Author Topic: Tipping for "extra mile" delivery service.  (Read 4082 times)

Curious Cat

Re: Tipping for "extra mile" delivery service.
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 10:56:02 AM »
What do you mean by 'outside their delivery radius'? If they have a policy and are making an exception because you're regular customers, then I would be inclined to tip well. Probably 10 on a 25 dollar bill. But it sounds like your coworkers did something on that order - in fact, if he had 30 in one hand and 'a few' bills in the other, his tip must nhave been more like 8-12. Am a bit confused about what you think they should have done differently. If the delivery guy is unhappy with his terms and conditions, he should take it up with his boss, not with customers.

The delivery radius is 3 miles. We were 10 miles.

He had a few $1 bills in his other hand. We estimated his tip was somewhere between $6 and $10.

Personally, I think they were wrong to order from Awesome Takeout if they couldn't tip him $10. I am pretty sure he didn't get $10.

A couple of people were upset with the coworker who said that we wouldn't be ordering from that place anymore. That wasn't her call to make.

That's ridiculous - If the company is willing to make deliveries 10 miles away, that means their delivery range is 10 miles.  I applaud your coworker and I definitely think it was her place to say "no we will not order from a company where the staff is going to yell at us" frankly I'm boggled that you think she didn't have the right to do so.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »
What do you mean by 'outside their delivery radius'? If they have a policy and are making an exception because you're regular customers, then I would be inclined to tip well. Probably 10 on a 25 dollar bill. But it sounds like your coworkers did something on that order - in fact, if he had 30 in one hand and 'a few' bills in the other, his tip must nhave been more like 8-12. Am a bit confused about what you think they should have done differently. If the delivery guy is unhappy with his terms and conditions, he should take it up with his boss, not with customers.

He had a few $1 bills in his other hand. We estimated his tip was somewhere between $6 and $10.

Personally, I think they were wrong to order from Awesome Takeout if they couldn't tip him $10. I am pretty sure he didn't get $10.

A couple of people were upset with the coworker who said that we wouldn't be ordering from that place anymore. That wasn't her call to make.

Why did they accept the order if it was so far outside their delivery radius? This is all on them - I wouldn't order from them again either.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

SiotehCat

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 11:08:13 AM »

That's ridiculous - If the company is willing to make deliveries 10 miles away, that means their delivery range is 10 miles.  I applaud your coworker and I definitely think it was her place to say "no we will not order from a company where the staff is going to yell at us" frankly I'm boggled that you think she didn't have the right to do so.

She didn't have the right to say that. She isn't the head of our department and she wasn't speaking for the majority.

They made an exception for us. That does not mean that their new delivery radius is 10 miles. I brought that up because during that delivery, it's very unlikely he would have been able to make other deliveries.

I can't ask someone to spend a round trip total of 30 minites( at least) on me and not tip them well.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »

Just because she said it doesn't mean you or anyone else has to pay attention.  If you want to order from there, you can pick up the phone and call.  She may not order from there for herself or on behalf of the company, but her word is not the law.

Poppea

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »

She didn't have the right to say that. She isn't the head of our department and she wasn't speaking for the majority.

They made an exception for us. That does not mean that their new delivery radius is 10 miles. I brought that up because during that delivery, it's very unlikely he would have been able to make other deliveries.

I can't ask someone to spend a round trip total of 30 minites( at least) on me and not tip them well.

I would consider a $10 tip on a $25 order to be a very very good tip.  The delivery range is 3 miles.  You are 10 miles away, so he went 7 miles out of his delivery area.  20 minutes out of his way is my guess. 

The delivery guy was way out of line by complaining anyway.  If he thought your office was cheap he should have complained to his manager.  The manager could have told your group that in the future there would be an delivery surcharge for being out of area.

mich3554

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
If the delivery is not in the normal area and 10 miles away, the driver made a special trip for you.  That is 20 miles to and from your business, or about one gallon of gas at $4/gallon.  Chances are, you were the only stop I that 30+ minutes he was on the road.

Subtract his gas costs and it is a $6 tip, provided it was a $25 bill and the tip was $10.

I think if your business wants them to deliver again, you might have to at least ante up gas money on top of a tip in order to make it worth the driver's while to go7 miles outside of his normal delivery range.

FWIW.....45 min is not a long time, especially if you consider the distance they have to drive and cook the food too.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »
FWIW.....45 min is not a long time, especially if you consider the distance they have to drive and cook the food too.

Especially in the DC metro area, where traffic jams are pretty much a way of life.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

PastryGoddess

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »
If the delivery is not in the normal area and 10 miles away, the driver made a special trip for you.  That is 20 miles to and from your business, or about one gallon of gas at $4/gallon.  Chances are, you were the only stop I that 30+ minutes he was on the road.

Subtract his gas costs and it is a $6 tip, provided it was a $25 bill and the tip was $10.

I think if your business wants them to deliver again, you might have to at least ante up gas money on top of a tip in order to make it worth the driver's while to go7 miles outside of his normal delivery range.

I think it's on the restaurant to impose a delivery surcharge to mitigate the extra expenses and lack of income for their driver.  It's not my job to make sure that the restaurant is fiscally responsible and is charging enough money to cover their operating expenses.  If the restaurant made an exception for you to drive the extra 7 miles each way, then they need to make sure they can afford to do so. 

Also, how much more of a tip did the driver want?  I'm sure he wouldn't have turned down a $20 if you had given it to him.  This is why the restaurant should impose the extra charge so that the driver would not feel like he was wasting his time and gas for such a long ride. 

Arrynne

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »
The tip amount seemed fine.   The restaurant should have charged an extra delivery fee for going so far out of their normal delivery radius.

The delivery driver was out of line for getting visibly upset. 

saki

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »

What I was trying to say is that I think your estimate of the tip is on the low side.  If the food came to 25 and he was holding 30 in one hand, that means he had a 5 dollar tip in one hand.  And then 'a few' dollar bills in the other means that it must have been more than 6 dollars (or he'd have had just one dollar bill in the other hand.)  It sounds like he must have had a minimum of 8 (i.e. three dollar bills in the other hand) and quite possibly more.  I don't really get why you're so certain that he couldn't have had 10 because, based on your description, it doesn't sound like it's that unlikely that he had 5 in his other hand (which plus the change from the 30) would make 10 in total.  Apologies if I'm missing something
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:27:33 PM by saki »

CluelessBride

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »
The tip amount seemed fine.   The restaurant should have charged an extra delivery fee for going so far out of their normal delivery radius.

I agree that the driver was out of line for getting upset at the customer. However, he is probably getting what he wants: the customer to stop ordering and making him drive out of his way and lose money. Because for the above and beyond service, the tip was far from generous. The If you linger at your table in a busy restaurant for an hour after you've finished eating, it is polite to tip extra to cover the income lost by your server not being able to serve another table - this is the same thing.

Most drivers pay for their own gas and use their own car. Current mileage reimbursement (which takes into account wear and tear on the car in addition to gas) is just over 50 cents/mile (US). 7 miles past the delivery radius in each direction equates to $7 additional expense ($10 total) for the delivery. So a $10 tip is break even.  Anything less and he is losing money.  Is the customer required to fix this? No more than they are required to make sure a waitress gets minimum wage or required to tip at all. But you don't get to ignore the economic facts and pretend you (general) are being generous when you aren't.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »

I agree that the driver was out of line for getting upset at the customer. However, he is probably getting what he wants: the customer to stop ordering and making him drive out of his way and lose money. Because for the above and beyond service, the tip was far from generous. The If you linger at your table in a busy restaurant for an hour after you've finished eating, it is polite to tip extra to cover the income lost by your server not being able to serve another table - this is the same thing.

Most drivers pay for their own gas and use their own car. Current mileage reimbursement (which takes into account wear and tear on the car in addition to gas) is just over 50 cents/mile (US). 7 miles past the delivery radius in each direction equates to $7 additional expense ($10 total) for the delivery. So a $10 tip is break even.  Anything less and he is losing money.  Is the customer required to fix this? No more than they are required to make sure a waitress gets minimum wage or required to tip at all. But you don't get to ignore the economic facts and pretend you (general) are being generous when you aren't.

The responsibility of the customer is to tip on the amount.  So anything over $5 is a very generous tip.  I'd say $8 is an extremely generous tip on a $25 tab. 

The responsibility of the employer is to make sure his employee is compensated fairly, which includes taking into account how far the employee is driving to make the store's deliveries.  It is not the responsibility of the customer to do this. 

The only math that I, as a customer, expect to ever have to do or ever WILL do is calculate that 20% tip.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
POD what Shoo said

CluelessBride

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »
But by that logic, it would be overly generous to go to a restaurant, order a $2 coffee that comes with free refills, sit at the table for 2 hours and then tip 50 cents (25%, so it must be generous).

I'm not saying its necessarily rude to tip poorly or that the customer is obligated to make up for a business not paying its employees (and I know that is a very heated topic here anyway). But its not just about percentages.

I'd feel differently if the delivery area were actually 10 miles - because that would mean the driver knew this when he started and the store was compensating him appropriately or structuring it so that he had other deliveries.  But in this case the store was making an exception.  And if it were in the delivery area, I would agree that the customer shouldn't have to do additional math. But when you are asking for and receiving a favor, I think you have to do the extra math if you want to call yourself generous.

NyaChan

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
POD what Shoo said

POD here too.

The restaurant chose to take the order and send the delivery man out there without imposing any extra charge.  The customers tipped as expected (if not a little extra as it seems to me over 20% when they normally aren't great tippers).  The driver's fight should have been with his employer, not the customer who was not at fault.