Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 187256 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #915 on: May 10, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »
Not to mention, there are only so many roles, and if you don't get cast, you're out of the activity--unless you, oh, become part of the set crew, or makeup, or costumes. In which case, definitely caring for your equipment (which you will use again the next production) is definitely a part of it!

Not to mention that if they do get a role and act entitled around the techs or musicians, they can find themselves very uncomfortable on stage. Don't tick off the stage hand who can set that table on stage slightly off mark. Or the costumer who can forget that extra safety pin you need -- and you end up having to hold up your costume with one hand while the crew snickers at you from the wings. Theater requires teamwork and there are punishments for people who don't get that.

A former friend of mine was cast as the Wicked Witch in a small town production of the Wizard of Oz.  I was doing tech, and one of my assignments was to open the trapdoor that she went through after melting.  After she got a little snarky with me a few days in a row about having an "actual" role vs "just doing tech", I may have unlocked the trap door a little too early during tech week (it didn't affect her, but it made the scene look a little silly to have a random hole in the platform).  Point was made about "just doing tech" without my saying a word.  She was the biggest attention hound ever, and the thought of having her scene look silly in front of a live audience was totally anathema. 

luna_elvellon

« Reply #916 on: May 10, 2014, 11:26:22 PM »
Those students are going to be in for a rude awakening if they continue in theatre after high school!  I only participated in theatre from college on, but we were told in college that striking the set and putting away everything from the production after it was over was part of working on the production.

Yep. I did theater at a small college, and their drama department was small enough at the time that the cast even needed to help build the sets, collect props, and so on. I remember we even had to put in a minimum number of hours if we wanted to actually be in the show. I'd imagine a fair number of community theaters at least are similar as well.

Elisabunny

« Reply #917 on: May 11, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
Not to mention, there are only so many roles, and if you don't get cast, you're out of the activity--unless you, oh, become part of the set crew, or makeup, or costumes. In which case, definitely caring for your equipment (which you will use again the next production) is definitely a part of it!

Not to mention that if they do get a role and act entitled around the techs or musicians, they can find themselves very uncomfortable on stage. Don't tick off the stage hand who can set that table on stage slightly off mark. Or the costumer who can forget that extra safety pin you need -- and you end up having to hold up your costume with one hand while the crew snickers at you from the wings. Theater requires teamwork and there are punishments for people who don't get that.

A former friend of mine was cast as the Wicked Witch in a small town production of the Wizard of Oz.  I was doing tech, and one of my assignments was to open the trapdoor that she went through after melting.  After she got a little snarky with me a few days in a row about having an "actual" role vs "just doing tech", I may have unlocked the trap door a little too early during tech week (it didn't affect her, but it made the scene look a little silly to have a random hole in the platform).  Point was made about "just doing tech" without my saying a word.  She was the biggest attention hound ever, and the thought of having her scene look silly in front of a live audience was totally anathema.

My mother was a costumer at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival many years ago.  Some attitude toward her resulted in the star knight being dressed in pink for the dress rehearsal.  Attitude: quickly adjusted.  Yeah, don't mess with the support crew.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #918 on: May 11, 2014, 11:57:45 PM »
Except in this case, the "support crew" left with the remaining organizing and clean up was:

- paid maintenance staff who do oh so so many things on campus, and way more in May than any other month,

- staff coordinator/middle management still in recovery from surgery,

- me, for less than one hour, just a mom, no kids in drama, a sub pulled in just to help for a bit.

And all will be forgotten until next year, and it will be too late then, and so on...

and half the kids that were on stage will have graduated from several productions at this HS, expecting that when a performance is done, all you do is turn in your costume and place props in a pile somewhere, to let others deal with the clean-up.  Time for the cast party!

Oh, and just where was the director?  Taking the week off, since she was so tired from being so busy.  And her students?  Well, they had regular tests and classes and papers, plus some had AP exams. 

So, maybe that was their gift from the director?  Instead of helping strike set during drama class, get free study hall monitored by a sub.    Because, life always gives you a break when you need it.   :o ::)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #919 on: May 23, 2014, 02:42:59 AM »
I have been catching up on this thread, and just today I found this very timely anecdote: http://notalwaysrelated.com/you-reap-what-you-sew/30607

Reading all this, I have to say that anyone who thinks sewing is easy is an idiot.
I never got past the most basic straight stitching. I liked embroidery when I was little, because I could pretend to be Cinderella  ::). But then I got impatient and kept poking myself and the shine quickly came off it as an activity. I am ashamed that my mother's sewing machine sits in the basement gathering dust, but it scares the cr*p out of me. :-[

My mother was (in my eyes at least) an amazing crafter. She made me a stuffed giant doll (I just called her "Big Dolly" she was bigger than me originally), that was my constant companion for years. She made a red velvet strap dress for my Barbie that I thought was better than anything Mattel(r) sold. One Halloween, she made me and blue and pink satin jester's costume that I picked out of a book from the library. She fell away from it when her health declined (fibro :(), and I think she felt the effort/reward ratio was too out of sync. I hope she knew how much I appreciated her work. I don't think it was her passion, and she never made a big "thing" out of it - she just came from a generation/family that encouraged women to have 'home ec' skills as a (now pretty sexist) practicality. But she was good. Really really good.
~*~*~*

I learned first or maybe second-hand how hard making your own clothes can be. In this story, my ex-BFF and I were both the crafters and the 'clients' with high expectations. My xBFF 'A' and I were starting a business of hosting children's parties. We were going to be doing "Princess" theme parties - so we needed princess dresses. I don't know why my friend decided to make our dresses instead of buying them. Now she isn't a newbie. To give you some BG: Her favorite show is "Project Runway," and she has a degree in design. Oh yeah, she knows how to sew. But she was really ambitious with these dresses. She found a fairly heavy pink and then blue brocade fabric decorated with a flowery design in silver thread. She said she'd be Aurora and I'd be Cinderella.  ;) She found a pattern for a skirt and top - the top had billowing sleeves and the real work - eyelets (a ton of them!) to both attach the sleeves and lace up in the back with ribbon. I think you can find a pic of the pattern (or the closest I could find) here - it is the middle or 'B' pattern. I remember the sleeves being attached with eyelets. I don't remember how much the materials cost, but the labor was prohibitive. We did this project together and by some miracle managed not to kill each other. The work was tedious and difficult. We would never have done it for someone else, and we would never have asked anyone else to do it for us - but this is what we wanted and we accepted the challenge. We had several opportunities to wonder what in the heck we were thinking, and we both swore 'never again.' I still have that blue outfit stored somewhere - it was very sturdy and held up to numerous washings. And it doesn't look like it came from a store. They both looked better than store bought. We sold kids costumes on the side including Disney Princess outfits - so cheap and not in a good way. :P We never had anyone ask for dresses like ours (thank Deity), but we got plenty of compliments. The awe from the little girls who totally believed we were pincesses was kind of worth it. ;D

So yeah, I don't expect anyone who sews to 'whip up' anything for me 'just for fun'. I know it's their amazing patience and skill that make it only look easy. :)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Shalamar

« Reply #920 on: May 23, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »
I saw a thread on Reddit this morning that made me think of this topic.  In a nutshell, a small business owner posted on Reddit, wondering if the systems analyst she'd hired was actually doing any work.  The SA saw her post and countered it. 

One comment from the owner that really stood out was "I asked him to build me a website.  It took him two weeks and didn't even look that great.  I spent a weekend learning Wordpress and put a website together that looks much nicer."  His response:  "Yes, but mine actually WORKS.  Yours looks pretty, and that's all."

I'll see if I can find the link if anyone's interested.

Edited to add:  oops, systems ADMINISTRATOR, not systems analyst.   Very important difference.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 11:30:48 AM by Shalamar »

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #921 on: May 23, 2014, 11:38:42 AM »
I'm interested, Shalamar!  I designed and maintain a website, and it's work!  It's gotten a lot easier over time as I've gotten used to the maintenance and gotten much faster at it.  Building it was a lot of work, especially as I had to do all the graphics design myself as well, using photographs of quilts that the shop owned.  And mine doesn't even provide for online shopping (yet), so that's even more work, if that's what she wants.  I'd love to read the small business owner's side and the systems analyst's side.  :)

Softly Spoken, that dress looks and sounds absolutely beautiful.  :)  A lot of work, but beautiful.

Shalamar

« Reply #922 on: May 23, 2014, 05:19:31 PM »
I'm having trouble finding the thread on Reddit, MommyPenguin, but I'll post it if I do.  (Man, Reddit's search engine is terrible.)

I'm not a web developer, but I am a programmer, and I've had my own experience with people assuming that what I do is easy.  I used to have a supervisor who'd tell me "Add this field to this screen", then he'd come back an hour later and be outraged when I wasn't done. 

"What's taking so long?  That should take you an hour, tops." 

"Well, first I have to add the field.  Then I have to populate it.  Then I have to put in edits (if it's a date field, for example, I have to make sure that the user can't enter February 30).  Then I have to do some cross-editing (if the new field is dependent on another field containing data, and that other field is blank, I have to display an error - and vice-versa).  Then I have to make sure my program passes the value in the new field to all other programs.  Then I have to update the documentation."

Generally, I'd only get to the "Then I have to put in edits" part of my little speech before my annoyed supervisor said "Whatever.  Just do it as fast as you can."  It was obvious that he thought I was just making excuses.   >:(

Hillia

« Reply #923 on: May 23, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
Matt Inman, of The Oatmeal, worked as a web designer.  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell.  Naughty language.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Shalamar

« Reply #924 on: May 23, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »
Okay, let's try this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/26708d/how_can_i_tell_if_my_system_administrator_is/

Usual caveats about Reddit's NSFW language.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #925 on: May 23, 2014, 10:56:31 PM »
Thanks, Shalamar!  Fascinating read!

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #926 on: May 28, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
So yeah, I don't expect anyone who sews to 'whip up' anything for me 'just for fun'. I know it's their amazing patience and skill that make it only look easy. :)

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

I work in fashion as a technical designer for a large company. Which actually means that I do NOT sew for work. I have 70-100 styles to manage every season, and 4 seasons in a year. People sew for me.

I also sew burner costumes as well as my own clothing. I will offer up my sewing machine to friends who want to mend their own clothing & I will teach them how to use my machine (selecting needs/thread/stitch tension/etc), but the only people I sew for are myself, my beloved, and people who pay me in some way (and not a token payment either. An actual even barter).  I have several times had people do that casual breezy "oh, you can just fix this thing for me real quick" thing (usually the kind of people who make the 'favor' even more entertaining by saying something like "you can stop by my place & pick this up for me & then drop it off again, right?") but my steely stare followed by an extremely calm "I can teach you how to fix it, but I won't be able to fix it unless you pay me" stops all but the most persistent immediately.

The other is piano playing. When I was younger, I was super-good at playing the piano. I did weddings, funerals, other events. I haven't played seriously in about ten years. I bought a really nice keyboard for myself for Christmas, because I wanted to take it up again. Sadly, I currently can't because of a neck/nerve problem. I've several times had people learn about my playing by either seeing the keyboard, or hearing someone else refer to me being able to play and then say how they'd love to have someone come play at their party/kid's party/etc. Always for free, of course. Even if my skills were up to snuff, I don't play for free, and I don't even know if I'd accept any gigs, because my whole reason for getting back into playing was more my enjoyment only. I really have no interest in playing for anybody except maybe & maybe my closest friends.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #927 on: June 19, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
I have two good friends.  One does private math tutoring and has a BS in Math.  She was telling me about the number of people who try to get the "friend's" discount from her.  She is very firm with her prices.

The second has 12 years of graphic design business working for a major sports team.  She has two small childred and is starting an at home design business for birthday cards, posters, flyers, game, Tshirts, anything really.  She is working hard to set her prices and avoid the "friend's discount" conversations as well.

It happens everywhere.  I know you, so you should give it to me cheaply or free.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Jocelyn

« Reply #928 on: June 19, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »
It might be easier- and still true- to tell people that the price they were quoted IS the friend's price. If they ask what the 'regular' charge is, tell them, and let them come to their own conclusion.  ;)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #929 on: June 19, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
It might be easier- and still true- to tell people that the price they were quoted IS the friend's price. If they ask what the 'regular' charge is, tell them, and let them come to their own conclusion.  ;)

That's an interesting idea. Some people charge a PITA price for awful customers. You could say you are charging a 'friend' price and your enemy price is only for people who are a bother. "Don't make me hate you!"
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.