General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Giada De Laurentiis has class.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lexophile:

--- Quote from: Hillia on June 27, 2013, 10:33:17 AM ---
--- Quote from: cocacola35 on June 27, 2013, 10:16:56 AM ---Giada is right to stay out of this mess and I don't blame her.  It's unfortunate, but Giada is smart enough to see that by publicly taking sides she would be burning a lot of business and personal bridges.  There is too much at stake here.  Judging by the Food Network's hasty reaction to something Paula did 30 years ago, I bet they'd chop the head off anyone that sided with her as well.  (No pun intended) 

After reading her statement, I agree that she is handling this with grace and class.  I've been a fan of hers for a long time and this just makes me love her more.

--- End quote ---

Paula's words and actions were a lot more recent than 30 years ago, and her son's show has not been cancelled by Food Network at this time.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. While many are trying to downplay the comments by focusing on some things she said a long time ago, more information is surfacing that indicates much more recent statements of an offensive nature.

NyaChan:

--- Quote from: blahblahblah on June 27, 2013, 10:51:07 AM ---While I understand why someone would want to stay out of it, I gotta say that I admire the chefs who have spoken out against her. This isn't just some minor feud/quibble. More people should take public stances against racism, IMO. 

Edward Lee (he was on season 9 of Top Chef) wrote a very thoughtful piece where he said that he had worked with Paula and knew her to be a warm, funny, friendly person, but that none of those qualities trumped racism. I thought he worded it very well; no excessive vitriol ("SHE NEEDS TO BURN IN HELL!!!!") or even any vitriol, really. But he made it clear that he thought what she had done was wrong and that there were no excuses for her behavior.

--- End quote ---

Do you have a link?

blahblahblah:

--- Quote from: NyaChan on June 27, 2013, 02:00:17 PM ---Do you have a link?

--- End quote ---
Here you go!

An excerpt: "Mrs. Deen was gracious, friendly and funny. Unfortunately, none of those qualities trumps racism. I am not an activist. I am just a cook who lives in the South. But my world encompasses many diverse peoples and races, and I know the hurt and the violence that can sting behind a few choice words, even said in jest."

He also sticks up for the South.

NyaChan:
Thanks!  That was a very thoughtful piece.  Go Ed!

Winterlight:

--- Quote from: blahblahblah on June 27, 2013, 10:51:07 AM ---While I understand why someone would want to stay out of it, I gotta say that I admire the chefs who have spoken out against her. This isn't just some minor feud/quibble. More people should take public stances against racism, IMO. 

Edward Lee (he was on season 9 of Top Chef) wrote a very thoughtful piece where he said that he had worked with Paula and knew her to be a warm, funny, friendly person, but that none of those qualities trumped racism. I thought he worded it very well; no excessive vitriol ("SHE NEEDS TO BURN IN HELL!!!!") or even any vitriol, really. But he made it clear that he thought what she had done was wrong and that there were no excuses for her behavior.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I think it's kind of spineless not to say something at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version