Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 180541 times)

bloo

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #765 on: March 30, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
That I could live with, Bloo - egg white freezes just fine but yolks don't.  I know, I tried.   :-[

And if you could, you know, pretty please???  post the recipes in the appropriate folder?  Please??   :D

I have an ice cream maker and that sounds yummy!

LOL! I will hunt them down along with the appropriate folder! ;D

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #766 on: March 30, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »
Thanks!!!!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #767 on: March 31, 2014, 12:44:50 AM »
^
Okay, my curiousity is aroused. I heard that it takes a big hook and 30 minutes to churn one out. What does a crocheter do with a thick cookbook when making a ruffle scarf?

(I use US size 11 knitting needles to make ruffle scarves)

Most ruffle yarns have a ruffly side with big holes and then a side with smaller holes that you knit/crochet.  Those loops are much smaller and when you try to find them as you unravel the ball of yarn it can become a pain. The yarn also has a tendency to twist coming off of the machine wrapped ball.  So you wrap the yarn around a large thick book to create tension as you unwind it.  The book acts as a very large spool. 

The crochet hook method is easier than using needles.  I'll attempt to create a drawing below

< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8-----------

Above, the "<" symbol is the hooked part and the "----------" is the rest of the crochet hook,  The numbers are the loops of yarn. 

To create a ruffle you pick up the loop furthest from the hook (#8) lift up and over the other loops and drop it off of hook, leaving only #1 on the hook.  loops 2-7 will follow #8 off the hook.  So your crochet hook will look like this
 <1-------------

pick up 7 more loops and start again. the #1 loop will turn into the #8 loop

I need to create a picture tutorial and post it somewhere :P

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #768 on: March 31, 2014, 01:35:50 AM »
When I knit with ruffle yarn, I just knit in repeated short rows - think 4 or 5 stitches. Very easy. Pick up the first loops instead of casting on and away you go.

Or, there's the non-ruffle-yarn method, which results in a bit more spiral ruffle - big needles, thin yarn, cast on a whole mess of stitches (approx length of finished scarf), *knit a row, knit front & back of every stitch for a row (doubling your stitches)*, and repeat between the ** a couple of times, then knit a row to finish. Very easy, but takes rather longer.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #769 on: March 31, 2014, 10:28:43 AM »
Thank you, PastryGoddess! Your description is excellant.

I've got a bunch of ruffle yarn and will crochet at least one using your instructions.

I am definitely not bringing this project into work. It would be rude to bluntly tell Darla and Tricia:
"if I didn't give birth to you, or you are not related to me by marriage, I am not making you a scarf."

SoCalVal

« Reply #770 on: March 31, 2014, 04:08:41 PM »

I've got a bunch of ruffle yarn and will crochet at least one using your instructions.

I am definitely not bringing this project into work. It would be rude to bluntly tell Darla and Tricia:
"if I didn't give birth to you, or you are not related to me by marriage, I am not making you a scarf."

I don't know -- you could have a t-shirt made up that says that and wear it to work (or have a knitting/crocheting tote bag made up with that sentiment printed on the side).

AmethystAnne

« Reply #771 on: March 31, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »
^
SoCalVal.....love it!  ;D

I think that would be a good thing for all of us crafters to wear or to carry who have been bugged by the clueless or the gimmegimmee's.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #772 on: March 31, 2014, 04:29:47 PM »

When you get to the end make sure you sew the last ruffle loops together, or it will all unravel.  Unraveling is VERY.NOT.GOOD

bloo

« Reply #773 on: March 31, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
That I could live with, Bloo - egg white freezes just fine but yolks don't.  I know, I tried.   :-[

And if you could, you know, pretty please???  post the recipes in the appropriate folder?  Please??   :D

I have an ice cream maker and that sounds yummy!

Julian: I posted the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream recipe in this thread:

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=49363.0

Still looking for the Peanut Butter Ice Cream one...  :)

nayberry

« Reply #774 on: March 31, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »
When I knit with ruffle yarn, I just knit in repeated short rows - think 4 or 5 stitches. Very easy. Pick up the first loops instead of casting on and away you go.

Or, there's the non-ruffle-yarn method, which results in a bit more spiral ruffle - big needles, thin yarn, cast on a whole mess of stitches (approx length of finished scarf), *knit a row, knit front & back of every stitch for a row (doubling your stitches)*, and repeat between the ** a couple of times, then knit a row to finish. Very easy, but takes rather longer.

pod the bolded, i do the same thing, keeps it nice and ruffled and holds the shape :)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #775 on: March 31, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »
I was chatting with my boss (she happens to know Pastry Lady.) She mentioned that she had taken the Wilton decorating classes, and used to do cakes as a hobby. A relative asked her to do their wedding cake. She agreed because it was family, and made a three-tier wedding cake for the big day. Not an easy feat.

They paid for her services...with a plant.  ::)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #776 on: March 31, 2014, 07:20:38 PM »
Thanks Bloo, much appreciated!   ;D

magician5

« Reply #777 on: March 31, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »

I don't know -- you could have a t-shirt made up that says that and wear it to work (or have a knitting/crocheting tote bag made up with that sentiment printed on the side).

In a similar vein, I've seen a T-shirt that says "No, I won't fix your computer."
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #778 on: March 31, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »

In a similar vein, I've seen a T-shirt that says "No, I won't fix your computer."
Heh. Husband has that one. As well as one that says "I'm here because you broke something."
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

AmethystAnne

« Reply #779 on: March 31, 2014, 11:49:07 PM »
Wouldn't also be called job security?  :)