Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 160404 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2013, 08:29:28 PM »
For the bacon, DH just bought a book Charcuterie from Amazon. He buys pieces of pork belly (we can only get them at Whole Foods), rubs them with a spice blend, then lets them cure in the refrigerator for 3 days. He then smokes the belly over charcoal and pecan. Sliced and seared, it is divine.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2013, 08:34:18 PM »
Another wedding...

A woman I know asked me to do jewelry sets in pearl and crystal for the bride, bridemaids, and flower girl.  That's six sets of necklaces, bracelets and earrings (well 5 sets if earrings, the flower girl didn't have pierced ears). 

It was a few weeks out so I went to price it out and quoted what I thought of as a VERY generous quote of $300.  For people I have never done work before, I generally request 50% down with the remainder due on delivery...just so I don't get burned on payment.  You would have thought, I'd forced fed her a case of lemons.  She just couldn't imagine $300 was reasonable, even though I pointed out you could pay that for one pearl necklace.  I showed her on etsy that similar necklace and earring sets (no bracelet), sold for $50ish each and those were made with glass pearls.

She hemmed and hawed and went several weeks past the deadline I gave that I had to know by in order to obtain the supplies.  Then had the nerve to be pissed when I told her there was no way for me to do that order in 24 hours.

ETA:  Well I could have, but it would have required an all nighter and another $300 to pay the two extra people needed to pull it off.  I didn't even offer this though...there was no way to guarauntee that I could get what I needed at the 11th hour nor the extra hands would be free and willing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:40:40 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Whimsyone

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »
I come from a long line of talented artists..so it's in my blood! Complicated jewelry design is just one of my loves!

So, back in the day, I worked at a college. I made beaded lanyards for the office keys of my coworkers. All of a sudden, people started flowing through the door asking me to restring their necklaces. For free. But it wasn't just restringing. They would have lost two or more beads, requiring a complete redesign. Many hours and intense concentration would follow.

More and more people told their friends. I felt that there was an endless line of folks with broken necklaces outside my door.

Finally I shined up my spine and told them "Hey! I'd love to do this for you! And I'm only going to charge you $25., much, much less than the jewelry stores." (True- in my area it was $100.) It didn't take long for the requests to stop!
"Half of being smart is knowing what you're stupid at." Anon.

Jocelyn

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »
I quilt and knit. Most people don't think about the cost of materials- they assume that both crafts are a way of saving money.  Then they don't get why I just don't buy the cheapest materials available- why buy $12 a yard fabric, when you can get it for $3 at the discount store?
What really annoys me are the people who KNOW ALL ABOUT the craft, despite having never practiced it. At our last quilt show, one of them came in and announced he was there to buy a quilt, and was willing to pay as much as $100. The other ladies restrained me from giving him directions to Wal-Mart. When one lady tried to explain that quilt fabric generally runs $10 a yard and up, and you would need upwards of 5 yards for the top, 5 yards or so for the backing, and 3 yards of batting at $12 a yard, he just chuckled at her with a 'humor the little crazy lady' sort of demeanor.
All of these situations are tailor-made for the Ehell phrase 'why would I want to do that?'
I occasionally explain to people that I don't have enough time to complete all the projects I WANT to complete, so I'm completely disinterested in doing any project that doesn't interest me. Which is 95% of the 'make this for me' requests.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2013, 09:22:17 PM »
"What do you mean, you charge $150 an hour for story telling?  I see you tell stories in the library for free all the time."

No.  You see me telling stories as part of my JOB AT THE LIBRARY.  Because it is occasionally part of my job description, it is also part of my salary.  YOU want me to spend ten hours of my free time rehearsing ghost stories and then giving up three hours of my Saturday afternoon to come to your house and tell stories for an hour. 

Now, story telling is among my passions, but I am not so passionate that I am going to spend precious free moments rehearsing stories I haven't told for a year out of the goodness of my heart.

The same woman said to me "Asking money for telling stories!  I can do that myself."

Good luck lady.  I have very bad, very off days where I cannot remember the stories I have been rehearsing for a week or three.  And I KNOW what I'm doing.  You?  Not so much.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2013, 09:32:39 PM »
Iíve posted numerous times about craft moochers.  Youíd think Iíd be out of stories by now.

I make dream catchers, which young kids adore.  Generally Iíll make one for any kid who asks.  Frequently, however, the gift is followed by a parent demanding that I teach their child how to make a dream catcher.  Iíve learned the hard way that very few children under 12 have the motor skills, attention span, or temperament to make one. 

The project has to be done at my house since I have the materials and tools.  Almost always, the parent brings the child and then announces that they need to run an errand and will ďbe right backĒ.  So Iím stuck, possibly for hours, with a child who quickly turns cranky when they realize the project is not the fun time they expected.  They donít listen and insist on doing it their own way, which means I spend a great deal of time untangling horrible knots. 

One mother cancelled a session at the last minute because her daughter was not feeling well.  She cancelled the rescheduled session because her daughter was tired.  There was no third session, and our budding friendship took a nosedive.

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »
Why is basic sewing such a novelty to some people? I have basic skills like buttons and hems, and I can follow a Simplicity pattern. People act like I can spin gold when they find out.
It's part of our culture of learned helplessness.  "You have to be a professional to do X."  So Jane Q. Public, who of course is not a professional seamstress herself, stands in awe of our ability to sew on buttons.  And if, by that logic, we are "professionals" then of course we could make her niece's wedding gown out of that lovely hand-beaded silk that's $300 per yard.  But since we aren't the kind of professionals who actually make a living at sewing, we should be happy to do it for free. 

Substitute any of the other crafts here for 'sewing', of course, if it applies.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »

Every once in a while, people will mention that they loved one of my baby quilts and would love for me to make one that they can gift to someone they know, but theyíve always taken "I prefer to just sew for fun when the mood strikes" at face value and never followed up.

My SO took a while to learnóhe'll still ask me to make a "blanket" for a friend, but gives me a whole lot of lead time (and buys at least part of the supplies if they aren't in my stash already or all if itís not a joint gift). The lead time only came after he asked me to make a quilt for his grandmother a week before Christmas. I finished it in time, but he didn't get to see me very much that week. :)

That first bolded section would just frost me.

That's just covetous. It's bad enough for them to ask for something from me, someone who actually knows them and cares about them.

But for them to "spend" my time and energy on behalf of someone who is not MY friend is just beyond the pale. Yeah, yeah, supposedly I'm doing for *them*, since they're the one who asked. But really they're just using me as a commodity for them to pay off their social debt.

I once made a cookbook for a friend's bridal shower, taking recipes from a defunct magazine I'd worked for and putting them into an index card booklet w/ a binder ring through one corner.

I added chapters on stuff like "the herbs and spices you need, and what to use them for" (those I wrote), and added notes to the recipes to tell more about how to make them, etc.

My MIL admired it and immediately said, "Maybe you could make one for Cousin You Barely Know, because her shower is coming up."  I said, "Do you know how much work that was? Donna is a really good friend of mine--that's why I made it for her."

CuriousParty

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
Sadly, this does not just happen with crafts or hobbies. My father volunteered me to edit my sister's master's thesis "because you've done a master's thesis." Yes, but 1) in a totally different subject area and 2) I was, at the time, doing my dissertation. Then he volunteered me to run her stats (which I found out when she sent me the raw data with a note that dad had told her I'd do it...) All at the last minute, of course.

I did the editing, with help from then-BF-now-DH who is in a parallel field since I didn't know some of the vocab or phrasing, but both of them got reemed out over the stats issue and Dad was threatened with an invoice.

This still happens with my professional work, although I can deflect much of it with my pet phrase - "The family rate is double."

Miss Tickle

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2013, 11:37:31 PM »
"What do you mean, you charge $150 an hour for story telling?  I see you tell stories in the library for free all the time."

No.  You see me telling stories as part of my JOB AT THE LIBRARY.  Because it is occasionally part of my job description, it is also part of my salary.  YOU want me to spend ten hours of my free time rehearsing ghost stories and then giving up three hours of my Saturday afternoon to come to your house and tell stories for an hour. 

Now, story telling is among my passions, but I am not so passionate that I am going to spend precious free moments rehearsing stories I haven't told for a year out of the goodness of my heart.

The same woman said to me "Asking money for telling stories!  I can do that myself."

Good luck lady.  I have very bad, very off days where I cannot remember the stories I have been rehearsing for a week or three.  And I KNOW what I'm doing.  You?  Not so much.

Wow. That is so cool. I had no idea you could hire someone to do that. Do you wear costumes? That would be the best Halloween party ever!

I started "making" clothes when I was 9. I wanted a great big skirt, so I made one out of garbage bags. then I started cutting up stuff from the thrift store and making other stuff. Mostly messes. I took my first sewing class when I was 10 and my Mother started hiring me out shortly thereafter (had to make back the price of the class plus all the clothes I ruined), so for about a year I sewed for a living, so to speak.

I got plenty of work, but there was always a dollar figure attached.  I love crafting and have many interests, but requests for freebies are always denied unless it's something I'm completely willing to do. It might sound mercenary, but I learned from a young age that skills like knitting and sewing were valuable and even children deserved to be paid for them. It helped that my Great-great-grandmother wrote her life story, and one of the things she talked about was knitting mittens when she was 8 to help support her family.

Nobody in my current circle of friends knows I sew. I tell them the costumes I "find" were from the thrift store, cast-offs from the theater, or deals I got on-line. Not that I think they'd hit me up, but...

But it's the cooking that bugs me. I cook all the time, I don't want to be invited to someone else's house and cook too. I'm not a chef. I'm not going to teach your kids to cook, that's your job. If you're having a potluck I'm going to bring what I want to make, not what you order. I don't cater. If you want pickled whatever you're going to have to wait until pickle season. I'm not making ketchup in the heat of the summer, I don't care how much you're craving it.

I can't bake. I'm cursed. I can't make chocolate chips cookies from the package. I can make fondant, but not the cake. Clafoutis, but not the crust. People taste my baking and despair. Baking's not just work, it's magic.

Still want to get invited to any party where Yarnspinner is telling stories. Badly.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2013, 03:29:27 AM »
Computer art and video editing. I am an amateur and I can do the basics. e.g. recovering someone's photos when they were taken in low light for example.

I think the most disturbing one was the one where I did a lot of DVD work for free for a friend's family DVD - it took a couple of weekends - and then found the person I'd done the favour for had charged several hundred pounds to sell the DVD on. He can't understand why I am now permanently unavailable for future work.  It still annoys me thinking about it.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2013, 03:48:09 AM »
Oh, the people who think you would just love to come cater their party because you know how to turn on an oven and read a recipe!  I am by no means an Iron Chef, but I have a few specialties.  The most asked for is my potato salad (my sister swears I must put crack in it because it is addictive!) .  The first time I make it for the year is Easter and then I make it a few times over the summer.  I gladly make a vat of it for my sister and BIL because they appreciate it and don't just assume because they have a hankering, I am jumping to make it.  When I do make it, I usually do about 20 lbs of potatoes so there is a lot of work involved in prep.  I took some in for a work pot luck once (by request from Boss who heard my sis raving about it).  Co worker's BIL comes over and fixes a plate (still trying to figure out that one as he didn't work there) and he fell in love with it.  He then started asking me to make it for him all.the.time!  I said when I do make it, sure I will bring him some..no, can't I just make him some?   ???  I finally told him for me to make this as often as he asks, he is going to the store, buy the stuff (it doesn't cost much but can add up if I have to keep mass producing it for him!), deliver the stuff to my house (I don't drive and I am not going to keep hauling bags of taters home on the bus for his bi weekly fixes), then he will pick up the finished product so I don't have to keep hauling it in on buses.  Oh, and he was supplying his own containers as mine kept disappearing when I would give him one.  He was highly put out..how hard can it be to keep making it and delivering it?? 

Then he had the gall to say he decided I should chop my onions differently because he wasn't sure he liked the size pieces I had put in >:(.  I quit that job last August..former co worker (who I do still talk to) asked me right before Easter if I would still be delivering her BIL's potato salad to him !

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2013, 04:39:56 AM »
I used to crochet & do petit point, which segues into counted cross stitch. My mother was bad for telling me to make crocheted afghans for her friends, for which I was reimbursed only the price of the materials. I made a ton of baby blankets, sweaters, and snuggie-poose* things for expecting girlfriends & coworkers over the years. I remember sending a box (obtained from the liquor store, imagine a box which had held 12 bottles of wine) of hand-made baby things to my older sister when she was expecting my younger nephew. Baby-daddy asked, "Where did AuntieA get the money to buy all this stuff?" Oldersis replied, "Buy them? She made them!"

Sadly, arthritis now precludes my doing cross stitch, and crocheting isn't easy for me. Still, I made a gorgeous mauve and white baby afghan for my great-niece when she was expected, over two years ago.

I was in the position of being the recipient of someone's craft largesse a few years ago. We were a few months away from a tropical vacation, and I had bought a length of raspberry sundae colored ribbed silky polyester to use as a sarong. I mentioned to some of the nurses in CCU that I would be hemming the edges by hand, and one of them insisted that I bring the fabric in to her so she could do the job for me with her serger. Even though she kept telling me it was no problem, it took her less than half an hour, I brought a pair of silver and turquoise earrings back for her from that trip.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

alkira6

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »
Oooooh, the sewing moochers.  I feel the pain for that one.  For closer friends I have no problem doing small things as long as they understand that it will be on my timetable. Honestly, you might not get your stuff back for months.  When I was in college and desperate I nearly wore my little brother out doing sewing jobs. And really, college students were the best for not arguing about prices.  $20 to fix a rip and it took me 3 minutes?! Can you do it? Do you want it done? Either pay for it or hit the door.

I was also "voluntold" a lot when I was younger. It really hurt to see the miniature furniture that took me hours to make sold for 2-3 dollars at the church jumble sale. Same with the crocheted pot holders and scarves.  I now knit/crochet when I want to and on my timetable.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2013, 08:58:21 AM »
I just remembered a barter I did with one of my coworkers.

I wanted some catnip 'mice', with no timetable in mind.  Just little pillows of fabric, stuffed with polyfil and catnip.  I supplied the polyfil and the catnip, she supplied the fabric scraps and the sewing.  And in return, she got some fresh veggies from my garden.

My cats loved them.  And I have lots of cat nip in my herb bed this year so I might have to ask her if she's willing to do it again.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario