Author Topic: Any Pop (or Soda) addicts?  (Read 5002 times)

Library Dragon

Re: Any Pop (or Soda) addicts?
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 01:14:07 AM »
If you crave a real RC experience go to the RC Cola and Moon Pie Festival in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. It's lots o' fun. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

BarensMom

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 02:58:09 AM »
If you crave a real RC experience go to the RC Cola and Moon Pie Festival in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. It's lots o' fun.

That's where my mother was born, so it explains her cola addiction, although her preference was Coca Cola.

Library Dragon

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2013, 01:48:28 AM »

That's where my mother was born, so it explains her cola addiction, although her preference was Coca Cola.

Well every town has to have a wild child  ;)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
...I did a blind taste test once in a small class.  I was so confident I could tell apart Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, and Diet Pepsi.  Except, the taste test used room temp 2L bottles.  Apparently my taste buds were highly refined for chilled, canned versions but not at all for room temp, slightly flat versions.  Not only did I do very poorly at discriminating, I had to taste the (to me) worst versions of all of these.  Yuck.  The chill factor outweighs (or masks?) the flavor to me and is so important that I would take an ice cold Pepsi over a room temp Coke every time.

(on this topic but not replying directly)
I'm such an addict, I've paid to go to soda tastings by a soda expert.  Of cool and interesting sodas not easily available.  He said that tastings have shown that people prefer one with the higher carbonation.  That is why people like glass bottle sodas.  They have 10X the pressure of a 2-liter bottle.  Even in a coke vs. pepsi tasting. 

-------------

On the RC availability, I've noticed more grocery stores are carrying it lately.  I suspect there are more people like me who like the Splenda.  Because of the Splenda, Diet RC doesn't go funky when it is stored too hot. 

Verloona Ti

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »
I really miss Green Tea ginger ale and Schweppe's raspberry ginger ale in cans (plastic two liter bottles are an abomination IMO) . :-( 

I used to drink nothing but  Coca-cola, Sprite, Minute Maid orange soda (anyone else remember that?) ...but I have pretty much given up sodas. I now drink them only as a  special treat, and otherwise drink nothing but cold water, with a cup of coffee in the morning for its health benefits.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »
I really miss Green Tea ginger ale and Schweppe's raspberry ginger ale in cans (plastic two liter bottles are an abomination IMO) . :-( 

I used to drink nothing but  Coca-cola, Sprite, Minute Maid orange soda (anyone else remember that?) ...but I have pretty much given up sodas. I now drink them only as a  special treat, and otherwise drink nothing but cold water, with a cup of coffee in the morning for its health benefits.

I had a really rough time switching from glass bottles to cans and held on until I really had no choice.

We have one frequent guest who contributes 2 liter bottles to the party. I won't touch them, and if she or her adult children won't take them home, they get tossed, even unopened. Of course opened ones are dumped imediately after the party. I find the liquids help clean the garbage disposal. This is probably the only truly, obviously wasteful thing I do.

bloo

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2013, 11:52:08 AM »
Coke / Diet Coke addict since I was an older kid. Probably part of the reason for my frequent trips to the dentist, even now.

About 6-7 years ago, I was tired of being addicted to pop (and felt like I didn't want my kids to guzzle it like I did), so I just quit. Cold turkey. I remember my first sip of soda after a year or so and I was grossed out by the sweetness and chemically-ness of it.

I love coffee and don't think I'm an addict, although I'd probably drink 3 or 4 cups throughout the day if it wasn't such a pain to make it and clean up afterwards.

Count me in as one of those soda-drinkers that always hated water, until I gave up soda. I'm still not a fan of water but I need it and crave it regularly.

Isilleke

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »
Reviving this thread just to say that 10 days ago I went from 1,5L Coca-Cola a day to absolutely nothing!

It may not be all that long yet, but I do feel proud of myself that I can resist the temptation. (We have always at least 20 bottles in the house, since all my siblings drink nothing else too.)

bloo

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
Reviving this thread just to say that 10 days ago I went from 1,5L Coca-Cola a day to absolutely nothing!

It may not be all that long yet, but I do feel proud of myself that I can resist the temptation. (We have always at least 20 bottles in the house, since all my siblings drink nothing else too.)

Props to you, Isilleke! Hang in there! :)

veronaz

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
Isilleke, that's quite an accomplishment!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »

Good job! Like giving up anything else, its not easy.  Growing up, we rarely had soda in my house, except for special occasions or as a treat. We had a local bottler and you could buy their stuff at many stores, and bring the bottles back for refills.

My dad would get a case, mostly seltzer, tonic, etc. with a few grape, orange and root beer thrown in. Which we had once in a blue moon, but not on a regular basis. So I was never a huge soda drinker. 

By contrast, my BFF's house you could always get Coke or sweetened iced tea made from a mix. To this day, no one in her family can drink anything else, and many of them have health issues due to poor diet, etc., including the massive soda consumption.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »
I don't always DO lent, but when I have it has been soda I've given up. 

MrTango

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2013, 04:06:01 PM »
The 24-oz bottle of Dr. Pepper sitting next to my computer is telling me I can quit any time I want.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »
I need an intervention.

I have family visiting my area this week and all they drink is soda so it's been difficult not to indulge!  I don't drink soda anymore and I don't crave it, except for this week....I WANT TO DRINK IT!!!!!!!!  They bought 4 2Liters.  I can go pour myself a nice tall glass of coke right now.  Ugh!!!!!!!!

KaraokeMom

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
I used to be addicted to Coke (had to be bottles/cans - no fountain drinks for me). 6-8 cans a day every day. We would shop at Sam's for my supply every week (and sometimes twice).

Also had coffee in the morning (iced or not). And iced tea when I couldn't get either one of those. You could say I was addicted to caffeine. Well, first coffee didn't taste good. Then, I tried MIOs. Made the water taste so much better! I finally stopped drinking Coke and switched to MIOs and iced tea. Still some caffeine but not nearly as much. And I'm saving at least 1000 calories a day...

A few days ago, though, I was feeling sick and asked my DH to bring home something carbonated. All they had was Mexican Coke. What's that, you may ask? Glass bottles with the old-fashioned top, made with real sugar. WOW! I now know what my splurge (bday, xmas, etc) drink is going to be.  But since they're hard to find and kind of expensive, I luckily can't have them all the time.