Author Topic: RAF Menwith Hill or Harrogate?  (Read 2082 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: RAF Menwith Hill or Harrogate?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
Thanks so much!  My husband actually knows somebody who is living there but off-base, but he isn't married and doesn't have kids so he doesn't know much about houses, etc.  I'd love to live in an English village.  :)  It turns out that our allowance for what we could bring with us is *small*--something like 1/6th of our current possessions--so at least we'd have much less of our stuff if we were living in a smaller house!  I imagine we'd probably leave our furniture behind, which would cut way down on the weight (so that we could take more schoolbooks, yay!) to help keep us within limits, and just get something there.  I'll have to check out the UK craigslist.  :)

I've also come up with a tentative plan for adjusting our school plans.  Our previous plan had us starting U.S. History right around the time that we'd arrive in England.  This is obviously not the best plan, since a) it would be really hard to find as many U.S. history books at the library if we weren't in the U.S. and b) we'd be in Europe, so it would be weird to study American history there.  So instead, we'll start ancient history as planned, but once ancient history is over, if it looks like we'll be going to England, we'll take a break and do American history while we're still here and in such a ripe place for field trips and such (lots of great Revolutionary War and Civil War locations around here).  Then, we'll go back to world history when we hit England.  There's a lot of focus on European history and it'll be great to, say, learn about medieval times and then go see a castle or some such, or learn about the Renaissance and then go to the Louvre and see some of the art.  My husband will probably try to save up lots of leave so that we can take some trips and go all over Europe while we're over there.  :)

Anyway, it's by no means certain that we'll even have the opportunity, but thanks so much everybody for giving me some ideas about how we can make it work!  If you think of anything else, I'd still love to hear it.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
English Heritage/National Trust do a LOT of historical events in the area.  IIRC, English Trust did the most.  Living history at it's finest.  York was a major city in the Middle Ages, sometimes called the Capital of the North.

One was at the grounds of Fountains Abbey.  They called it a "Make a Monk Day."  The kids were dressed in monks' cowls and robes, and then went to different stations to see and try out the kind of things that the monks did.   They had a scriptorium where the kids could see replicas of medieval manuscripts and try writing with goose-quill pens.  Another was laying out a mosaic floor, and a third was trying out replicas of medieval musical instruments.  I think there were a couple more, but I don't remember what they were.  Gardening, maybe?

Another time, at Richmond Castle, they had a man and a horse, and demonstrated different bits of armor for both the man and the horse, showing that you start with this bit and then you put on that part until both of them were in full medieval armor.  There was also an archery demonstration.  Ever see an archer put an arrow through a 3-inch-thick oak plank? 

There is also the Jorvik Viking Centre, which is MAJORLY cool! 

You aren't too far from Sherwood Forest, either, or Scotland. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

NestHolder

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
It might be worth reconsidering the homeschooling while you're in the UK, and sending the children to the local school(s) instead, which would give them and you a better chance to make friends.  I found it very handy to have contact with other mothers while my children were smallish, as there was always someone around who knew about Stuff Going On - things like ballet and gym classes, local football teams etc.

Fleur

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 05:32:11 AM »
Thanks so much!  My husband actually knows somebody who is living there but off-base, but he isn't married and doesn't have kids so he doesn't know much about houses, etc.  I'd love to live in an English village.  :)  It turns out that our allowance for what we could bring with us is *small*--something like 1/6th of our current possessions--so at least we'd have much less of our stuff if we were living in a smaller house!  I imagine we'd probably leave our furniture behind, which would cut way down on the weight (so that we could take more schoolbooks, yay!) to help keep us within limits, and just get something there.  I'll have to check out the UK craigslist.  :)

I've also come up with a tentative plan for adjusting our school plans.  Our previous plan had us starting U.S. History right around the time that we'd arrive in England.  This is obviously not the best plan, since a) it would be really hard to find as many U.S. history books at the library if we weren't in the U.S. and b) we'd be in Europe, so it would be weird to study American history there.  So instead, we'll start ancient history as planned, but once ancient history is over, if it looks like we'll be going to England, we'll take a break and do American history while we're still here and in such a ripe place for field trips and such (lots of great Revolutionary War and Civil War locations around here).  Then, we'll go back to world history when we hit England.  There's a lot of focus on European history and it'll be great to, say, learn about medieval times and then go see a castle or some such, or learn about the Renaissance and then go to the Louvre and see some of the art.  My husband will probably try to save up lots of leave so that we can take some trips and go all over Europe while we're over there.  :)

Anyway, it's by no means certain that we'll even have the opportunity, but thanks so much everybody for giving me some ideas about how we can make it work!  If you think of anything else, I'd still love to hear it.

I have no children, and I rent a small flat, so I'm not much use to you, but can I just say, what a lovely plan!  Going around to see historical sites, and going on cultural trips to Europe sounds amazing. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time if you do go.