Author Topic: Large family vehicles in Europe  (Read 1677 times)

Bluenomi

Re: Large family vehicles in Europe
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »
The cost of bringing your own car will depend on the cost of cars in the UK compared to the US. My parents bought a car in the UK and it worked out better for them to pay to have it shipped to Australia and pay the import duties than to sell it and buy another car over here. They wouldn't have been able to afford the same type of car here with the money they would have got selling it in the UK.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »
Yeah, we lucked out in buying our minivan at the *perfect* time.  We actually bought new, when we'd planned to buy used.  It was right after the economy tanked.  When our car was one year old, its blue book value was higher than the price we paid for it *new*, a year before that!  Not bad.  But of course that was years ago, so I'm not sure how well it would work out now.  But at least knowing that there are car options in the UK, we can try to browse used car listings before we go, get an idea what it would cost, etc., and figure out what makes sense.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »
Do factor in the cost of gas (petrol) I'm paying 1.30 per litre at the cheapest places I can find- out in rural Yorkshire you will be paying a lot more (unless you can get it on base?)

Also the road are a lot more narrow and winding than you will be used to, and the car parking spaces are also smaller.
NE England