General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Math Too Hard - Ordering Over the Phone

<< < (3/3)

Shoo:

--- Quote from: VorFemme on June 24, 2013, 12:59:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: LazyDaisy on June 24, 2013, 11:53:55 AM ---I want to live where you live. A 1.1% sales tax would be awesome.  ;)  It's 9% where I live.

--- End quote ---

It's about 8% here - but I was ordering for a school event (summer school event) and they are "tax-free" - so - no taxes.

Except the manager is the only one with the codes for the cash register application on the computer - and he was out of the store until 4 pm for a meeting......and the credit card machine was acting up.  I have to go back later to get the receipt straightened out....

--- End quote ---

How many pizzas did you order?  I would have just told him 7 x 6 = $42 (or however many you ordered).  I wouldn't have just gone with his random number.

VorFemme:
Six times $6 ($5.99) should be six cents less than $36 ($35.94) - unless Snarky made the Bunny FooFoos.  She and Evil make them rather potent....

Then my dysgraphia gets worse and the numerals dance all over the page (paper or mental page).

LazyDaisy:
Ah, math fails all around, they just rounded down thinking it would be "close enough" but they are off by a few dollars so they can't even estimate properly.

$5.99 x 6 = $35.94 (subtotal) x .08 = $2.88 (you said you have about an 8% tax) + $35.94 = $38.81

Sales tax would need to be 6.9% to make the total $38.41 so I'm not sure they even got the original subtotal or tax correct.

VorFemme:

--- Quote from: LazyDaisy on June 24, 2013, 05:03:23 PM ---Ah, math fails all around, they just rounded down thinking it would be "close enough" but they are off by a few dollars so they can't even estimate properly.

$5.99 x 6 = $35.94 (subtotal) x .08 = $2.88 (you said you have about an 8% tax) + $35.94 = $38.81

Sales tax would need to be 6.9% to make the total $38.41 so I'm not sure they even got the original subtotal or tax correct.

--- End quote ---

Or possibly I either misheard or misremembered the cents after $38.....dancing numerals.....

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: VorFemme on June 24, 2013, 06:41:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: LazyDaisy on June 24, 2013, 05:03:23 PM ---Ah, math fails all around, they just rounded down thinking it would be "close enough" but they are off by a few dollars so they can't even estimate properly.

--- End quote ---

Or possibly I either misheard or misremembered the cents after $38.....dancing numerals.....

--- End quote ---

I didn't even think they were the real numbers anyway!  ;D Figured you'd made up some example numbers off the top of your head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version