Author Topic: Escalators  (Read 7905 times)

sunnygirl

Re: Escalators
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »
Reading all these posts here one thing is for sure. Not every city or country has apparently the same rules.
POD.
I guess this is one reason it's important to be aware of one's surroundings when in a new place, and to keep an eye open first for signs stating the rules, and second observing how the locals behave.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2013, 02:24:29 AM »
I think regardless of whether or not "stand on the right, walk on the left" (or some equivalent), it is never rude to walk on an escalator and politely say "Excuse me" to pass somebody, assuming that the escalator is wide enough to do so safely.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Xandraea

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
I think regardless of whether or not "stand on the right, walk on the left" (or some equivalent), it is never rude to walk on an escalator and politely say "Excuse me" to pass somebody, assuming that the escalator is wide enough to do so safely.

This brought us back to the OP's etiquette question which was essentially, "was I rude?".  I agree with MariaE, whenever someone is in your path, politely saying "excuse me" and giving them a moment to move aside where there's room, is not rude.

As other posters have mentioned, however, many escalators aren't wide enough to fit two people one one step, AND, escalator manufacturer OTIS instructs to stand in the center of the step, not to either side, for very valid safety reasons. I think escalators are so prevalent in modern times that they've become part of the scenery, and people forget they are indeed standing on moving heavy machinery, which is always a risk.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »
If, somebody is feeling like it could leave them unbalanced then simply saying "excuse me" and waiting for them to move could be problematic. By the time thry move.and you step past you might gain a couple steps at most on the average mall escalator.

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
If, somebody is feeling like it could leave them unbalanced then simply saying "excuse me" and waiting for them to move could be problematic. By the time thry move.and you step past you might gain a couple steps at most on the average mall escalator.

This is an argument against the potential payoff for saying "excuse me" and waiting to pass, but doesn't change the essential politeness of the action.

sunnygirl

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2013, 05:27:49 PM »
As other posters have mentioned, however, many escalators aren't wide enough to fit two people one one step, AND, escalator manufacturer OTIS instructs to stand in the center of the step, not to either side, for very valid safety reasons. I think escalators are so prevalent in modern times that they've become part of the scenery, and people forget they are indeed standing on moving heavy machinery, which is always a risk.
But on the flipside to that, many escalators (most that I've seen) are far too wide for one person to be able to stand safely in the middle (in the middle you'd be too far away from the handrail to be able to hold it or grab it in the event of a fall), and in some places it is an official written rule that one side is exclusively for walkers.

It really depends on what kind of escalator it is, a wide 'two-lane' one or a narrower 'single file' one. If someone was taking up an entire two-lane because of health reasons or whatever and couldn't move to one side, I'd hope people would accept that. In my experience people don't try to pass when it's someone taking up both sides because they have kids or crutches (just to give some examples), but wait patiently.
(Btw most of the escalators I use daily are pretty long - like 200 feet, so by standing the entire way you do 'lose' a minute or two, not just a few seconds.')
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 05:45:34 PM by sunnygirl »