Author Topic: Tipping for "extra mile" delivery service.  (Read 4083 times)

SiotehCat

Tipping for "extra mile" delivery service.
« on: June 24, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
I have a favorite Chinese restaurant that I order from. They are very good and I have always been satisfied. A coworker of mine, Ray, moved close to me and was asking who I order my take out from. He has had no luck finding a good carry out place. I told him "Awesome takeout" and he started using them.

At work, my coworkers order Chinese delivery a lot. Usually around 3 times a week. They aren't the best customers, and have been gone through a lot of different delivery places because of this. Work is about 10 miles from where I live. It takes me 15 minutes to get to work with no traffic.

Ray spoke to a lady at Awesome Takeout and asked her if they would deliver to our work. She agreed as long as they order over a certain amount. For the last few weeks, coworkers have been ordering from Awesome Takeout.

The problem: yesterday, three coworkers ordered from Awesome Takeout. Their total came out to $25. It took the driver 45 minutes approximately. After everyone has paid, the man gets upset and says that he drove a long way to deliver that. Everyone is kind of confused, so the man keeps shaking his head and says that this is the third time that he has driven this far and for this! He holds up the cash.

Sara speaks up and says that he shouldn't worry about it because we won't be calling Awesome Takeout ever again. Tina rushes up and tries to diffuse the situation. She says to him to explain the problem. She asks for the receipt and to see how much money he was given. He had $30 in one hand and a few dollar bills in the other. She didn't know how many bills, so we estimate his tip was somewhere between $6 and $10. She asks if that isn't enough for him, but the man is clearly upset and leaves.

I can understand the drivers frustration. He had to drive a long way on a Sunday. There probably weren't any other deliveries in our area at the time, because we are way out of their delivery radius. My coworkers think that the tip was reasonable.

What does ehell think? What is a reasonable tip for that kind of service?

I don't order delivery with them anymore and haven't for a while. They all know why.

Zizi-K

Re: Tipping for "extra mile" delivery service.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
I'm confused why it took the driver 45 minutes when it only takes you 15...

A $6 tip on $25 would have been a "good" tip - it's over 20%. A $10 tip on that amount is an 'over the top' tip.

When you said that you 'no longer order with them', did you mean your coworkers or the takeout place?

Because I don't think your coworkers were out of line at all, and the delivery man definitely was. If anything, he needs to take up the issues with the restaurant owner and should refuse to deliver the order if it doesn't make sense for him. It was wrong of him to protest the tip amount, especially as it was already generous. If it's not worth his while (and it may very well not be), the person to direct that complaint to certainly isn't the customer.

cwm

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »
I'm personally of two minds on this. There is a delivery surcharge built in most places to cover the cost to deliver the food. However, it's a service that's being provided to get the food to you, whever you may be. I always tip a delivery driver or server, or even the bartender who gets my to go order ready when I pick up lunch at the local pub, but I know people who don't, for various reasons.

For delivery, if the food gets there hot and within a reasonable amount of time I'll do what I do with servers and tip about 20-25%. If the food isn't so hot any longer or it takes longer than promised (excluding reasonable traffic problems), then I cut it down to 15% or so.

Question: did the DELIVERY take 45 minutes itself, or was it 45 minutes from when you called the order in? If it was 45 minutes on the road, that could be a problem and why people didn't tip so well. If the whole order was ready in 45 minutes and it was for a large group, that makes a bit more sense.

In any case, $10 tip for a $25 food bill? Absolutely over the top acceptable. $6 is acceptable. I probably would have given him $30 and told him to call it good, and that would be good enough. That's still 20% of the bill. It sounds like this delivery driver was being unreasonable in what he should be getting tipped. Yes, it's outside their regular delivery radius, but that doesn't automatically mean he gets more money from you.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »
He got a good tip.  If he didn't want to deliver, that's on the restaurant as an employee from the Awesome place agreed to deliver. 

I wouldn't order from this "awesome" place anymore either!

SiotehCat

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »
To answer some questions...

My coworkers are the ones that I won't order with. They are difficult customers and they usually tip poorly. DS and I order from Awesome Takeout often.

45 minutes was the total amount of wait time. I don't know how much of that was driving time and how much was food prep. 15 minutes is the usual amount of time it takes with no traffic. I live in the DC metro area, so we get traffic every now and then.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »
Here delivery fees are determined by the distance the driver has to go - so if I order from a store far away I'm charged accordingly. Is it different in the states?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

SleepyKitty

• Quid plura?
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »
There probably weren't any other deliveries in our area at the time, because we are way out of their delivery radius.

For a normal delivery, I agree the $6 tip would be plenty. However, to play devil's advocate - drivers don't get to chose their deliveries. They get told where they've got to go, and they've just got to do it - the person who agreed to deliver to the business was almost certainly not the person who actually had to drive. This driver drove "way out" of the delivery radius, and thus lost out on possible other tips (if he had to make one long trip, with no other deliveries, vs. short trips or a trip with multiple deliveries). He also was using more of his resources (I'm basing this on the fact that drivers in my region use their own car and gas money to make the deliveries, for which they get a base hourly wage plus tips - it may not be like that in other areas).

So, compared to the other drivers at the takeout place, he's going farther, using more time, and using more gas, so even a normal tip of say 15%-20% is not a good tip to *him*, because of all the extra effort and time involved with the delivery, even if it's a good tip to the tipper.

With that having been said, is that your problem? No, not really. It's the business's problem for having agreed to deliver to you. You don't *have* to go above and beyond fo this guy. But the take out place is going above and beyond for you, by agreeing to deliver at all, and if this place is that awesome, to me it would be worth it to throw in a few extra dollars to compensate the driver, since everyone wins but him in this scenario. Even more so if you order often from them.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »
It sounds like a good tip to me.  I will tip a little extra for bad weather or a long drive, but the $6-10 is already the "extra" (especially if it was closer to $10).  45 minutes is also a normal wait time when I order takeout (or even on the fast spectrum).  So in a case like this, where the driver gets upset over a very reasonable tip, I wouldn't order from the place again.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
I also live in the DC metro area and that seems like a pretty reasonable tip.  Most places I know have a delivery radius of X number of miles and I've lived in the District, NoVa, and Montgomery County.  Also, the person who took the order over the phone had to take down the full address including zip code so they had some idea of where you were located before they got off the phone with the order placer.

It's not your job to enforce boundaries they aren't willing to set.

Fleur

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 03:25:08 AM »

I don't know why you are blaming your co-workers, OP. In my opinion, the driver was very rude and entitled. He is paid to do a job, and was given and adequate to generous tip on top. Had I been his employer, and news of his rant came to me, he wouldn't have had to worry long about how long his drive was.

Curious Cat

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »

I don't know why you are blaming your co-workers, OP. In my opinion, the driver was very rude and entitled. He is paid to do a job, and was given and adequate to generous tip on top. Had I been his employer, and news of his rant came to me, he wouldn't have had to worry long about how long his drive was.

Yeah I don't blame your coworker one bit for saying they won't be ordering from that place anymore I sure as heck will not pay for the privilege of being scolded by a delivery guy - especially when he did get a really nice tip!

saki

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 07:36:50 AM »
What do you mean by 'outside their delivery radius'? If they have a policy and are making an exception because you're regular customers, then I would be inclined to tip well. Probably 10 on a 25 dollar bill. But it sounds like your coworkers did something on that order - in fact, if he had 30 in one hand and 'a few' bills in the other, his tip must nhave been more like 8-12. Am a bit confused about what you think they should have done differently. If the delivery guy is unhappy with his terms and conditions, he should take it up with his boss, not with customers.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:40:11 AM by saki »

peaches

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »
Where I live, restaurants have a set delivery area (and it's not that large). I would expect to tip about 25% for a delivery.

If the restaurant is so far from the office that delivery personnel are frustrated, that's a problem for the owner to solve.

I would (1) talk to the owner about the rudeness of the delivery person and/or (2) find a restaurant that's closer. Perhpas the distance isn't practical for frequent deliveries. I wouldn't want to pay a premium in tips on a regular basis (due to distance). And for working people, faster delivery could be a definite plus.

SiotehCat

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 10:15:34 AM »
What do you mean by 'outside their delivery radius'? If they have a policy and are making an exception because you're regular customers, then I would be inclined to tip well. Probably 10 on a 25 dollar bill. But it sounds like your coworkers did something on that order - in fact, if he had 30 in one hand and 'a few' bills in the other, his tip must nhave been more like 8-12. Am a bit confused about what you think they should have done differently. If the delivery guy is unhappy with his terms and conditions, he should take it up with his boss, not with customers.

The delivery radius is 3 miles. We were 10 miles.

He had a few $1 bills in his other hand. We estimated his tip was somewhere between $6 and $10.

Personally, I think they were wrong to order from Awesome Takeout if they couldn't tip him $10. I am pretty sure he didn't get $10.

A couple of people were upset with the coworker who said that we wouldn't be ordering from that place anymore. That wasn't her call to make.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »

I agree.