Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 180349 times)

rain

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #900 on: May 04, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »
ROFL
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Amara

« Reply #901 on: May 04, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »
I think you just saved yourself a whole lot of misery.

Whimsyone

« Reply #902 on: May 04, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
When I worked at a college I seemed to be the only woman in the building with a tool case. I am also a jewelry designer.
One day a friend came in with a broken necklace and asked me to repair it. All well and good....except beads were missing, which makes it a REDESIGN taking more than an hour.
The next day another friend came into my office with a task for me. (Word traveled fast!) Over that week I got several other requests. Then I got smart. "Well, I can do it for you for the low cost of $25.00! That's far less than the $100.00 charged by jewelry stores!" That was the end of all requests....never had another one!
"Half of being smart is knowing what you're stupid at." Anon.

lkdrymom

« Reply #903 on: May 04, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »
I just had one tonight!

I used to do a lot of cross stitch but my chronic illness put an end to that.  My mother's in a care facility and has a rather large cross stitch of mine hanging on her wall.

Tonight, one of the carers asked about it and, when told I'd stitched it, asked if I'd stitch one for her.  (Why, yes, Total Stranger, I'd love to spend 3+ months working on a cross stitch for you.)  My mum explained that I no longer do cross stitch due to my illness.  My mum said it was really awkward as the woman didn't seem to accept that answer and spent some time sighing over the cross stitch and saying how lovely it was and asking how much I'd charge to stitch one.

Watch out, because she will probably try to talk your mom into giving it to her...

That thought had crossed my mind but I thought maybe I was being cynical.  My mum wouldn't part with it voluntarily, and it *is* big.  If someone tried to steal it, they'd have a heck of a job sneaking it out of the building.

The thief would swear up and down that your mother gave it to her and just doesn't remember.  The carer may well be more honest than that, but I'd be prepared for the possibility.   :-\
Not cynical at all.  If it were me, I would take it asap to Kinko's (or a copy shop) and have it scanned and printed in color life-size.  Frame the print and bring it back to your mom so she could still enjoy it. 

As a fellow cross stitcher I beg you to take steps to protect your work.  I know how much effort goes into a project. I actually just finished one project I literally started 20 years ago. Now that I have more time on my hands I have been doing a lot of cross stitch.  I completed a cross stitch Christmas stocking and am now working on another. Took me three months to complete and I must have put at least 100 hours into it. At minimum wage it makes it an $800 stocking.
People move around, things do disappear.  If someone else takes it or misplaces it, that carer will be the first to be blamed.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #904 on: May 04, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
Not cynical at all.  If it were me, I would take it asap to Kinko's (or a copy shop) and have it scanned and printed in color life-size.  Frame the print and bring it back to your mom so she could still enjoy it. 

As a fellow cross stitcher I beg you to take steps to protect your work.  I know how much effort goes into a project. I actually just finished one project I literally started 20 years ago. Now that I have more time on my hands I have been doing a lot of cross stitch.  I completed a cross stitch Christmas stocking and am now working on another. Took me three months to complete and I must have put at least 100 hours into it. At minimum wage it makes it an $800 stocking.
People move around, things do disappear.  If someone else takes it or misplaces it, that carer will be the first to be blamed.

My mother isn't senile or suffering from dementia and the cross stitch has my name on it.  If it goes missing, she'll be the first to kick up a fuss.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #905 on: May 05, 2014, 10:21:04 AM »
My of my quilts are not "scrap" quilts, but very well-coordinated patterns.   Although after I get a pile of leftover fabric (i always buy too much) I might make something with it.
Better too much than too little.  Nothing is more frustrating that realizing halfway through that you need just a couple inches more of one particular fabric, and you can't get any more because it's been in your stash for 10 years and you don't remember where you got it.

Fabric made specifically for quilters is usually a limited run; if you want it buy it now, because in 6 months it will be discontinued.  Your quilt shop may buy only one bolt, so once it's gone, it's gone.

It may also be location based- my aunt used to hit the quilt shops in our area when she came to visit because she loved the aurora prints she could find there that they don't sell Outside. If she didn't grab it right then, her odds of ever seeing them again were nil.

She made me a quilt a couple of years ago and I was thrilled. When I emailed my mom for her address so I could write her a thankyou note, mom responded, "I'm sorry you like the quilt. I was going to offer to take it off your hands if you didn't like it.:-)" That's my mom. :)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #906 on: May 05, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »

And none of it goes in the dryer; in my house, the net bag is the clue that this item is hung to dry.

If only I could remember/find the net bags when doing laundry that would work great.  I have 3 of the suckers, but they like to travel.  Or I put them in a 'good place for the future' - too bad next week my idea of a great location isn't the same...

I usually keep them in my laundry baskets. When the bra or whatever comes off, it goes right into the bag. I also do that with anything stained, so I remember to pretreat it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #907 on: May 05, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »
My of my quilts are not "scrap" quilts, but very well-coordinated patterns.   Although after I get a pile of leftover fabric (i always buy too much) I might make something with it.
Better too much than too little.  Nothing is more frustrating that realizing halfway through that you need just a couple inches more of one particular fabric, and you can't get any more because it's been in your stash for 10 years and you don't remember where you got it.

Fabric made specifically for quilters is usually a limited run; if you want it buy it now, because in 6 months it will be discontinued.  Your quilt shop may buy only one bolt, so once it's gone, it's gone.

It may also be location based- my aunt used to hit the quilt shops in our area when she came to visit because she loved the aurora prints she could find there that they don't sell Outside. If she didn't grab it right then, her odds of ever seeing them again were nil.

She made me a quilt a couple of years ago and I was thrilled. When I emailed my mom for her address so I could write her a thankyou note, mom responded, "I'm sorry you like the quilt. I was going to offer to take it off your hands if you didn't like it.:-)" That's my mom. :)
Are you in Alaska, Winterlight?  I bought a fair bit of fabric when we were there a couple of years ago, and hit as many quilt shops as I could.  One shop right next to the hotel in Fairbanks, and every shop in a town that the cruise ship stopped at. :)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #908 on: May 06, 2014, 08:12:11 AM »
I just had one tonight!

I used to do a lot of cross stitch but my chronic illness put an end to that.  My mother's in a care facility and has a rather large cross stitch of mine hanging on her wall.

Tonight, one of the carers asked about it and, when told I'd stitched it, asked if I'd stitch one for her.  (Why, yes, Total Stranger, I'd love to spend 3+ months working on a cross stitch for you.)  My mum explained that I no longer do cross stitch due to my illness.  My mum said it was really awkward as the woman didn't seem to accept that answer and spent some time sighing over the cross stitch and saying how lovely it was and asking how much I'd charge to stitch one.

Watch out, because she will probably try to talk your mom into giving it to her...

That thought had crossed my mind but I thought maybe I was being cynical.  My mum wouldn't part with it voluntarily, and it *is* big.  If someone tried to steal it, they'd have a heck of a job sneaking it out of the building.

The thief would swear up and down that your mother gave it to her and just doesn't remember.  The carer may well be more honest than that, but I'd be prepared for the possibility.   :-\

For the cross stitch addicts among us, please name your projects.
The days are long but the years are short.

Hillia

« Reply #909 on: May 06, 2014, 08:48:32 AM »

My mother isn't senile or suffering from dementia and the cross stitch has my name on it.  If it goes missing, she'll be the first to kick up a fuss.

That's great, but if it's already hanging in someone else's living room, there won't be anything anyone can do.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #910 on: May 06, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »
I have a new one, but at least she wasn't mean about it, just clueless.

A friend contacted me on behalf of a lady she worked with.  She knew that I sewed, but not to what extent.  Anyway, I talked with her friend.  This friend's daughter needed a prom dress for the prom in 2 weeks.  She didn't have a picture, or a pattern, just an 'idea' of what she wanted.  Apparently she'd already paid half of $300 to some other seamstress, and the dress was totally wrong.  She wanted to know if I could do it, and if not, who else could?

I explained that I was already working two jobs, and even if I had the time for this dress, designing, fitting, and finishing in 2 weeks would cost her several $thousand$ $$$$.  Even if there was a pattern to follow, the rush job would cost $hundreds$.   I suggested that she look in any of the great local thrift shops, or a bridal shop, and see what she could find.   Honestly, even if the girl is in the royal prom court, is it worth spending thousand$ for a prom dress?   I think I paid $30 for mine (for the fabric and pattern, anyway).

But she was nice about it, not shocked that I couldn't do it.  That's in her favor. 

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #911 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:02 AM »
Sort of a flip story here-

I was asked to sub for a single group instrument class for 50 minutes.  Sub pay is $40/half day, whether that "half" is one class or solid kids from doors open till lunch.  The coordinator had asked the music teacher to cover the one class, but "mumble mumble, so many excuses why she could not, even though she has the time open" So, to help justify my $40 for 50 minutes of class time, she asked if I could fold some cloth leftover from the school play.  Why not?  She is a friend, and she is recovering from surgery and in pain.  Plus, she promised it would be less than an hour.

The task was folding a couple of dozen 30 foot long heavy drapes/panelspanels of material from the play stage and folding them just so to fit away into the storage boxes.

I innocently asked, "Why are the drama students not helping with this?  It is a part of striking the set and there is still so much to move when this is done!"

"Oh, maintenance will move and put away the rest.  The director says the students need to work on theatre, and this is just busy work, so no need to waste class time on it."

wow.  The director's sense of entitlement-- that her coordinator (mid-level manager) would do the work deemed unworthy of her students.
Let alone, the pain of recovering from surgery and still in physical therapy, yet here she was, folding panels, in pain.

At least I was getting paid.  I wonder if the coordinator and maintenance staff got even a spoken thank-you.

Cuz, you know, striking a set is just not part of play production.  Putting away items you used, knowing how to replace them, respecting the work of others, learning how to build, and then unbuild a set, that is just busy work, not real work!

(must have changed since I was in HS and college productions, or else I went to the wrong schools!)

And she was right, I was done in well under an hour.  She was still working, plus trying to field phone calls and deal with some damage to equipment, and take notes, when I left. 

Maybe the director should be written about in the Special Snowflake thread. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

SoCalVal

« Reply #912 on: May 09, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »
Sort of a flip story here-

I was asked to sub for a single group instrument class for 50 minutes.  Sub pay is $40/half day, whether that "half" is one class or solid kids from doors open till lunch.  The coordinator had asked the music teacher to cover the one class, but "mumble mumble, so many excuses why she could not, even though she has the time open" So, to help justify my $40 for 50 minutes of class time, she asked if I could fold some cloth leftover from the school play.  Why not?  She is a friend, and she is recovering from surgery and in pain.  Plus, she promised it would be less than an hour.

The task was folding a couple of dozen 30 foot long heavy drapes/panelspanels of material from the play stage and folding them just so to fit away into the storage boxes.

I innocently asked, "Why are the drama students not helping with this?  It is a part of striking the set and there is still so much to move when this is done!"

"Oh, maintenance will move and put away the rest.  The director says the students need to work on theatre, and this is just busy work, so no need to waste class time on it."

wow.  The director's sense of entitlement-- that her coordinator (mid-level manager) would do the work deemed unworthy of her students.
Let alone, the pain of recovering from surgery and still in physical therapy, yet here she was, folding panels, in pain.

At least I was getting paid.  I wonder if the coordinator and maintenance staff got even a spoken thank-you.

Cuz, you know, striking a set is just not part of play production.  Putting away items you used, knowing how to replace them, respecting the work of others, learning how to build, and then unbuild a set, that is just busy work, not real work!

(must have changed since I was in HS and college productions, or else I went to the wrong schools!)

And she was right, I was done in well under an hour.  She was still working, plus trying to field phone calls and deal with some damage to equipment, and take notes, when I left. 

Maybe the director should be written about in the Special Snowflake thread.

Those students are going to be in for a rude awakening if they continue in theatre after high school!  I only participated in theatre from college on, but we were told in college that striking the set and putting away everything from the production after it was over was part of working on the production.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #913 on: May 09, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
Not to mention, there are only so many roles, and if you don't get cast, you're out of the activity--unless you, oh, become part of the set crew, or makeup, or costumes. In which case, definitely caring for your equipment (which you will use again the next production) is definitely a part of it!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #914 on: May 10, 2014, 09:22:37 PM »
Not to mention, there are only so many roles, and if you don't get cast, you're out of the activity--unless you, oh, become part of the set crew, or makeup, or costumes. In which case, definitely caring for your equipment (which you will use again the next production) is definitely a part of it!

Not to mention that if they do get a role and act entitled around the techs or musicians, they can find themselves very uncomfortable on stage. Don't tick off the stage hand who can set that table on stage slightly off mark. Or the costumer who can forget that extra safety pin you need -- and you end up having to hold up your costume with one hand while the crew snickers at you from the wings. Theater requires teamwork and there are punishments for people who don't get that.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain