Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 186986 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2013, 12:38:52 AM »
When I was in the Army, I often got asked to sew on new rank insignia, etc. Which I did for most people.  The exception? The guy who threw his jacket at me and said, "By tomorrow."

I tossed it back at him and said, "Never."

He was amazed. He couldn't understand it. He just didn't believe I wouldn't do it.

Finally, another guy in our office took him aside and said, "Look, I know she has done stuff for other people in this office, but you broke the rules."

Jacket thrower: "What rules?"

Other guy: " You ask. you don't demand. You offer something for her work: money, rides, food, something."

Jacket thrower: "I never did any of that for my mom."

Other guy: "That WAC is not your mom, idiot!"

Jacket thrower never did pull his stuff together enough to get any sewing done by me!

Everyone else did. They took me places, they bought me food, they brought back stuff from their leaves home. I liked being helpful to and for them.

This is why there is an alterations person working at the dry cleaning location by Uniform Clothing Sales - they also hem pants & skirts (finally figured out that I never finished this post for some reason).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:33:33 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

purplerainbow

« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2013, 06:50:40 AM »
Reminds me of some occasions at work. I work in a school library, after the end of the school day. It's open until a reasonable hour, but since I'm the only member of staff in there (usually) and the kids aren't allowed to be in there unsupervised, it closes when I leave, at the set closing time.
Occasionally, a student will ask for 5/10/15 more minutes to finish off the last piece of a project. The answer can vary, dependent on a number of factors, such as:
- whether I need to be home by a certain time that afternoon (eg to cook dinner)
- whether or not I feel like staying at work longer. While I sometimes do it voluntarily, I don't have to.
- their reason for needing the time. If the student has been working solidly since the library opened, and is almost finished, I'm more sympathetic. But if they spent the best part of an hour chatting to their friends instead of working, or they just got out of detention, I'm far less likely to keep the library open for them. In the case of detention, it's not that I think they're a bad kid, it's just that I don't see why I should give up my personal time, because they forgot something/were rude to a teacher/didn't hand in their homework etc.
- their attitude. If they're polite, well-behaved, and seem to realise that I am actually doing them a favour, I am far more likely to stay a bit longer than if they rudely demand that the library stay open to suit them, say something like, "but you're paid to be here", and lack any hint of thanks or gratefulness, as if my free time is some constitutional right.  ::)

I draw the line at lending out items from my personal pencil case, though. If I lend something to one person, it feels bad saying no to someone else. So I don't lend anything. Besides which, they should generally have what they need anyway.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #467 on: October 05, 2013, 04:06:52 PM »
Today at lunch, Co-worker bounces over and throws a pattern down in front of me. 1) It is for knitting. 2) It is incredibly elaborate, with cables  and a brim.

Co-worker: Here! Make this for me.

Me: I can't.

Co-worker: Why not? I want it!

Here let I'll take over the banging one's head on the wall portion of this thread. 

That exchange makes me seethe.  I hate when people do this to me.
Perhaps we should bang the demanders' heads on the wall instead of our own.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #468 on: October 05, 2013, 05:49:01 PM »
Today at lunch, Co-worker bounces over and throws a pattern down in front of me. 1) It is for knitting. 2) It is incredibly elaborate, with cables  and a brim.

Co-worker: Here! Make this for me.

Me: I can't.

Here let I'll take over the banging one's head on the wall portion of this thread. 

That exchange makes me seethe.  I hate when people do this to me.
Perhaps we should bang the demanders' heads on the wall instead of our own.
I like the way you think :D

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #469 on: October 09, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
So a friend of mine, she had a kid pretty recently. It's a cute kid. She had mentioned in passing awhile back how once kid showed up she wanted to get some baby legs for kid, especially since our weather is finally cooling down. Since I'd never made baby legs I thought "Gee, I'd like to try making those", so I made a few. Specifically for this kid, and once kid actually showed up, I gifted them to the parents. Well I actually dropped off the present with the grandparents to give to the parents because I didn't want to bug new parents and I'm worried I'm coming down with a cold (didn't want to gift that, it's mine!). Anyways one of the pairs of baby legs is in Noterdame colors, so friend posts up picture this weekend of kid in ND outfit with, oh the baby legs! Friend who went to high school with both of us commented how cute the baby legs were and asked were they got them. Friend of mine says "Oh, Glitter knitted them up as a baby gift to us!", then I get a message from friend who went to high school asking for baby legs for her kid. Actually what she said was "I need some baby legs for my son. At least two pairs, ND colors for one, and just some boy for the other"....ok...what would you like me to do with this information?

I sent her a response that said: I'd be happy to knit you a few! If you'd like you can buy the yarn you want me to use and I'll knit them up for you for $2 a pair. Or I can use something I have on hand for $5 a pair. Custom orders range from $7-$20 a pair depending on how much the yarn will cost. Let me know what avenue you'd like to take.

Her message back to me was: Oh. LOL, I thought maybe I could get a pair and just ya know...drive some business to you! I'd tell all my friends where I got them from! ;)

Me: Thank you, but that isn't necessary. I can handle my own marketing. So, have you decided which opition for your baby legs?

Yeah, nothing back and I know I won't hear anything back either. A friend of the original friend though (a woman I don't know), sent me this message: Hi, I'm a friend of J's and she showed me some of the super cute baby legs you've knitted for her. I have some yarn already and I've been looking for someone who can knit me up some baby legs. I'd be happy to pay you for your time, and no rush on them at all! Can we meet for coffee to discuss details?

So I met her, she's paying $5 a pair, she's also asked if I can knit her a few caps out of some stash yarn I already have (also $5 each!). She set the price.

See, some people can figure out the right way to ask! Other people are nit-wits.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #470 on: October 09, 2013, 01:26:19 PM »
I seem to run into the nit-wits.

After the baby shower next week, if my co-workers volunteer my time, efforts and money again to provide a cake/cupcakes for an event, they will be told my going rate. No $$, no cake.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #471 on: October 09, 2013, 01:35:27 PM »
don't you mean Knit-wits  8)

BarensMom

« Reply #472 on: October 09, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
So a friend of mine, she had a kid pretty recently. It's a cute kid. She had mentioned in passing awhile back how once kid showed up she wanted to get some baby legs for kid, especially since our weather is finally cooling down. Since I'd never made baby legs I thought "Gee, I'd like to try making those", so I made a few. Specifically for this kid, and once kid actually showed up, I gifted them to the parents. Well I actually dropped off the present with the grandparents to give to the parents because I didn't want to bug new parents and I'm worried I'm coming down with a cold (didn't want to gift that, it's mine!). Anyways one of the pairs of baby legs is in Noterdame colors, so friend posts up picture this weekend of kid in ND outfit with, oh the baby legs! Friend who went to high school with both of us commented how cute the baby legs were and asked were they got them. Friend of mine says "Oh, Glitter knitted them up as a baby gift to us!", then I get a message from friend who went to high school asking for baby legs for her kid. Actually what she said was "I need some baby legs for my son. At least two pairs, ND colors for one, and just some boy for the other"....ok...what would you like me to do with this information?

I sent her a response that said: I'd be happy to knit you a few! If you'd like you can buy the yarn you want me to use and I'll knit them up for you for $2 a pair. Or I can use something I have on hand for $5 a pair. Custom orders range from $7-$20 a pair depending on how much the yarn will cost. Let me know what avenue you'd like to take.

Her message back to me was: Oh. LOL, I thought maybe I could get a pair and just ya know...drive some business to you! I'd tell all my friends where I got them from! ;)

Me: Thank you, but that isn't necessary. I can handle my own marketing. So, have you decided which opition for your baby legs?

Yeah, nothing back and I know I won't hear anything back either. A friend of the original friend though (a woman I don't know), sent me this message: Hi, I'm a friend of J's and she showed me some of the super cute baby legs you've knitted for her. I have some yarn already and I've been looking for someone who can knit me up some baby legs. I'd be happy to pay you for your time, and no rush on them at all! Can we meet for coffee to discuss details?

So I met her, she's paying $5 a pair, she's also asked if I can knit her a few caps out of some stash yarn I already have (also $5 each!). She set the price.

See, some people can figure out the right way to ask! Other people are nit-wits.

Gee, Glitter, at $5/pair, it doesn't seem like you're charging enough for your time spent. 

NyaChan

« Reply #473 on: October 09, 2013, 01:40:09 PM »
I can't believe she had the audacity to ask for it for free when you are charging so little!  I've seen socks that are machine made that cost more!  Come on people  >:(

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #474 on: October 09, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »
That's what I was thinking!  I don't know what baby legs are (Are they like leg warmers?  No feet in them?) but it does sound like an extremely reasonable amount.

$5 for a hat from stash yarn, if it is just plain and a mindless, TV watching project, is about what I'd charge.  But anything more complicated than that?  Needs to be more money.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #475 on: October 09, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »
Yeah, they're basically like leg warmers but...for babies! A lot of parents who cloth diaper use them apparently because then they can show off the cute design on the cloth diaper (my friend uses them like tights).

I knew I was going low as they cost much more on line, but I figure I'm still learning and I can't promise when I'll have them done as I have to do my real job too and that comes first.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #476 on: October 09, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
Yeah, that's so little!  I'd totally buy a pair for that much!  :)

I have a ton of yarn, as I really fell in love with this one kind and bought a bunch (back when I was knitting a lot) and then I sort of lost steam with knitting.  I need to get back into it sometime.  I need to finish the stocking for the baby first, though.  It doesn't have the foot part done yet.  That's no fun, all the treats would fall out!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #477 on: October 09, 2013, 02:18:57 PM »

Having young nieces and nephews, I now reflexively respond to any "I wants" with "And I want a million dollars and a pony."

My mother always said "It's good to want things, builds charterer", or "Good to have goals dear".

Hillia

« Reply #478 on: October 09, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
My favorite is 'People in h3ll want ice water'

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cwm

« Reply #479 on: October 09, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »
My dad's favorite was "Poo in one hand, want in the other. See which one fills up first." Except his version was much more vulgar.