News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 19, 2017, 08:33:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 574174 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #435 on: September 11, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
Except she still wants to be able to wear it longer for the Ren Faire every year. And she wants a zipper in it. And she wants the front shorter than the back. And she wants to get rid of the drawstring along the top. But she still wants it to be there for the Ren Faire.

Does she also want a golden goose and a hompa-lompa?  :o

Wouldn't that be a Golden Ticket and an oompa-loompa?  Or is it not a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory reference?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Carotte

« Reply #436 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
Except she still wants to be able to wear it longer for the Ren Faire every year. And she wants a zipper in it. And she wants the front shorter than the back. And she wants to get rid of the drawstring along the top. But she still wants it to be there for the Ren Faire.

Wouldn't that be a Golden Ticket and an oompa-loompa?  Or is it not a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory reference?

Yeah it was, I just blanked on how to spell Oompa-Loompa (and forgot to check).
But Veruca already had the golden ticket, didn't she threw a fit in the golden egg room and wanted a Golden-egg laying goose too?
I'm talking about the first movie, not the remake, I don't know if it was in that one.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #437 on: September 11, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »
I remember the first one better than the remake...Johnny Depp is awesome - but Wonka going to Charlie's house and the flashback to Wonka's father...did NOT add to the story.  In my opinion.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Hillia

« Reply #438 on: September 11, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »
I remember the first one better than the remake...Johnny Depp is awesome - but Wonka going to Charlie's house and the flashback to Wonka's father...did NOT add to the story.  In my opinion.

I do love Johnny Depp but was not a fan of the remake.  It lost all the joy and wonder of the original, IMO.  Willy Wonka is supremely confident, not afraid and traumatized.

lilfox

« Reply #439 on: September 11, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »
I get hit up all the time for "Can you write my business proposal", "Can you teach me to play an instrument", "I need this tailored, can you do that?". I don't mind doing favors for friends occasionally. And I'm all about trading. For instance, my partner and I get our hair done for free because I helped the woman who cuts our hair with her business proposal and am giving her daughter guitar lessons for free, and my partner built and designed her webpage for free. I mend all of my mechanic's clothes and fixes our cars (everything but oil changes) for free. I love trading. I have a skill, you have a skill, lets work together. But "Do this for free cause you love doing it", nope.

Fixed that for you  ;)  You have a great bartering system there so nothing is "free" exactly, because you get something of value to you in return for the things you do that someone else values.  It's the people who say that last bit, wanting something in exchange for nothing, not even money, that's too much.

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #440 on: September 11, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
Oh my, I loved that Simpsons episode, but associating someone as unpleasant as John with nudity is sickening.

I might send him a blank piece of paper, with a note explaining that that is how much $0 gets him, but honestly I wouldn't want to waste the dollar or whatever on postage for this guy.

A link to a "how to draw stuff" video on youtube would be free, just saying...
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #441 on: September 11, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »

But Veruca already had the golden ticket, didn't she threw a fit in the golden egg room and wanted a Golden-egg laying goose too?
I'm talking about the first movie, not the remake, I don't know if it was in that one.

And here I thought you were referring to the book, which is better than either ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

PastryGoddess

« Reply #442 on: September 12, 2013, 02:27:08 AM »
I have the oompa looma song stuck in my head.

Pen^2

« Reply #443 on: September 12, 2013, 03:47:14 AM »
Hompa-lompa sounds like a Hokkien curry or something that I'd love to try :P

I loved the oompa loompa actor in the newer film (his dead-pan facial expression somehow struck me as hilarious) but otherwise liked the first film with Mr Wonka as all confident and bonkers. Although someone once told me that all the business with his father was in an early plot outline but Roald Dahl scrapped it in favour of what was eventually the published story, so maybe it's not entirely made-up. I still didn't like it, though.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #444 on: September 12, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »
Oh my, I loved that Simpsons episode, but associating someone as unpleasant as John with nudity is sickening.

I might send him a blank piece of paper, with a note explaining that that is how much $0 gets him, but honestly I wouldn't want to waste the dollar or whatever on postage for this guy.

Dang....everything is on youtube!  ;D Thank you for the reminder  :-* 
(I've always wanted to be able to draw something other than stick figure people)

amylouky

« Reply #445 on: September 12, 2013, 09:12:03 AM »

And here I thought you were referring to the book, which is better than either ;)

I always loved the Vermicious Knids. Just the name is awesome.

cwm

« Reply #446 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:36 AM »

Well, she is always after what money she can get. And we do call the Sproglet (her daughter) an Oompa Loompa because she's so small and has the triangle points on her hair, so I'm not really sure...

FauxFoodist

« Reply #447 on: September 12, 2013, 01:54:49 PM »

Dang....everything is on youtube!  ;D Thank you for the reminder  :-* 
(I've always wanted to be able to draw something other than stick figure people)

I say send him an e-mail with the subject line "The drawing you requested" then link to a YouTube video...of Rick Astley (yes, I say, Rick-Roll him, woohoo!  ;)).

z_squared82

« Reply #448 on: September 30, 2013, 08:38:40 AM »
All right, this didn’t happen to me, but I thought it was too funny not to share.

A high school classmate (and FB friend) is a photographer with her husband. A rather good photographer. They have a blog, and when it is updated, the link it always shared on FB. In addition to the requisite weddings, family portrait sessions and seniors (high school), she also posts some family pictures, especially when it’s her children being super cute, like doing yoga with her. Or in their Halloween costumes.

While said friend is not on Pinterest, people “pin” pictures from her blog to Pinterest, so any member can see them.

Said friend has already gotten 5-6 emails from Complete Strangers asking how much she charges for the infant Oompa Loompa costume. When she has never claimed to want to make them. Or sell them. One woman even asked, “How much for three, I’m on a fixed income.” Said friend has started saying, it cost her $8, go be creative, but you’ll never be able to replicate it exactly since she got half the costume at a thrift shop.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #449 on: September 30, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »

A co-worker and his wife are expecting and I offered to make the cake for the work shower to save other people $$$ and because I know the cake will come out well. Today, co-worker's assistant was surprised when I said I would make the cake and cupcakes and bring everything to serve them, but I was not bringing anything else. It will cost me at least $30 in supplies, and I do not expect to be reimbursed. Why would I be expected to provide drinks/punch, cups and serving equipment?

Co-worker's assistant (CWA) just happened to be at my office yesterday along with another member of our department. The other person is a very close friend of mine and I told her how frustrated I am by CWA's indecisiveness and procrastination about this event. The cake and cupcakes will still be the same, but I don't know if this is part of a meeting, a luncheon, or what! My friend offered to bring chips and dip and all the paper products, mainly so I am not asked to do that as well.

CWA is planning to decide this during the staff meeting next week, with the GOH present!

So, I cornered CWA on IM last week and asked her about a theme and if the shower was going to be just cake and punch or more substantial.

Me: Have you decided on a theme for the shower?
CWA: Yes, theme B.
Me: Oh, I thought that was the theme for the shower occurring at their location (the week after ours)?
CWA: It is.
Me: Did you already purchase things that are theme B?
CWA: No, I haven't bought anything yet. (3 weeks out at the time.)
Me: (Thinking, okay, lets do something different! ) I said, doesn't co-worker like this and this as well?
CWA: Yes, he does.
Me: Let's do that theme then.
CWA: Okay, that will be good.

I decided to do cupcakes, as we won't need to cut any cake and I can send some home with the guest of honor. I ordered cupcake toppers to match the theme and decided on flavors for the cupcakes. My friend is picking up plates, napkins, cups and a tablecloth to match the theme as CWA is on leave until the week of the shower.

So, I guess friend and I are hosting?  ::) At least coworker will have a nice baby shower.  :D
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien