Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 247776 times)

amylouky

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #450 on: September 12, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
Except she still wants to be able to wear it longer for the Ren Faire every year. And she wants a zipper in it. And she wants the front shorter than the back. And she wants to get rid of the drawstring along the top. But she still wants it to be there for the Ren Faire.

Does she also want a golden goose and a hompa-lompa?  :o

Wouldn't that be a Golden Ticket and an oompa-loompa?  Or is it not a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory reference?

Yeah it was, I just blanked on how to spell Oompa-Loompa (and forgot to check).
But Veruca already had the golden ticket, didn't she threw a fit in the golden egg room and wanted a Golden-egg laying goose too?
I'm talking about the first movie, not the remake, I don't know if it was in that one.

And here I thought you were referring to the book, which is better than either ;)

I always loved the Vermicious Knids. Just the name is awesome.

cwm

« Reply #451 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »
Except she still wants to be able to wear it longer for the Ren Faire every year. And she wants a zipper in it. And she wants the front shorter than the back. And she wants to get rid of the drawstring along the top. But she still wants it to be there for the Ren Faire.

Does she also want a golden goose and a hompa-lompa?  :o

Well, she is always after what money she can get. And we do call the Sproglet (her daughter) an Oompa Loompa because she's so small and has the triangle points on her hair, so I'm not really sure...

SoCalVal

« Reply #452 on: September 12, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
Oh my, I loved that Simpsons episode, but associating someone as unpleasant as John with nudity is sickening.

I might send him a blank piece of paper, with a note explaining that that is how much $0 gets him, but honestly I wouldn't want to waste the dollar or whatever on postage for this guy.

A link to a "how to draw stuff" video on youtube would be free, just saying...

Dang....everything is on youtube!  ;D Thank you for the reminder  :-* 
(I've always wanted to be able to draw something other than stick figure people)

I say send him an e-mail with the subject line "The drawing you requested" then link to a YouTube video...of Rick Astley (yes, I say, Rick-Roll him, woohoo!  ;)).

z_squared82

« Reply #453 on: September 30, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »
All right, this didn’t happen to me, but I thought it was too funny not to share.

A high school classmate (and FB friend) is a photographer with her husband. A rather good photographer. They have a blog, and when it is updated, the link it always shared on FB. In addition to the requisite weddings, family portrait sessions and seniors (high school), she also posts some family pictures, especially when it’s her children being super cute, like doing yoga with her. Or in their Halloween costumes.

While said friend is not on Pinterest, people “pin” pictures from her blog to Pinterest, so any member can see them.

Said friend has already gotten 5-6 emails from Complete Strangers asking how much she charges for the infant Oompa Loompa costume. When she has never claimed to want to make them. Or sell them. One woman even asked, “How much for three, I’m on a fixed income.” Said friend has started saying, it cost her $8, go be creative, but you’ll never be able to replicate it exactly since she got half the costume at a thrift shop.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #454 on: September 30, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »

A co-worker and his wife are expecting and I offered to make the cake for the work shower to save other people $$$ and because I know the cake will come out well. Today, co-worker's assistant was surprised when I said I would make the cake and cupcakes and bring everything to serve them, but I was not bringing anything else. It will cost me at least $30 in supplies, and I do not expect to be reimbursed. Why would I be expected to provide drinks/punch, cups and serving equipment?

Co-worker's assistant (CWA) just happened to be at my office yesterday along with another member of our department. The other person is a very close friend of mine and I told her how frustrated I am by CWA's indecisiveness and procrastination about this event. The cake and cupcakes will still be the same, but I don't know if this is part of a meeting, a luncheon, or what! My friend offered to bring chips and dip and all the paper products, mainly so I am not asked to do that as well.

CWA is planning to decide this during the staff meeting next week, with the GOH present!

So, I cornered CWA on IM last week and asked her about a theme and if the shower was going to be just cake and punch or more substantial.

Me: Have you decided on a theme for the shower?
CWA: Yes, theme B.
Me: Oh, I thought that was the theme for the shower occurring at their location (the week after ours)?
CWA: It is.
Me: Did you already purchase things that are theme B?
CWA: No, I haven't bought anything yet. (3 weeks out at the time.)
Me: (Thinking, okay, lets do something different! ) I said, doesn't co-worker like this and this as well?
CWA: Yes, he does.
Me: Let's do that theme then.
CWA: Okay, that will be good.

I decided to do cupcakes, as we won't need to cut any cake and I can send some home with the guest of honor. I ordered cupcake toppers to match the theme and decided on flavors for the cupcakes. My friend is picking up plates, napkins, cups and a tablecloth to match the theme as CWA is on leave until the week of the shower.

So, I guess friend and I are hosting?  ::) At least coworker will have a nice baby shower.  :D

purplerainbow

« Reply #455 on: October 04, 2013, 05:08:42 AM »
I admit, I am more often the asker, than the skilled person.  :-[ But I am always grateful!

My sister makes amazing brownies. Gooey-centred, yummy chocolate brownies. For my 18th birthday, I can't remember if I asked or if she offered, but she made me a batch to take into school to give to my friends. They were awesome... although my 18th birthday was during Lent, so not many people had one because they'd given up chocolate. But at least that meant there were some left over for my family later on.  :) I did thank her, of course!

Last year, my laptop wouldn't work. I couldn't log on, and it would spend actual HOURS on the "please wait" loading screen.  :( So my mum said she would ask her colleague, who knows about computers/IT, if he would take a look at it, instead of me taking it somewhere and paying money. I gratefully agreed to this, and the colleague took it home with him. My laptop also got passed on to his son, who is a major computer geek. (I say this in tones of admiration - I bow down to computer geeks!)
I was so, so grateful when they returned it working again! But I didn't pester, and I would have been perfectly willing to pay some computer repair shop to do the work if my mum's colleague and his son hadn't been willing/able to do it. The way I saw it, they were doing me a HUGE favour, that they didn't have to do.

I just don't get peoples' sense of entitlement when it comes to freebies/favours/jobs etc. "I want xyz done exactly with abc, and I need it for tomorrow!" without so much as a please or thank you, or consideration.
Some people have told me in the past that I say "thank you" a lot - too much, even. But the way I see it, if someone's doing me a favour, then why wouldn't I thank them?  :o

I had a friend at uni who was studying Computer Science (I think that was it), and was fairly good at programming. As such, he (along with a couple of other computer-geek friends) became the default go-to guy if someone's laptop had a problem. If he felt you were abusing his kindness (or even if you were a good enough friend and he just fancied the kicks and giggles), he'd sometimes set your homepage to something explicit (I know, not really e-hell approved).
I once went for months without noticing, because he'd done it on IE, whereas I'd started using Google Chrome. Only found out because my housemate wanted to look something up on the internet and used IE!  :D  :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 06:49:39 AM by purplerainbow »

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #456 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »
Don't feel embarrassed, purplerainbow! Asking isn't always wrong, as long as the askee defers to a few simple rules (which I'm sure you do :) )

1. Realize that you're asking a favour and depending on the craft a pretty significant one at that.
2. Offer to pay for the item or at the very least reimburse the material used.
3. Be sufficiently grateful.
4. Gushing is not required but always appreciated ;)

I'm a knitter, and I LOVE knitting things for my sisters and their kids. I don't mind at all when they ask if I'll knit them something because they follow all 4 rules mentioned above. My oldest niece (age 8 at the time) asked me if I'd knit her a pair of fingerless mittens - I finished them the morning of my other sister's wedding, and not only did she put them on straight away, she didn't want to take them off at all during the ceremony! (her mother did make her take them off as she performed her duties as a flowergirl though ;) ). My oldest nephew asked me to knit him a dragon hat and loved it so much that when he outgrew it, he asked me if I would make it bigger... and then postponed getting his head shaved until I'd finished, because his mother told him he could only shave it if he promised to wear a hat whenever he went outside, and he wanted to wear the one I was fixing :)

Stuff like that warms a knitter's heart... and it warms a knitting aunt's heart even more! My nieblings will always be knitworthy as long as they treat my knitwear like that :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Hillia

« Reply #457 on: October 04, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »
On the same theme, but from the asker's POV...the person doing the favor gets to set the parameters (within reason) of how and when the favor is done.  If you don't like those conditions, don't ask.

DH and I have done 2 interstate moves in the past 3 years.  Both times, his father has offered to come help, drive a truck, etc.  We've declined with thanks both times, because FIL has very definite ideas of How Things Should Be Done, and they are quite different from ours (OK, mine - DH is a go-along guy).  He refuses to drive over 50 on the highway, for example, and I can imagine that would slow down even more driving a moving van.  He works at a very slow, deliberate pace, with frequent diversions, and takes shortcuts.  And he gets very sullen and PA if you don't do things exactly the way he envisions them.  No thank you.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

alkira6

« Reply #458 on: October 04, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »
I finally got around to clearing out some of the backlog of sewing favors this past week.  I re-hemmed 18 pairs of pants, sewed on 7 buttons, fixed 3 sleeve rips, and 3 pocket rips.  Some of these things have been up there for months waiting for me to get around to it.  I still have to line 2 skirts and take in a dress.

Shalamar

« Reply #459 on: October 04, 2013, 12:48:36 PM »
I just don't get peoples' sense of entitlement when it comes to freebies/favours/jobs etc. "I want xyz done exactly with abc, and I need it for tomorrow!" without so much as a please or thank you, or consideration.

Oh, so you've met my MIL, then?  Her "requests" to my husband (her son) are usually worded thusly:  "I need some more business cards.  They should say (Blah), and I have to have them by the end of the week."   I'm always dying to say sweetly "There's a Kinkos down the street, and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to accommodate you."

(In case you're wondering, my husband isn't a printer by trade.  He's a database administrator for Big Blue.  The fact that we have a decent printer and the technical know-how to print business cards apparently means that he will do them for his mother for free, without a single please or thank-you.)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #460 on: October 04, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »
I never thought it would happen to me, but it did today.

I can't knit. I've tried, and the simplest scarf has a very wavy edge from all the unintentional increases and decreases that happen. I stick to what I can do well--crocheting.

There's a military airfield near me, and frequently, flights of service people headed for deployment or coming home from deployment land there for refueling/restocking. There's a volunteer organization that meets every flight and provides the troops with pizza and coffee and other goodies during the layover. I can't make many of the layovers, as I work, so I can't make the ones during the day, or the ones in the middle of the night. I get to the ones I can, and to make a tiny bit of a contribution, I crochet hats. Every person heading out on deployment gets a hand-knitting or hand-crocheted hat.

I got word from the coordinator of the hat project that they are running low on hats. So instead of just working on hats when I watch TV, I've brought yarn to work and work on hats during breaks. A co-worker saw me madly crocheting at lunch last week.

Says the co-worker, "Ooooh! I need to get you to knit something for me!"

Me: Sorry, I only crochet. And right now, I'm only working on this project for our troops.

Co-worker: But I want a hat! (pouty face)

Me: Well, I can get you a copy of the pattern if you like.

Co-worker: No, I want a pretty hat!

Lunch time was over, so I got up and left.

Today at lunch, Co-worker bounces over and throws a pattern down in front of me. 1) It is for knitting. 2) It is incredibly elaborate, with cables  and a brim.

Co-worker: Here! Make this for me.

Me: I can't.

Co-worker: Why not? I want it!

Me: I don't knit. That's a knitted hat.

Co-worker: Insert your favorite whines and pleading here.

Me: Sorry. I don't knit. And I only crochet for family and members of the Armed Forces. When you enlist, let me know and I'll make you a hat.

Then I got up and left.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #461 on: October 04, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »
Me: Sorry. I don't knit. And I only crochet for family and members of the Armed Forces. When you enlist, let me know and I'll make you a hat.

Love it!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #462 on: October 04, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
Today at lunch, Co-worker bounces over and throws a pattern down in front of me. 1) It is for knitting. 2) It is incredibly elaborate, with cables  and a brim.

Co-worker: Here! Make this for me.

Me: I can't.

Here let I'll take over the banging one's head on the wall portion of this thread. 

That exchange makes me seethe.  I hate when people do this to me. 

gmatoy

« Reply #463 on: October 04, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »
When I was in the Army, I often got asked to sew on new rank insignia, etc. Which I did for most people.  The exception? The guy who threw his jacket at me and said, "By tomorrow."

I tossed it back at him and said, "Never."

He was amazed. He couldn't understand it. He just didn't believe I wouldn't do it.

Finally, another guy in our office took him aside and said, "Look, I know she has done stuff for other people in this office, but you broke the rules."

Jacket thrower: "What rules?"

Other guy: " You ask. you don't demand. You offer something for her work: money, rides, food, something."

Jacket thrower: "I never did any of that for my mom."

Other guy: "That WAC is not your mom, idiot!"

Jacket thrower never did pull his stuff together enough to get any sewing done by me!

Everyone else did. They took me places, they bought me food, they brought back stuff from their leaves home. I liked being helpful to and for them.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #464 on: October 04, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »

Having young nieces and nephews, I now reflexively respond to any "I wants" with "And I want a million dollars and a pony."