Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 221479 times)

cwm

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #345 on: July 17, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
We just had a houseguest who told me his favourite "it's not like it's work" story:

Stan is a sailor, and has owned a few sailboats over the years.  A boat or two ago he had a "girlfriend" who asked to go sailing with him. Maybe even the whole weekend. He agreed, and spent a good bit of time getting the boat ready. She called a little later and said she was so excited, she told a couple of friends about the sailing trip and she was sure he love to meet them! They'd do an afternoon to dinner cruise, then drop them off and could continue on. Okay not what he was expecting, but he could deal.

Then she called and said they'd been talking and they'd love to spend the night on a sailboat! Stan's a chill guy, but not that chill. He suggested they take a day sail first, and see how it goes.

She didn't pass on the message. She arrived at the dock with her friends and all their luggage.

It was a 22 foot sailboat with no head. The "guests" were NOT happy. It didn't end well.

Am I evil thinking the GF and her friends thought Stan would do all the work, and they could just enjoy the sailing at their leisure.  hehehe

Yeah, I've been on a sailboat precisely once. I won't say never again, but I will say I'll be VERY careful who I go with and the size of the boat. I got a good sized goose egg on my head because my uncle forgot to warn me to duck.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #346 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
One of my dear friends and his wife are expecting their first child. I am so excited about making the cake for the work shower we are going to have for them. It is because he is one of the humblest people I know and would never expect anything that I feel great about doing it.

cwm

« Reply #347 on: July 17, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »
One of the girls in another department makes decorated cakes on the side, for fun. She does make money off of it. Sometimes she'll bring in cake pops or other fun things for fundraisers, sometimes she'll bring them in for the heck of it to share with us.

Co workers have asked her a sum total of one time for her to bring something to contribute to something. She declined politely and when she was pressed she told them that she'd bring things in when she felt like it, unless they wanted to place an order, in which case her prices were $XX.XX per item. Nobody has asked her since, and she's kept bringing them from time to time.

I'm glad she wasn't put off of bringing them in at all, they're delicious, and I don't even mind tossing a dollar or two in her direction when I have her treats. Technically she doesn't sell them at work, but I told her that I feel better having paid even a nominal amount so I don't feel like I'm taking advantage of her. Also, to keep me from pigging out on them, which makes me feel better. And she graciously accepted.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #348 on: July 17, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
My husband has a 4lb piece of pork belly currently curing in our refrigerator, which he will smoke over hardwood on Friday evening. We have two friends who are being gifted 8 oz of finished bacon each. One owns the barbecue restaurant we frequent near our son's camp and the other just had a birthday. So much effort, time, love and space go into making each batch of bacon that it is a joy, not a chore. If someone demanded he make bacon for them, it would remove the joy from the process.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #349 on: July 17, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »
I feel bad about this one. I work in an area with a large mix of German, Czech/Bohemian, and Hispanic largely from Mexico. The campus will often provide breakfast on the Teacher workdays/campus staff development days. It tends to switch between breakfast tacos (different combos of eggs, potatoes, cheese), Kolaches (Fruit and sausage/cheese kinds), and tamales.

On days it was tamales and breakfast tacos - 1st Principal would announce that an aide or 2 of the aides were making them.  One day a couple of other teachers walked in my room with this stricken look. They had overheard the principal ordering the aide to make tamales. The aide had nicely tried to tell Principal how expensive that is (and labor intensive). We had just assumed that the school was paying for the food.  I said get an envelope. We took up a collection from the staff we trusted to not go running to the principal.

It was the beginning of the end. HR started an investigation.  She was breaking a bunch of rules. Ended up transfered.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

deadbody

« Reply #350 on: July 17, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
My husband has a 4lb piece of pork belly currently curing in our refrigerator, which he will smoke over hardwood on Friday evening. We have two friends who are being gifted 8 oz of finished bacon each. One owns the barbecue restaurant we frequent near our son's camp and the other just had a birthday. So much effort, time, love and space go into making each batch of bacon that it is a joy, not a chore. If someone demanded he make bacon for them, it would remove the joy from the process.

How do I become your friend?  I'm a nice guy, I'm sure one of my children would get along well with your son.  I like to share good beer.  A friend who makes their own bacon is a friend I must have :)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #351 on: July 17, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
Someone asked me to hand make a rather labor intensive item.  I might have done it for this individual, as they did ask nicely and did offer to pay at least materials, if not for these two little itty bitty things.  #1 I haven't learned this particular skill/craft #2 they need it in two weeks.  There is no way I'd be comfortable guaranteeing something in that time frame.  8-12 weeks would have given me time to possibly pick up craft and maybe be comfortable enough to take on a commission.

I did give them the contact info of someone that I knew could do what they were asking in the time they needed, but she charges big $$$ (and I don't blame her a bit, she does wonderful work).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #352 on: July 17, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »
Teehee, Deadbody! What is really amusing is the number of our friends who want to come over once the bacon is ready. It is a truly lovely product.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #353 on: July 17, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »
This is almost one for the household disasters thread.

I finished the baby blanket I mentioned earlier, and (carefully following the washing instructions) I washed* it.  The darn thing came out big enough to cover a double bed!   :o  I ended up putting it in the clothes dryer for a few minutes (against the washing instructions...) to get it back to size.

I later called the young lady that commissioned it, and warned her. 

Note to self (and others) - machine washable baby wool isn't.

* I washed it because my animals like to sit on my lap when I'm crocheting**, and I'm sure she doesn't want dog and cat cooties on her blanket.

** Getting the wool out is like a secret signal, I swear.  I can't start without at least one turning up in the first two minutes, and she is like the Immovable Object, despite being only 7kg, when she wants to be.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #354 on: July 17, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »
Did you use fabric softener? That is usually the culprit.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #355 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:49 AM »
No, no fabric softener.  And I've used that wool cycle many times before with no problems.

Oh well, at least it went back to the original size!

BarensMom

« Reply #356 on: July 18, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
The above brought up a painful, although off-topic, memory:

I had just finished knitting a sweater vest.  I tried it on for DH and he said, "Nice, but it's a little big."  So I thought, hey, I'll use the hand-wash cycle on my machine.  I found out that the hand-wash cycle does not equal hand-washing when my sweater vest turned into a mass of green shredded and felted wool.  $100+ and two months of labor shot to heck, and I had to blow-dry and vacuum my washing machine to get out the remnants.

Back on topic:

The other day, my instructor and I were knitting at Starbucks.  A woman comes up to us and starts asking if we could "fix" a hole and ripped seam in her sweater.  My instructor told her to use a needle and matching yarn.  "Oh no, I want you to do it,"  woman replied.  "Sorry, I have too much to do as is," instructor responded.  "I'm just learning," I said.  She stood there a minute, then huffed herself off.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #357 on: July 18, 2013, 12:41:24 PM »

Thank you. I just drooled liberally all over my keyboard!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #358 on: July 18, 2013, 12:44:12 PM »
I feel bad about this one. I work in an area with a large mix of German, Czech/Bohemian, and Hispanic largely from Mexico. The campus will often provide breakfast on the Teacher workdays/campus staff development days. It tends to switch between breakfast tacos (different combos of eggs, potatoes, cheese), Kolaches (Fruit and sausage/cheese kinds), and tamales.

On days it was tamales and breakfast tacos - 1st Principal would announce that an aide or 2 of the aides were making them.  One day a couple of other teachers walked in my room with this stricken look. They had overheard the principal ordering the aide to make tamales. The aide had nicely tried to tell Principal how expensive that is (and labor intensive). We had just assumed that the school was paying for the food.  I said get an envelope. We took up a collection from the staff we trusted to not go running to the principal.

It was the beginning of the end. HR started an investigation.  She was breaking a bunch of rules. Ended up transfered.

That's horrible! I would have done the same thing; collected $$ and given it to them.  Wow. And glad the principal got hers too!  Never ceases to amaze me what some people thnk they are entitled to.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #359 on: July 19, 2013, 11:13:18 AM »

Thank you. I just drooled liberally all over my keyboard!

Would you be willing to trade 8 oz of home cured bacon for several large bottles of good home-made IPA?