Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 175661 times)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
Wow. Having a baby for someone is like the ultimate "hey, will you do this for free?" request. That's insane. Absolutely insane.

random numbers

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
I don't know why I forgot about this, probably because I blocked it out.

Years ago, when I was in my 20s, healthy and hearty and young, my sister tried to talk me into HAVING A BABY for a young couple in her church, who couldn't have children of their own.
[for the record, we come from excellent baby-making stock]
I had no objections to that part of it, but I wanted money for it, for the doctor's bills, and for the 'rental' of my body for nine months!  (I was dirt poor at the time and struggling)  She thought I was horrible and should do it for free. 

Why didn't she do it?  She was still a minor. 

Yeah. That didn't happen.

I think that won the thread. And broke my brain a bit.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
I scolded my husband once for volunteering me to fix broken jewelry for his co-workers. He brought home a bag of loose beads once and said "My boss broke her necklace. Can you re-string it and stuff?"

No clasp, of course. Some beads missing. I said "Sure, did she send the money to fix it, too?"

DH looks uncomfortable. "Well....no...I didn't ask for any. I figured since it was for my boss and all, you could fix it as a favor.."

I made him pay me for the supplies I had to use to fix the necklace, and told him that under no circumstances is he to ever volunteer me to fix something for free again. I don't care if it's for his boss or not. I also told him that he's not to just bring me a bag of loose beads after having told someone I'd fix their jewelry. He can tell someone that he will check with me to see if I'm available to fix their broken whatever, but don't assume I have the time or willingness to do it.

nuit93

« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2013, 02:09:46 PM »

Years ago, when I was in my 20s, healthy and hearty and young, my sister tried to talk me into HAVING A BABY for a young couple in her church, who couldn't have children of their own.
I had no objections to that part of it, but I wanted money for it, for the doctor's bills, and for the 'rental' of my body for nine months!  (I was dirt poor at the time and struggling)  She thought I was horrible and should do it for free. 

Yep, you win.

Considering there are women who can make well into five figures per pregnancy for being willing to rent out their wombs, I'd say you were well within your rights to ask for compensation. 

Heck, there was a time when I would have done it.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2013, 02:21:59 PM »

Congratulations, here's your internet.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2013, 02:29:36 PM »
I am to the point where any time to craft is luxury, so I spend that time doing what I want.

I used to make jewelry for female family members, but after my mom broke her third piece in a row because she couldn't leave it be and kept tugging on the ends to make them lay right  :o, I no longer make jewelry gifts for anyone but one friend. I make pieces on commission, but only during my 7 weeks out of school per year.

Hillia

« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »
I have a question for the crafters: Suppose I were to approach you and ask, 'Would you be interested in doing <commission>?  What would you charge?'  And after hearing the charge, I said, 'Oh my, I had no idea...I'm afraid I can't afford this right now'.  Would you be offended by this exchange? I'm not saying that your time and skill aren't worth the price, more that I didn't know what that price was and now that I know, it's just out of my budget.   

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2013, 02:38:15 PM »
I have a question for the crafters: Suppose I were to approach you and ask, 'Would you be interested in doing <commission>?  What would you charge?'  And after hearing the charge, I said, 'Oh my, I had no idea...I'm afraid I can't afford this right now'.  Would you be offended by this exchange? I'm not saying that your time and skill aren't worth the price, more that I didn't know what that price was and now that I know, it's just out of my budget.

No. I honestly expect people to back down when I quote them a price, based on past experience. It's kind of a nice surprise when someone actually agrees to it.

Jocelyn

« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
I would not be offended. I know that a lot of people may innocently underestimate the cost of materials and the number of hours. So long as they didn't imply that the work wasn't worth it.  I mean, if you say you can't afford it right now, there's always the possibility that you could afford it in the future. :) And how could I take it personally that you'd rather pay your utilities bill? ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
I would not be offended, people underestimate the costs of all my crafts, with jewelry especially as metal and precious stone prices change daily. With cakes, it is an hour or two to bake it, then an hour to start decorating plus any additional embellishment. I would prefer to be turned down rather than have someone back out when I have invested $$ and time in a project.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »

I think that would be a perfectly polite interaction (bearing in mind tone, exact wording, etc.). I think the offense comes when someone draws back in horror at the suggested price and then says/implies that the work isn't actually worth that and the crafter must be inflating numbers, and says that their daughter's babysitter's mom's dog-walker could do it for less--or Wal-Mart.  ::)

I think the cycle of homemade vs. commercial products is really interesting. At one point it was the norm to make everything yourself, and only wealthy people could afford to have something that was manufactured--a "store-bought" dress instead of the one Mom made for you. Then it switched to where manufactured goods were cheaper, and the homemade things were expensive luxuries. Yet when I was a kid, even though manufactured goods were actually quite cheap, it was for some reason considered "low class" if your mom made your clothes, so people had the perception that homemade was done to save money, I guess.
~Lynn2000

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »
It would depend on your tone of voice, I think. (Assuming face-to-face interaction.)  If I felt that you were trying to wheedle me down to substantially less than that, I might be offended. 

Online, no.  I've done just that scenario.  Someone wanted a quilt for a California king bed and inquired if I'd take a commission.  After he got told that the fabric would cost $X and the batting would be $Y, so the total for just supplies would be $Z, he apologized and said that it was more than he was thinking of.

I think that would be a perfectly polite interaction (bearing in mind tone, exact wording, etc.). I think the offense comes when someone draws back in horror at the suggested price and then says/implies that the work isn't actually worth that and the crafter must be inflating numbers, and says that their daughter's babysitter's mom's dog-walker could do it for less--or Wal-Mart.  ::)
Exactly.  "You want HOW MUCH for a quilt?  I can buy one at Walmart for $30!"  Well, yes, you can.  Some woman in China was probably grateful to get $.25 an hour for her work.   But it won't be appliqued in the patterns that you want, with the fabrics that you choose.

I see lovely quilts at the Amish Market in Annapolis.   And I think that $800 is too little for their work.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:11:25 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2013, 03:07:34 PM »

Wouldn't bother me at all.  You aren't saying that my work isn't worth that much; you are just telling me that it was more than you thought it would be and it isn't in the budget.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
I got around that one once by saying sadly 'yes, I was afraid it would be more than I could afford, but it's so beautiful that I had to ask,' and honour was satisfied on both sides.

Hillia

« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »
I got around that one once by saying sadly 'yes, I was afraid it would be more than I could afford, but it's so beautiful that I had to ask,' and honour was satisfied on both sides.

What a lovely example of tact!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools