News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2017, 02:23:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 591979 times)

southern girl

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #510 on: February 17, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
My sister-in-law makes beautiful wire wrap jewelry.  I have bought some pieces from her (at her market price) but if I want something special, I ask for it for Christmas.  I pick colors, she picks the stone and the design.  It works for us.

LadyClaire

« Reply #511 on: February 17, 2014, 08:00:31 AM »
Oh, yes. The I'm special and should not have to pay the same rate as a stranger ploy.

Doesn't work on me either. I make very intricate beaded jewelry, and require half the payment up front before I will order the supplies. I used to make pieces as gifts, but stopped for my sisters and mother as I kept getting complaints. My best friend and I exchange jewelry pieces as she is more into wire work than beading.

It just really bothers me that she asked twice for a discount. Once someone tells you "no", that should be it. I'm hoping that the second time is the charm.

I don't often make pieces as gifts, either. I will with beadwoven stuff, but not with the metalwork.

NyaChan

« Reply #512 on: February 17, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »
Oh, yes. The I'm special and should not have to pay the same rate as a stranger ploy.

Doesn't work on me either. I make very intricate beaded jewelry, and require half the payment up front before I will order the supplies. I used to make pieces as gifts, but stopped for my sisters and mother as I kept getting complaints. My best friend and I exchange jewelry pieces as she is more into wire work than beading.

It just really bothers me that she asked twice for a discount. Once someone tells you "no", that should be it. I'm hoping that the second time is the charm.

I don't often make pieces as gifts, either. I will with beadwoven stuff, but not with the metalwork.

Yeah, the first time I could kind of let go of because sometimes people just don't understand what they are really asking you to do in terms of money and time, but to do it twice and then change people as if she was hoping she could get around each of you for the result she wanted?  No redemption there. 

Lynn2000

« Reply #513 on: February 17, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »
POD! She could have said, "I love those dragon necklaces you make, but I can only spend $50. Is there a smaller/less intricate version you could make?" In other words tried to work with you to find a solution you both liked. Or saved up for the full price.

I always think those "obvious" discount reasons are funny... "Oh, you're my sister-in-law? I'd forgotten! Of course you can get a discount for that!"
~Lynn2000

goldilocks

« Reply #514 on: February 17, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »
You know - I always pay more if I'm family!   why would I want a family member to make less money on me?

I have a young relative starting his own lawn business.   No way would I dream of asking him to give me a discount, when I can afford his full price, and knowing he can't really afford to give me one.   As a matter of fact, when I pay him, I usually "round up" and give him a little more.

TootsNYC

« Reply #515 on: February 17, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »
Yeah, I've been frustrated sometimes, actually, w/ friends or family -offering- a discount.

I want to support your business. How is it supporting your business if you make less profit?

And, if you give me a discount, what happens if I'm not really happy with the end result--will you come back and fix it for me, or will you be crabby I asked you to, since you gave me a discount?

What I want, in terms of extra consideration for a friend/family member is the assurance of an honest job of high quality. (Which you should give to everyone, but since I know you, I am trusting that I won't have to worrya bout it the way I might w/ someone else.)

jaxsue

« Reply #516 on: February 17, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
This isn't craft-related, but it does fit the gist of this thread.

My X-DH is a bagpiper. He has played for almost 30 yrs. He has spent a couple thousand dollars for his kit (his kilt, etc.) and his bagpipes. It's amazing how many people want him to play for free. FTR, he will play for free for certain events, such as graveside services for friends/relatives and weddings for family members. But it's very SS when people want him to play for free for a wedding (someone he doesn't even know). They're paying the florist, minister, the caterer, but the musicians have to do it for nothing? Oookay.  :P

Dindrane

« Reply #517 on: February 17, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »
I think it's okay to want a family member discount if the relationship overall involves an equal amount of give and take. Like if I always babysit someone's children for cheap, I'd appreciate it if they made me some craft item I wanted for less than they'd normally charge.

But even then, I think it's a little awkward to ask about it. To use my example, I wouldn't babysit someone's kids for cheap (or free) unless I was happy to do it without further compensation. If that person never did anything of equal consideration for me ever, or I felt that I was being taken advantage of, I'd probably just be less available...but I wouldn't ask them to give me some other good or service for cheap/free to make up for it. Mostly because it wouldn't make up for it, and it would be awkward to boot.

I also think the family member discount means you have to be willing to accept the family member timeline as well. I'm pretty slow to finish most craft projects, because I do them in my not-especially-extensive free time, and because I have a lot of things that put demands on said free time. It's one of the primary reasons I've never seriously considered trying to sell the things I make, because then I'd have to start and finish them in a reasonable timeline. When it's a gift that is free, "when I get around to it" is plenty fast enough, and "when I feel like working on it" is an acceptable speed. But if someone has paid me, that stops being true, and I feel like I have more of an obligation to devote time to the project that I'd rather spend doing something else.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #518 on: February 17, 2014, 06:33:06 PM »
I was reminded of this just today...see, when I am going to groom my own dogs, I might contact a couple very close friends and ask them if they want theirs done as well, since I'm set up for it.  But I do not want every friend-of-friend or distant relation or anyone popping up and asking me (or even worse, telling me) that their dog needs grooming, and since that's "my thing" I shouldn't mind doing it, right?  Never mind that it's my shampoo, my water, my towels, my time, and wear and tear on my tools, and you're expecting me to work for free?  Yes, I used to do this for a living, but to be honest I don't even really enjoy doing my own dogs anymore...I just do because it needs doing and I'm broke.  If I could afford it, you better believe I'd be paying someone else.

So, short answer is no.  I will not groom your dog.  Ever.  And DEFINITELY not for free.

I have one friend whose dog I will groom at no charge, but we also have kind of a deal; she is a professional makeup artist and has been teaching the MOST incompetent person in the world about the basics of makeup. (the incompetent?  That would be me.)  She takes the time and helps me while using her own supplies, so I consider it to be fair trade.  Plus, her dog Rollo is one of my favourites.  He is cute and friendly and I'm always happy to have him visit.  Other people, not so much.  Especially not those who assume I like spending my weekends in wet, soapy clothes, smelling like a wet dog and covered in hair for free.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

LadyClaire

« Reply #519 on: February 18, 2014, 07:04:53 AM »
I think it's okay to want a family member discount if the relationship overall involves an equal amount of give and take. Like if I always babysit someone's children for cheap, I'd appreciate it if they made me some craft item I wanted for less than they'd normally charge.

But even then, I think it's a little awkward to ask about it. To use my example, I wouldn't babysit someone's kids for cheap (or free) unless I was happy to do it without further compensation. If that person never did anything of equal consideration for me ever, or I felt that I was being taken advantage of, I'd probably just be less available...but I wouldn't ask them to give me some other good or service for cheap/free to make up for it. Mostly because it wouldn't make up for it, and it would be awkward to boot.

I also think the family member discount means you have to be willing to accept the family member timeline as well. I'm pretty slow to finish most craft projects, because I do them in my not-especially-extensive free time, and because I have a lot of things that put demands on said free time. It's one of the primary reasons I've never seriously considered trying to sell the things I make, because then I'd have to start and finish them in a reasonable timeline. When it's a gift that is free, "when I get around to it" is plenty fast enough, and "when I feel like working on it" is an acceptable speed. But if someone has paid me, that stops being true, and I feel like I have more of an obligation to devote time to the project that I'd rather spend doing something else.

My biggest issue is that I barely know her. I've met her once, in the entire time I've known my husband (15+ years). She lives in another state and is quite a bit older than DH, so he didn't really grow up with her or have a close relationship. I don't think she even sent us a "congratulations" card when we got married, and our relationship doesn't go beyond the occasional "hi" on Facebook.

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #520 on: February 18, 2014, 10:30:30 AM »
I received two requests this weekend to accompany stringed instrument students for a competition, next Monday. 

One piece is SEVEN minutes long!  The other is only three and one half minutes long.  I'll jump right on that!

Never mind that I have never seen the music and would need a bit of time to work it up once I even got the music (google and youtube are great resources for me to hear interpretations of the pieces, and to see what  would be doing as an accompanist an the duration of piece) never mind that my schedule may not match up in one short week to have at least one rehearsal with each student, never mind that I am actually teaching during the time of the competition, but...no payment was mentioned. 

I was paid by beginning violin students at their first recital almost my hourly rate of teaching piano, and the music was pretty much sight readable.  The violin teacher told me that she stresses to her beginning students and their parents, "paying for a good accompanist and providing the originals of the music, and arranging times to practice together, are a basic part of becoming a violinist." 

These girls are high school, difficult pieces.  Yet, because my son is friends with them, and because it is for the school, I should clear my schedule and do this for ... free?  half price?  In one week?

I was able to happily use the e-hell phrase, "I am afraid that will not be possible" and wished the students well. 

Will I accompany my Sunday school class while we sing hymns at a retirement home?  yes!  Will I accompany children's choir at church?  yes.  Those are my gifts.  I enjoy serving that way. 

Stressing myself out with no time in a full schedule to cram in music I am not familiar with, and arranging travel and practice times for little or no pay?  Plus arranging make-up times for my already scheduled students?  Nope, not gonna happen.  I am FREE!!   ;D

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

alkira6

« Reply #521 on: February 18, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »
I actually had a non-snowflake craft encounter this weekend.  I finished a painting (finally) and had it sitting against the wall in the entryway.  A friend saw it and we began chatting about it while waiting for my husband.  She began telling me about how a piece like it would go great in her guest bedroom.  Before I could think of a polite reply she backed up and said that it would be too much to ask for me to take something I do as a hobby and try to please other people.

She understands!

z_squared82

« Reply #522 on: February 18, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »
I knew someone was angling for free craft work last month and didn’t even give them a chance to ask.

I was at my niece’s bday party. My sister-in-law’s sister (or my brother’s sister-in-law, whichever you prefer) was saying something to her husband about her grandmother’s quilts. Turns out, they had been damaged in a fire, but she still had some of the top and wanted to take that and turn it into a larger quilt again.

Let’s forget the fact that the likelihood of the top being fine but the batting and backing beneath it being damaged and removed is slim to none. And we’ll gloss over the fact that these partial toppers have been sitting in a trunk for years, having moved from at least Europe back to the States, so their condition without being in a fire can be suspect.

We’re going to focus on the fact that she knows my mother quilts and obviously wants Mom to volunteer to fix the things.

Before Mom even hears the story, I suggest she go to a good quilt shop I know of near where she lives and ask them if they know anybody.

She listens, but later, of course, asks Mom about it directly. Well, as directly as she gets. Not, “Will you do this?” but “Do you know what I need to have done.” Although Mom and I both know what she means. I told Mom what I had recommended, Mom goes with that. We both stressed how much time it would take, and how time equals money. She claimed to now care how much it’ll cost to fix. We’ll see if she actually finds someone else to fix it, and then how much she complains about the cost.

Alli8098

« Reply #523 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »
I am not a professional baker but my friends know I like to bake.  I frequently will bake special items during the holidays and deliver them to my friends.  And at a previous job whenever we had a potluck I usually provided desert such as specialty cheesecakes.  And recently I had a out of the home cupcake business which unfortunately my partner was very toxic so I pulled myself out. 

The only times I will do specialty cookies and/or deserts for free are for my local church events or if I owe a favor to a friend (and it's not expensive for me to do).  Even one of my old bosses insisted on paying me twice what I quoted him for cupcakes I offered to give him a good price on because our cupcake business was new and I wanted to get our name out when I made some for a big client event.

Otherwise (call me rude) but if the ingredients are pricey and the desert is time-consuming I just can't do it for free.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #524 on: February 18, 2014, 01:29:20 PM »
Those of you who are on Twitter might find @forexposure_txt an interesting read.  It's an account which tweets bits and pieces from various "artist wanted" spaces online, usually with hilarious justifications for why artists shouldn't be paid.  (Warning: some of the language is not eHell approved.)  Some of the more tame ones:

Hello,
I need a artist for this webcomic, but I can't pay you.

FEMINIST ILLUSTRATORS WANTED. A great opportunity for artists who want there work seen. There is a small fee of $5.00 per person to submit.

Storyboard artist: Shooting in 72 hours. This is short notice, yes, for a lot of shots and no pay. We need approximately 2,000 shots.

I'm an artist as well, and know this can be done by someone with the talent and the time. We will cover the cost of paper.