News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 07:18:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 626761 times)

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #390 on: July 28, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »
... classes like airbrushing, animal & figure modeling, blown & pulled sugar and mold-making.

Most of those (except the sugar) are skills that are independent of the medium. For stuff like that, I'd go looking at general art classes. Although the medium makes a little bit of a difference, modeling an animal is pretty much the same whether you're using chocolate or clay. Mold-making is mold-making. If you've got those skills in one medium, then it's not so hard to transfer to another.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #391 on: July 28, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
Upon reading this thread, I now find I want to know how to make my own chocolate and bacon.

Someone posted something about sugarcraft and chocolate work.  I just want to know -- how did you go about learning it?  I live near the Bay area, and I've been searching for classes to learn it for months now.  I really haven't had much luck.  I've been fascinated with "Kings of Pastry" for awhile now, but there's no way I'm ever going to be able to spend the time or money to go to pastry school since it would just be for fun.

SoCalVal, are there any culinary schools near you?  You may want to call and see if you can take private lessons with an instructor or senior student. Chocolate classes should be easier to find than sugarcraft classes.  If I lived in the area, I'd give you my contact info.

I know too, and think they are nationwide, Viking (stove maker) also offers classes. might be worth looking into that as well.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #392 on: July 28, 2013, 03:46:12 PM »
Upon reading this thread, I now find I want to know how to make my own chocolate and bacon.

Someone posted something about sugarcraft and chocolate work.  I just want to know -- how did you go about learning it?  I live near the Bay area, and I've been searching for classes to learn it for months now.  I really haven't had much luck.  I've been fascinated with "Kings of Pastry" for awhile now, but there's no way I'm ever going to be able to spend the time or money to go to pastry school since it would just be for fun.

SoCalVal, are there any culinary schools near you?  You may want to call and see if you can take private lessons with an instructor or senior student. Chocolate classes should be easier to find than sugarcraft classes.  If I lived in the area, I'd give you my contact info.

I know too, and think they are nationwide, Viking (stove maker) also offers classes. might be worth looking into that as well.

Oh meant to tell you to also look up candy making.  Pulling sugar starts with learning how to cook sugar to different temperatures.  Candy Making classes are a good introduction to working with sugar

I found:
Spun Sugar in Berkely
Baking Arts in San Francisco
Bonbini in San Francisco.  They may do a specialty class if you ask
San Fran Cooking School:

christmascarol

« Reply #393 on: July 29, 2013, 02:47:00 AM »
A woman I knew sent me a picture of some `cupcakes´ she wanted for Christmas presents.  About three weeks before Christmas.

Her: I know it's a bit of a cheek, but could you make me some of these?

Me: Sorry, they're crocheted.  I knit, I can't crochet.

Her: Could you learn?

CakeEater

« Reply #394 on: July 29, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »
Modeling chocolate is like clay.  So while edible, it's not really palatable.  The real difference between the two is that one will mold, and the other will not.  I have no artistic skill so I never went anywhere with it.  However, I am very skilled in tempering and making chocolates.

Wow - you and I are eating two different kinds of modelling chocolate - I think it tastes amazing! I'd eat it by the block if it was healthy too.

suzieQ

« Reply #395 on: July 29, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »
Modeling chocolate is like clay.  So while edible, it's not really palatable.  The real difference between the two is that one will mold, and the other will not.  I have no artistic skill so I never went anywhere with it.  However, I am very skilled in tempering and making chocolates.

Wow - you and I are eating two different kinds of modelling chocolate - I think it tastes amazing! I'd eat it by the block if it was healthy too.

It tastes like tootsie rolls to me. We used it to make trees on my DD's wedding cake. They held up the top layer. Let me see if I can manage to post a pic.

Here is where we "carved her and her DH's initials"

And here are a few sugarpaste flowers I did on cupcakes thrown in for good measure :)

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #396 on: July 29, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
Those flowers look like they could go on Sunday Sweets on CakeWrecks, where she shows off the amazing professional cakes. 
Too pretty to eat!  Wow!
what a lovely wedding, it looks like it was. 
Wow.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Thipu1

« Reply #397 on: July 29, 2013, 09:36:33 AM »
Those flowers look like they could go on Sunday Sweets on CakeWrecks, where she shows off the amazing professional cakes. 
Too pretty to eat!  Wow!
what a lovely wedding, it looks like it was. 
Wow.

Agreed.  That cake could easily fit into Sunday Sweets.  It's beautiful! 

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #398 on: July 29, 2013, 09:48:50 AM »
I had someone ask me to do "rush job" for them.  When I asked for payment, they didn't understand, until I put it into plain speech.

Something along the lines of - when I get home from work, someone has to clean house, cook dinner, wash the dishes, do laundry, and help the kids with their homework - since DH is on the other side of the continent (military "temporary duty"), that means either I do it or I pay someone to do it.  Are you going to do it or are you going to pay me enough to pay for it to be done for me?  Plus something for it to be worth me giving up the forty minutes or so of free time AFTER the kids go to bed when I would be watching tv, reading, or whatever I wanted to do instead of doing YOUR project.

They still didn't quite get it - but decided that either I really was that unreasonable about giving up "just a little bit of time" or that it might end up costing THEM their free time AND some cash while they cleaned my house, did a load of laundry, cooked & served dinner, then cleaned up afterward, before helping the kids with their homework, etc.

And I got a lot fewer comments from coworkers about me sewing or embroidering some "little thing" for them....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

PastryGoddess

« Reply #399 on: July 29, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »

That was my personal opinion.  I just don't really like the taste or the texture.  It may also have something to do with the fact that someones hands have been all over it to manipulate it :)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #400 on: July 29, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »
A very nice update on the baby blanket I did on commission.

I went into the craft shop on Saturday to pick up the payment, which was in an envelope.  I didn't actually open it until Monday morning.  In it was $50, rather than the $30 agreed upon.

So I rang the young lady last night to let her know she'd overpaid me.  Nope, she intended to leave that much, she loved the blanket, she thought I undervalued my work, and she was more than happy to pay the extra.

It's nice to be appreciated!   ;D

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

gmatoy

« Reply #401 on: July 29, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »
A very nice update on the baby blanket I did on commission.

I went into the craft shop on Saturday to pick up the payment, which was in an envelope.  I didn't actually open it until Monday morning.  In it was $50, rather than the $30 agreed upon.

So I rang the young lady last night to let her know she'd overpaid me.  Nope, she intended to leave that much, she loved the blanket, she thought I undervalued my work, and she was more than happy to pay the extra.

I think she is smart! If she ever needs another one, you will be more likely to do it for her, right?

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #402 on: July 29, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
Heck yeah!   ;D

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #403 on: July 30, 2013, 04:31:40 AM »
((snippage))

Yay! It is indeed nice! You must have done a beautiful job. :D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Shea

« Reply #404 on: July 30, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »
All these stories are just crazy! So many entitled people in the world...

I quilt by hand, both piecing and quilting, and sometimes make my own patterns. A lap-size quilt takes 4-6 months to complete, a queen-size quilt at least a year. Somehow, I've never had anyone make a truly crazy request of me, although I do give the quilts as gifts sometimes. The closest I've come was when my BF's mother said to him how lovely my quilts were, and maybe I'd make one for her sometime. BF clued her in to exactly how much work goes into them, which greatly surprised his mother since she'd had no idea. I was not party to this conversation, but BF's mother is lovely, so perhaps someday I will make her a quilt ;).

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.