Author Topic: How to say I hate your driving?  (Read 4466 times)

NyaChan

Re: How to say I hate your driving?
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 12:33:17 PM »
"Leader,  I know it is tradition to drive in a line/convoy, however, the last time I made the drive I felt very unsafe with measures people took to keep in a line.  Especially now that there are cell phones, GPS devices, and good directions available online, I think it is better that we all drive as separate cars, not a line.  Regardless of what the rest of the group decides, I will not be driving in the line/convoy from now on."

Army Mom

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 02:27:32 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  I think I will try to blame myself, as in it makes ME nervous to be in the convoy.  I have a great deal of respect for these ladies and they unselfishly devote countless hours to the organization.  I need to tread very carefully because the last thing I want to do is hurt anyone's feelings. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.  I think I will try to blame myself, as in it makes ME nervous to be in the convoy.  I have a great deal of respect for these ladies and they unselfishly devote countless hours to the organization.  I need to tread very carefully because the last thing I want to do is hurt anyone's feelings. 

Safety trumps hurt feelings.  How you respond to the hurt feelings (if there are any) is what matters.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
"Bring up the rear".  Say I will bring up the rear, and i know the route and have a GPS so if anyone gets behind I will ride with them.
Simple but brilliant. 

If there's a need to mark the cars in the convoy, tie matching streamers to the antennae.

For difficult conversations like this, I love the word "uncomfortable".  "The situation makes me very uncomfortable.  It's just a hangup I have."  No one can argue with that.

Anyone else thinking about Sheldon in the road trip episode of The Big Bang Theory?

It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »
Goodness, in a world of cell phones and GPS, what is the point of this? Particularly when it induces people to take ridiculous risks?

I'd explain that we are no longer in the 1950's, and the "elephant train" type of group travel is no longer necessary.

This. I hate it when someone wants me to stay right behind them or they want to stay right behind me. Let's all just use our GPS and we'll all arrive just fine!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »
Well, if they're a generation older, they may have started doing this sort of thing in the days before cell phones and MapQuest/GPS.

I'm hoping they're older than I am.  :P Your post reminds me of when we were trying to convince my 80-year-old mother to get a cell phone for road trips a few yrs ago. She said she'd be fine: she'd just use pay phones she found along the route.  :o

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 09:51:22 PM »
Well, if they're a generation older, they may have started doing this sort of thing in the days before cell phones and MapQuest/GPS.

I'm hoping they're older than I am.  :P Your post reminds me of when we were trying to convince my 80-year-old mother to get a cell phone for road trips a few yrs ago. She said she'd be fine: she'd just use pay phones she found along the route.  :o

Pay phone...what's a pay phone :D

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 08:41:57 AM »
We used to find a bunch of CB radios for this type of thing. It gave the kids a chance to giggle over the CB radios and everyone could stay together. We did this from New Hampshire to Montreal at least once, so it certainly works, even in areas where you'd never manage to keep in visual site.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 03:50:21 PM »
Brings back memories of my brother telling me "you don't need the address - just follow me," and then trying to drive up the off-ramp to a major highway.

He doesn't like it when I tell that story.  >:D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cheyne

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
I got my driver's license in 1978 and have never travelled in a "convoy".  Long before there were GPS and cell phones we had maps, written directions and pay phones and did just fine.  To believe you need to travel this way is ludicrous in the age of insta-communication. 

No amount of respect for someones contribution to an organization would stop me from telling them that what they are doing is dangerous.  PP's have given you good suggestions on how to bring this up and avoid the situation.  You, your DD and her friends health and safety come before some bad driver's snit because they aren't getting their way.

stargazer159

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
Do the parents of the other kids riding know what the convoy is like? I can image they are thinking Kid is riding with Adult A and I know Adult A is a good driver, without realizing what is really happening.

Driving like that is dangerous to the drivers, the kids riding with them, and every other car on the road and should be addressed as a safety concern.

Note: be prepared for the "we've been doing this for however long and nothing bad has happened" argument. That does not make the behavior any less dangerous