Author Topic: S/O Series that have been a huge disappointment - TV series  (Read 6667 times)

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
Re: S/O Series that have been a huge disappointment - TV series
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2013, 08:48:24 PM »
Treme - too many storylines stretched too thin - they should have made it like The Wire and dug deep into one strand of people in each series.

Since we're from New Orleans originally, my son and I were very much looking forward to Treme.  We lost interest within 2-3 episodes though.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2013, 08:54:26 PM »
Once Upon A Time - Okay, this was vaguely interesting for a few episodes.  I watch until around the time Jimeny comes in, and just give up because I don't feel like watching it anymore.  My BF still bugs me to watch it, points out a nerd news blogger called it the best piece of Disney fanfic ever, but I don't know.  If I wasn't interested in continuing it then, why now?

Sliders - It's still great, so long as you pretend that the first two seasons are all there are, and make up your own ending in a fanfic. :) I'm sort of glad that Artuo from the first Earth (not his evil twin) is still technically around (so says Torme, and there is a little evidence in the show to prove it.)  At least he escaped the madness of the later seasons.

Quantum Leap- Both great and bad.  I'm not dissing it too much, as I quite like the series, but I can also see where others could say it went wrong.  Unlike a PP, I quite liked the ending, and thought it was quite nice, and a good sequel hook, if one should ever (formerly) exist.

Otherworld- Okay, I had to find and watch this one myself, since it was around shortly before I was. :) Eight episodes and that's the truth, with a potential ninth out there.  Family is exploring ancient Egyptian ruins, during a very specific planetary alignment; the pyramid they are in gets hit by lightning, and they end up transported to a new planet that is sectioned off into separate zones, with no man's land separating each one, and the family, with access to a high level keycard (data crystal) on the run from the planet's government, discovering each new zone.  They all have separate cultures and rules, and are essentially treated as nations under a dystopian government.  Very good concept, but it ended up flopping and was never heard from again (mostly.)  Dealt mainly with the family learning how to integrate with a new zone each episode, and trying to find a way back to Earth.

daen

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »
Bones.

The first 4 maybe 5 seasons were great, but then when the show got eaten by the pregnancies I was done.

I hated this one from the first episode. Mainly because the main character was nothing like the one in the books the show is based on. I figured the book character was too "old" and not hip enough for target audience, whatever that may be, and the network figured if they put someone younger, and presumeably better looking in, it woudl get better ratings.

I also loved Gray's Anatomy, and ER, and many other shows, in the beginning. But some of them just go on so long, and the story lines get so ludicrous, i stop watching. I don't ahve much time to watch tv to begin with, so committing to a series is difficult.

Occasionally I will watch Bones, but I'm finding it less and less pleasant. I'm okay with the main character being different from the book - it irks me a little, but the industry tends to do that sort of thing. The storylines are usually good, but Bones herself doesn't make sense as a character - I can't picture her knowing enough about human nature to be able to write best-selling novels, for one thing. The everlasting relationship overlay over everything gets old, too. One larger-than-life dramatic relationship? Sure, bring it on - in small doses. Everyone in the lab being blatantly on the hunt or on the make? Please stop. Stop now.

Apparently I dislike the show more than I realized.

As for X-files - it went on far too long. The writers had planned out the story arc, then agreed to more seasons, and ended up haphazardly nailing bits and pieces to the original conspiracy idea to make it last longer. They contradicted themselves a few times along the way. I also had trouble with Scully being the believer and Mulder or Doggett being the skeptic - it didn't sit right. I would still consider re-watching episodes from the first few seasons, but I would be selective, more so as one gets further into the series.

But Mulder was the believer and Scully was the skeptic. I stopped watching before they left the show because i just couldn't stand to see it go downhill anymore.

I know. I think that's why the times when Mulder & Scully reversed roles never seemed right to me. Once Mulder vanished and Doggett stepped in, Scully veered more to the believer side of things. We will not speak of the agent with the perma-smile who didn't dis-believe, or however she put it.
/end threadjack

KB

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2013, 09:20:29 PM »
The Profiler and the Pretender had great ideas but they got bogged down with trying to stretch it out over seasons rather than telling the story from beginning to end. Filler crime of the week episode followed by an arch episode confused people. (Not having streaming available also hurt them because you couldn't go back and watch from the beginning so you could understand the arch).

Very true, particularly about the latter, but have you heard about this yet: https://www.facebook.com/PretenderCreators

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »
The Profiler and the Pretender had great ideas but they got bogged down with trying to stretch it out over seasons rather than telling the story from beginning to end. Filler crime of the week episode followed by an arch episode confused people. (Not having streaming available also hurt them because you couldn't go back and watch from the beginning so you could understand the arch).

Very true, particularly about the latter, but have you heard about this yet: https://www.facebook.com/PretenderCreators

Is this really a thing?  Please tell me this is really going to be a thing.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

KB

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 08:04:31 AM »

Is this really a thing?  Please tell me this is really going to be a thing.

From everything I've read, it's really going to be a thing, but I'm sitting here with fingers and toes crossed, waiting to find how the whats, whens and wherefors...

Pen^2

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
Terra Nova. Advanced future humans go back in time to co-exist with dinosaurs in a parallel universe... and yet they managed to make it rubbish. The biggest redeeming feature was Stephen Lang.

Also, Game of Thrones. Everyone told us to watch it, so my husband and I sat down one night to see what was up. But I just couldn't get into it, even after sitting through six episodes. I think it's because I find anything resembling politics to be frustratingly depressing. My husband loves it, though, and is now an avid fan. So I'm quite happy in the end.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »

No I hadn't thanks for the link.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

strawbabies

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »

The new version of One Life To Live. Gah, it makes me want to stick a spork in my eye
I know!  I watched for the first couple of weeks.  But it's just not the same show that I loved for all those years, so I gave up.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:40:36 PM by strawbabies »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »
I tried, but couldn't watch these:
Lost
American Horror Story
Grey's Anatomy

Fringe, we watched for two seasons then got lost with all the different parallel story lines.

angilamae

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »
West Wing after Aaron Sorkin left.
The last season, with the election, was amazing. Did Sorkin return? I stopped watching it for a while, too.

My main issue with the last season was all my faves were gone and Josh and Donna getting together.  I didnt watch 6th season at all becuase Season 5 was a bit boring and too much Donna (I dont like her if you can't tell :) ). 
I can resist everything except temptation-Oscar Wilde

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 10:25:49 PM »
M*A*S*H*.  The first seasons with Henry Blake were classic, but gradually it got very preachy.

Colonel Potter has always been my favorite. Henry Blake was always bumbling around; it was annoying. The episodes with Colonel Potter and Charles Winchester, before Alan Alda really got heavyhanded with the Moral of the Week, are the best ones for me.

I came back to it in the end, but there was a time when I couldn't watch ER. I'm not sure what it was, but when they sent Carter to Africa, it just didn't seem to belong. I know George Clooney was doing a lot of work with African genocide awareness at the time, and I think he was a producer so it was a way to get the information out there, but it just completely took me out of the show. It got better after a while, though. Same thing with Law & Order. I used to watch it, but then there came a time when the first crime was never the one they were solving at the end. It would always start out as a murder but then end with them taking on a multinational corporation or something only very tangentially related to the first murder and almost certainly not the job of NYPD homicide detectives. SVU did this too, but for some reason it was easier to stick with them.

Primeval. Started out great but went off the rails around the end of series 2.

Heroes. Again, started out great, but then got totally thrown off because of the writer's strike. It's like they were rushed into finishing up that storyline and just couldn't get back into the groove once they were back in production.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:21:28 AM by ica171 »

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2013, 10:47:59 PM »
Brothers & Sisters! I enjoyed the first couple of seasons, then it got a bit dark but I thought they'd cheer it up. By the end I was pretty well convinced that the writers hated the cast and wanted them to suffer. I don't think I actually watched the last season, come to think of it. Normally I'd at least wiki and see how it ended but meh, I don't really care.

I gave up on Grey's Anatomy the 3rd or 4th time the main couple split up for some dumb reason. That was probably half way through the 2nd season?

I tried but I just can't get into Breaking Bad. It's so DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA!! It actually stressed me out which is the opposite of my goal when I watch tv.

How I Met Your Mother. It needed to end a long time ago. The Office pushed it, too, and that used to be one of my favorite shows.

We really liked Eureka but it seemed like they lost their way there at the end. I want to enjoy Warehouse 13 but Myka always screeching "Peeeete!" drives me crazy. It's actually become a joke around our house. Anything that rhymes with "Pete" gets the Myka treatment. For example, at Easter there was a lot of "Anybody want some Peeeeeps?"  ;D

ammyd

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 02:02:08 AM »
Brothers & Sisters! I enjoyed the first couple of seasons, then it got a bit dark but I thought they'd cheer it up. By the end I was pretty well convinced that the writers hated the cast and wanted them to suffer. I don't think I actually watched the last season, come to think of it. Normally I'd at least wiki and see how it ended but meh, I don't really care.

My Netflix got me to try Brothers and Sisters and I regret it so very much. I think the writers wanted everybody to suffer because after a while I was pretty sure I was just watching a parody. Which was kind of sad because it did start pretty awesome and had a cast I liked.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »
CSI (all of them), L&O, NCIS, Cold Case, Crossing Jordan, Bones and all the shows like them.

Yes, I like them, Yes I watch some of them.  But I want to yell at the screen a lot.  Maybe I have just led a boring, non-normal life but I've never even thought about having an affair with a co-worker.  Yes, I've been on a good team that got a lot of stuff done, but we didn't spend hours staring at each other and sighing longingly.  We were at work, we did work stuff.

And while the occasional bringing in of outside life can add drama, when the serial murderer or other criminals go after members of the team over and over and over again my first thoughts are "lower the crime rate, everyone move to a different city" and "not this hackneyed plot again".

Please stop with the long lost brothers - Crossing Jordan, Bones and NCIS I am looking at you.  Please stop with the 'dead' characters coming back to life.  Stop piling on disaster after disaster - finding out you are adopted and your mom isn't really your mom after your not-mom just passed away from a disease she picked up in the hospital where she was recovering from being hit by a bus because she was walking away from you after she had gotten mad because you were trying to set boundaries isn't drama, it's just stress.