Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 179791 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #930 on: June 19, 2014, 04:32:49 PM »
It might be easier- and still true- to tell people that the price they were quoted IS the friend's price. If they ask what the 'regular' charge is, tell them, and let them come to their own conclusion.  ;)

Right. I either charge full price, or for a very few people, for small jobs, it's free. (To a first approximation, if I've never spent the night in your home, you don't get the freebies.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #931 on: June 19, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
It might be easier- and still true- to tell people that the price they were quoted IS the friend's price. If they ask what the 'regular' charge is, tell them, and let them come to their own conclusion.  ;)

That's an interesting idea. Some people charge a PITA price for awful customers. You could say you are charging a 'friend' price and your enemy price is only for people who are a bother. "Don't make me hate you!"

Why am I seeing & hearing Bill Bixby (Incredible Hulk TV show - he was Dr. Banner) making this comment?

As to who might "get it free" - we share significant DNA overlap - parent, sibling, child, grandkid, we are married to each other, or you are a parent, sibling, or really close relative of the spouse.  Let me think about it...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:14:53 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #932 on: June 19, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »

That's an interesting idea. Some people charge a PITA price for awful customers. You could say you are charging a 'friend' price and your enemy price is only for people who are a bother. "Don't make me hate you!"

Why am I seeing & hearing Bill Bixby (Incredible Hulk TV show - he was Dr. Banner) making this comment?

As to who might "get it free" - we share significant DNA overlap - parent, sibling, child, grandkid, we are married to each other, or you are a parent, sibling, or really close relative of the spouse.  Let me think about it...

Hehe. That's even better. "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like my prices if I'm angry!"
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

CuriousParty

« Reply #933 on: June 19, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
My standard quip, which gets a laugh and the point across, is "The family rate is double."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #934 on: June 19, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »
I can't remember if I've mentioned this one.

Someone on a list has a "free" family rate.

It sits in her house until she is "free" to do it.  Depending on how much she likes that particular type of project, it might be a week, a month, a year, two years,...or much, much longer.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:12:46 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #935 on: June 20, 2014, 03:04:42 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned this one.

A local requested free tech support because her computer was broken and her normal technician was expensive - and, she told me, she knew I did PCs as a hobby ::) . I was annoyed, but cringed at the price she mentioned, decided the tech was price-gouging and helped her out. I spent four hours cleaning off viruses and left her with a working PC. A week later I got a screaming phone call: her computer didn't work, I'd obviously done something to it, etc, despite the fact it had been working fine. I went round, rather than have her start banging on my door, and took a large friend in case of problems.

It wasn't the computer. She'd had an electrician in. We fixed the rather predictable problem, got a huffy comment of "How should she know that?" (perhaps the light switches should have been a clue...), and quietly set her rate for future help to "money-grubbing consultant". We suspect this was what her previous technician had done.

But I honestly thought complaining to technicians that a computer didn't work during a power cut only happens in tech legends. Now, I can say I lived it.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #936 on: June 20, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned this one.

A local requested free tech support because her computer was broken and her normal technician was expensive - and, she told me, she knew I did PCs as a hobby ::) . I was annoyed, but cringed at the price she mentioned, decided the tech was price-gouging and helped her out. I spent four hours cleaning off viruses and left her with a working PC. A week later I got a screaming phone call: her computer didn't work, I'd obviously done something to it, etc, despite the fact it had been working fine. I went round, rather than have her start banging on my door, and took a large friend in case of problems.

It wasn't the computer. She'd had an electrician in. We fixed the rather predictable problem, got a huffy comment of "How should she know that?" (perhaps the light switches should have been a clue...), and quietly set her rate for future help to "money-grubbing consultant". We suspect this was what her previous technician had done.

But I honestly thought complaining to technicians that a computer didn't work during a power cut only happens in tech legends. Now, I can say I lived it.
I've had teachers complain that the wifi wasn't working during a power outage. The Ipads were working so the wifi should work.

Then there was the weekly Thursday outage. Every Thursday afternoon for 4 weeks a construction crew cut/damaged a major cable that went to most of the "blue track schools" in my district. (Schools that feed into a high school with the colors Blue and white. The 7 elementary schools are physically close to that HS. The HS, JH, and Middle school are next door to each other) That HS and all the schools that feed into it are the lowest socio/eco schools in the district. The construction was being done by another government agency. There was a dispute between the other government agency and the school district. The school board members from the effected area were vocal about the dispute.. So of course the conspiracy theorists had all sorts of interesting ideas about why the cable kept being damaged.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #937 on: June 20, 2014, 09:10:15 AM »
I'm thinking this could go in the cheapstake thread or here.

Friend worked with me, very immature for her age and her parents supported her lavish lifestyle on a minimum wage income. Parents were nice, but this was their baby.

Friend had an old computer, a Gateway desktop, and it had stopped running. Her pet rat had eaten cables at some point, so that didn't help. We ordered the replacement hardware, and were waiting for it to come in when I had a spinal epidural procedure that resulted in my not being alert or able to drive, and the parents called during that time. Demanding that we fix friend's computer and how dare we charge her so much.

We only charged her the cost of the hardware. Because it was more than we could outlay at the time. I never fixed another thing for her again.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #938 on: June 29, 2014, 08:08:37 PM »
Just realized I never updated this thread with my pastries stories.

She actually overpaid me. I felt kind of bad for my doubts :)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #939 on: July 13, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »
Oh my goodness!  My crazed coworker is at it again!

She got a bad case of poison ivy and the treatment she used left her skin very dry/scaly.  At work, I offered her some of my handmade lotion because she didn't have any lotion at her desk.  She thanked me, and that was it.  I never told her she could continue using it or anything.  I come in the next day, and another coworker says to me, "Hey, I used some of your pink lotion!  *Coworker* told me you let her use some of it the other day - it's great!".  Uh, not really cool, but whatever.  Later that day, Crazy Coworker comes over to talk to Another Coworker.  As Crazy Coworker is talking, she casually reaches down, grabs my lotion, squirts a HUGE glob of it onto her hand, and also onto Another Coworker's hand!  Just like it's no big deal.  I said, "Hey guys, what's up?  Why'd you take my lotion?".  Crazy Coworker says, "This is the lotion we like the best!".  I say, "Well, you've almost run me out - that's all I had of that lotion".  Crazy Coworker says, "Well, then you need to make us some more.  This is the one we like!".  I didn't really say anything to that, just turned back around and kept working.  However, that night I brought all my lotions home with me. 

Nobody's mentioned anything so far, but we'll see.  Unless I give the lotion to you, doesn't it make sense to ask before assuming you can use something of mine whenever you want? 

SoCalVal

« Reply #940 on: July 13, 2014, 06:59:27 PM »

She got a bad case of poison ivy and the treatment she used left her skin very dry/scaly.  At work, I offered her some of my handmade lotion because she didn't have any lotion at her desk.  She thanked me, and that was it.  I never told her she could continue using it or anything.  I come in the next day, and another coworker says to me, "Hey, I used some of your pink lotion!  *Coworker* told me you let her use some of it the other day - it's great!".  Uh, not really cool, but whatever.  Later that day, Crazy Coworker comes over to talk to Another Coworker.  As Crazy Coworker is talking, she casually reaches down, grabs my lotion, squirts a HUGE glob of it onto her hand, and also onto Another Coworker's hand!  Just like it's no big deal.  I said, "Hey guys, what's up?  Why'd you take my lotion?".  Crazy Coworker says, "This is the lotion we like the best!".  I say, "Well, you've almost run me out - that's all I had of that lotion".  Crazy Coworker says, "Well, then you need to make us some more.  This is the one we like!".  I didn't really say anything to that, just turned back around and kept working.  However, that night I brought all my lotions home with me. 

Nobody's mentioned anything so far, but we'll see.  Unless I give the lotion to you, doesn't it make sense to ask before assuming you can use something of mine whenever you want?

Well, not that I've ever done it, but I can see someone making the mistake of thinking that was a blanket invitation to continue using it (at work, I could see others making that same mistake, including me).  I don't know what I would've said in your last exchange so I think taking them home was the best option.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #941 on: July 13, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
Well, now you know that when they ask for more, you give them a big smile and say "Sure!  They're $X for an 8-oz bottle."  $X, of course, at least triples the cost of your ingredients. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Krism

« Reply #942 on: July 13, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »

Well, not that I've ever done it, but I can see someone making the mistake of thinking that was a blanket invitation to continue using it (at work, I could see others making that same mistake, including me).  I don't know what I would've said in your last exchange so I think taking them home was the best option.

But even if she had intended for her coworker to continue using the lotion it seems rather presumptuous for the coworker to give some to another person.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #943 on: July 13, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »
Well, now you know that when they ask for more, you give them a big smile and say "Sure!  They're $X for an 8-oz bottle."  $X, of course, at least triples the cost of your ingredients. 

Naw, $X should be at least triple the price she would charge anyone else.

Jocelyn

« Reply #944 on: July 13, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »
You needed to be more blunt with the other co-workers. CCW probably told them that you'd said it was OK to share.
A shocked, 'Why are you helping yourself to my belongings?' would have gotten the point across, or 'CCW, I offered it to you once. I didn't intend for my personal possessions to be offered to the entire office, any time someone wanted to help themselves. I don't appreciate you telling other people that they can take my things without even asking permission.'
CCW may never get it, but perhaps the other coworkers will realize they've crossed a line.