Author Topic: S/O What to say about a bad tattoo? Anything?  (Read 3273 times)

purple

Re: S/O What to say about a bad tattoo? Anything?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 10:36:28 PM »
I'm kind of confused.  I thought people who got tattoos wanted people to notice them.   ???

People get tattoos for their own reasons.  I'm sure that there are people around who get them simply because they want attention.  There are other people who get them for other reasons.

But...if you are putting a visible mark on your body, it's a sign of something to the outer world. Gramma Dishes wasn't saying that people get them purely for attention - they get them, I presume, as a visible mark of often intensely meaningful and personal things in their lives. I want a couple of tattoos once I have the expendable income, and I'd certainly not want to spend hundreds of dollars on something just to hide it and never want to talk about it. Please let me know if I've misinterpreted your meaning.

For me, the money I've spent means nothing.  I didn't get them for attention.  It's hard to explain why I got them, but I consider them absolutely mine and not for anybody else.

I think this is one of those things that's different for everybody and we are never, ever going to reach a general consensus.  I'm a private person.  I don't talk about my feelings or reasons for doing much of anything with much of anyone - so perhaps I'm the 'exception' here (I often am!).

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »
I'm kind of confused.  I thought people who got tattoos wanted people to notice them.   ???

People get tattoos for their own reasons.  I'm sure that there are people around who get them simply because they want attention.  There are other people who get them for other reasons.

But...if you are putting a visible mark on your body, it's a sign of something to the outer world. Gramma Dishes wasn't saying that people get them purely for attention - they get them, I presume, as a visible mark of often intensely meaningful and personal things in their lives. I want a couple of tattoos once I have the expendable income, and I'd certainly not want to spend hundreds of dollars on something just to hide it and never want to talk about it. Please let me know if I've misinterpreted your meaning.

There's a tattoo that I want because it's a symbol that's very meaningful to me. I'm not getting it to get attention, but it's not that I'm hiding it either (it's going to be in a place that's covered by business attire, but I won't mind if someone sees it when I'm in attire that shows it). It's...sort of not for anybody else at all. It will neither be a secret nor something done to say anything to the outer world. Does that make sense?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »
But if I were to see you at a time when your tattoo was showing, would you be offended if I looked at it?  Or complimented it?

Obviously I'd never say anything bad about it, partly because I'd never do that and partly because I'm sure any inking you'd have done would be in good taste so there wouldn't be anything bad to say.  But I'd probably notice it and I might want to comment on it in much the same way I'd want to tell you that you had on the cutest pair of red shoes I'd ever seen.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »
But if I were to see you at a time when your tattoo was showing, would you be offended if I looked at it?  Or complimented it?

No, not at all. I wasn't agreeing with that line of thought, just disagreeing with the idea that all tattoos are just to draw attention from others.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 11:36:14 PM »

No, not at all. I wasn't agreeing with that line of thought, just disagreeing with the idea that all tattoos are just to draw attention from others.

But...that's not what was being said. I was only saying that it seems odd to get something visible on your body only to cover it up and never want to discuss it, because it's so personal and intimate to you. I apologize if what I wrote before sounded as if I believed tattoos were for attention's sake alone.  :-\
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 07:03:03 AM »

But...that's not what was being said. I was only saying that it seems odd to get something visible on your body only to cover it up and never want to discuss it, because it's so personal and intimate to you. I apologize if what I wrote before sounded as if I believed tattoos were for attention's sake alone.  :-\

Sorry, it wasn't necessarily directed at you personally, it was an idea that seemed to be floating around the thread. I probably shouldn't have quoted you specifically; I only did it because I was also addressing the "outer world" idea, but it made it look like I was singling you out.

purple

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »

Not offended, but definitely uncomfortable and I'd aim to politely shut down the conversation as quickly as possible.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 11:20:48 PM »
Purple is right.  I don't mind people commenting on my tattoos.  I have seven, and four of those are on my left forearm and almost always exposed.  Sometimes I'm happy to talk about them if people ask.  Sometimes I don't feel like it and do what purple does, which is politely shut the conversation down by either beandipping or politely saying something like, "I'd rather not talk about it, but thanks for the compliment."

Everyone who has tattoos gets them for different reasons, and those reasons definitely run the gamut from "I just like how it looks" to something so intensely personal that you keep it completely 100% to yourself.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

BarensMom

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »
However, is it rude to ask about a tattoo?  I'm of the mindset that a tattoo is a work of art and, while I don't go out of my way, if I'm standing in line and the next person has an extremely well-done tattoo, I'm always tempted to inquire (where, when, who, what).  The why is none of my business.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
However, is it rude to ask about a tattoo?  I'm of the mindset that a tattoo is a work of art and, while I don't go out of my way, if I'm standing in line and the next person has an extremely well-done tattoo, I'm always tempted to inquire (where, when, who, what).  The why is none of my business.

If I don't know the person beyond standing in a line with them, I don't ask. I've had too many friends who felt pestered by that stuff. However, I don't think it's necessarily wrong, as long as you're willing to take "Don't want to talk about it" for an answer.

Vita brevis, ars longa

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
I can only speak for myself of course, but I don't mind if someone asks about my tattoos.  If I feel chatty, I'll talk, and if someone wants to know where I got them done (which is the question I get the most often) I don't mind sharing.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Lynnv

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 10:07:52 PM »

I am of the opinion that it is on par with asking someone where they got their hair done.  Fine to ask as long as you are willing to take a brush off as an answer (if the person doesn't wish to talk about it).

I might or might not, depending on mood, be willing to talk about why I got a tattoo.  But I am pretty much always willing to tell someone about my artist as I think he deserves the kudos for his work.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Micah

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 05:13:01 AM »
I have two large well done (expensive) tattoos and one smaller, baaaaad one. The two larger ones can be shown off or hidden depending on my mood or if I'm at work. One is both celebrating my love for horses and memorialising one that's past over the rainbow bridge. The other is the TARDIS flying inside a nebula. They are both deeply personal for me, but I also love showing them off. I have no problem with people looking at or commenting on them.

But, I'm a fairly extroverted person as well. I have multiple facial piercings and my hair colour and style changes weekly, lol. It's a conversation starter. The highlight of a recent stay in hospital was a young girl (who turned out to be autistic) coming very close to me. She stared very intently and said, "Your face bits are really cool. Do you have any others?" When I stuck out my tongue to show my tongue piercing she said, in tones of absolute awe, "Oooooh, aweeeesome." Her carer was concerned that she was bothering me, but she brightened an otherwise really bad day.
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."