Etiquette School is in session! > "Have you tried the bean dip?"

Unpleasantness Evaded

(1/2) > >>

CrochetFanatic:
It bugs me when people ask me to "Like" their pages, whether I've seen them or not.  If I like something, I'll click the "Like" button.  Yesterday, a family member said, "You should like my page."  Not a super big offense, but it seems rude to me.  I nodded and asked if such-and-such event was still going to happen, and the conversation moved on from there.  No awkwardness here!  :)

MrTango:
I agree completely.

I think a good stock phrase would be "I'll take a look. Beandip?"*

Also for people I've de-friended/blocked on FB, when they ask me in person about it, my go-to phrase is "I'll have to check my settings.  You know Facebook: always changing how their settings work."

*And this is coming from someone who really dislikes conversational bean dip.

Mental Magpie:
I like the noncommittal answer as a means of beandip.  "I'll have to take a look." is a good one, as mentioned above.

Purpley:
Are they asking you in person or sending out a Facebook invitation/post asking you to like their page?

If it is the latter, keep in mind that Facebook makes it very easy for anyone to cast a wide net inviting all of their FB friends with one click. It is impersonal, and as such doesn't warrant a response. I get a bunch of these requests routinely and generally ignore them.

However, if this is something that comes up face to face I agree with the previous suggestions that you can say you'll look into it later.

CrochetFanatic:
Wow, I had to think back for a minute.  It was in person, though.  If I remember correctly, it was at a family gathering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version