Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 174816 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 01:17:22 PM »
My specialty is "deconstruction."  I can take something apart, make a pattern out of the pieces, and then make a new garment.  It's handy when you have that favorite whatever that you could never find again, but it's wearing out.  Just take it apart and then make a new one!

Shoo, were you close by, I'd pay you a bucket of cash for some replacements for a blouse I own that I love, fits like a dream, and is flattering no matter what I do, but was only available in one color and I've had it for years and am about to have it fall apart. Seriously.

NyaChan

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
This isn't a craft, but I think fits here.  My family has a friend who is handy around the house.  We ask him to come whenever we need something fixed.  One time, another of his friends ask him in an annoyed tone "Why do you always drop everything when they call?  You always take forever when I need something!"  His answer?  "They pay me."

hahahaha your friend is awesome  :D  Any chance that prompted the mooching friend to see the error of their ways?

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
I forgot one of my pet peeves that actually put me off my hobby for a number of years. When I was working in call centers, supporting web sites (so 90% of my day was 'let's reset your password! let's clear the temporary files!') i started teaching myself origami. It was easy, fun, silent, and something I could do with my hands while I was doing boring work. I actually have gotten quite good, and love making complex multi-part forms (and have a basket of them on my desk at work, my only decor). 

So when a friend asked me to make her some flowers for her desk, I has no problem doing so - it was fun. Then another friend asked me, and I did that batch too. Then strangers from around the floor started asking for them. Then strangers from other floors. I finally had some random person from another building come up to me in the cafeteria and demand that I make her a couple dozen for a party she was having. Mind you, I had exactly ONE person offer to pay me - he wanted me to make him a dozen red tissue paper roses for his girlfriend, as she was allergic to real flowers and he didn't want to just get her cheap plastic flowers. That request I jumped on, and really only charged him for the materials (it was such a sweet story, and a sweet person asking). The lady I'd never laid eyes on demanding a dozen metallic gold (think $$$ paper) roses and two dozen silver metallic roses for a party? Not so much.

I put the origami paper up, and started making quilled designs in paper boxes, shredding my notepaper. No one asked for those, since they weren't pretty, just something to keep my hands busy. I just started making flowers and such again in the last month (made a gorgeous big gold star for a coworker who had a great professional day and a lousy personal one coincide). Luckily, I've only given a few of them out, and no one asks for them - but then, I have enough of a polite spine now that even if they did, I would know how to say no, politely.

One of the Deans here at work took up origami because it helped soothe him when he was on long, frustrating phone calls with students. He made a LOT of origami..I still have one of the roses he made. Everyone in the office had an army of little turtles and frogs and other critters he'd made while on the phone.

Luckily he never got demands from people. Probably because he was a Dean and not one of the lower-on-the-ladder staff members.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
My specialty is "deconstruction."  I can take something apart, make a pattern out of the pieces, and then make a new garment.  It's handy when you have that favorite whatever that you could never find again, but it's wearing out.  Just take it apart and then make a new one!

I aspire to be you. I have a basket of worn out blouses that I want to do that for...but I'm too chicken to pull them apart because I might destroy the only sample I have and not be able to put it back together.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

mime

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
There seems to be a lack of recognition of relationships and willingness to do things for free...

On a few different notes:
  • Stretching the benefits of the relationship: I carve rubber stamps. I really have no use for them once they're done, but I enjoy the process. A friend asked me to carve a hummingbird for her. It took about four hours and $2 of materials. No big deal. A month later, she gave me six photographs of things her daughters all wanted carved. How quickly I can go from feeling appreciated to feeling like a short-order cook! I turned her down.

• In awe of sewing skills: When I graduated from college, my grandparents gave me a sewing machine (in their final futile attempt to domesticate me  ::)). I know how to use it, but don't do it often. I don't consider it a skill or hobby of mine in any way. I did make my own wedding dress, though, which really seems to have forever put me in the realm of 'people who sew'. Now, 17 years later, I still get requests for alterations, seat cushions, etc. Fortunately I can say "I haven't used my machine in ages... I'm not even sure where it is right now!"
  • Asking for lessons: I make chocolate from the beans. Nobody has asked for lessons, but I think I would welcome it! I'd love for a batch to become a two-person job (the mixer is pretty heavy), and I'd like to share the hobby with someone else. Unfortunately if I had to say "pack a bag, come over on Friday evening, and we'll be done sometime Sunday night" I think they'd be scared off. That time commitment could be a really good deterrent if you want to discourage someone from asking, though.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »
I aspire to be you. I have a basket of worn out blouses that I want to do that for...but I'm too chicken to pull them apart because I might destroy the only sample I have and not be able to put it back together.

Yes, to be honest, that sometimes happens.  I have learned to take pictures as I go, and number pieces and write instructions as I go too.  It does take practice and I've had my share of failures, that's for sure.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »
This isn't a craft, but I think fits here.  My family has a friend who is handy around the house.  We ask him to come whenever we need something fixed.  One time, another of his friends ask him in an annoyed tone "Why do you always drop everything when they call?  You always take forever when I need something!"  His answer?  "They pay me."

hahahaha your friend is awesome  :D  Any chance that prompted the mooching friend to see the error of their ways?

I don't think he pays even after that exchange.  He no longer complains though so he probably learned he's got a good thing going, and continuing to complain about the wait time may put a stop to free repairs >:D.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 01:46:07 PM »
I make hand made jewelry and can knit simple projects (I haven't progressed to clothing yet).

I cannot count the number of request I've received for special projects.  A few have offered to pay me and I typically do take those request, but they know they are on my time table.  Don't ask me to knit you a receiving blanket three days before a baby is due or need awesome bridemaid/wedding jewelry the day before the event.  The jewelry, I might be able to pull off, but it's gonna cost you $$$ for the major rush job, the blanket isn't going to happen with that time frame no matter what.

Funny thing, I have offered to teach these people if they pay for supplies,but no one has ever taken me up on the offer.  Others, I offered doing their projects if they paid the supplies and I would comp labor, but those are far and few between and I get a bit peeved when they baulk at the $40 for yarn or $30 for jewelry supplies...it is a very generous offer on my part and they can take it or leave it.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »
My mother has demanded I paint her something. As in, "I want a small painting in my living room colours and I am saving a spot for it right there."

Pros - It would take me about 8 hours or so to paint. Not much.

Cons - It would take two or three weeks to research designs, do rough sketches, and get one that I'm happy with, as well as more than $50 in supplies (not including frame) and a boatload of screaming stress. At a time when I do not have a penny of extra money and too much stress as it is!

I'm hoping she forgets about it. All I can do is nod and smile and say "Gosh, I'm so busy with work right now..." until she does.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »
Personally, I prefer the barter system when it comes to crafts.  I make sweaters for my Dad.  I could go out and buy him a nice sweater for about the same amount it costs me in relatively inexpensive yarn.  Then it takes me about 60 hours to knit the sweater.  (If I knit an average of 4 hours a day, I can get one done in about 2 weeks.)  So if someone wanted me to make them a sweater, I'd be asking them to do something for me that would be a significant time investment, that I hate doing.  Like clean my house!  And for a sweater, they'd have to do it at least twice; they wouldn't get the sweater until the second cleaning was done.  I'm a hard (hmmmph), I tell you.

Even things like dishclothes - the most you can charge at a church sale is about $3 a piece.  The materials cost close to $2 alone if you don't get the cotton yarn on sale and each one takes about an hour to make.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 02:01:38 PM »

And that is the way it should be done!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 02:02:27 PM »
I do a couple of crafts, but so far people haven't been too demanding. A friend asked me to make a couple of specific things for her son's birthday, but gave me a lot of advance notice and wasn't overly detailed, and they were definitely considered to be my gift for him, with nothing else required. Any "commissions" people ask about, I usually shut down right away, because I just don't work that way--I have to go with what I feel like doing, when I feel like doing it. Otherwise it becomes an obligation and not fun at all, and saps my creativity.

I agree that people have a fear of sewing, though. I make stuffed animals (freehand) and sew the occasional button back on my clothes, both instances where I am definitely not going for elegance, just whatever works. My mom is more of a patterns person but my mind gets boggled trying to follow them, I just don't think in 3-D very well.

I do think people who don't do certain crafts/creative things underestimate the time and effort they take, and the materials, too. For example, if someone asked me to make them a beaded bracelet using beads like X, Y, and Z, I would probably have to go out and buy a packet containing a dozen of each of those beads, in order to use three of each in the bracelet. Granted, I would then have those beads to use on other projects, but who's to say when THAT will be? If someone asked me for something at that level of detail, I would probably say, "Well, I could make you something in those colors, but not exactly with those beads, because I'd have to go out and purchase them special, and that would drive the cost up. If you're more flexible about which beads are used, you could have the bracelet for free/low cost." I don't blame them for not thinking about that if they don't do that hobby... as long as the conversation stays polite.

Fortunately I've not had anyone ask me to write something for them specifically, because I'm not good at doing that at all. My problem there is people who think creative writing by non-professionals is weird, and don't appreciate how much effort and joy go into it.  :-\
~Lynn2000

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:17 PM »
I forgot about writing..I used to write poetry back in the day. Not so much anymore.

One friend asked if she could use one of my poems in a paper she was writing for her psychology class about depression. She gave me full credit for it. No problem.

Another friend wanted to know if he could use one of my poems AS his school project..as in, turn it in with his name on it, claiming to have written it. That one I declined. He was very put out by it. 

cwm

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
Oh, writing. The horrors of writing.

I enjoy writing. I do it for fun. When I was in college, I translated classical poetry into Elvish. For fun. I practiced calligraphy (Elvish and English) for fun. I had people asking me if I could do a calligraphic nameplate for their books, or a greeting card. I was running off of calligraphic markers at the time, but they wanted it done in pen and ink. I told them sure, I'd be willing to do it, if they'd buy the pen and ink. And when they learned how much a left-handed calligraphy pen cost, it's funny how they'd say it wasn't so important anyway.

I still don't get that. I wasn't good at it. Decent enough to amuse myself, sure, but once I finally DID get a pen, I managed to smear everything. I now have to write everything lightly in pencil first, and go from right to left doing all the strokes in the exact OPPOSITE order I should because otherwise it'll all be horribly smeared. And I lost all my nibs and ink in one of my moves. My sister liked to joke while I still did it about how I could literally write however I darn well pleased. (I can write normally, upside-down, and mirrored as well. Annoys her to no end when I write mirror in her birthday cards and she has to take her card to the bathroom to get enough light to read the writing in the mirror.)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
I am a piano teacher, and have accompanied for chapel at school for years, ( I love the old hymns!) have volunteered with children's choirs, and a women's ensemble group. 

But I am not an accompanist.

I do not enjoy the pressure of sight reading, do not have an open schedule to attend rehearsals, am limited on time and travel to go to competitions, and would rather just not do it.

I was very pleasantly surprised this past semester when the after school violin teacher asked me if we could combine recitals and she would have her students pay me to accompany them.  She gave me the music three weeks in advance.  And they all paid, up front!  She had taught them that part of being a violinist was arranging for accompaniment, and told the parents what costs that would be in addition to lessons.  We did one rehearsal in my home studio and they were all prepared, memorized, very good kids.  I met with them early before the recital to review and it was just lovely!

so, I might work with/for this one teacher and her students again, but not others!

In the past, I have been given two days to prep the difficult music for a competition, was once asked the day of to play "mood music" at an event, and have had difficulty getting payment. 

I choose what events/groups I volunteer to play, and I have my own piano students.

Being your on-call live CD player is not a preference of mine, thank-you very much!

:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.