News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 11:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 739070 times)

nuit93

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #225 on: July 01, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
This thread reminds me of a story I read in a magazine.  This couple were at a craft show and at one booth, they snarked about how they could make the same things.  Until they saw a sign that reads "Sure you can make it.  But will you?"

Love it!

Chip2

« Reply #226 on: July 01, 2013, 11:22:41 AM »
This thread reminds me of a story I read in a magazine.  This couple were at a craft show and at one booth, they snarked about how they could make the same things.  Until they saw a sign that reads "Sure you can make it.  But will you?"

I've been to a couple of craft shows where the woodworking items were of lower quality than stuff I could make (and in some cases had made) on my own, but I always keep those opinions to myself. I'd rather the crafter keep working and get better than get discouraged and give up.

But I do have this dilemma at grocery stores. I see cookies that look good but immediately think, "I can make better at home myself," and don't buy the goodies. And I can make better at home, but I rarely do, but I guess I'm better off that way because it keeps my weight under control.  ::) 

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #227 on: July 01, 2013, 01:51:28 PM »

Another true story remembered from a mailing list.

To paraphrase, the poster had a booth at a craft show.  Cheap Customer kept looking at something and decided NOT to buy it but to get her friend, Betty, to look at it so Betty could make her one for just the cost of materials, because Betty was crafty.

Next year, Cheap Customer came back (when the woman spent hours every day for three days hanging around her booth, handling things but not buying them - the poster recognized her).

She dragged Betty over to look at something that she wanted for "just the cost of materials" again.

Betty told her in no uncertain terms to BUY herself the danged thing already, it had taken Betty three attempts at several hours each to get ONE good enough for Cheap Customer to actually pay her for the materials and she still had the other two sitting in her craft room, because she was trying to decide what to do with them.....and Betty was not going to make any more things for Cheap Customer.  It was too much work!

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

lilfox

« Reply #228 on: July 01, 2013, 02:34:59 PM »

I have seen this sign at a few craft booths over the years.   :)  I think my mom needs to carry one with her to remind herself that while she is crafty and talented and could actually make the thing herself, she will just end up investing money in the materials, try it a few times, maybe get one or two good results, and then move on to the next thing that catches her eye.  It will never be her calling to do one craft full-time (hers is the home of a million WIPs), regardless of her initial enthusiasm.

She once talked me into buying three pretty but simple padded quilt squares with a ribbon design with the hopes that I would recreate these myself for upcoming holiday gifts.  10 years later, I still have those quilt squares and have never been inspired to make new ones.  I wouldn't make one-to-one duplicates at any rate, when it comes to crafting I think inspiration is one thing but imitation is not flattering at all.

That said, I'm much more likely to buy a craft that I know I could never master (e.g. jewelry with intricate wire work) than something I could make myself (any simple knit item), even if I never did.

cwm

« Reply #229 on: July 01, 2013, 02:42:40 PM »
That said, I'm much more likely to buy a craft that I know I could never master (e.g. jewelry with intricate wire work) than something I could make myself (any simple knit item), even if I never did.

POD to this. I don't have the time, money, or steady hands required to do jewelry work. I've seen those jewelry saws, I'm more likely to lose bits and bobs of myself than make anything worthwhile. I tried setting up a beadworking studio, but I don't have a kiln to anneal the beads, so I couldn't sell them if I wanted to, and they're not that great to begin with. I don't have the time to go out to where my studio is and practice. If I see some really neat lampwork beads and I want to use them for something, I'm much more likely to buy them than try to recreate them, it'll only end badly for me.

LadyClaire

« Reply #230 on: July 01, 2013, 03:02:33 PM »

I've bought things I could probably make, if I really wanted to, but honestly with some stuff I'd rather pay someone else to do it for me. I've bought jewelry before from other metalsmiths because I like their style. I'd rather pay the original artist than replicate it.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »
This thread has inspired me to have a go at quiting.

I will let you know in a week or so if I am grateful for that inspiration.   >:D
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #232 on: July 01, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »

I will let you know in a week or so if I am grateful for that inspiration.   >:D

I think you are missing an 'L'.  That's one heckuva Freudian slip.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

TeamBhakta

« Reply #233 on: July 01, 2013, 08:23:53 PM »

Sure you can quit. But will you ?

>:D

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2013, 03:52:25 AM »

Just woke DH up with my laughing.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

LadyClaire

« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2013, 06:54:55 AM »

*high fives* nice one!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2013, 08:57:08 AM »
My mom is very talented at crafts, and when I was a kid, she would sometimes go to craft shows and see something she liked, and buy one of them.  Then she'd made a whole bunch to pass out at work, or have my Girl Scout troop make as a craft, things like that.  She did always buy one, though, both to give her a model and to pay the craft for her work.  These would always be simple, basic things, though, like a wooden spool reindeer, or a little felt Christmas tree ornament, or whatever.  Not things like quilts!
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Thipu1

« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
A problem I see is that some people hear the word 'crafts' and automatically think of elbow macaroni and Elmer's Glue-All.  They don't take the 'Arts & Crafts' movement into consideration.

Years ago, the museum showed a gorgeous installation of glass work designed by Dale Chiluly.  You wouldn't believe the flack it got from some segments of the museum community. 

'That isn't art!  It doesn't have a message!  It's just craft!'

True, there was no political or social comment in the installation but everyone who walked through the front door smiled when they saw it.  Isn't that a good enough message to send? 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2013, 09:21:12 AM »
A problem I see is that some people hear the word 'crafts' and automatically think of elbow macaroni and Elmer's Glue-All.  They don't take the 'Arts & Crafts' movement into consideration.

Years ago, the museum showed a gorgeous installation of glass work designed by Dale Chiluly.  You wouldn't believe the flack it got from some segments of the museum community. 

True, there was no political or social comment in the installation but everyone who walked through the front door smiled when they saw it.  Isn't that a good enough message to send?

I just saw one of his exhibits in Richmond in Dec. All I can say is WOW!  I'm just sorry I took the "no camera" rule so seriously; apparently you could take them, if you didn't use a flash. I was floored; his stuff is so amazing, and it IS most certainly art!

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »

My response to that:
    Calvin: People always make the mistake of thinking art is created for them. But really, art is a private language for sophisticates to congratulate themselves on their superiority to the rest of the world. As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
    Hobbes: You misspelled Weltanschauung.

I absolutely despise people who think that something isn't "art," unless it's fraught with deep meaning. As Calvin says, it's just a way for them to congratulate themselves on their supposed superiority.

The irony is that even the most beautiful paintings in the world require far more of what these people would call "craft" than "art." The Mona Lisa wouldn't be nearly as beautiful if Davinci hadn't mastered the craft of painting. Someone can have the most wonderful ideas, full of meaning, but if they lack the craft, those ideas will never see the light of day.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.