Author Topic: Correct action or Over reaction?  (Read 14594 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Correct action or Over reaction?
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
I told this story to a few people over the weekend and I got different responses as to whether I was right or wrong so I thought I would throw it out to all of you. 

We have a neighborhood ice cream truck that rolls through a few times a day.  Over the last few years, their trucks have deteriorated to the point I am surprised they pass yearly inspections and the 2 different drivers that come through here do not look like your friendly good humor men.  One looks like every movie caricature of a pot head, and the other is a very slovenly scary looking guy (long greasy hair, dirty ill fitting clothes).  So the other day, I am doing yard work and younger DD (just turned 7 last week) is on the porch playing with her Barbie castle.  While the porch is not enclosed, there is a huge yew bush that blocks the whole front of it.  I told DD to stay put and I went down to my back yard to get something out of the garage..took about 2 minutes.  I heard the ice cream truck coming up the hill (I hate the song  turkey in the straw!!) as I started up the driveway (it is a hill).  DD is standing at the side railing of the porch so I guess dirty ice cream guy could see her but not me because of the neighbors bushes.  Ice cream man slows down and yells out the passenger window "Hey, you want some ice cream."  :o :o :o
DD says nothing, but I lost my head and I walked quickly the last few steps so he could see me (he got a scared look when he saw me) and I yelled "Why would you ask my child that?  She didn't wave to you and she is on her porch, not on the sidewalk waiting for you !  Don't you EVER stop near my house again!"  He quickly drove off and didn't even stop for the one little girl and her dad who do buy from him.  I did not call the company..yet, but wonder if I should and what should I say without outright accusing him of anything.

So, was I over reacting as a few friends suggested..one said he was doing his job.  Or was I correct in thinking he was wrong to solicit my DD when I feel he thought she was alone?  If it makes a difference, when my neighbors sons are out playing in the yard 6 doors down, he has never stopped just to ask them.

Eden

Re: Correct action or Over reaction?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »
I am of the "he's doing his job" mindset.

HyenaInPetticoats

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »

Why didn't you just say no thank you  :o

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:44:23 PM »
I don't see the problem. He is selling ice cream and asked if she wanted any. Just because he looks "scary" doesn't mean he is. I vote for doing his job.

Elessarion

• As I swam ashore, I dried myself to save time.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
Massive over-reaction and horribly rude as well. As the above poster said, why not just say "No thank you"?

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »
Massive over-reaction and horribly rude as well. As the above poster said, why not just say "No thank you"?

I agree. I think you way overreacted to the situtation. You could have even politely said you don't buy ice cream ever, but I do agree you were very rude.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Hillia

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »
I've never seen an ice cream truck driver call out to kids on the route.  Does he do this all the time? OP's reaction might be on the strong side but I wouldn't have been happy about it either.  My 'No thanks' would have been in a very cold tone.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

BarensMom

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:47:24 PM »
It may have been an over-reaction, but safety does trump etiquette.  Sometimes you just can't tell.

I remember back when I was a kid, my mother forbade me from going to the candy store across the street from the school.  I found out years later it was because the guy had been caught molesting young girls.

This was before registered offenders' lists or the "must stay XXX feet away from schools" rulings.

perpetua

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »
Massive overreaction with a healthy dose of paranoia thrown in for good measure. The guy was doing his job: trying to sell ice cream.

NyaChan

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »
I think you overreacted.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:17 PM »
Massive overreaction. Pretty judgmental as well.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
It may have been an over-reaction, but safety does trump etiquette.  Sometimes you just

That concept only really refers to situation of immediate danger to someone. This guy was in a van that was moving so safety trumps etiquette doesn't apply here IMO.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »
I'm going with major overreaction. No wonder he jumped when he saw you if you were storming over and raging at him. I can't imagine a guy in an ice cream truck luring children to his truck to kidnap and molest them if he's always on the same route. Complete stranger in a shabby van with ice cream spray painted on the side you've never seen before? Sure, rage away. You know this guy and his trucks. Horribly rude on your part.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
Let me rephrase to make sure I have the situation correct.

A small girl is standing on her front porch, at least partially out of sight, with no adult around that the man driving the ice cream truck can see.  So he stops and asks said young girl, who likely doesn't have any money of her own, if she wants ice cream.

While I think you might have been a bit over the top with your phrasing, I don't think you overreacted (and I don't have kids).  And the fact that the driver didn't even stop for regular customers indicates to me that he knew he screwed up, big time.

I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Amava

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 01:03:57 PM »
One looks like every movie caricature of a pot head, and the other is a very slovenly scary looking guy (long greasy hair, dirty ill fitting clothes).

/snip/... so I guess dirty ice cream guy..../snip/ 
Those are people you are talking about. Human beings who are trying to make a living.

DD is standing at the side railing of the porch Ice cream man slows down and yells out the passenger window "Hey, you want some ice cream."  :o :o :o
A very reasonable question. He probably thought /because/ she was standing there that she might have been trying to flag him down. But because she wasn't waving, he wasn't sure, so he asked.