that's the exclusive charge - but if she doesn't mind you putting the fragrance into your regular inventory....you can cut the price down to - something close to your regular price. 

Not sure I'd discount her at all, she sounds like a potential PITA client (pain in the asterisk).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #891 on: April 15, 2014, 04:07:13 PM »
I just had one tonight!

I used to do a lot of cross stitch but my chronic illness put an end to that.  My mother's in a care facility and has a rather large cross stitch of mine hanging on her wall.

Tonight, one of the carers asked about it and, when told I'd stitched it, asked if I'd stitch one for her.  (Why, yes, Total Stranger, I'd love to spend 3+ months working on a cross stitch for you.)  My mum explained that I no longer do cross stitch due to my illness.  My mum said it was really awkward as the woman didn't seem to accept that answer and spent some time sighing over the cross stitch and saying how lovely it was and asking how much I'd charge to stitch one.

darling

« Reply #892 on: April 15, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »
I just had one tonight!

I used to do a lot of cross stitch but my chronic illness put an end to that.  My mother's in a care facility and has a rather large cross stitch of mine hanging on her wall.

Tonight, one of the carers asked about it and, when told I'd stitched it, asked if I'd stitch one for her.  (Why, yes, Total Stranger, I'd love to spend 3+ months working on a cross stitch for you.)  My mum explained that I no longer do cross stitch due to my illness.  My mum said it was really awkward as the woman didn't seem to accept that answer and spent some time sighing over the cross stitch and saying how lovely it was and asking how much I'd charge to stitch one.

Watch out, because she will probably try to talk your mom into giving it to her...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #893 on: April 15, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
Quarter million and she pays before the eye surgery (or whatever)....you'll get it back to her in five years or so.

Hillia

« Reply #894 on: April 15, 2014, 05:12:42 PM »
I just had one tonight!

Watch out, because she will probably try to talk your mom into giving it to her...

Sadly, this.  I would take it home before it walks away. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #895 on: April 15, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
I embroidered my initials in tiny letters on things that I cross stitched for Grandmothers.  One is now in my sewing room somewhere (cedar sachet with her initial on it).  The other grandmother's sampler...I have no idea where it ended up - must remember to ask Mom, she was the executor.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #896 on: April 15, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
I just had one tonight!

That thought had crossed my mind but I thought maybe I was being cynical.  My mum wouldn't part with it voluntarily, and it *is* big.  If someone tried to steal it, they'd have a heck of a job sneaking it out of the building.

magicdomino

« Reply #897 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:01 PM »
I just had one tonight!

That thought had crossed my mind but I thought maybe I was being cynical.  My mum wouldn't part with it voluntarily, and it *is* big.  If someone tried to steal it, they'd have a heck of a job sneaking it out of the building.

The thief would swear up and down that your mother gave it to her and just doesn't remember.  The carer may well be more honest than that, but I'd be prepared for the possibility.   :-\

BusyBee

« Reply #898 on: April 28, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »
I just had one tonight!

The thief would swear up and down that your mother gave it to her and just doesn't remember.  The carer may well be more honest than that, but I'd be prepared for the possibility.   :-\
Not cynical at all.  If it were me, I would take it asap to Kinko's (or a copy shop) and have it scanned and printed in color life-size.  Frame the print and bring it back to your mom so she could still enjoy it. 
People move around, things do disappear.  If someone else takes it or misplaces it, that carer will be the first to be blamed.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #899 on: May 04, 2014, 10:52:43 AM »

You can always double that and tell her that's the exclusive charge - but if she doesn't mind you putting the fragrance into your regular inventory....you can cut the price down to - something close to your regular price. 

Not sure I'd discount her at all, she sounds like a potential PITA client (pain in the asterisk).

And the PITA part of this coworker has shown herself!  She "couldn't find" any of the body mist anywhere, so she took a picture of her lotion with the same scent and sent that to me with the comment "You can figure it out from this, I bet!".  Uh, no.  No I can't.  Body mist and lotion have completely different ingredients and proportions!  So I took the picture home, along with a cotton ball soaked with the lotion that would supposedly help me figure out the scent part, waited a few days and then told her I can't replicate the scent, so no go.  She's incredibly disappointed that I can't figure out a body mist scent from a lotion scent ("but it's the same thing!") and is actually pouting at work.