Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 160499 times)

BB-VA

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »
My 11th grade English teacher ruined reading for me for MONTHS with the "there's only one meaning in this book and this is what it is" approach.  It always made me wish for a time machine so I could go back in time and ASK the author what they meant. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

nuit93

« Reply #286 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »
I remember hearing somewhere that John Lennon had written "I Am The Walrus" after finding out that students were studying some of his other lyrics as poetry.  Only he hadn't meant any hidden meaning in the lyrics, he just wanted to mess with people who went looking for them.

Jocelyn

« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
Forgive me for getting a bit off-topic, but I love this thread and secretly want to see updates.

Years ago a club in which we were active had an annual Event.  Each family was required to donate one pie.  Many of us did not have the time or skill required, so went to a bakery or Perkins and spent $12.00.  The club officer cut each donated pie into 8 slices which were sold for $1.00 each, (often to ourselves,) and the club had an $8.00 profit from each donated pie!  Hurray!
Many years ago, my mother killed the annual bake sale for her women's group, by announcing that she was too busy to bake something that would sell for less than the cost of ingredients, so she would just donate the cost of the ingredients. There was a stunned silence, then most of the rest of the club joined her. By the end of the meeting, they had more pledged than they'd ever made at the bake sale, and that was the last time anyone suggested having one- after that, they had an annual no-bake sale, to which everyone donated cash.  >:D

Coruscation

« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
My cousin did an assignment once. It was to analyse three poems for meaning. He found two and wrote about them but couldn't find a third that he liked. So he wrote one and analysed it, attaching a copy of all three poems to his assignment with his name attached to the one he wrote.  His teacher failed him for that section of the assignment saying that he didn't understand the poem at all. He refused to change the mark when my cousin pointed out that he was the author, claiming that he knew that.

Oddly, cousin still passed as his analysis of the other two poems was good.

kckgirl

« Reply #289 on: July 03, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »
I was done with bake sales when I made a cheesecake topped with cherries for a fundraiser to pay for our work holiday party. A man came in as soon as we started and wanted the whole thing. He asked how much we were charging, and the organizer told him $5. That was my last donation to a work bake sale. It brought less than half the cost of ingredients. We would have gotten at least $1 per slice. I would have preferred the unbake sale mentioned above.
Maryland

Jocelyn

« Reply #290 on: July 03, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »

She once talked me into buying three pretty but simple padded quilt squares with a ribbon design with the hopes that I would recreate these myself for upcoming holiday gifts.   
FYI- if anyone thinks about making potholders this way, DO NOT use polyester batting. I already knew this, but it was brought home to me when I was home this past week, and used a potholder to put a casserole dish into its basket. The dish was oven-hot, and the corner of the potholder got stuck between the basket and the dish, and after trying several times to remove it, I just put it on the table as it was. After dinner, I pulled the cooled dish out of the basket...and the corner of the potholder had melted and fused into a shape molded by the corner of the hot dish. There was also another long gash where the fabric had melted (it must have been polyester, too). I was just lucky I hadn't gotten any of that melted ******* on my hands...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #291 on: July 03, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »
Wasn't there a story about a famous author - possibly Isaac Asimov - anonymously sitting in on a university lecture about his work?  If I remember correctly, the instructor was going on and on about the symbolism of this and the allegory of that, and Asimov finally stood up and said "Excuse me - I'm Isaac Asimov, and I didn't put any of that into my book."  The instructor sniffed "Just because you wrote it, doesn't mean you know everything about it."  Asimov sat down and shut up.   :)

I remember a similar story involving Marshall McLuhan.  In a Woody Allen movie, he was standing between Woody and his date and a twit who was holding forth on 'The Medium is the Message'. 

In the movie, McLuhan turns around and confronts the idiot. 

'Excuse me.  I'm Marshall McLuhan and you know nothing about my work'.

Hillia

« Reply #292 on: July 03, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
Wasn't there a story about a famous author - possibly Isaac Asimov - anonymously sitting in on a university lecture about his work?  If I remember correctly, the instructor was going on and on about the symbolism of this and the allegory of that, and Asimov finally stood up and said "Excuse me - I'm Isaac Asimov, and I didn't put any of that into my book."  The instructor sniffed "Just because you wrote it, doesn't mean you know everything about it."  Asimov sat down and shut up.   :)

I remember a similar story involving Marshall McLuhan.  In a Woody Allen movie, he was standing between Woody and his date and a twit who was holding forth on 'The Medium is the Message'. 

Or the Rodney Dangerfield movie 'Back to School'...he plays an extremely wealthy man who goes back to college to encourage his son to finish.  He hires Kurt Vonnegut to write his English paper on Kurt Vonnegut, and the paper fails because 'he knows nothing about Kurt Vonnegut'.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jocelyn

« Reply #293 on: July 03, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
  One poster wrote this wonderful post about what memories the pattern of the fabric brought up for her, and how she might design around those images.  I was floored...the best I could come up with was matching the colors of the print!

(and shamefully, years later, I *still* haven't done anything with that fabric).
I got this from a Jinny Beyer workshop years ago. She showed 2 quilts, one where she exactly matched the colors in the main print, one in which she did the same design but went a shade darker or lighter than the print. It was astounding how much more vivid and lively the second quilt was. Then she showed a third quilt, where she used several shades of each of the colors in the print...3 shades of purple, 3-4 shades of blue,  ranging from a close match (as in quilt 2) to being very much lighter or darker. The third quilt, most of the audience agreed, was by far the most interesting.

poundcake

« Reply #294 on: July 03, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »

Four words: "Death of the Author."  >:D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #295 on: July 03, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »
  One poster wrote this wonderful post about what memories the pattern of the fabric brought up for her, and how she might design around those images.  I was floored...the best I could come up with was matching the colors of the print!

(and shamefully, years later, I *still* haven't done anything with that fabric).
I got this from a Jinny Beyer workshop years ago. She showed 2 quilts, one where she exactly matched the colors in the main print, one in which she did the same design but went a shade darker or lighter than the print. It was astounding how much more vivid and lively the second quilt was. Then she showed a third quilt, where she used several shades of each of the colors in the print...3 shades of purple, 3-4 shades of blue,  ranging from a close match (as in quilt 2) to being very much lighter or darker. The third quilt, most of the audience agreed, was by far the most interesting.
Which is why I have Great Wall of Fabric.  I bought this panel:

and put an inner Flying Geese border in about 15 different fabrics, all shades of turquoise and blue and purple.  If you use that many fabrics, it doesn't matter if you run out of something -- you just substitute something else! 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Minmom3

« Reply #296 on: July 03, 2013, 10:24:38 PM »

She once talked me into buying three pretty but simple padded quilt squares with a ribbon design with the hopes that I would recreate these myself for upcoming holiday gifts.   
FYI- if anyone thinks about making potholders this way, DO NOT use polyester batting. I already knew this, but it was brought home to me when I was home this past week, and used a potholder to put a casserole dish into its basket. The dish was oven-hot, and the corner of the potholder got stuck between the basket and the dish, and after trying several times to remove it, I just put it on the table as it was. After dinner, I pulled the cooled dish out of the basket...and the corner of the potholder had melted and fused into a shape molded by the corner of the hot dish. There was also another long gash where the fabric had melted (it must have been polyester, too). I was just lucky I hadn't gotten any of that melted ******* on my hands...

Use cotton or wool batting when making pot holders, and cotton or wool on the outside.  FIL burned several of the potholders I made him, but he never melted them, and never hurt his hands.  My pot holders were loved and replacements requested when the old set got too bedraggled to function anymore.  FIL had a gift for destroying my potholders...  But he really did like that they protected his hands so well, as he had neuropathy after having chemo, and didn't always notice when things were too hot to be safe.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

weeblewobble

« Reply #297 on: July 03, 2013, 11:28:15 PM »

On another note, for the lady who's afraid to take her gorgeous cross stitch to Micheal's to have it framed, because of an entitlement poisoned mother whose daughter works there and might make it disappear, I would have gone right to a manager too, and told them what that entitlehog told me. After all, they might like to know they've got a potential thief working for them. Or perhaps daughter might end up having words with her mother, about how such entitled ranting could make her lose her job.

Did I miss this post?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #298 on: July 03, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »

On another note, for the lady who's afraid to take her gorgeous cross stitch to Micheal's to have it framed, because of an entitlement poisoned mother whose daughter works there and might make it disappear, I would have gone right to a manager too, and told them what that entitlehog told me. After all, they might like to know they've got a potential thief working for them. Or perhaps daughter might end up having words with her mother, about how such entitled ranting could make her lose her job.

Did I miss this post?

It's this one:

I made this a while ago http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/369401065_27eb23826c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://januarysstitchingblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/sampler-teresa-wentzler_10.html&h=500&w=375&sz=181&tbnid=aGs54EqKxxjdGM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=68&zoom=1&usg=__AqxrznEFmfegIbjvDxj69NCdvGE=&docid=Dx-q8tvOWeImwM&sa=X&ei=OMbIUam7MYXJ4AOwoIHABA&ved=0CFkQ9QEwBw&dur=55

took it to Michael's to get it framed...and heard from a child in back of me 'Mommy, Can I have that for my room?"  and the mother agreed. She sauntered over looked at me and said " Allison wants that."

Me: " I want it too, and because I stitched it, I am keeping it."

Mom: "Allison wants it, and she gets what she wants."

Me: I used XXX pattern, DMC threads, and it took me 6months to do. good luck doing it for her!"

Mom: " I will just have yours, my older daughter works here and she'll bring it home."

I did not end up leaving it and it still sits,rolled up in a tube because I won't risk it again. Someday I will have to take a course in framing and matting. :(

christmascarol

« Reply #299 on: July 04, 2013, 05:35:42 AM »
I know a very talented man called David Wood  http://www.david-j-wood.co.uk/Recent.htm

As well as painting, he writes plays.  When he directed one in an am dram contest, the judge said he didn't think the director had quite grasped what the author meant...  I wish I'd been there to see his face when the cast collapsed in hysterics.