News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2017, 03:11:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 591667 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #960 on: July 23, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
Maybe, but I'm glad it was posted just for the entertainment value! ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Hillia

« Reply #961 on: July 23, 2014, 05:39:26 PM »
http://www.squaredancesewing.com/projects/invisible_zippers.html

This article finally got me over my fear of zippers.  Seriously, I would choose patterns based on whether or not there was a zipper involved - that's how much I hated and feared them.  This article talks specifically about invisible zippers, but I have used the technique with great success on regular zippers.  Perfect from the very first one.

weeblewobble

« Reply #962 on: August 04, 2014, 08:23:01 AM »
Oh my goodness!  My crazed coworker is at it again!

She got a bad case of poison ivy and the treatment she used left her skin very dry/scaly.  At work, I offered her some of my handmade lotion because she didn't have any lotion at her desk.  She thanked me, and that was it.  I never told her she could continue using it or anything.  I come in the next day, and another coworker says to me, "Hey, I used some of your pink lotion!  *Coworker* told me you let her use some of it the other day - it's great!".  Uh, not really cool, but whatever.  Later that day, Crazy Coworker comes over to talk to Another Coworker.  As Crazy Coworker is talking, she casually reaches down, grabs my lotion, squirts a HUGE glob of it onto her hand, and also onto Another Coworker's hand!  Just like it's no big deal.  I said, "Hey guys, what's up?  Why'd you take my lotion?".  Crazy Coworker says, "This is the lotion we like the best!".  I say, "Well, you've almost run me out - that's all I had of that lotion".  Crazy Coworker says, "Well, then you need to make us some more.  This is the one we like!".  I didn't really say anything to that, just turned back around and kept working.  However, that night I brought all my lotions home with me. 

Nobody's mentioned anything so far, but we'll see.  Unless I give the lotion to you, doesn't it make sense to ask before assuming you can use something of mine whenever you want?

*Blink blink blink*

That's so weird! Like your desk is a sample stand and they're letting you know which one most customers prefer.

Twik

« Reply #963 on: August 04, 2014, 08:55:51 AM »
To quote Harlan Ellison "people die from exposure."

Lol. Or get arrested, if it's indecent.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #964 on: August 04, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
Someone on DeviantArt posted about working on a book for some kind of senior project. This person wants some drawings for it, but can't draw. Would someone be willing to do some drawings even though this person has no money to pay you.....*headdesk*

Phoebelion

« Reply #965 on: August 04, 2014, 05:34:20 PM »
Recent CL posting under wanted saying she just moved into a new apartment and was looking for bedding.  She specifically mentioned king size hand made quilts.  But she wanted them for under $100.  Because that's what she paid for them up north. 

I'd like to up north on what planet?  $100 won't cover the cost of material. 

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #966 on: August 04, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
Maybe only from walmart could you get one for that kind of money.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #967 on: August 04, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »

That would be my guess too. You can get some fairly nice-looking machine quilts from big box stores for $100. The material is cheap and thin as paper, but they are pretty!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Jocelyn

« Reply #968 on: August 04, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »

That would be my guess too. You can get some fairly nice-looking machine quilts from big box stores for $100. The material is cheap and thin as paper, but they are pretty!
Yeah, if you don't mind it being 'handmade' by someone being paid 16 cents an hour...

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #969 on: August 04, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »

I actually got a fairly decent king size quilt set (it included shams, bedskirt, and a few throw pillows)  for about $50.00 at Sears a few years ago.   It was on clearance, but I think full price was still under $100.

No way would I think a hand made quilt would cost that. Totally delusional to think that....

ETA I stand corrected.  The person with me stated the original price was $249 or possibly $279... Still not a bad deal considering everything that was included. It's held up really well.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:55:09 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #970 on: August 05, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »

Yeah, if you don't mind it being 'handmade' by someone being paid 16 cents an hour...

I don't think you can call it handmade unless you count the person who pushes the start button on the machine.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Phoebelion

« Reply #971 on: August 05, 2014, 08:54:46 AM »

I don't think you can call it handmade unless you count the person who pushes the start button on the machine.

I've seen the ones at retail stores and do agree they are pretty/hold up well.  That's what DS had when he first moved out.

I think she wants real "hand made" hand made because she has something in the ad about what Grandma used to make. 

Hillia

« Reply #972 on: August 05, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »
I haven't made a quilt in awhile, and the last one was a tufted comforter style that used fiberfill batting, so it was a bit of a shock to see that a queen sized cotton batting was $45.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #973 on: August 05, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »

I've seen the ones at retail stores and do agree they are pretty/hold up well.  That's what DS had when he first moved out.

I think she wants real "hand made" hand made because she has something in the ad about what Grandma used to make.
She probably thinks it costs almost nothing to make, because "you just use scraps of old clothes, right?"    Go here or here and tell me how much these "scraps of old clothes" cost.  I priced out a California King quilt for a forum friend.  I think it was $300 just for materials. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jocelyn

« Reply #974 on: August 05, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »

Many of the 'Chinese quilts' (as they are called in the quilt world) are actually 'hand quilted'. The stitches are huge and often zig-zag, but they are indeed put in by a human being, typically one who is paid extremely low wages, so there's little motivation to make small, careful stitches that take much more time. Whenever you see a quilt in a store, and it's marked as 'hand quilted', it's a safe bet it's very low quality quilting done overseas. While there are Americans who are professional hand quilters, they're generally working as partners of the person who designed and stitched the quilt top. Ditto for machine quilters. For many many years, one could enter a quilt in a contest if one were the piecer of the top, without giving any credit to the person who actually quilted the top for you. Now, most quilt shows require you to enter the quilt with an acknowledgement of the person who quilted the top, if you didn't do the quilting yourself. As well they should.