Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 127293 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #495 on: October 30, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
Rather then paying her with money (as it sounds she did it for just because you were her friend) what about treating her to a thank you lunch or coffee?

Or do something nice for her.

Volunteer to spend a Saturday helping her clean out a closet. Or if you make anything of any kind (food, sewing, whatever) or have any skills (resumé polishing even), look for an opportunity to gift her with something from YOUR hands.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #496 on: November 11, 2013, 10:55:14 PM »
Update on Doris, the lazy crocheter:

During the two months I spent making an afghan for Doris’ granddaughter, Doris was simply awful to me.  I figured she was angry about me backing way off on enabling her, and also I know that she’s found a new victim.  The last two weeks I didn’t hear from her at all, and I was delighted.  I planned to drop the afghan off and hopefully never hear from her again.

When I called to tell her I was bringing the afghan over, she was hostile.  She said she was about to take a nap and I could leave it in the car port.  I mentioned that I’d started a camouflage afghan like her grandson has been saying he wanted for the past two years.  She informed me that he was bored with camouflage and now wanted a red and black afghan.

I had week of peace, but today she called while I was at work and left a message.  She was bubbling sugar.  She said she hadn’t been feeling well and hadn’t felt like talking to anyone.  She effused about the granddaughter’s afghan (which took me 100 hours to make).  The kicker:  She showed the afghan to a pet neighbor child, who wants to know if she can have one just like it. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #497 on: November 11, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
Why do I doubt that the child actually wants one that badly? I have a feeling she is blowing it out of proportion.

cwm

« Reply #498 on: November 12, 2013, 12:25:42 PM »
You can tell Doris that your gift to her grandchildren is free of charge (as it sounds like it is), but if Pet Neighbor Child wants one, it will be $XX and your turnaround time is Y weeks. Feel free to set your charge and time accordingly.

And if you don't want to switch to a red and black, just tell her that you've already started on the camoflauge and have already bought all the yarn, so terribly sorry, it will cost her $X to change colors at this point.

She sounds a little crazy, to be honest.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #499 on: November 18, 2013, 05:28:24 PM »
You can tell Doris that your gift to her grandchildren is free of charge (as it sounds like it is), but if Pet Neighbor Child wants one, it will be $XX and your turnaround time is Y weeks. Feel free to set your charge and time accordingly.

And if you don't want to switch to a red and black, just tell her that you've already started on the camoflauge and have already bought all the yarn, so terribly sorry, it will cost her $X to change colors at this point.

She sounds a little crazy, to be honest.

For a 100 hours of labour, I would say $XXX.

purplerainbow

« Reply #500 on: December 01, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »
Found another example.

There is a website called "Noteflight", on which one can arrange pieces of music as sheet music, be it one's own compositions, or arrangements of well-known pieces. Lots of people do arrangements of pop songs and the like. You can choose which instruments to write for, and how many, eg a solo clarinet/piano, or an entire orchestra.
It takes a fair amount of work to arrange a piece of music as sheet music, and I totally appreciate the efforts and skill that go into it - especially since I'm not so skilled myself.
Musicians, music-lovers, composers etc are sharing these arrangements for free on this site; they're not being paid for their efforts. In fact, many are paying for the premium membership to the site.
Yet still, in the comments section for any given piece, you will find various people requesting that the person who arranged x piece of music, write another arrangement for instruments xyz, in such and such a key. Some requests are things anyone could easily do - eg, "Can you put the lyrics in with this?"  :oUmmm... YOU could do that. Print out the music, find the lyrics on the internet, and write them in yourself.
Some people just don't seem to appreciate that these people are doing something that takes a fair amount of skill, and sharing it with the world for free. They're not your personal composer!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #501 on: December 01, 2013, 05:58:43 PM »
Found another example.

There is a website called "Noteflight", on which one can arrange pieces of music as sheet music, be it one's own compositions, or arrangements of well-known pieces. Lots of people do arrangements of pop songs and the like. You can choose which instruments to write for, and how many, eg a solo clarinet/piano, or an entire orchestra.
It takes a fair amount of work to arrange a piece of music as sheet music, and I totally appreciate the efforts and skill that go into it - especially since I'm not so skilled myself.
Musicians, music-lovers, composers etc are sharing these arrangements for free on this site; they're not being paid for their efforts. In fact, many are paying for the premium membership to the site.
Yet still, in the comments section for any given piece, you will find various people requesting that the person who arranged x piece of music, write another arrangement for instruments xyz, in such and such a key. Some requests are things anyone could easily do - eg, "Can you put the lyrics in with this?"  :oUmmm... YOU could do that. Print out the music, find the lyrics on the internet, and write them in yourself.
Some people just don't seem to appreciate that these people are doing something that takes a fair amount of skill, and sharing it with the world for free. They're not your personal composer!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!  I lost my Finale registration code years ago, so even though I still have the discs, I can't use the (very expensive) notation program.  I don't write much anymore, but every once in a while I need to be able to churn out some sheet music for something and I don't have a way to do it - looks like this site will be a handy tool!

purplerainbow

« Reply #502 on: December 01, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »
Found another example.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!  I lost my Finale registration code years ago, so even though I still have the discs, I can't use the (very expensive) notation program.  I don't write much anymore, but every once in a while I need to be able to churn out some sheet music for something and I don't have a way to do it - looks like this site will be a handy tool!

You're welcome :)
The free membership limits your compositions to a maximum of 10, although you can "favourite" as many other pieces as you like. Otherwise, I think the paid membership is something like $50 a year.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #503 on: December 07, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this but I felt that you guys would be able to understand.

I am part of several groups on FB. Mostly for Crocheting. Sharing pictures and links to the patterns. Both free and paid for patterns. I have a huge problem with people who feel that the price of a paid pattern is too much and insists on a free version. It bugs me even more when the person tries to wheedle the pattern out of some one who did pay for it!

Yes I made this great item. Yes I paid for the pattern. I paid the person who invented the pattern. Who put in time and effort to create this wonderful pattern. It is work and they do deserve to get paid for it. 

I and others report the people who wrongfully spread paid patterns for free in the groups. There are people in the group who design patterns too and they deserve the income from the patterns.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #504 on: December 07, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »
I belonged to a group that kept passing around copies of their favorite patterns (counted cross stitch, not crochet or knitting) - "my copy" got shredded every time I got home and I didn't have a copier at home to make copies.  If asked for a copy of what I was doing - I'd tell them where I got it (or hand them a copy if it was a shop freebie for advertising) but for some reason, I was always forgetting to make copies at the library, didn't have change, forgot the original, etc.

I did make some copies - but they were for my own use as I highlighted the completed area on complicated designs (allowed) and not for handing out to other people so that they didn't have to buy a copy (not allowed).  But "rocking the boat" was not going to change them and it would have gotten me kicked out of what was otherwise a compatible group.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #505 on: December 23, 2013, 11:46:32 AM »
This is just something I stumbled across online, and I thought I might leave it here for all the knitters who have posted to the thread. It is truly one of the most unusual charity requests I have ever seen. I think if I knew how to knit, I would do it just to be able to say "I knitted a sweater for a penguin and it saved their life."
Just one more reason you craft people are awesome. ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

perpetua

« Reply #506 on: December 23, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
Found another example.

You're welcome :)
The free membership limits your compositions to a maximum of 10, although you can "favourite" as many other pieces as you like. Otherwise, I think the paid membership is something like $50 a year.

Or if you'd rather not rely on an online service and/or pay a subscription fee, here's also a programme called MuseScore, which I use - it's rather good and totally free. It's available for both Windows and Mac.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:31:07 PM by perpetua »

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #507 on: December 23, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »
I'm afraid to say I did this once but in my defense I was a kid and didn't know better.

For some reason I was big into zebras and my little brother was big into tigers, and I told my grandma that I wanted a zebra animal for me and a tiger stuffed animal for my brother. A friend of hers ended up knitting (or crocheting?) the zebra for me for Christmas, and when I opened it I liked it and then said, "But where's (brother's) tiger?"

Grandma laughed and said her friend had decided that doing one of these complicated patterns was enough. I think then it started to sink in that this was hard.

I still have that zebra. And he's awesome.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #508 on: December 30, 2013, 07:41:02 PM »
<background>I'm an IT person.  I have been doing technical support for years.  For the most part, I don't mind when friends ask me to take a look at something.  Often, it's a 5 minute max sort of fix and it would have cost them $100+ to take it into a local shop.  To me, they are my friends and often my hosts and it's well within the boundaries of our friendship.  If it's a serious thing that takes me more than ten minutes or so I usually get a bottle of wine or a nice lunch out of it.  They are always gracious when it's something I can't fix or something I can't fix right away (it needs a part or something).  Most follow my advice and take decent care of their machines so most fixes are one time only.  This has been going on for years.  </background>

My mother recently moved to the same state I am in and got together with a man with a large family, most of which is local to him.  He makes her happy and is a nice man.

My husband and I went over for Christmas.  It started with a quick 'would you look at my computer, I think Niece downloaded something again'.  She did, I fixed it.  Then 'would you take a look at Boyfriend's laptop, it's been slow'.  Two hours and three computers later, I find his kids are now bringing over their computers for me to look at.  They were nice about it, certainly, and apologetic when they realized they'd all had the same idea of 'oh, hey, GG is going to be there maybe I'll bring the laptop over and see if she can't take a quick look.'

But for the love of Pete, at one point, I had a stack of 8 laptops.

I ended up showing the tech savvy teen how to fix the most common issue and turned her loose, telling her it was absolutely okay to blackmail aunts and uncles with demands for jewelry before solving their 'way to many background programs running' issue, and watching her eyes light up with avarice.  The aforementioned aunts and uncles were a bit annoyed at the teen until I pointed out they could pay her in $5 charms for her bracelet, or cough up my '50% discounted for friends and family' rate of $40 an hour.

I'm getting paid for the one that actually requires professional attention, and the other that required professional attention belonged to my niece and is mine until she's no longer grounded due to me uncovering the reasons it required professional attention.  Once her grounding is done, it will be returned to her locked down with parental controls and a password that requires her to pay homage to her awesome aunt everytime she wants to log in.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #509 on: December 30, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
*cackle* Sounds like you've done a good job of making sure people will think twice about dog piling you with tech fix requests in the future, Garden Goblin! XD
"Set aphasia to stun!"