Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 186836 times)

BusyBee

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #960 on: July 16, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
Thank you too!  I tried for a cushion cover and ended up very uneven.  So much that I gave up right there and never finished.  Now I'll be up late tonight at the sewing machine :)

Jocelyn

« Reply #961 on: July 16, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »
You are all welcome! I learned this trick from my mom, who was a home ec teacher. :)

Night Audit Woman

« Reply #962 on: July 16, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »
Mime: I know someone who did upholstery fabric sewing for a living. She did this all on an industrial sewing machine. It wasn't fun by any means.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #963 on: July 16, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »
The secret to zippers is cellophane tape.
Tape the zipper into place along the seam. It's much easier to feel that the zipper teeth are nicely centered along the seam line, so that when you cut the seam open, they'll still be nicely center.

tapetapeztapetape
             i
             p
             p
             e
             r
tapetapeztapetape

Tape as often as you need to tape to keep the zipper immobile. Then you stitch, zipper side up, down one side of the zipper, across the bottom and back up the other side. Peel the tape off (which will now be in 3 segments, as the stitching across it gives a 'tear along the dotted line' effect) and voila! Your zipper is done.
This method can also be used for insertions that aren't centered on a seam, where there's an opening along one side of the zipper like a little fly, but I don't care for that style of zipper and haven't done one in decades. But I remember learning how to do it with tape, even though I've forgotten now.

Thank you! I have been doing a lot of things with that "zipper completely shows" look and wanted to get away from that. So, thank you for the quick and easy to remember lesson!

I've also seen people stick the zipper in place w/ a gluestick. Those will dissolve in the wash.

NbyNW

« Reply #964 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:50 PM »
I've used a product (called "Wondertape" maybe?) to put zippers in knit sweaters. It's a double sided tape that allows you to place and hold the zipper exactly where you want it to be before sewing it in. It then dissolves when the garment is washed.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #965 on: July 17, 2014, 04:23:10 AM »
I can't remember if I mentioned this one, but I actually found it a bit insulting. I write. An acquaintance has a small blog getting around ten views a week. They asked, well actually demanded, that I should write several articles a week for them for free for exposure. Apparently this is a favour from them to me, as it is practice, exposure, and "maybe then someone will pay me for my writing" and I'd be "a proper writer".

Ironically they actually learned I was a writer from seeing one of my articles in a newspaper, and I've been paid for my writing for years. I said a polite no, refrained from asking why on earth they wanted content from someone who is not "a proper writer", and am distancing myself from them to head off future requests.

To quote Harlan Ellison "people die from exposure."

z_squared82

« Reply #966 on: July 17, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »
A FB friend (former coworker) is trying to start her photography business. She wants a website. She doesnít want to pay for said website. So she asks FB land what to do.

The very first comment is someone calling her out on wanting to get paid for her photography and not wanting to pay someone else for their services.

The second comment was someone volun-telling their friend to help.

Turns out what she wanted was some recommendations for websites that walk you through making a website because the people she had contacted about making a website were quoting her more than she wanted to pay, but still.

The voluntold friend of a friend never responded publically.

Iím just waiting for this former colleague to contact me regarding editing for said website. That woman can't construct a proper sentence to save her life.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #967 on: July 17, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
I can see not wanting to pay for a website when she hasn't actually really started her photography business, but... having a website is crucial, *and* having a bad one is almost as bad as not having one at all.  The pictures are crucial, and you'd think they'd speak for themselves, but if the editing is awful, it'll make a difference.  Maybe that falls a little under cheapskate, too?  Although, like I said, I can definitely understand her reluctance to pay the hundreds (or thousands) to have somebody set it up and maintain it for her.  Maybe she needs to hear the story about Amazon running in the red for... 8 years?  10 years?  Before they actually started making more money than they were spending.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #968 on: July 18, 2014, 12:59:12 AM »
Mime: I know someone who did upholstery fabric sewing for a living. She did this all on an industrial sewing machine. It wasn't fun by any means.

I also know someone who does this type of work; she did it for a living while she was in college, and now she does it to augment her income while trying to build up a counseling practice.  She has an industrial serger with 8 thread cones; mine has 4 and drives me batty.  She also got an industrial sewing machine off Craigslist for $20 from someone who just wanted to get rid of it, as the person who had used it had passed away.  When she pointed out how much it was actually worth, they told her they just wanted it gone, so she took it home and another friend built her a very nice table for it.  She tells me it's old but does what she wants it to do.  I've seen the curtains and cushions she makes, and she's also upholstered her own furniture. 

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Shalamar

« Reply #970 on: July 23, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »
I'm not sure that story belongs in this thread, to be honest - it sounds like it was her idea to make the blanket for her grandmother's birthday.  If she was having such a horrible miserable time, she could have thought "The heck with this" and bought her grandmother something else.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #971 on: July 23, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
Maybe, but I'm glad it was posted just for the entertainment value! ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Hillia

« Reply #972 on: July 23, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »
http://www.squaredancesewing.com/projects/invisible_zippers.html

This article finally got me over my fear of zippers.  Seriously, I would choose patterns based on whether or not there was a zipper involved - that's how much I hated and feared them.  This article talks specifically about invisible zippers, but I have used the technique with great success on regular zippers.  Perfect from the very first one.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

weeblewobble

« Reply #973 on: August 04, 2014, 09:23:01 AM »
Oh my goodness!  My crazed coworker is at it again!

She got a bad case of poison ivy and the treatment she used left her skin very dry/scaly.  At work, I offered her some of my handmade lotion because she didn't have any lotion at her desk.  She thanked me, and that was it.  I never told her she could continue using it or anything.  I come in the next day, and another coworker says to me, "Hey, I used some of your pink lotion!  *Coworker* told me you let her use some of it the other day - it's great!".  Uh, not really cool, but whatever.  Later that day, Crazy Coworker comes over to talk to Another Coworker.  As Crazy Coworker is talking, she casually reaches down, grabs my lotion, squirts a HUGE glob of it onto her hand, and also onto Another Coworker's hand!  Just like it's no big deal.  I said, "Hey guys, what's up?  Why'd you take my lotion?".  Crazy Coworker says, "This is the lotion we like the best!".  I say, "Well, you've almost run me out - that's all I had of that lotion".  Crazy Coworker says, "Well, then you need to make us some more.  This is the one we like!".  I didn't really say anything to that, just turned back around and kept working.  However, that night I brought all my lotions home with me. 

Nobody's mentioned anything so far, but we'll see.  Unless I give the lotion to you, doesn't it make sense to ask before assuming you can use something of mine whenever you want?

*Blink blink blink*

That's so weird! Like your desk is a sample stand and they're letting you know which one most customers prefer.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #974 on: August 04, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »
To quote Harlan Ellison "people die from exposure."

Lol. Or get arrested, if it's indecent.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."