Author Topic: Any Pop (or Soda) addicts?  (Read 5005 times)

BarensMom

Re: Any Pop (or Soda) addicts?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »
Diet Coke for me - I can't stand that other stuff (starts with a "P").  I've cut seriously back over the years, and am currently limiting myself to one (or two or heck, maybe three) a day.  I've replaced it mostly with flavored fizzy mineral water and the lightly carbonated ICE drinks.

When I worked at Evil Oil Company, I had a 6-8 can/day habit.  DH bought me a fridge solely to keep my 24-packs of Diet Coke cold.  I was usually cool about sharing, although I finally had to place a large orange P-Touch label on the door with skull & crossbones "DO NOT TAKE THE LAST 6." 

(When I left EOC, some of the jerks tried to keep me from taking my fridge and the matching microwave.  Fortunately, we had the foresight to keep the receipts with the last 4 digits of our personal CC.  Took the wind out of their sails.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:57:38 PM by BarensMom »

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »
Used to be addicted to vanila coke. Not so much anymore but I have ginger beer from my Sodastream.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »
Pepsi for me, I will drink Croak products if there is nothing else available (like on Disney property), but I'm a tried and true Pepsi drinker. Occasionally I will drink the different flavors of Pepsi (Lime, Cherry, etc), but the original is my fave.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »
I used to be addicted to Coke and/or Dr. Pepper.  I gave it up for a year and now I only drink it as a "treat".  I'm so glad I "kicked the habit.  And yes, I drink mostly water now.  I love it and can't believe I used to drink so much soda!

SheltieMom

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 08:05:52 PM »
I don't willingly drink anything but Diet Dr. Pepper. It's my one addiction, and I'm sticking to it!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

veronaz

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
OP here.  I actually like water, a lot.  I carry a water bottle with me when I go out.

I guess I didn't see myself as a Pepsi 'addict' because i never drink it in the morning (I've known of Diet Coke folks to do that).  But around 11am - 12 noon, the craving starts.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »
I am literally dependent on fizzy drinks.

I recently moved to a very hot, humid climate. Not at all what I am used to, but I thought I'd just bear with it, drink plenty of water, and get used to it. Turns out, I was sweating waaaay too many electrolytes, which aren't replaced just by water. I didn't alter my diet either, so I basically had no way to replace them. I started getting a perpetual headache and feeling almost hungover constantly, but I stubbornly thought if I just put up with it my body would adjust to things.

We found out how bad this can be when my husband found me passed out on the living room floor one morning. When I came too I was delusional and under the impression that I was at the shop buying Sprite and Gatorade. My cravings have in the past pinpointed deficiencies with amazing accuracy, and so once DH had stabilised me somewhat, he ran and bought the above drinks, which I practically inhaled. The doctor later explained what was what, and said the easiest way to sort things out (apart from staying indoors more with the lovely aircon) was to drink loads of stuff with electrolytes.

So I drink two 1.5L bottles a day and now I'm fine. No more symptoms of low electrolytes. I joke and call it aqua vitae. It's weird being dependent on Sprite and Fanta. I crave them but don't enjoy the taste too much: they're just too sweet. I never used to drink them much (maybe once a month at a friend's place or something) before all this and I'm not used to it. It's strange.

I never thought about it like that.  Here during Summer, I love Sprite.  It just tastes... good, especially if I just got out of the heat.

Mostly, I'm a Root Beer and Coca Cola addict, with a taste of Ginger Ale and Cream Soda.  I think Barqs is my favorite Root Beer, while I have no favorite brand on the other sodas. :) Except Coke.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »
I used to be a Pepsi addict and I loved IBC root beer, although the IBC was a rare treat, because it is so much more expensive than the big pops.

Now, I'm a Diet Pepsi addict (although I'm down to 1-2 cans a day) and will occasionally pick up Diet IBC (it tastes like root beer candy!) on sale.

mamakinz

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »
I'm another Pepsi addict -- DH and I never used to drink any soda except when we went out -- when I was in college money was /really/ tight -- so purchasing a drink that had absolutely no nutritional value wasn't a smart move. Then I graduated college and my first nursing job was on the night shift and I needed caffeine to help stay awake!! I can't stand coffee or tea, so soda it was!! And I can't drink aspartame, so full sugar versions for me!!! 

I am still on night shift 20 years later and still have the soda at night for the caffeine -- usually 1 can driving to work and 2 cans during work.  But on my days off I usually only have soda if I am out running errands -- cuz I get thirsty and poor planning always means I don't bring water with me. And I hate paying for water. 

I have well water at home, so it tastes good and it's super cold without ice!! Can't stand city water with all the chemicals so I rarely drink water at work -- it's nasty!!!

I talk about getting a brita water bottle with the filter to see if that helps the taste of the water at work, maybe I can cut down to 1 can of soda during work!!!

Library Dragon

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »
I used to be a Pepsi addict.  Years ago I had an old desk that had the space and moveable shelf for a typewriter.  It was the perfect place to keep 24 can cases of Pepsi.  I drank them at room temperature. 

I once participated in a blind taste test at college by psychology students who were surprised that I could indentify Pepsi, Coke, RC Cola, and the store brand. 

Now it's diet Pepsi.  I drink iced tea at home because I would DRINK EVERY LAST OUNCE if I had diet Pepsi in the house.  If I buy bottles or cans for work I keep them in the car to keep temptation a few steps away.

My other preference is Ayala's Herbal Water.  I really like the cinnamon and orange or ginger and lemon.  I buy it wholesale.  A bit more expensive than my beloved diet Pepsi, but better for me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Curious Cat

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »
I used to be.  That was all I drank to the point that water tasted disgusting (I love it now.)  Happily I've kicked the habit, although I still enjoy a few sips on special occasions.  Luckily it was easy for me to quit.  I know a few people who got headaches.

eta: CakeBeret also mentioned water.  I notice soda and coffee addicts hate water.  Using lots of ice helps in the beginning.  Not sure why since that's still water, only frozen.

I'd describe myself as a coffee addict but I love water and can't stand soda. I don't like the way my teeth feel after I drink it.  For cold drinks I go for ice water with lemon, like, or even cucumber slices depending on what I've got in the house.

Girly

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »
I love Diet Coke, but I also love Sweet Tea.

Girly

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
I used to be.  That was all I drank to the point that water tasted disgusting (I love it now.)  Happily I've kicked the habit, although I still enjoy a few sips on special occasions.  Luckily it was easy for me to quit.  I know a few people who got headaches.

eta: CakeBeret also mentioned water.  I notice soda and coffee addicts hate water.  Using lots of ice helps in the beginning.  Not sure why since that's still water, only frozen.

I'd describe myself as a coffee addict but I love water and can't stand soda. I don't like the way my teeth feel after I drink it.  For cold drinks I go for ice water with lemon, like, or even cucumber slices depending on what I've got in the house.

If the only coffee I drink is Mocha.... can I still say I don't drink coffee? Mocha really is just a weird flavored Hot Chocolate that keeps me up late, isn't it?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 02:04:25 AM »
My all-time favorite soda was Jolt Cola.  The old-school pre-energy drink era soda.  "All the sugar and twice the caffeine."

I also loved RC (can't find it anywhere anymore), and 1980s Pepsi (remember the 16 oz glass bottles, with the metal bottle caps that had the removable teeth, and the foamy paper label?)

Nowadays, here's what's in the fridge we have for soda (hey, some people have a beer fridge, this has to be a better idea...):

Pepsi Throwback, Mountain Dew Throwback, Coke, Cherry Coke, Vanilla Coke, Store Brand Cola (it's good stuff), Schweppes Ginger Ale, Mello Yello...  and various B-List sodas as the mood strikes us.  Here's the secret: I wait for "4 for $12" 12-pack sales.  That comes out to a quarter per can.  We have an actual stack of sodas waiting to be fridged.  :)

So yeah, we kind of like soda.  However, we also keep a case of bottled water in that fridge, and the door hold three one gallon drink containers.  For the longest time, it was sweet teas (and flavored teas) only, but these days I'm also making Kool-Aid (the unsweetened, so I know it's cane sugar going into it instead of HFCS.)

The tap water here tastes lousy, so we like to have a variety of replacements.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 02:52:02 AM »
I used to love Diet Coke. I gave it up for Lent last year and on Easter Sunday I treated myself to a can of overly sweet brown water  :'( Can't drink it any more.

On the plus side, going Diet Coke free meant my blood sugar issues disappeared.