General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Math Too Hard - Ordering Over the Phone

(1/3) > >>

VorFemme:
I just called in a pizza order for a small group - there is a special today of $6 each for a one ingredient large pizza when you pick it up yourself.  (Added - six pizzas.)

I'm ordering it for a non-profit group and have the tax free letter, which I mentioned.

I got told a price of $38.41....I repeated that I had a tax free letter.  So it dropped to $38 even.

It feels like nobody knows their times tables any more......

Or they can't add.....and they aren't using the cash register, the adding machine, or the app on their phone.

I'm an old fogey AND the granddaughter of a math teacher (mother's mother)....it *bothers* me when people do things like that.....(show no awareness of how simple math works).

It's not like it's rocket science (ironically, I am in Houston, an hour away from the Johnson Space Center, as I say that)!

Syfygeek:
$38.00 is correct, if you're ordering 6 whole pizzas, and one 1/3 pizza. 

That's both very funny and very sad!

Sheila Take a Bow:
I feel for you.  This weekend I was at a theme park and I bought a cotton candy ($3.75).  The young woman who sold it to me had to pull out a calculator to figure out how much change to give me, and I paid with a $5.

Math skills are not what they once were.  I remember being in elementary school and learning how to make change.

LazyDaisy:
I want to live where you live. A 1.1% sales tax would be awesome.  ;)  It's 9% where I live.

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: VorFemme on June 24, 2013, 11:43:02 AM ---I got told a price of $38.41....I repeated that I had a tax free letter.  So it dropped to $38 even.

It feels like nobody knows their times tables any more......

Or they can't add.....and they aren't using the cash register, the adding machine, or the app on their phone.

--- End quote ---

My guess is either that you purchased one that isn't covered under the deal, or else that something went wrong with the cash register (whether user error or otherwise). I'm pretty sure they're not just forgoing using the cash register!

I think this might be a Coffee Break topic though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version