Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 174607 times)

laud_shy_girl

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #390 on: July 27, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »
Upon reading this thread, I now find I want to know how to make my own chocolate and bacon.

Someone posted something about sugarcraft and chocolate work.  I just want to know -- how did you go about learning it?  I live near the Bay area, and I've been searching for classes to learn it for months now.  I really haven't had much luck.  I've been fascinated with "Kings of Pastry" for awhile now, but there's no way I'm ever going to be able to spend the time or money to go to pastry school since it would just be for fun.

Yea I have to agree. I said a few posts back about giving quilting a go. I looked for classes but there is zip in my area. I am resorting to u tube tutorials. I must admit I am jealous as there seems to be less of a culture of craftiness in the uk.  at least in comparison to the US, ymmv.

The thing I would love to try is Glass blowing. Its got to be one of my top 5 things I want to try.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #391 on: July 27, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »
Upon reading this thread, I now find I want to know how to make my own chocolate and bacon.

Someone posted something about sugarcraft and chocolate work.  I just want to know -- how did you go about learning it?  I live near the Bay area, and I've been searching for classes to learn it for months now.  I really haven't had much luck.  I've been fascinated with "Kings of Pastry" for awhile now, but there's no way I'm ever going to be able to spend the time or money to go to pastry school since it would just be for fun.

SoCalVal, are there any culinary schools near you?  You may want to call and see if you can take private lessons with an instructor or senior student. Chocolate classes should be easier to find than sugarcraft classes.  If I lived in the area, I'd give you my contact info.
If you have a community college near you, they may also have classes, either credit or non-credit. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Minmom3

« Reply #392 on: July 27, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »

Yea I have to agree. I said a few posts back about giving quilting a go. I looked for classes but there is zip in my area. I am resorting to u tube tutorials. I must admit I am jealous as there seems to be less of a culture of craftiness in the uk.  at least in comparison to the US, ymmv.

The thing I would love to try is Glass blowing. Its got to be one of my top 5 things I want to try.

Have you looked in your local library?  I learned a TON from library books.  Mostly that there were things I had NO desire to try, or color combos, and such.  But when you get 6 library books on a topic out at the same time, you can read them all, and cherry pick what looks appetizing to you and give it a whirl.  My problem with most of the videos on line is that the quality is the pits, they're hard to SEE, and they tend to be very single topic, which is great for some stuff but less great for others.  I've actually only taken one and a half classes in my life.  I'd take more, but they don't usually work with my work schedule.  Books have been my great friends through all of this.  Oh, and joining a quilting society!  Not that they've had classes I've taken, but that the show and tell portions can be highly interesting, and the speaker du jour is usually extremely good and informative.  At least, this was so in the group I used to belong to.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

SoCalVal

« Reply #393 on: July 28, 2013, 05:57:34 AM »

SoCalVal, are there any culinary schools near you?  You may want to call and see if you can take private lessons with an instructor or senior student. Chocolate classes should be easier to find than sugarcraft classes.  If I lived in the area, I'd give you my contact info.

If you have a community college near you, they may also have classes, either credit or non-credit.

There are at least two culinary schools near me, and one culinary program at one of the community colleges (all are professional programs).  I've been taking classes here and there at the community college over the past seven years, but, for pastry work, that program does not offer anything past fancy cakes and some chocolate work (so, nothing like sugarcraft or working with modeling chocolate).  Don't get me wrong; I LOVE that program but really want to learn the more artsy stuff (blown sugar, pulling sugar and figure modeling, to name a few).  I think both of the culinary schools require an official chat with whomever makes the big push to enroll students; I can't get information on what they have to offer (even if they offer stand-alone courses) without having to give them all my info to contact me (which I don't want to do as this is just a hobby for me).

For the past year or so, I've been looking into taking glass-blowing classes at some studios and, maybe, some painting and sculpting classes at a JC so I could at least get the art part down, never mind figuring out how to work with edible mediums.

What I've found in the Bay area hasn't really been what I want to learn.  For example, when I do a google search, the courses I find offered are on things I'm not about to pay these little schools to learn -- usually a lot of money for stuff I'd learn at the JC's program here (but cheaper and more extensively here).  In 2012, someone opened a sugarcraft school in Pennsylvania.  That school offers exactly what I've been seeking, but I have not yet found those classes here -- classes like airbrushing, animal & figure modeling, blown & pulled sugar and mold-making.

My wonderful husband, always encouraging, suggested sending me to take classes there, but I vetoed that as the classes are really expensive ($975 each), which we really can't afford.

I'm going to keep looking, though.  If someone could open a sugarcraft school out there, then I figure it's just a matter of time before someone opens a sugarcraft school out here (there was a cake camp in Henderson last weekend that offered some promising classes, but it was too far away for me to try to get to it this year).

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #394 on: July 28, 2013, 09:42:56 AM »
Modeling chocolate is like clay.  So while edible, it's not really palatable.  The real difference between the two is that one will mold, and the other will not.  I have no artistic skill so I never went anywhere with it.  However, I am very skilled in tempering and making chocolates.

Pulled sugar is an art form.  I learned the basics in culinary school and then took classes/workshops at various domestic and international conferences.  However, we didn't do pulled sugar work until we were in our advanced classes almost ready to graduate.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #395 on: July 28, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
... classes like airbrushing, animal & figure modeling, blown & pulled sugar and mold-making.

Most of those (except the sugar) are skills that are independent of the medium. For stuff like that, I'd go looking at general art classes. Although the medium makes a little bit of a difference, modeling an animal is pretty much the same whether you're using chocolate or clay. Mold-making is mold-making. If you've got those skills in one medium, then it's not so hard to transfer to another.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #396 on: July 28, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »

I know too, and think they are nationwide, Viking (stove maker) also offers classes. might be worth looking into that as well.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #397 on: July 28, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »

I know too, and think they are nationwide, Viking (stove maker) also offers classes. might be worth looking into that as well.

Oh meant to tell you to also look up candy making.  Pulling sugar starts with learning how to cook sugar to different temperatures.  Candy Making classes are a good introduction to working with sugar

I found:
Spun Sugar in Berkely
Baking Arts in San Francisco
Bonbini in San Francisco.  They may do a specialty class if you ask
San Fran Cooking School:

christmascarol

« Reply #398 on: July 29, 2013, 03:47:00 AM »
A woman I knew sent me a picture of some `cupcakes´ she wanted for Christmas presents.  About three weeks before Christmas.

Her: I know it's a bit of a cheek, but could you make me some of these?

Me: Sorry, they're crocheted.  I knit, I can't crochet.

Her: Could you learn?

CakeEater

« Reply #399 on: July 29, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
Modeling chocolate is like clay.  So while edible, it's not really palatable.  The real difference between the two is that one will mold, and the other will not.  I have no artistic skill so I never went anywhere with it.  However, I am very skilled in tempering and making chocolates.

Wow - you and I are eating two different kinds of modelling chocolate - I think it tastes amazing! I'd eat it by the block if it was healthy too.

suzieQ

« Reply #400 on: July 29, 2013, 09:27:49 AM »

Wow - you and I are eating two different kinds of modelling chocolate - I think it tastes amazing! I'd eat it by the block if it was healthy too.

It tastes like tootsie rolls to me. We used it to make trees on my DD's wedding cake. They held up the top layer. Let me see if I can manage to post a pic.

Here is where we "carved her and her DH's initials"

And here are a few sugarpaste flowers I did on cupcakes thrown in for good measure :)
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #401 on: July 29, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »
Those flowers look like they could go on Sunday Sweets on CakeWrecks, where she shows off the amazing professional cakes. 
Too pretty to eat!  Wow!
what a lovely wedding, it looks like it was. 
Wow.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #402 on: July 29, 2013, 10:36:33 AM »
Those flowers look like they could go on Sunday Sweets on CakeWrecks, where she shows off the amazing professional cakes. 
Too pretty to eat!  Wow!
what a lovely wedding, it looks like it was. 
Wow.

Agreed.  That cake could easily fit into Sunday Sweets.  It's beautiful! 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #403 on: July 29, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »
I had someone ask me to do "rush job" for them.  When I asked for payment, they didn't understand, until I put it into plain speech.

Something along the lines of - when I get home from work, someone has to clean house, cook dinner, wash the dishes, do laundry, and help the kids with their homework - since DH is on the other side of the continent (military "temporary duty"), that means either I do it or I pay someone to do it.  Are you going to do it or are you going to pay me enough to pay for it to be done for me?  Plus something for it to be worth me giving up the forty minutes or so of free time AFTER the kids go to bed when I would be watching tv, reading, or whatever I wanted to do instead of doing YOUR project.

They still didn't quite get it - but decided that either I really was that unreasonable about giving up "just a little bit of time" or that it might end up costing THEM their free time AND some cash while they cleaned my house, did a load of laundry, cooked & served dinner, then cleaned up afterward, before helping the kids with their homework, etc.

And I got a lot fewer comments from coworkers about me sewing or embroidering some "little thing" for them....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #404 on: July 29, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »

That was my personal opinion.  I just don't really like the taste or the texture.  It may also have something to do with the fact that someones hands have been all over it to manipulate it :)