Author Topic: Unpleasantness Evaded  (Read 4024 times)

CrochetFanatic

Unpleasantness Evaded
« on: June 25, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »
It bugs me when people ask me to "Like" their pages, whether I've seen them or not.  If I like something, I'll click the "Like" button.  Yesterday, a family member said, "You should like my page."  Not a super big offense, but it seems rude to me.  I nodded and asked if such-and-such event was still going to happen, and the conversation moved on from there.  No awkwardness here!  :)

MrTango

Re: Unpleasantness Evaded
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
I agree completely.

I think a good stock phrase would be "I'll take a look. Beandip?"*

Also for people I've de-friended/blocked on FB, when they ask me in person about it, my go-to phrase is "I'll have to check my settings.  You know Facebook: always changing how their settings work."

*And this is coming from someone who really dislikes conversational bean dip.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »
I like the noncommittal answer as a means of beandip.  "I'll have to take a look." is a good one, as mentioned above.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Purpley

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:28:04 PM »
Are they asking you in person or sending out a Facebook invitation/post asking you to like their page?

If it is the latter, keep in mind that Facebook makes it very easy for anyone to cast a wide net inviting all of their FB friends with one click. It is impersonal, and as such doesn't warrant a response. I get a bunch of these requests routinely and generally ignore them.

However, if this is something that comes up face to face I agree with the previous suggestions that you can say you'll look into it later.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:39:12 PM »
Wow, I had to think back for a minute.  It was in person, though.  If I remember correctly, it was at a family gathering.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:20:20 PM »
Depends on the person, too--some people use the words "you should..." as a figure of speech, without meaning it as a command. So "You should like my page!" could be shorthand for, "I think you would enjoy my page, I invite you to look at it. Please comment approvingly if you do enjoy it." I know the "you should..." phrasing rubs some people the wrong way.

For people you personally know, you probably already know if that's how they talk or not, though. :)
~Lynn2000

greencat

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:15:57 PM »
Purpley, it's generally good etiquette on this board to let sleeping threads lie instead of resurrecting them.  This thread in the Forum Announcements folder addresses the issue: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=120022.  You may also want to visit the pinned threads in that folder if you haven't already - there's a lot of important information for new posters there!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »
Purpley, it's generally good etiquette on this board to let sleeping threads lie instead of resurrecting them.  This thread in the Forum Announcements folder addresses the issue: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=120022.  You may also want to visit the pinned threads in that folder if you haven't already - there's a lot of important information for new posters there!

Oh wow, I didn't even notice it was from June 2013!
~Lynn2000