Author Topic: Tipping for "extra mile" delivery service.  (Read 4066 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Tipping for "extra mile" delivery service.
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
But by that logic, it would be overly generous to go to a restaurant, order a $2 coffee that comes with free refills, sit at the table for 2 hours and then tip 50 cents (25%, so it must be generous).

I'm not saying its necessarily rude to tip poorly or that the customer is obligated to make up for a business not paying its employees (and I know that is a very heated topic here anyway). But its not just about percentages.

I'd feel differently if the delivery area were actually 10 miles - because that would mean the driver knew this when he started and the store was compensating him appropriately or structuring it so that he had other deliveries.  But in this case the store was making an exception.  And if it were in the delivery area, I would agree that the customer shouldn't have to do additional math. But when you are asking for and receiving a favor, I think you have to do the extra math if you want to call yourself generous.

I think we need to hear from OP as to whether or not this was a favor.  If the order placer gave the address with no pushback from the restaurant, then I don't think it constitutes a favor.  The restaurant was ok with where they were located and therefore made the decision to take the order without asking for a surcharge.

However, if the order placer did receive push back from the restaurant about the location and requested a special trip outside of the usual delivery zone, then I think there there may be something to the idea that there needs to be a little bit higher tip as a thank you.

I know that I was reading it as a very straightforward transaction.  Call - order - delivery with no special requests or favors done on either side. 

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
I don't see the restaurant as "doing a favor" considering they are getting business from the employees.  Obviously, they made the call to deliver to them. 

Pod Shoo.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »
Several PPs have commented that the driver missed out on additional tips by driving to the OP's workplace instead of taking several shorter trips or a trip with multiple deliveries. However, the OP said:
Ray spoke to a lady at Awesome Takeout and asked her if they would deliver to our work. She agreed as long as they order over a certain amount. For the last few weeks, coworkers have been ordering from Awesome Takeout.

If I were the customer, I would assume that meant that an order of at least X amount was a large enough bill to make up for the extra time and distance for the delivery.* If the minimum order is $X, then I assume an $X order takes up similar time and resources to several smaller orders of $Y that would normally be served in the same time. Since the tip is a percentage of the bill, it would increase accordingly to compensate the driver. It's possible that the restaurant calculated incorrectly, forgot to account for traffic delays, or considered only the impact on the kitchen rather than the driver (but then why would the distance matter at all?). All unfortunate errors, but not something the customer should expect to account for. The customer asked "Do you deliver here?", was told the conditions for doing so, and met those conditions. If those conditions don't adequately compensate the driver, then that's something he should take up with his boss.

*OP, can you give us a ballpark cost for a typical one-person order from this place? I'm curious how much the minimum order for 10 miles differs from a typical order. Do they have minimum order for normal deliveries (within 3 miles) or a delivery fee of some sort?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
I don't see the restaurant as "doing a favor" considering they are getting business from the employees.  Obviously, they made the call to deliver to them. 

Pod Shoo.

I meant doing a favor by driving outside of their regular delivery radius.  Not doing a favor by taking their money :)

Although I did miss the part where the OP said that they agreed to deliver as long as they ordered over a certain amount.  In that case, I still am POD'ing Shoo