Author Topic: First bread machine use - uh-oh, overflow!  (Read 3389 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
First bread machine use - uh-oh, overflow!
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
My husband and I got a bread machine for our wedding, uh, 9 years ago.  Today, I actually tried using it.  :(  Yes, we've been carting it around for 9 years without having used it once.  We loved the idea, just never got around to it.  So, we'd really like to try making bread at home instead of buying it at the grocery store.  I found a great recipe that I wanted to try.

It turned out to taste really good, but there was a slight issue.  It overflowed the little "bucket" part.  I'm not just talking about it having a bit of a muffin-top, which I think is normal, but it filled the entire top of the bread machine such that it was pressed up against the little window on the top.  When it finished, I had to turn the bread machine on its side and sort of dig the bread out.  When it came out, I discovered that the whole "muffin top" section (i.e. the overflow stuff) didn't really cook and was still doughy, so I cut that part off and baked it a bit in the oven.  The rest of the bread turned out perfectly baked and was absolutely delicious!  My kids are thrilled at the idea of having this as their regular bread every day.  Just wait 'til I start replacing more and more of the bread flour with whole wheat...

Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody can tell what I did wrong to cause so much overflow?  This is the recipe I used: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/honey-of-an-oatmeal-bread/  It makes a one-pound loaf.  I have a two-pound loaf machine, so I doubled the recipe exactly.  Was I not supposed to double the yeast when I doubled the recipe?  Or is my machine just not actually able to handle that amount, and I should try making the recipe without doubling and see how that does?  The only change I made to the recipe was to replace one of the cups of bread flour with whole wheat flour (so, when doubled, it was 4 2/3 cups bread flour, and I used 3 2/3 bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat).  I had *planned* to gradually start replacing more of the bread flour with whole wheat to find a good mix.

Any ideas?  I'm not sure if I should try not doubling the recipe next time, or doubling it but not doubling the yeast.  I feel like the bread was heavy enough already, if I double the recipe but *don't* double the yeast, won't it be even heavier?  So I guess I'm inclined to try just doing the recipe without doubling and see what happens.  But I'd love any pointers that you veteran bread machine users might have!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: First bread machine use - uh-oh, overflow!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »
I make bread, but not in a machine.  My brother uses his a lot, though.

What I would try first is using 1.5 times the recipe and see how that works.  It may be that your yeast was really fresh and just rose more.  Double check that it was the right kind of yeast - did you use active dry yeast (traditional) or quick rise yeast or bread machine yeast, etc.

If you double the rest of the ingredients, you should definitely increase the yeast.  If the 1.5 times the recipe doesn't work, try doubling everything else but only use 1.5 times the yeast.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »
I make bread, but not in a machine.  My brother uses his a lot, though.

What I would try first is using 1.5 times the recipe and see how that works.  It may be that your yeast was really fresh and just rose more.  Double check that it was the right kind of yeast - did you use active dry yeast (traditional) or quick rise yeast or bread machine yeast, etc.

If you double the rest of the ingredients, you should definitely increase the yeast.  If the 1.5 times the recipe doesn't work, try doubling everything else but only use 1.5 times the yeast.

POD Outdoor Girl.  Try doing a 1.5x batch.  If that doesn't work then do a 1x batch and see how full the machine gets.

Do you have a kitchenaid/stand mixer?  If so I highly recommend making bread from scratch.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:32:49 PM »
Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of doing the bread from scratch?  I do have a Kitchenaid, but while it technically has a dough hook, my husband has asked me firmly *not* to ever attempt to use it to knead bread, because of the amount of wear it puts on the machine.  I was hoping that with the bread machine, I could just measure and dump in the ingredients, then go do other stuff (I homeschool and I have four children, so doing a lot of kneading and such every day wouldn't be likely to happen).  I even thought about maybe making some pre-measured bags of the dry ingredients that I could just dump in every day and then add the wet ingredients on top.  Hmm, I guess that wouldn't work with the yeast needing to be refrigerated now that it's open.

The yeast is actually very fresh, as I just bought it last night!  It's one of those little jars of Fleischmann's and it's actually "bread machine" yeast.  I thought that would be a good thing.  I'm a little new at this, though!

I could definitely try to do 1.5 times the recipe, it just makes the math a little more complicated, especially when it comes to that 1/3 cup.  :)  But it does sound reasonable, so I guess I'll try it! 

veryfluffy

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 11:51:44 PM »
Depending on what model of machine you have, my recommendation is to use it as a dough-maker, not as a bread-maker. I've had a bread machine for about 5 years, and use it about three times a week -- after the first three or four loaves, I stopped using it to bake the bread and have only used the "dough" programme. Chuck in the ingredients, turn it on, then 90 minutes later your dough is perfectly ready to form into whatever shape you like -- then you wait for the rise, and bake in the oven. You can find recipes for everything adapted for the bread machine dough programme: bagels, ciabatta, cinnamon buns, challah, etc.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 02:05:45 AM »

As far as I understand it, bread machine yeast is more finely textured than active dry yeast, and faster rising. That's not a problem, as long as your recipe calls for that type of yeast - it looks like the recipe you use calls for active dry yeast, which rises more slowly.

Other things that might affect it are ambient temperature and humidity. I find that in the summer I need less yeast compared to the winter, due to the 20C difference in room temperature.

Flour gluten content varies from country to country, which may require some adjustments. 

The thing with bread machines is that you need a good recipe, and you need to follow it carefully, as you can't adjust as you go along the way you do when you're making it by hand (add a little flour, let it rise a little longer, etc).

You can do mixes - mix up all the dry ingredients except the yeast.  My bread machine calls for liquid on the bottom, then the dry ingredients, then you put the yeast in a little hollow in the dry ingredients at the top.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 02:15:24 AM »
Out of curiosity, what's the advantage of doing the bread from scratch?  I do have a Kitchenaid, but while it technically has a dough hook, my husband has asked me firmly *not* to ever attempt to use it to knead bread, because of the amount of wear it puts on the machine.  I was hoping that with the bread machine, I could just measure and dump in the ingredients, then go do other stuff (I homeschool and I have four children, so doing a lot of kneading and such every day wouldn't be likely to happen).  I even thought about maybe making some pre-measured bags of the dry ingredients that I could just dump in every day and then add the wet ingredients on top.  Hmm, I guess that wouldn't work with the yeast needing to be refrigerated now that it's open.

The yeast is actually very fresh, as I just bought it last night!  It's one of those little jars of Fleischmann's and it's actually "bread machine" yeast.  I thought that would be a good thing.  I'm a little new at this, though!

I could definitely try to do 1.5 times the recipe, it just makes the math a little more complicated, especially when it comes to that 1/3 cup.  :)  But it does sound reasonable, so I guess I'll try it! 

I turn my bread measurements into metric, it's much easier measuring in whole numbers. I have a $8 kitchen scale that goes between pounds and grams.  being a little off won't hurt your dough, it's pretty tough and it can't fight back

I'm biased, but when you make the dough from scratch, I think that is rises higher and has a more developed flavor than from a bread machine.  You can also play with braiding and other stacking techniques.

Bread is not something that you need to watch all the time.  My timeline is the following
Depending on the dough, I'll mix it for 7-10 min.  Then I form into a ball and put into a greased bowl with a towel or plastic over top.  I walk away and leave it alone for a few hours.  I come back.  Give it quick knead and form it back into a ball and back in the bowl it goes for another hour or so.  At this point, if you don't have time to finish shaping your loaves you can wrap it in plastic and throw it in the fridge to ******* the yeast.  If it will be a couple of days before you can get to it, then throw it in the freezer

I do my final shaping/braiding or put it in the pan, give it an egg wash, let it proof for 20-30 min and then into the oven it goes
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:17:32 AM by PastryGoddess »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
The bread machine yeast would likely rise more than traditional yeast.  You could try a double batch, cutting the yeast down to 1.5 times the recipe and see if that works.  But if you can figure out the measurements for 1.5 times the recipe and still use 1.5 times the yeast, it should be lighter.  (You said it seemed like a dense, heavy bread.)

And a tip for the measuring:  if it calls for 1/3 cup, go ahead and use your 1/3 cup measure, measuring out 1 full portion and then guestimating 1/2 a portion in the same measuring cup.  Or you convert everything to the same common denominator, if you can do fractions.  1/2 of 1/3 would be 1/6 and 1/3 would be 2/6 so adding them together gives you 3/6 or 1/2.  You could even use a calculator and just round everything to the nearest measure.  1 divided by 3 times 1.5 equals 0.5
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Specky

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »
I have found that a 1.5x the recipe for a 1 lb loaf does quite nicely in my 2lb bread machine. 

Last night, I got brave and programmed a sourdough course into the machine.  This morning, I have an honest-to-Betsy real sourdough loaf (no yeast, just the sourdough starter to leaven) waiting for us.

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:13:51 AM »
I have found that a 1.5x the recipe for a 1 lb loaf does quite nicely in my 2lb bread machine. 

Last night, I got brave and programmed a sourdough course into the machine.  This morning, I have an honest-to-Betsy real sourdough loaf (no yeast, just the sourdough starter to leaven) waiting for us.
Does it taste good?  I have never had any luck getting sourdough to work in a real bread machine.  It never cooks right.

Specky

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
"Does it taste good?  I have never had any luck getting sourdough to work in a real bread machine.  It never cooks right."

My sourdough loving son just pronounced it "great" and "save that recipe", so it is OK.  I used spelt flour instead of wheat (the recipe was for wheat), so I will tweak it the next time by adding a little less water.  Being spelt, it rose way better than I had anticipated.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
I love my bread machine but I do something a little different (was recommended in a bread machine recipe cookbook).

Use regular yeast not bread machine yeast.
Follow the recipe except microwave the water until it is 110F.  Add the sugar and yeast.  Set timer for 10 minutes.
Add other stuff to the basket.  make sure the top surface is flour (salt kills yeast)
When timer dings add water/yeast/sugar mixture.
start bread machine  (not on delay)

(Oh, and weighing the flour is much more accurate)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
If I tried using the machine to make the dough (it has that option) and then cooked it in the oven, could I get a lighter crust, do you think?  The one complaint we have about the bread is the very thick, hard crust.  We're "eat the crust first to get rid of it so we can get to the good part" girls (not sure my husband cares one way or the other).

I had no idea what order to put the stuff in the machine, as I didn't have the manual handy and the recipe and yeast both said to put the ingredient in "in the order recommended by the bread machine."  So I put the yeast on the bottom, then the flour to protect it, then the salt and other dry ingredients, and then the wet ingredients on top.  I'm not sure if there's a better order to do it, if you are going to put everything in and let the bread machine make the dough, at least.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
If I tried using the machine to make the dough (it has that option) and then cooked it in the oven, could I get a lighter crust, do you think?  The one complaint we have about the bread is the very thick, hard crust.  We're "eat the crust first to get rid of it so we can get to the good part" girls (not sure my husband cares one way or the other).

I had no idea what order to put the stuff in the machine, as I didn't have the manual handy and the recipe and yeast both said to put the ingredient in "in the order recommended by the bread machine."  So I put the yeast on the bottom, then the flour to protect it, then the salt and other dry ingredients, and then the wet ingredients on top.  I'm not sure if there's a better order to do it, if you are going to put everything in and let the bread machine make the dough, at least.

Yes you'll get a lighter crust than in the machine

veryfluffy

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »

The usual order is liquids first, then dry, and yeast on top.