Author Topic: S/O Series that have been a huge disappointment - TV series  (Read 7406 times)

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
Re: S/O Series that have been a huge disappointment - TV series
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »
Warehouse 13

I had such high hopes for it... I thought that it would be like the big exposition/explaination of the warehouse of boxes at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".  And it... kind of was?  But not enough.... and then there was too much interpersonal soap-opera drama, and too many random other characters pulled in, and I just lost interest....  I just wanted an action/adventure show!

X-Files. 

The first couple of seasons where it was a monster a week were great.  But then they started going off of the rails with the overarching conspiracies and the black ooze and I stopped watching when the interpersonal drama between Scully and Mulder got to be too much to bear and Mulder's mysterious past with his parents and abducted sister got to be too much to bear....

The bolded is exactly why I stopped watching Supernatural and Fringe.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »
That 70's Show should have ended when Eric and Kelso left.

Oh, so much this.  Although it was starting to slip even before, when they turned Eric into a total deadbeat.  DH and I own the DVD sets right up to the almost-wedding and then stopped because we just couldn't watch the later episodes--especially the ones with Poochie Randy.  If we could buy the series finale without having to buy the whole season, though, we would.  :D

(I sometimes wonder if That 70s Show actually did the gosh-awful Randy thing on purpose, to make fun of other shows during the 70s that did similar gimmicks.  If they did...they did it wrong.)

Also, Smallville for me starting going downhill when they introduced Lois Lane.  I could not stand her.  I really wish they'd just made Chloe the new Lois instead.  By the end, the only reason I kept up with the show was because of Justin Hartley.  Mmmm....
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 11:00:13 AM »
Bones.

The first 4 maybe 5 seasons were great, but then when the show got eaten by the pregnancies I was done.
No matter where you go, there you are...

magicdomino

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »

X-Files. 

The first couple of seasons where it was a monster a week were great.  But then they started going off of the rails with the overarching conspiracies and the black ooze and I stopped watching when the interpersonal drama between Scully and Mulder got to be too much to bear and Mulder's mysterious past with his parents and abducted sister got to be too much to bear....

Same here.  It reached the point where I would watch the first 5 or 10 minutes.  If the episode was a stand-alone one with a weird event, I'd watch it.  If we were going into conspiracy land, I'd turn off the TV and find something else to do.

May I nominate Revolution?  The concept was interesting, but between the violation of laws of physics, and the incredibly annoying teenaged girl, I gave up after 5 or 6 episodes.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
Merlin.  Started so awesome.  Such a disappointment by the end.
The Borgias.  It had it all in the first season, but I didn't even bother watching the last season.

marksgirl

• Life is Made Up of Tiny Miracles
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
Fringe was great until the last season which I had to force myself to watch just to see how it ended. It was horrible and I found myself dozing off at points.

"Sometimes I wish I could freeze the picture and save it from the funny tricks of time"-ABBA

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
Passions after Josh Ryan Evans / Timmy died

ScubaGirl

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
Considering just recent shows, I gave up on "Revolution" and the second season of "American Horror Story".

heartmug

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »
I really wanted to like The Americans because I have liked everything else Keri Russell has been in but I hate that show.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 12:21:06 PM »
Bones the pregancies don't bother me - they had to do something since the lead was pregnant. The latest serial killer - I'm so sick of him. Booth and Max need to hunt him down and kill him.

Some series x-files, supernatural were great but went on to long.

The Profiler and the Pretender had great ideas but they got bogged down with trying to stretch it out over seasons rather than telling the story from beginning to end. Filler crime of the week episode followed by an arch episode confused people. (Not having streaming available also hurt them because you couldn't go back and watch from the beginning so you could understand the arch).

I wish we would go back to some miniseries. Some shows - especially in the science fiction and fantasy genre need limits and need to obey their own rules.

If you are going to be a monster/crime of the week show - fine be a monster/crime of the week show. I enjoy that.

If you are going to have an over arching theme - then plan it as a miniseries. Plan it out beginning middle and end have the network or better Netflix/Amazon/Hulu buy the whole thing. Put in online/on air and let me watch it knowing I get to see your ending. I don't have to fear fox/Sci-fi or other network pulling the rug out from under us and cancelling  - or worse putting the epis in a different order, forcing editing out stuff they don't like and then cancelling the show because it is to hard to follow doesn't make sense. 

I'm hoping streaming will make it easier for great storyteller to tell their stories.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 12:28:42 PM »
Bones.

The first 4 maybe 5 seasons were great, but then when the show got eaten by the pregnancies I was done.

I hated this one from the first episode. Mainly because the main character was nothing like the one in the books the show is based on. I figured the book character was too "old" and not hip enough for target audience, whatever that may be, and the network figured if they put someone younger, and presumeably better looking in, it woudl get better ratings.

I also loved Gray's Anatomy, and ER, and many other shows, in the beginning. But some of them just go on so long, and the story lines get so ludicrous, i stop watching. I don't ahve much time to watch tv to begin with, so committing to a series is difficult.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
Warehouse 13

I had such high hopes for it... I thought that it would be like the big exposition/explaination of the warehouse of boxes at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark".  And it... kind of was?  But not enough.... and then there was too much interpersonal soap-opera drama, and too many random other characters pulled in, and I just lost interest....  I just wanted an action/adventure show!

I love Warehouse 13 because there is so little violence, and I do like the characters. I am often disappointed with sci-fi shows because they morph into gratuitous violence and action!

Often I watch just the first half of shows to see the setup, and then change to something else. I can't think of any specific ones right now, of course :), but I do find our opinions interesting.

I'm still sad about Eureka!. They fiddled with it too much, then seemed to get back on track, then discontinued it. Sob.

Elementary is just weird. I wish they hadn't stressed the Holmes aspect and just called the characters new and gone on. Then I might have liked it.

Shalamar

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
Heroes.  I was obsessed with the series during Season 1 - in fact, when I accidentally forgot to tape one episode (pre-PVR days), it ruined my entire week.   :)  Then came Season 2, and I couldn't believe how bad it had gotten.  Lord, that was a disappointment.

Mollie

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 02:40:40 PM »
Knots Landing-It was a great soap until Abby left, then they had villians of the week type of characters with no depth. And it morphed into The Sumner Group Show.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »
CSI.  DH and I used to watch it a lot but then after a while we both lost interest.  I do like Ted Danson but I think after the season with Laurence Fishburne and that serial killer, Dh really lost interest in the series.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata