News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 19, 2017, 10:37:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 574207 times)

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #930 on: July 13, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
Well, now you know that when they ask for more, you give them a big smile and say "Sure!  They're $X for an 8-oz bottle."  $X, of course, at least triples the cost of your ingredients. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Krism

« Reply #931 on: July 13, 2014, 06:41:08 PM »
Oh my goodness!  My crazed coworker is at it again!

She got a bad case of poison ivy and the treatment she used left her skin very dry/scaly.  At work, I offered her some of my handmade lotion because she didn't have any lotion at her desk.  She thanked me, and that was it.  I never told her she could continue using it or anything.  I come in the next day, and another coworker says to me, "Hey, I used some of your pink lotion!  *Coworker* told me you let her use some of it the other day - it's great!".  Uh, not really cool, but whatever.  Later that day, Crazy Coworker comes over to talk to Another Coworker.  As Crazy Coworker is talking, she casually reaches down, grabs my lotion, squirts a HUGE glob of it onto her hand, and also onto Another Coworker's hand!  Just like it's no big deal.  I said, "Hey guys, what's up?  Why'd you take my lotion?".  Crazy Coworker says, "This is the lotion we like the best!".  I say, "Well, you've almost run me out - that's all I had of that lotion".  Crazy Coworker says, "Well, then you need to make us some more.  This is the one we like!".  I didn't really say anything to that, just turned back around and kept working.  However, that night I brought all my lotions home with me. 

Nobody's mentioned anything so far, but we'll see.  Unless I give the lotion to you, doesn't it make sense to ask before assuming you can use something of mine whenever you want?

Well, not that I've ever done it, but I can see someone making the mistake of thinking that was a blanket invitation to continue using it (at work, I could see others making that same mistake, including me).  I don't know what I would've said in your last exchange so I think taking them home was the best option.

But even if she had intended for her coworker to continue using the lotion it seems rather presumptuous for the coworker to give some to another person.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #932 on: July 13, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »
Well, now you know that when they ask for more, you give them a big smile and say "Sure!  They're $X for an 8-oz bottle."  $X, of course, at least triples the cost of your ingredients. 

Naw, $X should be at least triple the price she would charge anyone else.

Jocelyn

« Reply #933 on: July 13, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »
You needed to be more blunt with the other co-workers. CCW probably told them that you'd said it was OK to share.
A shocked, 'Why are you helping yourself to my belongings?' would have gotten the point across, or 'CCW, I offered it to you once. I didn't intend for my personal possessions to be offered to the entire office, any time someone wanted to help themselves. I don't appreciate you telling other people that they can take my things without even asking permission.'
CCW may never get it, but perhaps the other coworkers will realize they've crossed a line.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #934 on: July 14, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »
It might be easier- and still true- to tell people that the price they were quoted IS the friend's price. If they ask what the 'regular' charge is, tell them, and let them come to their own conclusion.  ;)

Right. I either charge full price, or for a very few people, for small jobs, it's free. (To a first approximation, if I've never spent the night in your home, you don't get the freebies.)

Yeah, not a crafter but I dogsit. I did it for free several times this year for a friend- but she's the first person I called when my mom died. If it isn't that level of intimate, not happening.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mime

« Reply #935 on: July 14, 2014, 10:39:21 AM »
I just got another one.

BG: I have done some sewing and I'm OK at it. I made my wedding dress many years ago and it turned out well, but it was a very slow and challenging project for me, and the main thing I learned is that I really don't enjoy sewing.

It doesn't stop people from (erroneously) thinking that I'm actually good at it and want to do lots of it.
EndBG.

A friend is getting all new built-in benches on her patio. She wants to get seat and back cusions made for them. That is 8 seat and 8 back cushions, each 36inches wide, oh, and maybe some accent pieces too. So at lunch one day she said "hey, you like sewing, don't you...." (insert deer-in-the-headlights scared face here)

Now maybe on the surface a bunch of square cusions don't *sound* like such a problem. But I've never worked with the type of fabric one would use for outdoor upholstery, I have no idea how to do that piping that you see on the edges of cushions, are they supposed to be removable for washing-- with a zipper or something? what is the inside made of? and so many cushions! And don't forget the fact that I don't like to sew.

I was able to give my truthful stock-answer very easily: I don't even know where my sewing machine is right now, and a job like that would take me well into late next summer. I just can't do it.

I think I can safely consider her a friend who just had no idea how much she was asking, because she accepted my "no" very gracefully.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #936 on: July 14, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
Why not say "no - actually I don't enjoy sewing"? Would stop any other requests from coming in.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #937 on: July 14, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
So I made the mistake of making this in public.

Suddenly my son has been invited to the birthday parties of half a dozen kids he barely knows and 'would I mind bringing balloons and making a couple things?'

Gah.... I don't mind when it's his actual friends.  For starters, their parents usually buy the balloons and I get to keep the extras.  For next, their parties are usually no more than half a dozen kids and they all accept the '2 each' limit.  And for the most important, it's my son's friends and I know I can call their parents/elder siblings for babysitting if the need arises.

In the interests of his social life though, I'm leaving it up to him.  If he decides he wants to go to any of these parties (rule has been for some time that the presents he buys his friends come out of his rather generous allowance), I'll do my usual '2 items each' thing.

Jocelyn

« Reply #938 on: July 14, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
  I have no idea how to do that piping that you see on the edges of cushions
You pin the piping to the right-side edge of one of the pieces of fabric, and sew it onto the fabric, stitching as closely as you can to the rounded part of the piping. Then you pin the other piece of fabric so that the two right sides are facing, and sew all three layers together. The key is to sew them with the first piece of fabric on the top, so you can see the stitching you previously put in, and stitch right over it. That way, when you turn it all inside out, both pieces of fabric will be stitched right up snug against the piping. :)
Not at all hard, but that first stitching has to be done meticulously to make it all turn out without a wavy edge. :)

TootsNYC

« Reply #939 on: July 14, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
and you use a zipper foot. (or, maybe a piping foot; not sure about how those work)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #940 on: July 15, 2014, 05:39:30 AM »
I just got another one.

BG: I have done some sewing and I'm OK at it. I made my wedding dress many years ago and it turned out well, but it was a very slow and challenging project for me, and the main thing I learned is that I really don't enjoy sewing.

It doesn't stop people from (erroneously) thinking that I'm actually good at it and want to do lots of it.
EndBG.

A friend is getting all new built-in benches on her patio. She wants to get seat and back cusions made for them. That is 8 seat and 8 back cushions, each 36inches wide, oh, and maybe some accent pieces too. So at lunch one day she said "hey, you like sewing, don't you...." (insert deer-in-the-headlights scared face here)

Now maybe on the surface a bunch of square cusions don't *sound* like such a problem. But I've never worked with the type of fabric one would use for outdoor upholstery, I have no idea how to do that piping that you see on the edges of cushions, are they supposed to be removable for washing-- with a zipper or something? what is the inside made of? and so many cushions! And don't forget the fact that I don't like to sew.

I was able to give my truthful stock-answer very easily: I don't even know where my sewing machine is right now, and a job like that would take me well into late next summer. I just can't do it.

I think I can safely consider her a friend who just had no idea how much she was asking, because she accepted my "no" very gracefully.

Now, see, I do like sewing. I do it for a living. I know how to make those cushions, I can make the piping myself so it matches perfectly (or contrasts, depending on what you want the finished items to look like), I can do zippers (a couple of different ways), and I'm pretty good at it if I do say so myself. I usually don't even need to pin things - when you sew curtains commercially speed is everything and most of the time you're dealing with fabric that can't be pinned, so you learn how to deal.

Annnnnnd I still wouldn't make that many cushions without getting either 1) a decent amount of money, or 2) one heck of a big favour in return. :P ;)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

menley

« Reply #941 on: July 15, 2014, 06:05:21 AM »
Yeah - that's a custom order that would cost at least a few hundred dollars if purchased from a company, right? No way that I would do that just for a favor!

spookycatlady

« Reply #942 on: July 15, 2014, 07:39:42 AM »
My issue comes from someone grossly overestimating what I'm capable of.

I refer to my art as gluing [stuff] to other [stuff]... If I'm just doing a painting, it's really quite cartoonish.

While a wildly over the top insane piece was in progress (do you know how many fake gemstones you can get for $80?), a friend of the STBX husband came over, saw the piece and started trying to talk me into doing something for him.  Something that I would not even come close to be able to do and no where even close to what was on the easel at the time. 

This friend of the ex has exacting standards, expects a deal on everything, and complains constantly about how he's getting mistreated by one person or another. He wanted a photo-realistic painting of one of his wedding photos.  While I appreciated the romantic nature, no matter how many times I explained that I'm not a realistic painter and I'm more of a cartoonist with a glue gun... he kept persisting.  After about 4 times of him going over his specifications (sofa sized painting, in grayscale with colour pops), I told him about how Groupon comes up with really good deals for photos on canvas. 

Given what I knew about him, pretty sure he would have balked at my insistence at getting paid minimum wage for commissions+expenses and that I estimate that even for me to do a cartoon version of what he wanted would take me about 60 hours.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #943 on: July 15, 2014, 10:33:45 AM »
Yeah - that's a custom order that would cost at least a few hundred dollars if purchased from a company, right? No way that I would do that just for a favor!

I might do that for my mother, sister, or one of my kids (my brothers are friendly when we see them, but not "close" enough geographically for it to be feasible).  Of course, I might end up staying at their house with my sewing machine while I do it...but that would be so that I didn't have to drag fabric & other supplies back & forth for fittings and then the finished cushions....Lil Sis lives a bit over an hour away, Mom & Dad live about five hours away (and are considering relocating soon to an assisted living location), and DD lives 14 hours away.  It's not like I'm walking half way down the block with the pinned together cushion....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

CakeEater

« Reply #944 on: July 15, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
My issue comes from someone grossly overestimating what I'm capable of.

I think some people too manage to grossly overestimate what they're capable of, and agree to do something huge because they feel good about being asked.

A cake forum I belong to constantly has posts that go like this:

I made a birthday cake for my daughter and my friend saw it and asked me to make their wedding cake. So can everyone give me a good recipe for chocolate cake, and tell me step by step how to make, construct and decorate this elaborate three tier cake please? Oh and it's for this weekend.

And you just know it's all because the friend didn't want to spend the money to get what they really wanted.