Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 175717 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #405 on: July 29, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »
A very nice update on the baby blanket I did on commission.

I went into the craft shop on Saturday to pick up the payment, which was in an envelope.  I didn't actually open it until Monday morning.  In it was $50, rather than the $30 agreed upon.

So I rang the young lady last night to let her know she'd overpaid me.  Nope, she intended to leave that much, she loved the blanket, she thought I undervalued my work, and she was more than happy to pay the extra.

It's nice to be appreciated!   ;D

gmatoy

« Reply #406 on: July 29, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »
A very nice update on the baby blanket I did on commission.

I went into the craft shop on Saturday to pick up the payment, which was in an envelope.  I didn't actually open it until Monday morning.  In it was $50, rather than the $30 agreed upon.

So I rang the young lady last night to let her know she'd overpaid me.  Nope, she intended to leave that much, she loved the blanket, she thought I undervalued my work, and she was more than happy to pay the extra.

I think she is smart! If she ever needs another one, you will be more likely to do it for her, right?

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #407 on: July 29, 2013, 11:56:53 PM »
Heck yeah!   ;D

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2013, 05:31:40 AM »
((snippage))

Yay! It is indeed nice! You must have done a beautiful job. :D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Shea

« Reply #409 on: July 30, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »
All these stories are just crazy! So many entitled people in the world...

I quilt by hand, both piecing and quilting, and sometimes make my own patterns. A lap-size quilt takes 4-6 months to complete, a queen-size quilt at least a year. Somehow, I've never had anyone make a truly crazy request of me, although I do give the quilts as gifts sometimes. The closest I've come was when my BF's mother said to him how lovely my quilts were, and maybe I'd make one for her sometime. BF clued her in to exactly how much work goes into them, which greatly surprised his mother since she'd had no idea. I was not party to this conversation, but BF's mother is lovely, so perhaps someday I will make her a quilt ;).

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2013, 09:19:36 PM »
All these stories are just crazy! So many entitled people in the world...

I quilt by hand, both piecing and quilting, and sometimes make my own patterns. A lap-size quilt takes 4-6 months to complete, a queen-size quilt at least a year. Somehow, I've never had anyone make a truly crazy request of me, although I do give the quilts as gifts sometimes. The closest I've come was when my BF's mother said to him how lovely my quilts were, and maybe I'd make one for her sometime. BF clued her in to exactly how much work goes into them, which greatly surprised his mother since she'd had no idea. I was not party to this conversation, but BF's mother is lovely, so perhaps someday I will make her a quilt ;).

Major P.R. points!!

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #411 on: August 01, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »
Got one today. So I am knitting a pair of socks for my Mom. (She buys double yarn so I can make some for myself. All is cool there) Well one of DH's friends, Tommy, was over and admiring the socks. He wanted me to make some socks for his wife. I stated a price that I was twice the cost of material.(I usually charge 3X for most hand made stuff) He figured that I could use my stash and make some. Using yarn that is saved for a special project. He was also surprised at the time it takes to make them. *sigh* He at least took what I had to say with some thought. He will consider it and perhaps for Christmas will order a pair at good price. And he even asked how long before Christmas should he order them. I was proud to be able to educate some one before they became a serious mooch.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #412 on: August 03, 2013, 09:56:06 PM »
My husband is a carpenter by profession.  He had built many lovely pieces over the years for our home. He occasionally makes smaller items, like frames, as gifts when he had the time.  Honestly, he doesn't have a lot of time these past few years.  His parents asked him last winter if he'd make a set of bunk beds for the grandkids "since he likes to build things".  Ummmm... Any idea of the sheer amount of time and expense?  Nope.  It took 2 months to build and took over the garage at the coldest part of the year, making parking the car inside problematic.  It wasn't a fun project,  it was a chore that took every spare moment from himself, me and our daughter to get it done and out of the garage.

They were very appreciative but even after he told them what it would have cost  if he had charged them they still didn't really get it.  We made it a Christsmas gift.

His mom tries to pull the "but you like to build/ work with wood" card about once a year but is usually shut down. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:59:52 PM by Idlewildstudios »

TeamBhakta

« Reply #413 on: August 04, 2013, 11:50:06 PM »
I saw an article about a custom Golden Girls dollhouse today. This set of comments made me think of this thread:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/artist-53/golden-girls-dollhouse_n_3695796_274038473.html

SoCalVal

« Reply #414 on: August 13, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
Upon reading this thread, I now find I want to know how to make my own chocolate and bacon.

Someone posted something about sugarcraft and chocolate work.  I just want to know -- how did you go about learning it?  I live near the Bay area, and I've been searching for classes to learn it for months now.  I really haven't had much luck.  I've been fascinated with "Kings of Pastry" for awhile now, but there's no way I'm ever going to be able to spend the time or money to go to pastry school since it would just be for fun.

SoCalVal, are there any culinary schools near you?  You may want to call and see if you can take private lessons with an instructor or senior student. Chocolate classes should be easier to find than sugarcraft classes.  If I lived in the area, I'd give you my contact info.

I know too, and think they are nationwide, Viking (stove maker) also offers classes. might be worth looking into that as well.

Oh meant to tell you to also look up candy making.  Pulling sugar starts with learning how to cook sugar to different temperatures.  Candy Making classes are a good introduction to working with sugar

I found:
Spun Sugar in Berkely
Baking Arts in San Francisco
Bonbini in San Francisco.  They may do a specialty class if you ask
San Fran Cooking School:

Ooo!  Just saw your post!  Thank you!  Will look into these soon!  ;D

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #415 on: September 01, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »
*snickering madly* http://cheezburger.com/7765875968

Picture is safe, a couple of the comments are not, though there's no actual bad words involved... just implications. :P
"Set aphasia to stun!"

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #416 on: September 04, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »
I'm not sure if this counts, but I'll just stick it here because it involves crafting.  I've never been able to do cross stitch, but then again I never really tried all that hard.  A few days ago, I decided to really give it a go, and I got a small counted cross stitch pattern to try.  It took me about an hour and a half to figure it out, but it's actually going pretty fast now, and I should be able to finish it within a week.

Anyway, on to my point.  I took "work-in-progress" picture and posted it on FB, mostly because I'm sort of proud of myself for finally getting the hang of it.  Later, when I logged on, I saw that someone had left a comment saying, "That can be my Christmas present."  And they weren't kidding.  :o  Even disregarding that, this is my first (successful) cross stitch project, and it's going right on my wall.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #417 on: September 04, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
I play an egg finding game that is run off facebook. When people who chat, and I am one, find the new egg, we tell each other on chat. I posted that I had found one of the new eggs and someone immediately replied that I could send it to them. Um, no.

A co-worker and his wife are expecting and I offered to make the cake for the work shower to save other people $$$ and because I know the cake will come out well. Today, co-worker's assistant was surprised when I said I would make the cake and cupcakes and bring everything to serve them, but I was not bringing anything else. It will cost me at least $30 in supplies, and I do not expect to be reimbursed. Why would I be expected to provide drinks/punch, cups and serving equipment?

NyaChan

« Reply #418 on: September 04, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
I've been cross stitching as well, and my sister has been making small noises of how I should make her something for a while now.  I agree because really, how many of these things will I want for myself right?  Then when we start looking at patterns, I realize she has NO idea how much work goes into certain techniques and I don't want to spend the next year working on this.  I talked her down to a basic heart tree and a quote underneath and reminded her that this was a hobby, so no ETA whatsoever!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #419 on: September 04, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »

A co-worker and his wife are expecting and I offered to make the cake for the work shower to save other people $$$ and because I know the cake will come out well. Today, co-worker's assistant was surprised when I said I would make the cake and cupcakes and bring everything to serve them, but I was not bringing anything else. It will cost me at least $30 in supplies, and I do not expect to be reimbursed. Why would I be expected to provide drinks/punch, cups and serving equipment?
Amazing, isn't it? But don't you KNOW, that other stuff doens't cost that much.  so why are you being so darn selfish!!! >:D