Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 180703 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #300 on: July 04, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »
I know a very talented man called David Wood  http://www.david-j-wood.co.uk/Recent.htm

As well as painting, he writes plays.  When he directed one in an am dram contest, the judge said he didn't think the director had quite grasped what the author meant...  I wish I'd been there to see his face when the cast collapsed in hysterics.
That is just lovely.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

christmascarol

« Reply #301 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
It all ended on very friendly terms on both sides so yes, it was lovely :-)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #302 on: July 04, 2013, 02:17:31 PM »
And I tend to be the other way around.  I can sew very well, and so many people say that I'm 'creative', but honestly, I'm a mechanic.  I can follow a pattern. I can pick out a cool fabric and follow a pattern. I can even, sometimes, come up with something from a picture.   But PLEASE, please don't ask me to design something with an offset hem, or off the shoulder, or even try to decide where to put a line of lace.  I simply can NOT make something from nothing.  It doesn't exist in my head.  I need directions and a pattern.

This is the way I am when playing the clarinet.  I can follow music and play it well, but don't ask me to improvise or transpose in my head because I can't do it.  I'd love to be able to play like Benny Goodman, but he had real talent; I am merely a competent technician.  Now, with sewing, I'm about halfway between "mechanic" and "artistic".  There are some things I can design, but nothing really complicated. 

KB

« Reply #303 on: July 04, 2013, 06:55:31 PM »
Four words: "Death of the Author."  >:D

Hear, hear...

Cami

« Reply #304 on: July 04, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
I made this a while ago http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/369401065_27eb23826c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://januarysstitchingblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/sampler-teresa-wentzler_10.html&h=500&w=375&sz=181&tbnid=aGs54EqKxxjdGM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=68&zoom=1&usg=__AqxrznEFmfegIbjvDxj69NCdvGE=&docid=Dx-q8tvOWeImwM&sa=X&ei=OMbIUam7MYXJ4AOwoIHABA&ved=0CFkQ9QEwBw&dur=55

took it to Michael's to get it framed...and heard from a child in back of me 'Mommy, Can I have that for my room?"  and the mother agreed. She sauntered over looked at me and said " Allison wants that."

Me: " I want it too, and because I stitched it, I am keeping it."

Mom: "Allison wants it, and she gets what she wants."

Me: I used XXX pattern, DMC threads, and it took me 6months to do. good luck doing it for her!"

Mom: " I will just have yours, my older daughter works here and she'll bring it home."

I did not end up leaving it and it still sits,rolled up in a tube because I won't risk it again. Someday I will have to take a course in framing and matting. :(
Surely there are other places that do framing than that one store?

Amara

« Reply #305 on: July 05, 2013, 01:20:56 AM »
Snowdragon, I have been thinking about your beautiful piece a lot and the worry about taking it to that particular store. You ought to have it framed; it belongs on your walls! Do you think it would be worth making an appointment with the primary store manager and meeting with her/him to show him your piece, tell her what happened, and ask the manager (and maybe the frame shop manager or lead person) to personally take charge of it and see it through to completion, thus ensuring its safety?

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #306 on: July 05, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »
Hey ladies.. I was reading your thread. I want to save up for 2 twin sized quilts for my son and daughter's bed. How much should I plan on? I was thinking something like this but with the name and birthdate on it

http://www.google.com/search?q=baby+quilts+with+name+embroidered&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=TtvWUdH1H_PlyAGAtIGgDw&ved=0CE4QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=887#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=DEWEyIj7W31aCM%3A%3B8qPL4cmmflGPtM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimage.dhgate.com%252Falbu_314357777_00-1.0x0%252Fbaby-quilt-play-mat-nursery-cotton-bedding.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dhgate.com%252Fproduct%252Fbaby-quilt-play-mat-nursery-cotton-bedding%252F154795107.html%3B800%3B800

Blue themed for our newborn and purple for the boarder for our 5 year old...Not expecting it rushed.. I would love to save up for it and then pay honest price. Never asked for something custom made so sorry if I offend.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #307 on: July 05, 2013, 11:01:38 AM »
This might be a better search for you to run: http://www.etsy.com/search?q=baby%20quilt%20name%20embroidered&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US (especially since some of those photos came from Etsy).

Every quilter is going to have his or her own price scheme for something like this, so your better bet is to find someone who makes quilts like that and ask them.

To give you a ballpark idea, though, I regularly spend around $100 for just the materials (fabric, batting, thread) that would go into a quilt that is twin-sized. If you are asking specifically about the design that comes up after page load (with the owl), that uses something called applique that involves more work than just piecing together a quiltso, more time to make it, meaning more labor involved.

I don't sell my quilts, but I would expect to pay something like $350 for a twin-sized version of that owl quilt, based on materials cost and how long I think it might take to make, and that is on the absolute low end.

Jocelyn

« Reply #308 on: July 05, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »
Lilacgirl,
It's the details that cost. It's also the details that make it special.
First, you need to find a quilter who has a sewing machine that will do embroidery. Not all of us have them. They're computerized, and the machine embroiders a multi-colored picture. I don't have an embroidery machine, but I'd guess that the more colors in the design, the more a person would charge for the design, because she has to do more work in changing colors and making sure the picture lines up right to add the next colors. But you might get lucky with finding someone who is very skilled and doesn't charge extra for it. :)
The pictures on the page I looked at range from some very easy ones, to some more complex ones. The alternating 6" squares would be cheaper than anything using small pieces. Small pieces take longer to cut out, longer to sew back together, and there's more fabric wasted in seam allowances. I'm working on a quilt using some 6" blocks, and I was astounded at how quickly it went together.
Then, there's the quilting. If you're working with someone who has a longarm quilting machine, she will be able to do this faster than someone who quilts on a regular sewing machine. However, that varies, with the skill a quilter has using the machines! So you might find someone who is really skilled with a standard sewing machine, as opposed to someone who just bought her longarm and is still learning how to use it. Then there are people like me, who hire quilters to machine quilt for them! So don't assume that because someone knows how to piece a top, she'll be able to piece a quilt AND finish it for you. :)

I'd recommend that you attend quilt shows and craft shows, looking for something you like, and then ask the maker if she takes commissions. Or check for a local quilt guild, go to a meeting, and ask. Hunt quilt pictures on the Internet, and take a folder of ideas with you, like you'd do if you were going to a new hair stylist. Ask what sorts of fabrics she wants to use, whether she wants you to buy it, and where she will buy it. There are Internet stores like Hancocks of Paducah that sell top-quality quilting fabric for less. Many of us will not agree to work on cheap fabric because we know it won't hold up long-term, especially for a kid's quilt which is going to get wallowed around upon and spilled on and washed more often than an adult's quilt.

Quilters love the idea of making quilts accessible to the next generation. :) I don't do quilting for hire, but I'll bet there's someone out there who will be charmed with the idea of making quilts for your kids, and who will help you work out a way to get it done.

+4

magicdomino

« Reply #309 on: July 05, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »

I did not end up leaving it and it still sits,rolled up in a tube because I won't risk it again. Someday I will have to take a course in framing and matting. :(
Surely there are other places that do framing than that one store?

Don't be afraid to check professional  framing shops.  I've noticed that Michael's (and probably A.C. Moore) have very high regular prices to compensate for the frequent 50% off coupons.  The little framing shop near my office isn't cheap, but it isn't much more than Michael's, and the work is done in house rather than shipped off.   

Raina

« Reply #310 on: July 05, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »
Thank you for this thread! It makes me feel not so alone :)

I've always been a pretty good baker and I regularly make goods at home for DH and myself to enjoy.  I've also recently learned to quilt, having wanted to for years and finally got my first sewing machine in January.  Somehow, I got it into my head that in addition to a smaller purchased gift for SIL's birthday several months ago, I also wanted to make her a quilt since she's complained of always being cold in her apt, etc.  Plus I'm new to this craft and wanted to practice, and it gave me an excuse to buy more fabric  >:D

After spending more than $80 on materials (normal bday budget is $20, which SIL set the rule for) and 30 hours piecing and quilting, it was complete and DH and I both thought it was great.  I'm not invited to their family time on the weekends so sent DH with the gifts for her and this is what he reported back to me:

SIL: (opening gifts) Oh... Is this a quilt? Did Raina make this?
DH: She sure did! We thought you could use it for the couch or something since you said you're always cold.
SIL: Well... It's very well coordinated...
DH: She spent weeks making it and designing it.
SIL: Where's my birthday cake? Did Raina make one for me?
DH: No, she didn't have time because she spent so much time on the quilt.
SIL: But I already told my co-workers that I'd share my cake with them!!

kckgirl

« Reply #311 on: July 05, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
I think that's the last cake or quilt I'd make for that SIL.
Maryland

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #312 on: July 05, 2013, 02:31:23 PM »
Did DH take the quilt back?

And yea, she wouldn't be getting squat from me ever again.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #313 on: July 05, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
Thank you for this thread! It makes me feel not so alone :)

I've always been a pretty good baker and I regularly make goods at home for DH and myself to enjoy.  I've also recently learned to quilt, having wanted to for years and finally got my first sewing machine in January.  Somehow, I got it into my head that in addition to a smaller purchased gift for SIL's birthday several months ago, I also wanted to make her a quilt since she's complained of always being cold in her apt, etc.  Plus I'm new to this craft and wanted to practice, and it gave me an excuse to buy more fabric  >:D

After spending more than $80 on materials (normal bday budget is $20, which SIL set the rule for) and 30 hours piecing and quilting, it was complete and DH and I both thought it was great. I'm not invited to their family time on the weekends so sent DH with the gifts for her and this is what he reported back to me:

SIL: (opening gifts) Oh... Is this a quilt? Did Raina make this?
DH: She sure did! We thought you could use it for the couch or something since you said you're always cold.
SIL: Well... It's very well coordinated...
DH: She spent weeks making it and designing it.
SIL: Where's my birthday cake? Did Raina make one for me?
DH: No, she didn't have time because she spent so much time on the quilt.
SIL: But I already told my co-workers that I'd share my cake with them!!

Im getting hung up on why you would make someone who has events that you're not allowed to attend a quilt.

But after that conversation, I certainly wouldn't be baking, sewing, or buying for her ever again.

Girlie

« Reply #314 on: July 05, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
Im getting hung up on why you would make someone who has events that you're not allowed to attend a quilt.

But after that conversation, I certainly wouldn't be baking, sewing, or buying for her ever again.

I was thinking the exact same thing.