Author Topic: What to do with an unwanted re-gift? Re-gift it?  (Read 3552 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: What to do with an unwanted re-gift? Re-gift it?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
Is there a reason you can't just hold on to it until you need a bottle of red to serve to guests or to give to someone you believe would enjoy it?

No, no reason other than where to store it for any length of time without it going off* . . . in my fridge? On a shelf in the basement? My summer-hot garage? . . . that's how ignorant I am about wine. ::)

I really don't know anybody that drinks red wine. I even offered it to my daughter (now that she's legal age) to drink or give to one of her friends. She said "No, thanks."

I'm assuming you don't care for this wine, since you didn't mention drinking it yourself (although previous posters have made a good point that you can cook with it).  It's perfectly fine to regift it, but if you are giving it to someone who doesn't drink wine and/or to someone to whom you would not ordinarily give a hostess gift, I think you should explain the situation (Outdoor Girl's wording sounds good).  Without the explanation, it would be strange and awkward to give to someone that you know doesn't drink wine, and in a situation where you don't normally give hostess gifts, it could inadvertently change the dynamic (the next time that person came over, they might wonder if they should bring a hostess gift, and before you know it, you've started a whole thing).

Bold above is exactly what I want to avoid so I don't think I'll bring it to the party, nor even mention it.

Using it for cooking is an excellent thought! (Look for my thread in the Recipe's topic . . . cooking with wine! ;))

*And, if I don't use the whole bottle for cooking:

Or open it and make red wine vinegar and use it to make salad dressing.

I use red wine vinegar quite often for salad dressings, gravies, etc. Is there any trick/recipe for making this out of a bottle of wine? I've never heard of this before.

Thanks, all, for your responses! ;D

(edited to add a comma.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:26:11 PM by jpcher »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 08:55:53 PM »
Unless it is wine that someone made at one of those bottle your own places, it isn't going to go off, anytime soon so storing it until Christmas wouldn't be a problem.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 01:38:05 AM »

If it hasn't been opened, just stick it somewhere reasonably cool and dark (a shelf in the basement sounds fine). I live in a sub-tropical climate, and we keep wine in the study for up to six months, with daytime temperatures of 35 C.

If I have extra wine that I'm not going to drink, I mix half wine and half chicken or beef stock, and reduce it to about 1/4 of it's original volume. Then I stick it in the freezer, and pull it out for use in the slow cooker. It give a nice sauce for something like a pot roast without being too soupy.

m2kbug

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 08:12:25 AM »
Absolutely no one needs to know this is a re-gift of a re-gift.  Goodness gracious, you have a bottle of wine that you would like to share with people who would enjoy it.  So far, the poor thing has been largely unwanted.  Share away!  You don't need to tell anyone of this bottle's history, but it might be a fun tale to tell of the orphaned wine.

Since the hosts of this dinner are non-drinkers, I don't know if this would be appropriate to bring along.  I'd ask first, or just save the wine for a later date. 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 09:45:07 AM »
If it has a cork, store it horizontally to keep the cork wet. Store it in a cool dark place if at all possible. If it's halfway decent, it could last for years that way. Unless you have very high temperatures, you don't need to refrigerate. In fact, red wine is not supposed to be refrigerated.

To make some red wine vinegar, you really should get some mother of vinegar. Here are some instructions on how to make mother and then vinegar. I can't vouch for the quality of those instructions, though.

Blarg314's suggestion of making and freezing a red wine reduction is an excellent idea.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
I am totally in love with the idea of making your own vinegar!

And since you have a free, unwanted bottle of wine, it's completely risk-free!

Once you've decided that, Google is your friend!

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2013/01/make-your-own-red-wine-vinegar.html

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2013/02/your-very-own-vinegar

http://westphoria.sunset.com/2008/02/13/first-step-in-v/

I may have a new project!

Now that I can't eat gluten, baking is not very much fun.
And I've never been big on cooking. But between this and making my own vegetable broth...

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »
Here's an Amazon query for books on making vinegar. Beyond turning wine into vinegar, there are recipes for making flavored vinegars. These make really nice presents.

We have a local wine, beer and cheesemaking shop here in SoCal. I'm sure that you can find similar places elsewhere. Ours is a great source for crafts like making vinegar or cordials.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

cattlekid

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
I would have no problem regifting it.  In DH's FOO, it is a requirement to bring a bottle of booze to the host's house when you are arriving for a get-together.  The end result is that most people have an enormous stash of liquor that they will probably never drink in their lifetimes.  It's a running joke - bottle A is brought to house A, then the family from house A takes bottle A to house B.  Then the family from house B takes bottle A to house C - and the cycle begins again. 

I've often thought about making a small distinguishing mark on bottles we tote around to see if they ever get back to us. 

The whole point is that at least in DH's family, it is totally expected that you don't run out and buy new unless you don't have your own personal stash from a previous event.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
...   I don't owe them a hostess gift, we reciprocate with meals, so it might seem a bit odd showing up with a bottle of wine.)  ...

Then I wouldn't do it this way because the host/hostess might think you're starting a precedent where none existed before.  If you aren't in the habit of exchanging hostess gifts, then the wine (as a gift) this time would be inappropriate.

However, as was suggested by Nutrafoxnerves and Outdoor Girl, you could call the hosts and tell them the history of your wine and ask if they'd like to have it as a possible accompaniment to their meal. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:39:30 PM by gramma dishes »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 04:17:19 PM »
However, as was suggested by Nutrafoxnerves and Outdoor Girl, you could call the hosts and tell them the history of your wine and ask if they'd like to have it as a possible accompaniment to their meal.

You don't even have to tell them the history. You could just say, "Had you guys thought about wine for dinner? I have a bottle I can bring."

The history of that wine is completely unimportant.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »

You don't even have to tell them the history. You could just say, "Had you guys thought about wine for dinner? I have a bottle I can bring."

The history of that wine is completely unimportant.

I respectfully disagree.

I think taking it (or even offering it) with no explanation might put the hosts on the spot to feel obligated to accept the wine even if it didn't go with their meal at all. And/or it might imply that whatever they usually serve for beverage is unacceptable and that wine would be "better".

That's why I thought she should explain where it came from so that they'd know it was neither intended as a hostess gift (prompting discomfort because that isn't done in their group) nor a criticism of their beverage choices.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »
If there's a chance that the wine will come across as a criticism or as a change in the dynamic, then she shouldn't bring it, regardless of where it came from.

I would only offer to bring food/drink to someone else's dinner party if it were something I already had on hand or were going to have on hand easily. But I wouldn't feel obligated to tell people that it had been an unsuccessful gift.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
If I have extra wine that I'm not going to drink, I mix half wine and half chicken or beef stock, and reduce it to about 1/4 of it's original volume. Then I stick it in the freezer, and pull it out for use in the slow cooker. It give a nice sauce for something like a pot roast without being too soupy.

Oh! Another excellent suggestion! Thanks, blarg! ;D

Additional thanks to artk and Toots for the links on making wine vinegar.  ;D

They were quite enlightening. I especially appreciated reading the "tour" on this site http://westphoria.sunset.com/2008/02/13/first-step-in-v/ The photos of the 40-year old Mother, and how it can be broken down into individual gift-sized jars got me to thinking . . . Christmas is coming!  ::)

;D

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 10:22:39 PM »
I've been stuck for what to get my DH, who has to eat carefully (avoid starches). I thought, "I'll get him a red-wine vinegar kit!"

Then I thought, "That's like Homer Simpson's bowling ball."