Author Topic: Math Too Hard - Ordering Over the Phone  (Read 2960 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Math Too Hard - Ordering Over the Phone
« on: June 24, 2013, 11:43:02 AM »
I just called in a pizza order for a small group - there is a special today of $6 each for a one ingredient large pizza when you pick it up yourself.  (Added - six pizzas.)

I'm ordering it for a non-profit group and have the tax free letter, which I mentioned.

I got told a price of $38.41....I repeated that I had a tax free letter.  So it dropped to $38 even.

It feels like nobody knows their times tables any more......

Or they can't add.....and they aren't using the cash register, the adding machine, or the app on their phone.

I'm an old fogey AND the granddaughter of a math teacher (mother's mother)....it *bothers* me when people do things like that.....(show no awareness of how simple math works).

It's not like it's rocket science (ironically, I am in Houston, an hour away from the Johnson Space Center, as I say that)!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:24:19 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Syfygeek

Re: Math Too Hard - Ordering Over the Phone
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
$38.00 is correct, if you're ordering 6 whole pizzas, and one 1/3 pizza. 

That's both very funny and very sad!
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:52:33 AM »
I feel for you.  This weekend I was at a theme park and I bought a cotton candy ($3.75).  The young woman who sold it to me had to pull out a calculator to figure out how much change to give me, and I paid with a $5.

Math skills are not what they once were.  I remember being in elementary school and learning how to make change.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
I want to live where you live. A 1.1% sales tax would be awesome.  ;)  It's 9% where I live.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »
I got told a price of $38.41....I repeated that I had a tax free letter.  So it dropped to $38 even.

Or they can't add.....and they aren't using the cash register, the adding machine, or the app on their phone.

My guess is either that you purchased one that isn't covered under the deal, or else that something went wrong with the cash register (whether user error or otherwise). I'm pretty sure they're not just forgoing using the cash register!

I think this might be a Coffee Break topic though.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »

My guess is either that you purchased one that isn't covered under the deal, or else that something went wrong with the cash register (whether user error or otherwise). I'm pretty sure they're not just forgoing using the cash register!

If the OP was calling in the order and asking for the total at that time, the pizza person probably wasn't using the cash register. They don't do that until you pick up the pizzas. So if you ask for the total over the phone, they have to mentally add up the cost or use a calculator if they have one.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »
I want to live where you live. A 1.1% sales tax would be awesome.  ;)  It's 9% where I live.

It's about 8% here - but I was ordering for a school event (summer school event) and they are "tax-free" - so - no taxes.

Except the manager is the only one with the codes for the cash register application on the computer - and he was out of the store until 4 pm for a meeting......and the credit card machine was acting up.  I have to go back later to get the receipt straightened out....

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »

If the OP was calling in the order and asking for the total at that time, the pizza person probably wasn't using the cash register. They don't do that until you pick up the pizzas. So if you ask for the total over the phone, they have to mentally add up the cost or use a calculator if they have one.

Huh. I've never worked in a pizza place, but I did work at a different type of restaurant that had pickup, and we rung it up as we talked to the person. It gave the total, it made the order pop up on the screen for the people making food, then you suspended it in the computer till they got there. This was a while back, too, so I don't think it's bleeding edge technology. I thought most places probably did it like that.  ???

Steve

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »
Oh my, 1%, 8%... here it is 21%... so the math is a lot tougher ;)

LazyDaisy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »

It's about 8% here - but I was ordering for a school event (summer school event) and they are "tax-free" - so - no taxes.

Except the manager is the only one with the codes for the cash register application on the computer - and he was out of the store until 4 pm for a meeting......and the credit card machine was acting up.  I have to go back later to get the receipt straightened out....

Sorry, I was being a bit sarcastic. I know that sales tax is not 1.1% but for them to first quote you a price of $38.41 and then $38.00 without the sales tax, that would mean the tax (to them) was only 41 cents or approximately 1.1% of $38.00. I'm not sure where the math fail is exactly -- was the total before tax incorrect? did they initially calculate the tax wrong? Or when they had to remove the tax from the total and couldn't find a manager to override that function on the register, rather than try to figure it out, did they just round down thinking it would be "close enough"?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »

How many pizzas did you order?  I would have just told him 7 x 6 = $42 (or however many you ordered).  I wouldn't have just gone with his random number.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:21:30 PM »
Six times $6 ($5.99) should be six cents less than $36 ($35.94) - unless Snarky made the Bunny FooFoos.  She and Evil make them rather potent....

Then my dysgraphia gets worse and the numerals dance all over the page (paper or mental page).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:23:19 PM by VorFemme »

LazyDaisy

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 05:03:23 PM »
Ah, math fails all around, they just rounded down thinking it would be "close enough" but they are off by a few dollars so they can't even estimate properly.

$5.99 x 6 = $35.94 (subtotal) x .08 = $2.88 (you said you have about an 8% tax) + $35.94 = $38.81

Sales tax would need to be 6.9% to make the total $38.41 so I'm not sure they even got the original subtotal or tax correct.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
Ah, math fails all around, they just rounded down thinking it would be "close enough" but they are off by a few dollars so they can't even estimate properly.

$5.99 x 6 = $35.94 (subtotal) x .08 = $2.88 (you said you have about an 8% tax) + $35.94 = $38.81

Sales tax would need to be 6.9% to make the total $38.41 so I'm not sure they even got the original subtotal or tax correct.

Or possibly I either misheard or misremembered the cents after $38.....dancing numerals.....

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »

Or possibly I either misheard or misremembered the cents after $38.....dancing numerals.....

I didn't even think they were the real numbers anyway!  ;D Figured you'd made up some example numbers off the top of your head.