Author Topic: Any Pop (or Soda) addicts?  (Read 4851 times)

pharmagal

Re: Any Pop (or Soda) addicts?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 03:29:26 AM »
I used to be.  That was all I drank to the point that water tasted disgusting (I love it now.)  Happily I've kicked the habit, although I still enjoy a few sips on special occasions.  Luckily it was easy for me to quit.  I know a few people who got headaches.

eta: CakeBeret also mentioned water. I notice soda and coffee addicts hate water .  Using lots of ice helps in the beginning.  Not sure why since that's still water, only frozen.

I heartily disagree.  I drink at least 8 cups of coffee a day, and have 4 - 5 cans of Coke Zero a week.  I also drink a minimum of 2L of water a day.  I love water.  I just happen to love coffee too.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »
Since I've had to switch to diet I've fallen in love with Diet Dr Pepper, Diet Mountain Dew, Diet Pepsin and Coke Zero. I love soda.

I also drink tons of water and use it as a health barometer ; I know I'm getting a cold when water starts tasting bad. Which considering I drink water constantly at work it's irritating to have to stop snorking it down and go for the Diet Coke in the employee cafeteria.

Crazy Chicken Lady

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »

I like both coffee and water as well. (My water has to have a ton of ice in it though).
I love sugar free Monster Energy drinks too.  Drinking too many is supposed to be bad for your body so I'm trying to cut back.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »
I used to be.  That was all I drank to the point that water tasted disgusting (I love it now.)  Happily I've kicked the habit, although I still enjoy a few sips on special occasions.  Luckily it was easy for me to quit.  I know a few people who got headaches.

eta: CakeBeret also mentioned water. I notice soda and coffee addicts hate water .  Using lots of ice helps in the beginning.  Not sure why since that's still water, only frozen.

I heartily disagree.  I drink at least 8 cups of coffee a day, and have 4 - 5 cans of Coke Zero a week.  I also drink a minimum of 2L of water a day.  I love water.  I just happen to love coffee too.

I disagree as well. I don't drink soda anymore as it gives me heartburn; only when there's nothing else available or once in a blue moon when I get a craving for it. But I never really had any addiction to any one particular brand or variety. I'd do both diet and regular, although diet now gives me headaches. 

I have coffee in the am, and I drink flavored seltzer or water the rest of the time. I actually prefer that to soda, but I will indulge every now and again.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 09:47:19 AM »

I also loved RC (can't find it anywhere anymore), and 1980s Pepsi (remember the 16 oz glass bottles, with the metal bottle caps that had the removable teeth, and the foamy paper label?)

Our Walmart still carries RC and some of its other brands, but only in the 2 liter, 6 and 12 packs, no 24 cases. My friend cannot have aspartame, but RC is something she can drink. (NW Illinois)

veronaz

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 10:31:52 AM »
I didn't know they still made RC Cola.  I remember drinking it, but it's been a long time.

Anyone remember 3V Cola?  The ad slogan was "Vim, vugor, vitality" and it was printed on the bottle.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:49:30 AM by veronaz »

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »

Ooops.  I forgot to add "many" soda and coffee drinkers.  Of course I know there are no absolutes :-[.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
Coca-Cola.  I always have a can of it on me, and am kind of known for it.    ;D

Lately, I have been making an effort to drink more water, but I don't really like it very much.  It kind of makes me sick to my stomach at times, although there are occasions when I absolutely crave it.

Pepsi is, for me, a poor substitute for Coke.    ;)  It's a little too sweet and not fizzy enough for me.  Coke is "spicier" and tastes so good with other things, like chocolate.

Recently, I have been having the occasional Dr. Pepper.  In the past, I never really liked it, but it's good as an occasional change-up.  That and a Mountain Dew now and again.    8)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

katiescarlett

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »
Diet Dr Pepper for me. I quit for about a month last year and managed to get hooked again. I really need to stop! The problem is that I hate the taste of water; I've tried all the usual tricks and I just don't like it. When I quit Dr Pepper last year I got to where I could drink water without cringing but I still didn't like it.

Katiescarlett, I'd be on board with that.

This is great!  We should do it!

lilfox

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »
Off and on addict.  For years I would drink 1-2 cans of Coke (Classic only) per day.  Not a whole lot, but it was a very specific thing - had to be canned, had to be cold, had to be Coke.

About four years ago I tapered off and started on green tea and flavored decaf coffee in an effort to reduce my caffeine to very little (or in the case of the tea, a healthier form).  Of course, later that led to drinking one cup of regular coffee per day and very little soda for a few years.  Now I compromise.  Half-caf coffee in the morning and a Coke or Coke Zero if I need an extra boost that day.

I did a blind taste test once in a small class.  I was so confident I could tell apart Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, and Diet Pepsi.  Except, the taste test used room temp 2L bottles.  Apparently my taste buds were highly refined for chilled, canned versions but not at all for room temp, slightly flat versions.  Not only did I do very poorly at discriminating, I had to taste the (to me) worst versions of all of these.  Yuck.  The chill factor outweighs (or masks?) the flavor to me and is so important that I would take an ice cold Pepsi over a room temp Coke every time.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
Not really, but I am hosting a Soda Party this weekend- I have Cola, Cherry Cola and Victorian Lemonade(very gingery) from a company called Fentiman's, Ginger Ale by Natural Brew, plus Hazelnut and Vanilla syrups for Italian Sodas lined up.

We're going to have the sodas, and pizza, then play board games.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »
Mello Yello, Diet Pepsi, and Diet Dr. Pepper for me.  Also the occasional root beer float.  I try not to overdo it with the soda, though.

texgalatheart

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
i used to drink Diet Coke (or Diet Pepsi or Diet Dr Pepper) all the time. I started to limit myself to 1 at lunch time as the caffiene would keep me awake. I read several articles about how the chemicals in diet drinks made you eat more/made it harder to loose weight. In July 2012 i drank my last soft drink. I drink Unsweet tea (i grew up with it - never liked sweetened), lemonade  and water - all with lots of ice. I drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
I'm an emotional eater, so I use soda instead of food. This probably saves me a thousand calories a day, especially now that it's summer and my kids all have to be right on top of me all the time. (I love you guys, but Mommy needs to breathe her own air.) I drink diet or some of the Zero/Ten sodas. My favorites are diet cherry whatever--Pepsi, Coke or Dr. Pepper. I try to limit myself to two a day, but a lot of times I end up with three. I also make myself drink four glasses of water before I have my first soda, because it's easy to forget about the water.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 01:08:42 AM »
*raises hand* Pepsi addict here...it's about all I drink. (I do switch it up with tea every once in a while!) I do wish I didn't go through it so dingdangity fast, but at the same time...nope. Not giving up my sweet caffeinated lifeblood, lol. :)

(It really does help me out though, mostly as I'm hypoglycemic and pretty much can't function without caffeine. I could switch to a different caffeinated soda, I suppose, but goshdurnit I can't stand Coke and most store-brand colas give me headaches...and I don't touch Mountain Dew, but that's one for the gross-out thread.)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!