Author Topic: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)  (Read 187760 times)

Minmom3

Re: But ... But ... It's Not Like It's Work! (Craft Freebies)
« Reply #780 on: April 01, 2014, 12:44:43 AM »
I bought a mug from the Selfish Seamstress website:

Just because we're friends
Doesn't mean I'll spend my time
Fixing your ripped sh**

I dearly love my mug!  She doesn't spell the word out either, but it only has one asterisk.  It has a dress form to the left of the text.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #781 on: April 01, 2014, 02:09:40 AM »
^
Minmom3, thank you for another lovely site to explore! The saying on the mug is right on target with this topic.

(The fabrics and outfits she displays are lovely)

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #782 on: April 01, 2014, 07:57:16 AM »
Can I go a tiny bit off-topic?

My nephew and niece have discovered Doctor Who. So I crocheted a Tardis scarf for my niece and a Doctor's scarf for my nephew, slightly scaled down, since he is currently only 4 feet tall.

My sister-in-law reports that they have both gotten lots of comments on the scarves, and people wanting to know where they can get one and the kids always say, "My aunt made this for me!" What nice kids. Definitely crochet-worthy.

Of course, now my brother wants a full-length Doctor's scarf. Maybe by Christmas . . . .
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Miss March

« Reply #783 on: April 01, 2014, 09:15:24 AM »
I am definitely not bringing this project into work. It would be rude to bluntly tell Darla and Tricia:
"if I didn't give birth to you, or you are not related to me by marriage, I am not making you a scarf."

I don't know -- you could have a t-shirt made up that says that and wear it to work (or have a knitting/crocheting tote bag made up with that sentiment printed on the side).

In a similar vein, I've seen a T-shirt that says "No, I won't fix your computer."
Heh. Husband has that one. As well as one that says "I'm here because you broke something."

I know a woman who drives a pickup truck. Her bumper sticker reads "No, I won't help you move."
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #784 on: April 01, 2014, 09:23:54 AM »
I bought a mug from the Selfish Seamstress website:

Just because we're friends
Doesn't mean I'll spend my time
Fixing your ripped sh**

I dearly love my mug!  She doesn't spell the word out either, but it only has one asterisk.  It has a dress form to the left of the text.

You know, if the word was "shirt" it wouldn't need an asterisk....

Mom taught me to sew.  She refused to teach me to darn - in her opinion - "darning" something was just abut the same as cursing it - because every time she'd had to wear darned socks as a kid, she ended up with a blister at the site of the darn.  Darns in other garments might not have been as painful....but she just didn't enjoy doing them.  Ripped out knees in my brothers' pants got patched - but no socks were ever mended (store bought socks were too much trouble as you had NONE of the original yarn).

As a joke, I seem to remember someone saying "darn those socks", checking to see if they still had a hole in the toe, and then trashing them (both socks had a hole).  But I can't remember who did that...I've done it myself, since...kids have been known to tear things in less than thirty minutes the first time they wear them, sometimes they take less than ten minutes. 

I have the same gift - I snagged the hem of my matron of honor dress with a heel while getting dressed.  I grabbed tape off the secretary's desk to keep it up as I didn't have a sewing kit with me - I also learned to keep a small sewing kit with me....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #785 on: April 01, 2014, 10:06:18 AM »
Of course, now my brother wants a full-length Doctor's scarf. Maybe by Christmas . . . .

I am currently making one as well.  I have made two feet in three months so I'm thinking it's a very long term project.  No "please make me one too"s yet.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #786 on: April 01, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »

I am currently making one as well.  I have made two feet in three months so I'm thinking it's a very long term project.  No "please make me one too"s yet.

A coworker asked another coworker if he could make her one. He's a larger guy, too. She quoted him $80. He complained that was unreasonable.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #787 on: April 01, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »

A coworker asked another coworker if he could make her one. He's a larger guy, too. She quoted him $80. He complained that was unreasonable.

I've made one, following the original pattern.  I calculated that it would have cost me at least $60 in yarn, if I'd had to buy new, rather than using my stash.  So $80 is exceedingly reasonable, IMO.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #788 on: April 01, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »
I know a woman who drives a pickup truck. Her bumper sticker reads "No, I won't help you move."
I've seen a variation of that:

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Miss March

« Reply #789 on: April 01, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
Oh! That's her bumper sticker! I forgot the first part, but that is it, exactly.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

sleepy59

« Reply #790 on: April 01, 2014, 01:48:40 PM »

My DD is making herself one, it is over 20 feet and it is nearly done.  It have taken her 2 years so far and she plans to finish it by mid May when she wants to cos-play as the 4th Dr at a convention. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #791 on: April 01, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »

My DD is making herself one, it is over 20 feet and it is nearly done.  It have taken her 2 years so far and she plans to finish it by mid May when she wants to cos-play as the 4th Dr at a convention.

My mother was a fantastic knitter and got the pattern for that scarf a long time ago, as a gift from the local PBS station.  She made it, and after she died, I inherited the scarf and the pattern. 
Uh, I don't knit. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #792 on: April 01, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »
Now I want to learn to knit, to make a ruffled scarf!

Psychopoesie

« Reply #793 on: April 01, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »
I made a version of the scarf to help myself learn to knit. Although it was long enough in the end that I didn't add tassels. I didn't have a stash to work from plus I chose to use really nice wool. So it cost me a lot more than $80. It gives me the best feeling ever when I wear it though.

http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/s12.html

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #794 on: April 01, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
Now I want to learn to knit, to make a ruffled scarf!

You don't need to know how to knit in order to make a ruffled scarf.