General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Math Too Hard - Ordering Over the Phone

<< < (2/3) > >>

camlan:

--- Quote from: Yvaine on June 24, 2013, 12:01:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: VorFemme on June 24, 2013, 11:43:02 AM ---I got told a price of $38.41....I repeated that I had a tax free letter.  So it dropped to $38 even.

It feels like nobody knows their times tables any more......

Or they can't add.....and they aren't using the cash register, the adding machine, or the app on their phone.

--- End quote ---

My guess is either that you purchased one that isn't covered under the deal, or else that something went wrong with the cash register (whether user error or otherwise). I'm pretty sure they're not just forgoing using the cash register!

I think this might be a Coffee Break topic though.

--- End quote ---

If the OP was calling in the order and asking for the total at that time, the pizza person probably wasn't using the cash register. They don't do that until you pick up the pizzas. So if you ask for the total over the phone, they have to mentally add up the cost or use a calculator if they have one.

VorFemme:

--- Quote from: LazyDaisy on June 24, 2013, 11:53:55 AM ---I want to live where you live. A 1.1% sales tax would be awesome.  ;)  It's 9% where I live.

--- End quote ---

It's about 8% here - but I was ordering for a school event (summer school event) and they are "tax-free" - so - no taxes.

Except the manager is the only one with the codes for the cash register application on the computer - and he was out of the store until 4 pm for a meeting......and the credit card machine was acting up.  I have to go back later to get the receipt straightened out....

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: camlan on June 24, 2013, 12:13:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Yvaine on June 24, 2013, 12:01:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: VorFemme on June 24, 2013, 11:43:02 AM ---I got told a price of $38.41....I repeated that I had a tax free letter.  So it dropped to $38 even.

It feels like nobody knows their times tables any more......

Or they can't add.....and they aren't using the cash register, the adding machine, or the app on their phone.

--- End quote ---

My guess is either that you purchased one that isn't covered under the deal, or else that something went wrong with the cash register (whether user error or otherwise). I'm pretty sure they're not just forgoing using the cash register!

I think this might be a Coffee Break topic though.

--- End quote ---

If the OP was calling in the order and asking for the total at that time, the pizza person probably wasn't using the cash register. They don't do that until you pick up the pizzas. So if you ask for the total over the phone, they have to mentally add up the cost or use a calculator if they have one.

--- End quote ---

Huh. I've never worked in a pizza place, but I did work at a different type of restaurant that had pickup, and we rung it up as we talked to the person. It gave the total, it made the order pop up on the screen for the people making food, then you suspended it in the computer till they got there. This was a while back, too, so I don't think it's bleeding edge technology. I thought most places probably did it like that.  ???

Steve:
Oh my, 1%, 8%... here it is 21%... so the math is a lot tougher ;)

LazyDaisy:

--- Quote from: VorFemme on June 24, 2013, 12:59:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: LazyDaisy on June 24, 2013, 11:53:55 AM ---I want to live where you live. A 1.1% sales tax would be awesome.  ;)  It's 9% where I live.

--- End quote ---

It's about 8% here - but I was ordering for a school event (summer school event) and they are "tax-free" - so - no taxes.

Except the manager is the only one with the codes for the cash register application on the computer - and he was out of the store until 4 pm for a meeting......and the credit card machine was acting up.  I have to go back later to get the receipt straightened out....

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I was being a bit sarcastic. I know that sales tax is not 1.1% but for them to first quote you a price of $38.41 and then $38.00 without the sales tax, that would mean the tax (to them) was only 41 cents or approximately 1.1% of $38.00. I'm not sure where the math fail is exactly -- was the total before tax incorrect? did they initially calculate the tax wrong? Or when they had to remove the tax from the total and couldn't find a manager to override that function on the register, rather than try to figure it out, did they just round down thinking it would be "close enough"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version