Author Topic: Any Pop (or Soda) addicts?  (Read 5300 times)

veronaz

Any Pop (or Soda) addicts?
« on: June 25, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »
I am seriously addicted to Pepsi; going on 6 years now.  Not diet, just the regular hard stuff.

I have loved pop all my life, even as a kid.  I varied the kinds...…often a fruity pop or root beer, sometimes Coke or Pepsi.

As an adult I went back and forth but always leaned towards Pepsi.  In the morning I drink coffee and juice.  But as the day moves forward, I crave my Pepsi.

Make no mistake – I like iced tea, lemonade, Crystal Light, Faygo, Vernors, various juices, and I drink lots of water.  Today I made lemon/limeade but I couldn’t stand not having my Pepsi.  I put it in the freezer for a few minutes, then, mmmmm.  (I actually think it gives me a 'high' as it goes down.)

I know someone who kicked a Diet Coke addiction and gave up ALL cold drinks except water and milk.  I can’t imagine, although I'd love to be able to do that.

Anyone else have this problem?

Snooks

Re: Any Pop (or Soda) addicts?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »
Diet Coke.  Not the European Coca Cola Light, or Coke Zero.  I have to limit myself to one at lunchtime and one with dinner but on holiday all bets are off.

cwm

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:21:05 PM »
Until a year ago, I'd have been on that boat with you. I gave up soda early July last year and haven't looked back. I drink lots of water and iced tea, though.

There's this one local place to me that makes root beer with uncarbonated water. It's DELICIOUS and I really love it. Past that, though, any time I grab a soda it just tickles my nose and doesn't actually entice me any longer.

Also, I managed to lose about 10 pounds just by giving up soda. Nothing else. Of course when I changed to a desk job I got it all back, but it was the easiest 10 pounds I ever lost.

TylerBelle

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
Classic Coke is my vice. I can enjoy others as Dr.P, Rootbeer, etc., from time to time, but I always come back to Coke. Crush brand Grape is also a fave (Coke's still #1 though :D).
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

3angels

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:38:34 PM »
Dr. Pepper addict here  :-\

Isilleke

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
Coca Cola for me.

Although it really is getting out of hand. I'm at a point where I'm drinking 1,5L a day... It's just so easy to think "at least it's nothing worse".

katiescarlett

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
Classic Coke for me as well.  Any of you guys interested in being accountable to each other and quitting pop together?  I really, really need to!

CakeBeret

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
Diet Dr Pepper for me. I quit for about a month last year and managed to get hooked again. I really need to stop! The problem is that I hate the taste of water; I've tried all the usual tricks and I just don't like it. When I quit Dr Pepper last year I got to where I could drink water without cringing but I still didn't like it.

Katiescarlett, I'd be on board with that.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
I used to be.  That was all I drank to the point that water tasted disgusting (I love it now.)  Happily I've kicked the habit, although I still enjoy a few sips on special occasions.  Luckily it was easy for me to quit.  I know a few people who got headaches.

eta: CakeBeret also mentioned water.  I notice soda and coffee addicts hate water.  Using lots of ice helps in the beginning.  Not sure why since that's still water, only frozen.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:03:28 PM by rose red »

robobecky

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
I used to be a Pepsi addict, I could easily go through a 2L a day.  I finally stopped in March of last year because I was getting acid reflux from it.  I decided the taste was not worth the pain and just stopped drinking it cold turkey.  I stick with water, some soy milk, and the occassional apple juice.

thedudeabides

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »
I like Pepsi pretty well, but I love Powerade. Especially the blue. I blame it on my high school stocking that instead of soda in the vending machines.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »
I'm on my 8th day of no pop! I would have a Coke Zero in the morning, then about 4 caffeine free Diet Pepsis during the day. Since I was only dropping the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee in caffeine, I didn't get the headaches.

I drink lots of decaff iced tea, water, and water with a little Mio in it. I tried Propel, but it is way too sweet and expensive. I have to dilute the ones I have left to enjoy them.

I had heard many times that artificial sweeteners, particularly Aspartame, hinder weight loss. It hadn't bothered me before, but this time, after dieting unsuccessfully for a couple of weeks then dropping the pop, I'm losing weight pretty rapidly, so it seems to be a factor now. Don't know why.

I quit smoking and quit drinking, so dropping pop was pretty easy, so far, compared to that. I hope go back to at least the Coke Zero if I can, some day.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 05:45:21 PM »
I love Diet Pepsi.  I allow myself one 12 oz. bottle of it per day.  :)

Pen^2

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »
I am literally dependent on fizzy drinks.

I recently moved to a very hot, humid climate. Not at all what I am used to, but I thought I'd just bear with it, drink plenty of water, and get used to it. Turns out, I was sweating waaaay too many electrolytes, which aren't replaced just by water. I didn't alter my diet either, so I basically had no way to replace them. I started getting a perpetual headache and feeling almost hungover constantly, but I stubbornly thought if I just put up with it my body would adjust to things.

We found out how bad this can be when my husband found me passed out on the living room floor one morning. When I came too I was delusional and under the impression that I was at the shop buying Sprite and Gatorade. My cravings have in the past pinpointed deficiencies with amazing accuracy, and so once DH had stabilised me somewhat, he ran and bought the above drinks, which I practically inhaled. The doctor later explained what was what, and said the easiest way to sort things out (apart from staying indoors more with the lovely aircon) was to drink loads of stuff with electrolytes.

So I drink two 1.5L bottles a day and now I'm fine. No more symptoms of low electrolytes. I joke and call it aqua vitae. It's weird being dependent on Sprite and Fanta. I crave them but don't enjoy the taste too much: they're just too sweet. I never used to drink them much (maybe once a month at a friend's place or something) before all this and I'm not used to it. It's strange.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »
I have gone a week without Diet Coke. I drank about 6 cans a day or more. The expense was killing me. I didn't notice any health effects from drinking so much Diet Coke.I switched to plain water and sparkling water. I am taking caffeine pills to help ease the transition. I plan to taper off the caffeine pills. Water does taste a lot better now.

I do allow myself other drinks such as cocktails, beer and wine. I don't drink alcohol often. I don't like coffee or tea. I don't drink juice because I eat fruit already so no need to have the extra calories.